Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2024 9:40:53 PM EDT
Welp, 3 somehow won Master's tickets again. Last year, my wife was due 4/13 and I was biting my nails until all spring. The baby came a month early, so heading to Augusta wasn't a problem besides leaving my wife with a new 3wk old hellion.

Fast forward a year, we won Master's tickets again. It's my wife's birthday, and two years in a row....so I got an earful until we arranged a family vacation rather than just the boys. My parents, brother (plus family), us (plus baby), and sister/BF are now going.

We are staying in a pretty nice place on the west end of the island. One day will be Augusta for the guys...but what else all week? Great food recommendations, things to do during the day (not golf related), parks, etc.

We're ok with driving or ferrying to Savannah if needed.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:45:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I went to a Masters practice round last year, was offered Berckmans Place tickets and it was quite an experience, including the expensive pro shop stops. Was invited again this year for the practice round on Monday 4/8 but had to decline them because I have a business meeting scheduled. Such a bummer.

No idea about HH island but enjoy the Masters and soak it all in.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:47:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Savannah is fun. Charleston is fun. Go check out Parris Island and yell at some marines in boot camp.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:48:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:49:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a buddy volunteer to work the grounds crew at Augusta during the masters several years back. They made him sign an NDA about all the specifics with the grass and shit. Can you believe that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:49:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I went to a Masters practice round last year, was offered Berckmans Place tickets and it was quite an experience, including the expensive pro shop stops. Was invited again this year for the practice round on Monday 4/8 but had to decline them because I have a business meeting scheduled. Such a bummer.

No idea about HH island but enjoy the Masters and soak it all in.
View Quote

We had a blast last year. I can't imagine getting to Berkman's Place.

I think we all spent 3k+ in the shops, plus 10+ beers each.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:50:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Eat seafood.  Sit on the beach.  Play golf.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:52:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Savannah is fun. Charleston is fun. Go check out Parris Island and yell at some marines in boot camp.
View Quote

We've all been to Charleston and my parents went to Savannah last year. They are kind of boring and cheap so they went to old historic sites (which I like)...but the kids won't enjoy that or a lot of driving

Quoted:
Why HHI?  That's a long drive to Augusta.
View Quote

We needed something decently close that was family friendly and everyone had already been to Charleston. Savannah was on the list but HHI was one of the places the girls were set on.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:53:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Don't forget your PSA visit.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:54:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Eat seafood.  Sit on the beach.  Play golf.
View Quote

We live in LA so will probably look for something other than seafood haha. I boiled crawfish for 30 people Sunday, and shrimp yesterday. Did tuna steaks one day last week too haha.

We golf a lot already, so trying to only do one round while there because the family is wanting to spend time together.

Any specific beach to go to?
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

Was definitely planning on it while in Savannah
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:56:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:56:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 9:58:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The National Museum of the Mighty Eight Air Force is right off the interstate near the airport in Pooler, GA.

The Sandbar restaurant on Pope Ave, in front of Coligny Beach Park is a great place for eating and drinking close to the water. My girlfriend and I ate there last Spring and really liked it. It's really close to the beach, so it's perfect for dinner, a sunset walk on the beach, and a few drinks afterwards.

There's a great brunch place in downtown Savannah, called The Funky Brunch Cafe. You get to cook your own pancakes at the table and have a bunch of different fillers and toppings from which to choose. It's within walking distance of the park where the bus stop scene was fimed for Forrest Gump, though the park bench is no longer there. The area is nice for a walk after breakfast. There's a lot of really cool architecture to see. Head down to the river and there are a lot of decent bars and restaurants, too.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:04:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Oof.  It ain't close to Augusta.  I'm 2+ hrs from HHI and an hr from Augusta.
View Quote

I googled and it said 2.5hr. That isnt' bad. We have a refundable hotel room rented the night before just in case.

Quoted:

Go to the one between HHI and Beaufort also.  It's small but good.
View Quote

Awesome thanks
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:09:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Gimme gimme gimme some bubble bubble bubble bubble gum
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:10:35 PM EDT
[#16]
Go to One Hot Mamas.....
Excellent food
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tiny little PSA just outside of Hilton head too, Ridgeland

You like fishing?  Good time to go, weather is nice

Daufuskie island is worth burning a day. Rent a golf cart and bomb around all day

You can do a slow day in Beaufort too, combine it with a tour at Paris island
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:12:41 PM EDT
[#18]
We always hit up the Sea pines resort to do some shopping and walking around the natural areas.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Go to One Hot Mamas.....
Excellent food
View Quote

It’s not bad, but it’s not great either

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:19:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Go to Kiawah and rent kayaks on the river. Its an incredibly beautiful paddle out and back. If you are lucky, you can watch the river dophins "strand fishing ".
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:21:21 PM EDT
[#21]
Lived there FT for 6 years

Good food-

Santa Fe
Quarterdeck
Giuseppes pizza
Skull Creek or Hudson's
Old oyster factory
Palmetto Bay

Feel free to message me if you want more first hand knowledge

Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:26:56 PM EDT
[#22]
don’t waste your time at the PSA outside of HHI. i went last thursday, and its tiny.

PSA savannah is my first ever  few years ago, it’s big and has a lot. they’ve even got a fishing section.  

stayed in sea lines 3 nights last week. if that’s not too far, we had supper one night at fraser’s (on one of the golf courses) with my colleague’s kids and wife. no issues. not super bougie, it’s a smoke house. lots of bbq choices.

sea pines beach club is nice as well. great bar food.

if on/in sea pines, the kiddos will love the stables (animal farm). they can feed the horses, goats, etc. if you go, bring carrots for the horses. they love them.

cheetah (strip club) is outside sea pines, on HHI. great food and wings ?? and female friendly, of course.

eta ^^ poster above said quarterdeck. i ate there last thursday. great food. be sure to make a reservation, however
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:27:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Hh is great. Just sit on the beach
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#24]
The beach is nice there, of course, watch out for the alligators when there.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#25]
On HHI:
Nectar - good brunch food and bar
Java Burrito - good coffee and fast casual Mexican

Go to the Fish Haul Beach park and watch the planes landing.

Bluffton:
Burnt Church Distillery - awesome drinks and great appetizers
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:48:08 PM EDT
[#26]
The thing I love about HHI is going to the Westin and spend my time relaxing on the beach or at the pool. Shopping is a past time. Meals at Skull Creek Boathouse or Hudson's or any number of fantastic places to have an awesome meal.

We've been going for 30+ years
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:50:04 PM EDT
[#27]
I like eating at Captain Woody's, Hudson's, Skull Creek, and One Hot Mama's.

Check out Gregg Russell in Sea Pines in the evening for some entertainment with the kids.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 10:57:58 PM EDT
[#28]
West end of the island, eh?  I know the West Beach Lagoon area somewhat well.

My sisters really like the Calibogue shrimp salad at the Salty Dog.  For takeout seafood, the best bang for the buck IMO is the Sea Shack, outside the gates to Sea Pines.

If you're a golf fan, check out Legendary Gold on Hilton Parkway.  It's the most fun mini-golf course I've ever played, and the owner/designer is there most days (balding Terry Bradshaw kinda lookalike).

Other that that, enjoy the beach walking.  Good luck finding a sand dollar!

ETA:  Just saw your seafood comment.  Try the Lowcountry Backyard Restaurant for a very nice meal.  I like their shrimp and grits a lot, but they do everything well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Welp, 3 somehow won Master's tickets again. Last year, my wife was due 4/13 and I was biting my nails until all spring. The baby came a month early, so heading to Augusta wasn't a problem besides leaving my wife with a new 3wk old hellion.

Fast forward a year, we won Master's tickets again. It's my wife's birthday, and two years in a row....so I got an earful until we arranged a family vacation rather than just the boys. My parents, brother (plus family), us (plus baby), and sister/BF are now going.

We are staying in a pretty nice place on the west end of the island. One day will be Augusta for the guys...but what else all week? Great food recommendations, things to do during the day (not golf related), parks, etc.

We're ok with driving or ferrying to Savannah if needed.
View Quote

Savannah Sucks!!

See Beaufort.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:01:29 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

They let Civilians on Parris Island??
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:02:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

We live in LA so will probably look for something other than seafood haha. I boiled crawfish for 30 people Sunday, and shrimp yesterday. Did tuna steaks one day last week too haha.

We golf a lot already, so trying to only do one round while there because the family is wanting to spend time together.

View Quote

Beach at Hyatt Regency is nice.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:03:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote
Technically, yes

https://www.mcrdpi.marines.mil/Visitors/Visits-and-Group-Tours/
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:09:39 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Super open.  Hundreds of people to see graduation every week, self guided tours, etc
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:12:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Savannah is a lot of fun and only about a 45 min drive.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:12:30 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

If you're staying on the west end, your beach access/parking is likely going to be South Beach/Tower Beach Club.  When you head out the boardwalk to the beach, if you turn right it peters out.  If you turn left, the beach gets empty and you have a lot of room.  That stretch stays mostly empty until you get up around the villas and vacation condos near Coligny Circle.  That's a couple miles of relative quiet.
Link Posted: 3/28/2024 11:12:57 PM EDT
[#36]
Our greens superintendent worked at Augusta.  He’s amazing and our grass has never been so good.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:14:26 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Go to One Hot Mamas.....
Excellent food
View Quote

Will write that down thanks

Quoted:

Tiny little PSA just outside of Hilton head too, Ridgeland

You like fishing?  Good time to go, weather is nice

Daufuskie island is worth burning a day. Rent a golf cart and bomb around all day

You can do a slow day in Beaufort too, combine it with a tour at Paris island
View Quote

I saw that one on the map.

I do like fishing but do a ton of it here. I’ll check the other two out’
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 12:15:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
We always hit up the Sea pines resort to do some shopping and walking around the natural areas.
View Quote

Someone mentioned this for the kids

Quoted:
Go to Kiawah and rent kayaks on the river. Its an incredibly beautiful paddle out and back. If you are lucky, you can watch the river dophins "strand fishing ".
View Quote

I played golf there once. Cool place
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:02:14 AM EDT
[#39]
Go to the Frosty Frog Cafe and order Carol's Burger..
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#40]
Last time I was in HH was maybe 30 years ago. I loved it. Relaxing and had great time with the family.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:11:59 AM EDT
[#41]
Unless you golf, like to ride rental bikes around with hundreds of others on bike paths, not much to do.  We went last year on the same weekend as the big golf event for a continuing Ed conference for my wife.  Other than sitting around the resort and getting drunk, place was boring.  
We hit a few “antique” and second hand stores.  I guess a lot of others were bored as well because those places were packed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:26:13 AM EDT
[#42]
I first moved there when there were 2 traffic circles and 2 red lights.

Now there are a shitload of each.

Back in the early 80s, Jim's Paradise was the place, you could just walk into the men's room and get a line of coke from just about anyone in there.

Ahhh,..the good old days.

Mike Clark, drummer from The Byrds, owned a locals bar that we hung out in.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:28:17 AM EDT
[#43]
Yea I'd be fishing.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
View Quote

That's basically it.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:13:46 AM EDT
[#45]
It's pretty laid back. We go pretty often, the kids and wife do the beach thing. I hang out and watch them, smoke some cigars, play shark-watch for a while.

Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:19:00 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
It's pretty laid back. We go pretty often, the kids and wife do the beach thing. I hang out and watch them, smoke some cigars, play shark-watch for a while.

View Quote

Sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 9:23:44 AM EDT
[#47]
What to do in Hilton head SC?
The first two things that come to mind.  Sweat and scratch mosquito bites  
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:10:02 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

We are planning on going there at least one day

Quoted:
Lived there FT for 6 years

Good food-

Santa Fe
Quarterdeck
Giuseppes pizza
Skull Creek or Hudson's
Old oyster factory
Palmetto Bay

Feel free to message me if you want more first hand knowledge

View Quote

Awesome. Might PM you when we get plans a little more finalized

Quoted:
don’t waste your time at the PSA outside of HHI. i went last thursday, and its tiny.

PSA savannah is my first ever  few years ago, it’s big and has a lot. they’ve even got a fishing section.  

stayed in sea lines 3 nights last week. if that’s not too far, we had supper one night at fraser’s (on one of the golf courses) with my colleague’s kids and wife. no issues. not super bougie, it’s a smoke house. lots of bbq choices.

sea pines beach club is nice as well. great bar food.

if on/in sea pines, the kiddos will love the stables (animal farm). they can feed the horses, goats, etc. if you go, bring carrots for the horses. they love them.

cheetah (strip club) is outside sea pines, on HHI. great food and wings ?? and female friendly, of course.

eta ^^ poster above said quarterdeck. i ate there last thursday. great food. be sure to make a reservation, however
View Quote

Thanks for the update on that small PSA

We are planning on the Sea Pines trip. Almost stayed there. One of the kiddos is infatuated with horses so that will work well
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:13:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
The beach is nice there, of course, watch out for the alligators when there.
View Quote

We are on the marsh side. Used to gators, our lake house here has tons

Quoted:
On HHI:
Nectar - good brunch food and bar
Java Burrito - good coffee and fast casual Mexican

Go to the Fish Haul Beach park and watch the planes landing.

Bluffton:
Burnt Church Distillery - awesome drinks and great appetizers
View Quote

I read Nectar was good. Might go to that distillery!

Quoted:
The thing I love about HHI is going to the Westin and spend my time relaxing on the beach or at the pool. Shopping is a past time. Meals at Skull Creek Boathouse or Hudson's or any number of fantastic places to have an awesome meal.

We've been going for 30+ years
View Quote

I'm sure the girls will end up shopping. Will probably try a few beach afternoons instead of one full beach day
Link Posted: 3/29/2024 3:18:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
I like eating at Captain Woody's, Hudson's, Skull Creek, and One Hot Mama's.

Check out Gregg Russell in Sea Pines in the evening for some entertainment with the kids.
View Quote

Thanks for the Gregg Russell comment, checking out now

Quoted:
West end of the island, eh?  I know the West Beach Lagoon area somewhat well.

My sisters really like the Calibogue shrimp salad at the Salty Dog.  For takeout seafood, the best bang for the buck IMO is the Sea Shack, outside the gates to Sea Pines.

If you're a golf fan, check out Legendary Gold on Hilton Parkway.  It's the most fun mini-golf course I've ever played, and the owner/designer is there most days (balding Terry Bradshaw kinda lookalike).

Other that that, enjoy the beach walking.  Good luck finding a sand dollar!

ETA:  Just saw your seafood comment.  Try the Lowcountry Backyard Restaurant for a very nice meal.  I like their shrimp and grits a lot, but they do everything well.
View Quote

Yea, looked like a cool house. We like doing our own thing and not staying at condos. We will definitely do a little beach walking

Quoted:

Savannah Sucks!!

See Beaufort.
View Quote

Will check it out. I think the girls wanted to see Savannah because of some show they watch
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top