BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What is the barrel length on the FAL with the 40mm? Cool setup.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Looks 22
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:04:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:09:05 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I saved this pic from some other thread once because I thought the gun looked neat.

http://oi66.tinypic.com/2r269lu.jpg

This one too. I think this might actually be a member's father. Or the guy above. I could be completely wrong, but I seem to recall one of them is.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2uikbib.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pretty much anything rather than a M16.

One vet I know said he mostly used a M2 carbine in para configuration.....The was a M-48 tank driver so it made some sense. They also used M3 sub-guns.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/uploads/monthly_04_2012/post-8022-1334512421.jpg

Overton was given a contract to convert old-stock WW-2 era para stocks to M2 configuration in the early 60s for use by SV Army/US advisers.
I saved this pic from some other thread once because I thought the gun looked neat.

This one too. I think this might actually be a member's father. Or the guy above. I could be completely wrong, but I seem to recall one of them is.

http://oi63.tinypic.com/2uikbib.jpg
My cousin's husband was a US Army enlisted infantry adviser to the ARVN in late 68-69.  He carried a cut-down M2 Carbine after giving the TSMG a go, but he said the TSMG was too heavy (he's not very big, either).

The cut down M2 he used was done professionally from what he said; whoever did the work was skilled at using the kinds of machinery required for such work.  Since I've seen several pictures of US Soldiers in the RVN carrying these modified M2 Carbines, I have to believe there was some sort of depot-level type facility in-country that was capable of third echelon or above weapons repair / modification.  His retained the front sight, even though there was no means to shoulder the weapon since the butt stock had been cut away behind the grip.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
What is the barrel length on the FAL with the 40mm? Cool setup.
View All Quotes
It was called "The Bitch". NZ and Au SAS used them in Vietnam. There was no standard recipe as far as barrel length goes as can be seen in the
photos, both have what appear to be different length gas and barrel. Apparently there was a 14 inch model.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:14:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It was called "The Bitch". NZ and Au SAS used them in Vietnam. There was no standard recipe as far as barrel length goes as can be seen in the
photos, both have what appear to be different length gas and barrel. Apparently there was a 14 inch model.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Nice, are there any more detailed pictures of one of those?
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:28:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Do people actually believe this crap, or does it just sound cool to them?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Something in 30-06 like a M1 Garand or BAR and 1911. They both won two world wars so a little jungle skirmish should be no problem for them.
Do people actually believe this crap, or does it just sound cool to them?
What do you think our Soldiers and Marines used in the PTO during WWII?  Did we lose any battles because we didn't have a SCHV, select fire rifle to issue to 25 division of US Army troops, or 5 divisions of Marines (with a sixth being formed up at the end of the war) that fought in the jungles of the pacific islands the Japs were defending?  Were the inherent faults of the Browning LMG the cause of mass causalities inflicted upon our troops by the enemy?

Not ideal for sure since the M16A1 was practically designed for the war in Vietnam, but anything that went bang with a minimum of operator maintenance (especially with corrosive ammo) would have worked to include the M1 and M1918 series BAR.

We were better than the enemy no matter what our troops carried for small arms.  Our political leadership wasn't, however.

Personally, as a rifleman I would want to have access to carry either an M16A1 or an M14, depending on the terrain and mission.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:43:40 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Nice, are there any more detailed pictures of one of those?
View Quote
not many to be had. fal files has a few threads on them. Apparently this is the last surviving genuine one. I am guessing at Lithgow museum.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 8:49:53 PM EDT
[#9]
M60
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:05:35 PM EDT
[#10]
M79
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#11]
M79, CAR15, Smith & Wesson 39/59.

That's how winning is done, son!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:11:18 PM EDT
[#12]
THIS W/ Stoner 63

1911 (or 2), Kabar, lots of V40 Mini Frags on me
Claymore mines in the pack Woodsman's PAL and M79 strapped to the outside of it
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:17:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
That's Norman Schwarzkopf.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:20:14 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
An unloaded .45 that would have spent the entire war untouched in the desk drawer of my air-conditioned office space in Saigon, Da Nang, or Poon Tang.
View Quote
Can Tho Yo!
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:24:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I carried a captured M1 Carbine for a while all it did was piss everyone else off and at one point got an M60 across the river from me on one
op to open up on me...

Luckily I found a hole under a big old down tree with no snakes in it...

Went back to my M16 next day.

Officers carried the CAR and made them a target of opportunity for command detonated booby traps...best to blend in with non essential personnel...
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:46:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

My cousin's husband was a US Army enlisted infantry adviser to the ARVN in late 68-69.  He carried a cut-down M2 Carbine after giving the TSMG a go, but he said the TSMG was too heavy (he's not very big, either).

The cut down M2 he used was done professionally from what he said; whoever did the work was skilled at using the kinds of machinery required for such work.  Since I've seen several pictures of US Soldiers in the RVN carrying these modified M2 Carbines, I have to believe there was some sort of depot-level type facility in-country that was capable of third echelon or above weapons repair / modification.  His retained the front sight, even though there was no means to shoulder the weapon since the butt stock had been cut away behind the grip.
View Quote
My dad carried the same thing.

He was a truck driver.  It was stick it out the window and spray and pray while hauling ass out of the kill one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 9:51:43 PM EDT
[#17]
XM177E1, slicked-up K-frame snub, a bunch of V-40 grenades, a few yards of det cord, and a couple of of claymores.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:04:11 PM EDT
[#18]
M16A1 or XM177 if I could get one.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 10:21:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then maybe it was the other guy I posted who I "think" is a member's father.

I may have just saved it from a thread that started out with pics of a member's father that evolved into a broader discussion on weapons or whatever.

Meh scratch all that I think Im misremembering.

Maybe I was thinking about @Diger440 in this thread

https://www.ar15.com/forums/General/-ARCHIVED-THREAD-The-m1-carbine-in-Vietnam-/5-1888684/?page=3
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:27:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Those deaftees received the same training that regular army dudes got.  My experience in training as a Combat Engineer is that it was not very good.
View Quote
Agreed that the training was poor for all at the time.  I am trying to differentiate between troops that were forced to serve vs those that volunteered to.  Which do you think were more competent?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:41:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:55:06 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

He was a truck driver.  It was stick it out the window and spray and pray while hauling ass out of the kill one.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No a bad choice for that application.  Very compact, flatter shooting and more capable than a 9mm or .45 caliber SMG.

Funny thing about my cousin’s husband, is that he told me that between basic, infantry school, and being in-country, he never even touched an M16.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:06:12 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
http://www.onlythebestfirearms.com/images/SW76-u796-02.JPG

sw76 or a Swedish k

M60 if I had a trained monkey or donkey for carrying ammo
View Quote
I had the opportunity to shoot the Swedish K at the Aberdeen Proving Grounds during Foreign Weapons Indoctrination in the 80s.  I was very swwet gu   to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:38:41 AM EDT
[#24]
Attachment Attached File

I carried a 1911 and depending on the situation a M79 or a M16A1.
I preferred the M79 with the shotgun round for the up close and personal (in your face) kind of meeting you might have.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:48:24 AM EDT
[#25]
You never appreciate a 20" barrel until you got to lead with it on a jungle trail pushing something out of the way..or got to poke something unfamiliar with it.
Nice sometimes to have that extra distance from the poked object
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Where do you think the Rhodesians (probably) got the idea? MAC-V SOG dudes did it well before them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wrong war. That was for slotting floppies. Get it right!
Where do you think the Rhodesians (probably) got the idea? MAC-V SOG dudes did it well before them.
I know. I also know that sylvan knows.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:59:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Definitely the AK-47.  Reliable, 30 round mags, good enough penetration.
View Quote
Great till you start taking friendly fire...
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:53:02 AM EDT
[#29]
God damn this thread.  Makes me want to chop my RPD and has rekindled my insatiable lust for an unattainable 63.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 11:44:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Definitely the AK-47.  Reliable, 30 round mags, good enough penetration.
Which won't take long when the vegetation prevents anyone from seeing more than 10 feet in any direction.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 1:56:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Just ran across this while I was brain storming camo patterns...

Thought it would be appropriate to pop it in here:

Link Posted: 7/10/2018 2:24:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Clean, well maintained ones.  MI carbines  and BARs in the hands of proficient riflemen would have been adequate.  The weapons were pretty irrelevant when you consider they were fielded by poorly trained draftees in most cases.
View Quote
Last I checked, the majority who served in Vietnam were volunteers and the draftees got the same training as the volunteers.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 2:55:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Last I checked, the majority who served in Vietnam were volunteers and the draftees got the same training as the volunteers.
View Quote
I just checked and you are correct, only 25% of the troops in Vietnam were drafted.  I always assumed it was much, much higher.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 3:14:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Ithaca '37 or Remington 870...

Buckshot work great at Jungle Ranges...

Bunny going all "Audie Murphy" on those NVAs...
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 3:19:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote
Yes in fact both the American Legion and the Veterans of Foreign wars did some pretty good studies on the facts regarding Vietnam who fought and who died
fighting.

The majority of those in combat were white middle class RA with 1.5-2 yrs of college on average...these are the majority of combat veterans,WIA and KIA

All the other crap put out by leftist Marxist is just that agitprop...

The state with the most amount of casualties was California iirc...

Flies in the face of all the propaganda popular with the leftist press.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:31:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Browning Hi Power and an M3 grease gun.

Edit: there is footage of a CIA operations Officer with a Beretta M12 at the siege of “Bunkers Bunker”. I’d take that over the M3 if available.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:40:54 PM EDT
[#37]
XM177 and a cut down M79. A half dozen of those mini frags and a couple of purple smokes.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:41:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Stoner 63 Rifle and a 1911A1. ( given a choice )

Second choice, XM-16E1 or M16A1 rifle.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:43:21 PM EDT
[#39]
phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:43:44 PM EDT
[#40]

Type-56-1 and flamethrower. (Images from RS2)
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:47:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
You never appreciate a 20" barrel until you got to lead with it on a jungle trail pushing something out of the way..or got to poke something unfamiliar with it.
Nice sometimes to have that extra distance from the poked object
View Quote
I have never given that a thought.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
phased plasma rifle in the 40 watt range
View Quote
Here you go.... Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:51:28 PM EDT
[#43]
It moved
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 8:57:24 PM EDT
[#44]
M2 and M79
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#45]
If I could carry anything.

RPD
Swedish K

or possibly a PAP.

If I could hump more I add a M79.
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:02:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Karl Gustav Swedish K. Browning Hi-Power
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 9:02:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Blooper.
View Quote
I'll see your blooper and raise you a China Lake.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:29:49 AM EDT
[#48]
One can carry a shortened M79 as a secondary or tirtiary weapon. Not so with the China Lake pump. I don't think the capacity is worth the extra size and weight even when compared with the M79 as a primary.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:40:11 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
A double barrel shotgun. Let a blast into the sky and scare the bad guys away!
View Quote
Or a pump shotgun.  Just rack it and the sound will cause them to flee back to the DMZ.
Link Posted: 7/11/2018 11:43:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Car15 all day long.
Heat + weight equals worn out boy.

Cut down RPD close second for the sound of a combloc round.
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top