Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:37:53 PM EDT
[#1]
They don't come across the bridge unless they want to beat the HP to it or someone is dead.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:38:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Two state troopers M-F. Weekends is whoever from the State Trooper barracks over 30 min away.

ETA: Neighbor's front door sitting wide open with a car in the driveway. I called into the house with no answer. Called the Staties. 1 1/2 hour response time. Dispatched as a loose dog. I did mention the dog, but it wasn't why I called.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:39:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Shoot.
Shovel.
Shhhh.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:42:07 PM EDT
[#4]
About four municipal cops and two deputies for a county the size of Connecticut. DPS seems to be present for a couple of days at a time but they mainly have their hands full dealing with I-10.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:44:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:53:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Response time around here for an in progress violent call is likely 1-2 minutes inside city limits, and anywhere from 5-30 minutes in unincorporated areas. I'd say countywide across all agencies at any given time there's probably 1 LEO on duty for 500 residents.

The downside of being out in the country is that if help is needed, it ain't getting there fast. I've opted to call neighbors rather than 911 before, in emergent situations, precisely because I know exactly how long it will take for Fire/EMS/LE to arrive.
Link Posted: 10/28/2023 11:55:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Our county is bigger than New Jersey in terms of area.

It's broken up into several commands, but after midnight I don't think there's more than 8 deputies active
(the towns have their own PD, but some use the sheriff for dispatch.) I listen to the scanner often and it's
pretty dead outside of the towns most of the time.

In my immediate area, I'm pretty far in the boonies. Unless they're by chance nearby, response time is going to be
40-45 minutes. At my cabin (same county) the response time is 90 minutes to two hours. Both assume there's no
other priority calls happening. There's several highways with state troopers but I doubt there's more than a couple
active during the day and one at best at night.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:46:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Rural, and pretty much on our own here at night. Not too far from the county line, so I'd probably be more likely to get a deputy from an adjacent county or a game warden if I really needed somebody at night. Like the rest of Texas, a lot of our state troopers are doing duty at the border, so the rest of them are spread pretty thin. It is what it is. As long as you know that nobody is coming to help you, just make do and never call anything in, ya know?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:54:57 AM EDT
[#9]
The sheriff's office has seven employees including the jailers.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 7:55:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Semi rural outside a small town. The PSP will appear out of the woodwork fast. Small town police and PSP back each other up, response time for area us pretty impressive really. Aside from that, if I have clothes on, I have a weapon on.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:09:10 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We have 2 State Troopers for several counties.   The one that focuses on our county goes off duty around midnight.  
View Quote

Your state police do not know how to do multiple shifts? Here in MA a trooper will work 8am to 4pm. Another guy will replace him and work 4pm to midnight. A third guy comes on and works midnight to 8am.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:11:25 AM EDT
[#12]
No idea how many on duty really. 95% of the population for the county is in a small town on the other side of the county. Wiki says 6 people per square mile for the county. It's rare I see a deputy. The city police takes care of the city but I haven't been there in decades, assume they have lots of problems from the make up of the city.

Someone robbed the bank in the closest town of 225 a few decades ago. Cops found them on the side of the road when they ran out of gas before they could get to the next town to buy gas. I will sometimes see a forest service enforcement officer since the national forest is my neighbor, same for a game warden.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:11:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Your state police do not know how to do multiple shifts? Here in MA a trooper will work 8am to 4pm. Another guy will replace him and work 4pm to midnight. A third guy comes on and works midnight to 8am.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
We have 2 State Troopers for several counties.   The one that focuses on our county goes off duty around midnight.  

Maybe your state troopers aren't assigned to the southern border like a lot of ours are? Why don't you send us some to help out?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:19:32 AM EDT
[#14]
We hire the sheriff to be present and do speed traps Friday and Saturday nights. That's it. Other than that the sheriff and troopers are stationed about thirty minutes away.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:19:45 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Maybe your state troopers aren't assigned to the southern border like a lot of ours are? Why don't you send us some to help out?
View Quote

WTF does your location have to do with 24 hour coverage? Does the clock spin differently down there?
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:20:51 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

WTF does your location have to do with 24 hour coverage? Does the clock spin differently down there?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL. Okay Massachusetts.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:21:47 AM EDT
[#17]
2 in the entire county. SHP is also 2 for the entire county.

Theres no point in even trying to to call them out here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:24:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
LOL. Okay Massachusetts.
View Quote

Yeah, that edumacation be a real bitch.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:29:11 AM EDT
[#19]
i'm on a county line and the town line, so they don't come here much.

motherfuckers also plow my neighborhood last too.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:34:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Escambia ('Escammie') County Florida. When I first got here about 15 years ago, I thought there was a 1/1 cop-citizen ratio. I had come from rural counties in Texas and Oklahoma where it was rare to see a cop in my AO. I went to the beach one day and tons of cops were cloistered around the eatery places. Asked someone what was going on and they said nothing was, it's always like this.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:44:27 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Semi rural outside a small town. The PSP will appear out of the woodwork fast. Small town police and PSP back each other up, response time for area us pretty impressive really. Aside from that, if I have clothes on, I have a weapon on.
View Quote

Rural PA, no cops. Call 911 it's a crapshoot, if PSP is close or not. Trooper barracks about 10 miles up the road.

Fine by me, I have no use for them.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:52:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Based on the last interaction I had with the Staties who are our police coverage, they would be more apt to arrest me over a perp.
I failed at the Arf saying, " Don't let the man into your life".
I learned my lesson. I look out for myself now.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:54:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
U fuckers need to STFU with this shit
View Quote
That’s right keep everything a secret .  The public , the taxpayers , the people have no right to know any government information !
So sit down and shut up .
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:55:35 AM EDT
[#24]
Don't know, don't care. I don't rely on strangers to help me.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 8:57:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Haha. I don’t live in the sticks. I’m NW Crook Country. My town of 70K has its own plentiful cops plus we have the Crook County Sheriff’s Department patrolling unincorporated areas. State Police on the freeway.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:01:35 AM EDT
[#26]
I live in PA where sheriffs are "officers of the court" and not "law enforcement". So that leaves me with "Josh Shapiro's Praetorian Guard (a.k.a. State Police)". The local sheriff is a damn good guy, I voted for him, but aside from issuing concealed weapons permits and having jurisdiction on Army Corp of Engineer's land he basically does nothing. He runs a miniscule jail (most inmates are taken to a different county) and that's it.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:04:01 AM EDT
[#27]
Moderately fast I would assume.   Far burbs of Chicago.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:04:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Don't drive drunk, use a handheld cellphone, drive like an asshole, speed in school zones, sell drugs, or stab/shoot anyone and you'll likely never encounter a cop around here.

Kharn
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:17:01 AM EDT
[#29]
Local police department is pretty large for a smaller municipality. I'd expect a fairly quick response, any time of the day or night.
Nearest firehouse is about a quarter of mile away. Had to call them once, and they were here in no time.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:17:27 AM EDT
[#30]
When seconds count, cops are only minutes away.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:23:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Lots. They're mostly concerned with speeding tickets and traffic violations, though.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:27:08 AM EDT
[#32]
Police staffing is largely based on population, not square mileage; though in rural areas, there may be more police than necessary, simply because of the distances traveled.

The radio is the best police weapon- being able to call on other LEOs is their No. 1 advantage.

Police don't interact much with normies and squares- it may be a good thing you don't see them often.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#33]
County has a couple guys to cover a large area. City doesn’t have anyone outside of 8-5ish. 4 LEOs in our neighborhood outside of town.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:34:55 AM EDT
[#34]
Someone usually drives by every couple hours.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:35:53 AM EDT
[#35]
The fewer the better. I'm in the states largest county. When there is a problem, they all respond cause they're bored. Like 7 units for a suspected drunk driver in the middle of nowhere. No I wasn't the suspect.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:38:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Rural SWOK here, county is 1300 sq miles.  There is no LEO presence to speak of and I am fine with that.  Our county sheriff's son is a convicted pedo who was also a cop.
The nearest town of 650 people has no police, the next town has maybe 4-5 officers, they make $12 an hour and do nothing except sit at the four way stop running radar.

People take care of their own problems around here and that's the way it should be.  We have a VFD and a company contracted for EMS, those are the only two first responder agencies I care about.

Link Posted: 10/29/2023 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#37]
The sheriff's office is maybe a five minute drive from here. Volunteer firefighters are also about five minutes away. People on the other side of the county can have some pretty long response times I imagine.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:12:29 AM EDT
[#38]
Similar where I work.

Home gas a municipal dept, I guess 4 per shift?

Quoted:
City of Philadelphia.

Between local, state, and federal, God knows how many are working right this second. 1500? 2000?
View Quote

Yeah they were everywhere when I lived in Philly.  And I still got mugged
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:16:26 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:32:02 AM EDT
[#40]
We have a fairly large pd for a town of 8k.Gotta be close to dozen  cops. But we have a half dozen counties that live in town and a few staties too. Countwide , i dont see alot of LEO.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:36:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Sticks, 12 miles out of a town of 10k. That town is 2 hours from a town of 60k. I have a neighbor deputy about a half mile up the road. He drives up and down our country road a few times a day. That would be the extent of local law enforcement. Town has a handful of city cops. Not many.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:39:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Cant throw a tennis ball here without hitting an LEO/LEA.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:40:21 AM EDT
[#43]
At night, 2 for a county of 84k, with 3 PDs (Broken Arrow being the largest, in which only a portion is in the county). Should have about 6 Deputies, but no one wants to work there, so its perpetually shorthanded.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:41:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Municipal cops, Guardia Nacional, Military, various Federales, These guys all roll HEAVY.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:43:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
In Glendale, AZ, police presence is almost nonexistent in the north side of town. On the off chance a patrol or traffic unit is seen, the current approach to policing seems to be smile and wave.
View Quote

Here in South Chandler, we live in a very low crime area to the point that the local substation about a mile away essentially has closed. Guys go there to do paperwork and stuff but there’s no public presence as I found out recently when I dropped by. But on average, they only get two or three calls for service a shift anyway so it makes sense.

When I was a police officer back in the south, our county only had two deputies on at any given time and usually only one state trooper maybe two on a busy day so we always backed them up whenever we heard them go out on something since help was a good 45 minutes away from their own agency.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 10:58:19 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Lots. They're mostly concerned with speeding tickets and traffic violations, though.
View Quote
Anything that will generate revenue for the town , city , county , and/or state .
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:05:08 AM EDT
[#47]
Local in town: decent ... Know a couple first hand (and one before he got his badge)

They look at everything going on in murderapolis and shake their heads.

I don't see that they are over worked or under staffed

Local at the cabin: pretty good
Sheriff is solid, but kinda goofy
Deputies that I know and have met are pretty good as well.

Partied with a few. Saw one at a long range black powder match a while back and he is the type if guy you want to be there if shit goes sideways.

None of them are fuckwads from the crazy shit that passes for LEOs around st paul and mpls

"I will take lower pay for better quality of life, better neighbors, and friends who won't stab you in the back"
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:05:36 AM EDT
[#48]
Seemingly very, very low and I prefer that. Don't care to have a bunch of them around anyway but that's just me
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:06:40 AM EDT
[#49]
My township has a joint police force of 4 officers with the next township over. Approximately 68 square miles and 3000 people between both townships.
I lived in my current house for over a year before I had seen a police officer in the wild.
Link Posted: 10/29/2023 11:32:57 AM EDT
[#50]
It used to be great police presence and patrol where I live, a lower income, working class neighborhood. Response time was just a few minutes. Majority of the criminals were caught. Overall good safety. Kids were roaming the streets having fun. Safe for young ladies to walk around.
After the criminal take over of the government positions: There's hardly and police presence or patrols. Response time is hours. Lots of druggies roaming the streets. Cars blasting that evil noise called rap and smoking drugs openly. Lots of car and house break-ins. Lots of robberies and assaults. Not many arrests.

I thwarted a possible home invasion two months ago.
After midnight while I was asleep I heard my dogs running out, barking aggressively. I looked out the window and saw a young (gangster looking) female standing on my table on the porch, and my dogs barking non-stop at her by the table. I checked the back yard and all other corners of the front yard through the windows and saw nobody else, but there was a car parked outside with 3 shady characters in it looking at my house. I let the intruder have it with for a good 10 minutes pinned by my drooling, barking large dogs, waiting for the "catch" command. Then I opened the door with a powerful flashlight on her face, and the intruder said she's got the wrong house and that she was looking for her friend "Lucy."  I told her "you're damn right you got the wrong house." Of course I had my gun in my hand hiding it behind my back. I only cracked the door open, I was worried about the rest of the gang jumping in, they figured the odds are against them.  Then I called off my very well trained pack of dogs, and watched her leave, still shaking in fear.
All of it recorded by 3 different cameras, shared with the local PD. Technically there was no crime committed, mainly because I was/am ready to face the criminals.
I'm pretty sure the plot was for the girl to get me to open the door, and then the 3 guys would join in.

Folks, NEVER open the door for somebody you don't know. Get full lighting around the house, all angles covered by multiple cameras, and large dogs. On top of being armed at all times.
Better to deter the criminals than to shoot them, those scumbags are not worth the time spent for the paperwork explaining why you had to shoot them.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top