Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 4/12/2021 7:36:06 AM EDT
We live in a residential neighborhood in a medium sized city. When I let the dog out this morning, we both noticed a group of fox pups hanging out in front of our neighbor's backyard shed. When they saw us, they all scampered into the den that momma fox dug under the shed.

My neighbor is an elderly lady that never goes in to her backyard and I doubt she has a clue about the foxes. City animal control does not handle wildlife issues unless someone is bitten and rabies is suspected. They refer citizens to private wildlife relocation organizations if someone wants wild animals relocated.

What would you do about this situation? Let nature do its thing or let the neighbor know and offer to help her relocate the fox family?

Edited to add: They are not bothering me and nature is awesome to watch.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:37:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Why mess with them?  As long as you dog can’t get them, let the foxes keep the rodent and pest population down.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:38:40 AM EDT
[#2]
If you don't want to kill them trap and relocate [best option]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:39:26 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
We live in a residential neighborhood in a medium sized city. When I let the dog out this morning, we both noticed a group of fox pups hanging out in front of our neighbor's backyard shed. When they saw us, they all scampered into the den that momma fox dug under the shed.

My neighbor is an elderly lady that never goes in to her backyard and I doubt she has a clue about the foxes. City animal control does not handle wildlife issues unless someone is bitten and rabies is suspected. They refer citizens to private wildlife relocation organizations if someone wants wild animals relocated.

What would you do about this situation? Let nature do its thing or let the neighbor know and offer to help her relocate the fox family?
View Quote
foxes? They generally aren’t gonna go after even toy breed dogs or small cats. More rodents/ground nesting birds. Leave them be. Unless your neighbors like to let their hamster out in the back yard everyone’s probably safe.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:40:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Why mess with them?  As long as you dog can’t get them, let the foxes keep the rodent and pest population down.
View Quote

Unless someone nearby is keeping chickens or the like I'd do the above.  I've had a few friends keep a video diary kinda thing when they've had them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:41:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I agree with the others. Unless they're causing trouble, leave them be.

If they become an issue, have someone come trap them for relocation.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:41:51 AM EDT
[#6]
In the let it be crowd..

Why do you not enjoy what the creator has given you?

Red
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:41:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Let them be, they will eventually move on. They are a non threat and pretty fun to watch
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:42:33 AM EDT
[#8]
If they become an issue, relocate.

Otherwise they’re a net benefit. Keep them around to keep your rodent populations down.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:42:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:43:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Leave them alone especially considering they dont live on your property
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:45:41 AM EDT
[#11]
I had grays under my shed.  I let them be and they came back the next spring.  After starting my mower in the shed a few times they took off, never to return.  They didn’t bother anything, even the neighbors chickens.Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:52:52 AM EDT
[#12]
They are better than a cat at keeping your mice / rats / moles in check.

Very neat animals.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:54:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Ylvis - The Fox (What Does The Fox Say?) [Official music video HD]
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 7:58:41 AM EDT
[#14]
"Who's got the rocket launcher?"

Rambo: First Blood - National Guard Scene (1080p)
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:02:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Leave them be.  Once the pups are old enough and leave the den you’ll likely never see them again.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:04:19 AM EDT
[#16]
I would leave them be. They are pretty neat animals and help keep the rodent population down. I’ve got one that comes into my back yard sometimes and he doesn’t bother anything, just looking for some rodents.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:05:21 AM EDT
[#17]
I have foxes in my backyard and feed them rabbits during the winter. Id rather have foxes than mice
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:05:58 AM EDT
[#18]
THe mother will move her den of pups on down the road after they are born. If they are already big enough to play outside den then they are close to leaving already. Had a den behind our house as well. She only used it once and never came back.

Chinook3
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I had grays under my shed.  I let them be and they came back the next spring.  After starting my mower in the shed a few times they took off, never to return.  They didn’t bother anything, even the neighbors chickens.https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139249/EC540AFA-8532-440A-97C5-82FDB3E40235_jpe-1901835.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/139249/417B97BE-4513-456C-9E8C-7DC8C4D9CF47_jpe-1901836.JPG
View Quote

We have red foxes here and they are the top predator of chickens.  I would kill them with prejudice.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:07:52 AM EDT
[#20]
GD answer: Feed them till they are big and make some sweet Tibetan style fur hats?

I'd leave them alone if they aren't causing you any issues.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:09:16 AM EDT
[#21]
Usually get a pair of foxes every year.  I like em.  
They eat alot of rodents.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:09:45 AM EDT
[#22]
I was spearing pike on Lake St Clair, and throwing them on the ice. They kept disappearing. It turns out that momma fox was taking them back to the den to feed her young.

Momma fox would also ride on a toboggan downhill with the kids from the trailer park.

So I say let them be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#23]
Had an entire family in my yard last year.  Mom, about six pups.  They moved on.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:11:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

this. install a camera and enjoy the pictures. a fox wont be mauling anyone, at worst they might snag a kitten  or really small rat sized dog occasionally. they probably like being close to humans to protect their den from coyotes, who generally dont like getting that close to houses.

personally i love foxes and hate coyotes. of course if i had chickens, etc fox would be higher on my threat level and handled accordingly.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:11:08 AM EDT
[#25]
Hmmm .... does the wifey want a new fur coat?

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:11:46 AM EDT
[#26]
Put a 24 hr video camera on the den, and film them when they go out to play with another camera
Load best shots up to youtube and make money
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:11:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Catch them and raise them as your own.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:12:09 AM EDT
[#28]
We had a fox den last year by the neighbors.  Gray fox.  Fun to watch.  I'd leave them be.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:12:15 AM EDT
[#29]
Put out cat food and fresh water.

Those things kill the fuck out of mice and other shit you don't want wandering around.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:13:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Foxes are cool I would leave them be
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:14:45 AM EDT
[#31]
We had a similar situation years ago, but momma was getting aggressive and coming up in the yard while we were out there, and she looked mangy.  After pups were old enough, she had to be dispatched.  I called DNR, guy said "Don't you own a gun?"  ...maybe....

This year we have another momma and she has kept to herself and her pups.  Kind of cool watching her sneak out of the woods line in the evening out hunting.  But now we have no rabbits to watch.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:16:20 AM EDT
[#32]
set up cameras and enjoy the frolicking, and fun. Foxes are some of the coolest animals. they won't eat your dog or cat. Probably want to play with them instead.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:16:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I love my foxes, they are smart and very athletic.  Watching them is pure pleasure.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:16:39 AM EDT
[#34]
Shout ‘I FUCKING TOLD YOU SWIPER, NO SWIPING!’ and burn the shed down.

But seriously, I’d leave it alone. Foxes are cool and eat rodents.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:22:08 AM EDT
[#35]
Unless they're causing poultry problems in the neighborhood, leave them be. They're nondestructive and entertaining.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:35:56 AM EDT
[#36]
Another 'let then be' person here.  They are entertaining to watch as the pups get older.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:38:52 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Edited to add: They are not bothering me and nature is awesome to watch.
View Quote

If they aren’t bothering you and you aren’t aware of them bothering anyone else, why do anything?

If you are worried they might be a problem for the woman, offer to relocate them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:39:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Once you discovered them mom will move them.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:39:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Hold them and squeeze them and call them George and rub their little fuzzy bellys...
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#40]
Put a camera overlooking their den and get some cool video.

People love videos of foxes and fox cubs.

Put video on youtube and get millions of hits.

Profit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:48:17 AM EDT
[#41]
Let them be I have a similar situation ,as far as I know it’s just one fox in a wooded lot behind me .it’s been here for a couple of years and the usual cats are still around .I have a game camera out back where scrap food and water is at. I use the camera to keep up with what comes by.sometimes the fox shows up within a minute or so of a cat so they know each other by now and no issues
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:48:28 AM EDT
[#42]
I put leftover chicken wings, rotisserie chicken bones, etc outside every night on our rear patio.

Fred and Wilma( we named them) chomp them up that night.

I enjoy seeing them out and about. Started coming around during daytime too...

We live right next to Atlanta...end of the silver comet trail backs up to our place. I figure that's where they're coming from.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:49:41 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
They are not bothering me and nature is awesome to watch.
View Quote

Then leave them alone.

Here? We have chickens. I'd shoot/trap them if they denned close to the house or chicken pasture.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:52:59 AM EDT
[#44]
Take pictures and enjoy something cool you don't see every day
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#45]
I would just leave em alone
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:54:44 AM EDT
[#46]
Set up a cam and live stream them
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:55:22 AM EDT
[#47]
I had a bunny nest next to my house. I made it little safer for them and put up an arlo camera so we could watch them. Holy crap were those babies cute.

Mom made the nest in between the house and my kayak. I wanted to make sure it wouldn't fall on them and that our dog couldn't get at them.

So put up a camera and profit with ohhhhhs and ahhhhhhs

ETA can't spell
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 8:59:16 AM EDT
[#48]
Attachment Attached File
If I didn't have anything like chickens I'd let them be and enjoy watching them grow up. We had a group a couple years back just down the road and got to watch them the biggest part of the summer

picture my wife took
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#49]
Foxes won't cause you any trouble. Leave them be. This is coming from a guy who shoots every coyote he see's.

Link Posted: 4/12/2021 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Foxes are cool, this is Lenny at a local wild animal rescue, he cannot be released, due to his being too friendly to humans.
Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top