BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:52:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

But what does that look like vs classic or Italian machines?

DK-Prof's mustang and a 458 are going to be more expensive to keep on the road vs 911 that suddenly becomes more expensive to repair.  Even the IMS issues are a relatively cheap affair compared to true exotics are they not?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I’ve had 911s.

I have a 987 keeper.

Porsches are cheaper and more reliable, until they aren’t. Almost like they have an expiration date.

ETA: I turn my own wrenches. I have numerous Porsche friends, including one who is partnered in a Porsche dealership, and another who is a partner in a Porsche centric repair, restoration, and customization facility.

But what does that look like vs classic or Italian machines?

DK-Prof's mustang and a 458 are going to be more expensive to keep on the road vs 911 that suddenly becomes more expensive to repair.  Even the IMS issues are a relatively cheap affair compared to true exotics are they not?

I’ve owned Classic and Modern, Exotic and Regular Production. I’ve turned my own wrenches since I was 12.

If I want a daily driver sports car I’ll buy a Porsche. I have done just that several times... entry level with limited options, 2 door, hard top, as stripped as possible. That’s as reliable as you are going to get. Ferrari, Bentley, Aston, don’t make a comparable car. Porsche is alone in that. A Porsche specced that way is like a step up from the sportiest VW.

When you move up to Arf’s dream cars” you enter the rings of expense... maintenance... repair... restore... rebuild... replace.

There’s a reason why a good PPI on a used premium Porsche uncovers a lot of deferred maintenance. Most Porsches are ordered well specced with things like carbon fiber interior trimmings  or yellow paint with matching belts and stitching. Replacing tatty or worn trim is more expensive than you may realize.

Belt service cost on a 80s/90s Ferrari is offset by the cost of refreshing the interior leather with a $100 bottle of “dye.”

A Porsche from the same era has cheaper mechanical costs, but their leather has to be replaced, not re-dyed, and then there’s the disintegrating plastic stuffs.

Classic American cars are a different beast all together, and should never be owned by anyone who isn’t at least a shade tree mechanic. Wiring is cheap and easy, like most related things but time consuming. The real expense for American classics comes from “hot rodding” and customization. Kind of like ARs. It’s hard to leave one stock. Unless you are wanting a 60s Lincoln Continental convertible.

All part of the costs of ownership. That’s my experience anyway.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:07:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:21:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

...  or yellow paint with matching belts and stitching.

Nothing to be embarrassed about.

Porsche management realized that a 911 was a life goal for many of their buyers. It was going to be THIER Porsche so they offered personalizations for a price and made more profit from those than the cars. It’s an expensive option when the car is new and an especially expensive replacement part.

He-who-shall-not-be-named that took over Ferrari after Enzo saw the financial genius of it and pushed Ferrari in that direction.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:30:41 PM EDT
[#5]
1989 K5 Chevrolet Blazer.
Black exterior, charcoal gray interior
4x4, 3.73 gears
4" lift

Yep, I 'm lame
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:34:43 PM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Some of you guys are missing the "must maintain it part"....and are sorely out of touch with how much it costs to keep some of these cars posted, running. Even basic wear items such as rotors and pads.
View Quote

I do that kind of thing myself; stuff I cant do I'm good for. I know peeps.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#9]

So fits in the rules, if it's paid for only have to have liability insurance I could afford that, I'm a master mechanic with body and paint experience so I can literally repair anything that goes wrong.

So I would own the most valuable car in the world.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/ZIFNSz7.jpg

So fits in the rules, if it's paid for only have to have liability insurance I could afford that, I'm a master mechanic with body and paint experience so I can literally repair anything that goes wrong.

View Quote

But would you drive it?

I couldn’t.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:19:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

But would you drive it?

I couldn’t.
View Quote

That's the bottom line with half the cars posted here. The great god Clarkson said anything over 500 hp is almost unusable on the street. American chuckled.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:37:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

That's the bottom line with half the cars posted here. The great god Clarkson said anything over 500 hp is almost unusable on the street. American chuckled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But would you drive it?

I couldn’t.

Yeah I'd drive it, if it can win LeMans it should be able to handle tooling around in it, not like I'd drive it like a race car.

It's only got about 300hp too.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Double slide out diesel pusher motor home that can tow an 8 second door slammer from one event to another.

Is that weird ?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:04:22 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

But would you drive it?

I couldn’t.

With that one, it isn’t the power. It’s the price and the history.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:15:42 PM EDT
[#15]
2018 Ford GT40  White with blue rally stripes
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
2018 Ford GT40  White with blue rally stripes
View Quote

I think I need to change my answer

idk how I forgot about those

fucking badass machines that would have an extremely economical powertrain to maintain

but I don't want to even think about what a carbon fiber replacement body panels would cost lol but at least the subframes are aluminum

man the things I'd do to spend a day at the track with one of those hahaha

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:26:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If you could be given any car, what would it be?

Here are the rules (cause everyone likes rules, right?),

1. You are financially responsible for maintaining the car, gas, insurance, repairs etc. The car was free but nothing else.
2. You cannot sell the car to buy a cheaper car and have money left over.
3. This is a car that you would drive to enjoy and not just look at the damn thing.
4. A car that you would have in your possession for the rest of your life.

My wife and I make a good living but if someone gave me a Porsche 918, I'd have to sell it, could never afford to keep it.

My pick, Porsche 997.2 GT3 RS. The last of the Mezger built engine 911s and before they went to electric steering. I've not driven one of these but they look and sound amazing.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/187410/997_2_GT3RS_forum__2__jpg-1389281.JPG
View Quote

@hulley my buddy had a GT3 RS of that series and HATED driving it. It wasn’t made for daily drive. He sold it for a 997 Carrera S. Much better for day to day apparently.

I love my 996 C4, but I’ll be switching to a 997 C4S at first opportunity.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:29:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

800hp is VERY usable. Clarkson missed the mark on that one,
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:54:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On the street? Legally?

LOL.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

But would you drive it?

I couldn’t.

Yeah $100,000,000+ driving around normal everyday idiots would be the worry, and damaging a part that's not salvageable and loosing the history.... I'd still drive it though
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:32:37 AM EDT
[#21]
Some flavor of a Porsche GT3 or Nissan GTR.

Although a C8 z06 might do it and be cheaper to maintain.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:47:38 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd have a hard time taking it out of the garage, of course, money is relative and I'm not loaded so...
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:54:02 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

@hulley my buddy had a GT3 RS of that series and HATED driving it. It wasn’t made for daily drive. He sold it for a 997 Carrera S. Much better for day to day apparently.

I love my 996 C4, but I’ll be switching to a 997 C4S at first opportunity.
View Quote

@racincajun1919

That's what I've heard, the GT3 RS is even worse that the GT3. In all fairness, the "Dream Car" doesn't have to be a daily driver, just a car that you'd actually drive and care for.

I have a 911 in my sights for this year (after this corona BS) and there's a couple on my list, mainly 997.2 Carrera S or if I can find a deal, maybe a 991 Carrera T. I've been daily driving a 4Runner so any 911 is gonna be super fast.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:33:35 PM EDT
[#24]
I can't decide anymore.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:36:40 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I’m not necessarily embarrassed, I just thought it was particularly funny you mentioned a couple of the very specific options I actually picked.  

I agree it is very clever of Porsche to market cars that way.  

ETA:  I guess you can’t see the seatbelts and much of the stitching, but you get the idea.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1715/3GX57EZ-842472.jpg
View Quote

You feel comfortable posting your build sheet here? That’d be interesting
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:55:34 PM EDT
[#26]
Singer Porsche

http://singervehicledesign.com/

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:10:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
1st: '79 ElCamino w/ 427 tall deck truck engine. I thought I'd own it forever. I sold it to fund lawn equipment for a new house. Also, gas went to over $4.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/1153/camino_01_jpg-1389496.JPG
View Quote

Nice El Camino

I want a Royal Knight package El Camino very badly. My dad bought one from a cousin. He bought it for the dealer trade in offer, when said cousin decided he wanted the new Monte Carlo SS in ‘83. Dad bought cars from friends and family members that way a lot. We kept some we sold some. It’s where I got the collectors bug.

I drove that El Camino around the farm and occasionally to the convenience store or gravel and mulch yard down the road. It had a small block V8. This was back before I had a license. One day the cruise control turned on by itself and pulled down to full throttle. I watched the thing catch fire and burn to the ground.

The other members of my household say I can’t have an El Camino, or a Grand National, or a Monte Carlo SS Aero Coupe, or a Thunder Chicken Trans Am... Do you see a theme?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:30:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

But can't turn for shit....
View Quote

What makes you say that? I have seen RS3s take out porsches on road tracks. It a 3500lb awd sedan. It is not meant for a road course, but it can hold its own.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:39:22 PM EDT
[#30]
1970 GTO restomod. Twin turbo 427 LS with t56 manual.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:53:39 PM EDT
[#31]
I have simple needs. (maintenance precludes a Ferrari at my pay grade, although this wouldn't be cheap either)

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:47:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

On the street? Legally?

LOL.
View Quote

“Legal” wasn’t mentioned at all
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:34:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
https://i.imgur.com/ZIFNSz7.jpg

View Quote

I don't know you're experience around older Ferrari's, but even as a master mechanic it's not that they aren't easy to work on, its getting and paying for parts.  I mean a series II 250 GTO...you need to have deep pockets for repairs for that.  

I grew up around them, started when I was young since my dad had a Daytona and a BB512i.  I would love to choose a Lusso, SWB, or GTO but repair costs would be too high even doing most of the wrenching yourself.  

I would end up with a BB512i again.  I worked on it with a Ferrari mechanic when I was gaining interest in cars through middle school, and learned to drive a stick in it since it was the only manual transmission car we had.  Would love to have one to drive with my son when hes a bit older like dad did with me.  It didn't sound as good as the Daytona since it was fuel injected but I never drove the Daytona.  

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 8:10:32 PM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By racerpk11:

I would end up with a BB512i again.  I worked on it with a Ferrari mechanic when I was gaining interest in cars through middle school, and learned to drive a stick in it since it was the only manual transmission car we had.  Would love to have one to drive with my son when hes a bit older like dad did with me.  It didn't sound as good as the Daytona since it was fuel injected but I never drove the Daytona.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/307753/bb512i-1392920.jpg
View Quote

You learned to drive a clutch in a Berlinetta Boxer!???

Trying...hard...to visualize your father's face. First time you frog-hopped 10 feet and stalled it out I'd of needed oxygen.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:16:24 AM EDT
[#35]
Even getting parts for an older Porsche are getting to be a challenge and the prices keeps increasing.  I can't imagine the difficulty of getting them for a Ferrari.  

Normal maintenance parts like brake disks and pads, etc. are no big deal but some parts that are necessary for a restoration or if you were to get in an accident are no longer available or only available sporadically in very limited in quantity.  

For instance, I needed a new fuel tank because the old one was too rusted to salvage so I camped the Pelican Parts site for a couple of months until they got in a shipment of a few of the correct Dansk fuel tanks.  I got one but when I checked back the following day they were all sold.  

I feel fairly certain that my old 911 is worth about 10x as much parted out as it is whole.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 5:19:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 6:29:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Osprey61:

You learned to drive a clutch in a Berlinetta Boxer!??? 

Trying...hard...to visualize your father's face. First time you frog-hopped 10 feet and stalled it out I'd of needed oxygen.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Osprey61:
Originally Posted By racerpk11:

I would end up with a BB512i again.  I worked on it with a Ferrari mechanic when I was gaining interest in cars through middle school, and learned to drive a stick in it since it was the only manual transmission car we had.  Would love to have one to drive with my son when hes a bit older like dad did with me.  It didn't sound as good as the Daytona since it was fuel injected but I never drove the Daytona.  

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/307753/bb512i-1392920.jpg

You learned to drive a clutch in a Berlinetta Boxer!??? 

Trying...hard...to visualize your father's face. First time you frog-hopped 10 feet and stalled it out I'd of needed oxygen.

Sure did.  I don't think anything like that happened, I will have to ask him when he comes back from cleaning out grandpa's basement.  The thing had such a small clutch and low torque down low it was a pain to drive for most.  My dad's best friend got out of it in the middle of an intersection and told him he was done screwing with it.  I dunno, it was all I knew for a long time so never seemed that bad to me.
Page / 7
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top