Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
We have a rat problem at my house, I tried the Victor ones and they just licked the bait off without springing the trap. My exterminator brought out these black plastic ones with a cup in the middle for peanut butter with the trigger being a piece of plastic the has a hole in the middle around the cup. they basically have to shove their nose into the cup to get the bait and when they do that it triggers the trap. So far they got three large rats with them.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:07:54 PM EDT
[#2]
My favorite trap is the old school victors set with peanut butter. Location is important.  Mice run along the walls.  Always set the trap so the business end is facing the wall.

For the most part I use poison.  The stuff they sell today really does the trick.

Edit to add:  those that are having problems with the old school Victors, some times you need to adjust the trigger mechanism and make sure the bail retainer wire is set right at the edge of the trigger catch.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:09:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I don't have many mice, got rats though.  Favorite was a rat zapper.  Just something about electrocuting the rodents made me feel good inside.  Were days we would get 3 in a trap.  But those are expensive.  Changed to old victor wood ones - peanut butter and dog food.  Have caught more that way, cause I can afford to put out more traps.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:12:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

This. I nearly went broke buying sticky traps last year.
I've caught 53 mice in my bucket trap for the price of two Tbsp of peanut butter, an empty beer can and old wire hanger.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:12:13 PM EDT
[#5]

make this thing... then don't release the mouse... squash it with a hammer.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:18:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I got a KetchAll trap.  It can catch a whole bunch, however, the most I've caught at one time was three.  You do need to dispatch the mice as it catches them alive.  For that purpose, I open the trap in a large plastic storage container in which I've lined the bottom with a piece of plywood, and then use my IZH 46M pellet pistol.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:21:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Victor traps=GTG        Tom Cat=Made in China crap.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:25:42 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Victor traps=GTG        Tom Cat=Made in China crap.
View Quote

It's sure looking that way.

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 9:55:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Black powder works best.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:00:08 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Score another win for a VICTOR!!!!  Yeah, Baby!!!

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74902

Sorry about the Mouse Potato pic, I just grabbed my Lil' Camera and didn't pay enough attention to focus.

Lil' sumbitch got almost the very last lick from the peanut butter flavored Tootsie Pop ( thanks a lot Mr. Owl ) before Ol' Reliable snapped his furry little neck!!!  Lil' Moose had actually thieved ALL of it from the trap last night, so this morning I made sure to get the loop nice and packed with yummy, peanute buttery goodness so's he'd stay in the trap longer!!!  It worked!!!

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74903
The Victors are made by Woodstream from my hometown of Lititz PA.

Now, this is a bit Glockish, but the trigger on this is realllllly smooth.....worked in some thick peanut butter from the upper neck of the jar.  REAL thick and sticky stuff!!!  

http://www.ar15.com/media/viewFile.html?i=74904

Tom Cat gets another chance with their STI type 1911 of MooseTraps.  We shall see.  
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:11:12 PM EDT
[#11]
had an infestation at an old job once. i went to the dollar store and got a 4 pack of victor knock offs for a buck. i spread peanut butter on the trigger and ziptied a piece of catfood to it and spread of more peanut butter. between the 4 traps I got 14 mice. best dollar i ever spent.
Link Posted: 4/1/2015 10:14:01 PM EDT
[#12]
You guys have mice?
Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:24:19 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

You guys have mice?
View Quote

Live in a an urban farming area.....it's like living on the farm but the gun store is right across the street.

Link Posted: 4/2/2015 1:32:55 AM EDT
[#14]
dessicating  poison. i use the tray looking ones

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top