Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:32:40 AM EDT
[#1]
Had an SKS back in the day. Sold it. Just bought another one when PSA had them for $349. Shot it once. Probably won’t shoot it again until my sons want to shoot it or something.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:32:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  Tapco collapsible stock and pistol grip, and weld on an airsoft rail to mount a red dot. Make sure you grind off any commie markings.
View Quote

Lol.  Some men just want to watch the world burn.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:14:58 AM EDT
[#3]
I’m selling off guns I don’t use. Keeping a few “tactical” ones but don’t see the point of having many extra guns that at some point I won’t be able to shoot anyway.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:22:04 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Unless you were just using hyperbole about it age...

If you had a 59/66 in the 80s, you had a rare and expensive ($1k+ then) item imported in low numbers by Mitchells (I think).
View Quote

Really ?
59/66A1 master race checking in, all matching #'s.
Tritium has lost it's luster though.

Not for sale.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 9:30:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Keep it
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:22:34 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Really ?

Not for sale.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you were just using hyperbole about it age...

If you had a 59/66 in the 80s, you had a rare and expensive ($1k+ then) item imported in low numbers by Mitchells (I think).

Really ?

Not for sale.

Yes! The 80s Mitchell 59/66 guns were a small quantity import of perfect specimens.  Based on price, they were targeted towards collectors.

Then the flood gates opened around 2000.  If memory serves me correctly,  the flood started with worn or corroded guns that were problematic in many cases.  However,  the next wave hit with a huge quantity of much better condition guns, many of which were unissued.   There is nothing special about an 80s Mitchell vs a perfect 2000s $100 59/66 import, so the value collapsed over 90%.  C'est la vie.

I got this near perfect (wood handling marks only) 59 in that era.  They are uncommon and actually rare in this condition.  Reason being that all that were warehoused or went back for refurb were converted to /66.  Thus all 59s had to escape the /66 program for the duration of it. The conflict obviously made this more intense.  Mine was probably in an office somewhere.

These are my personal favorate SKS type simply due to the dark and dense wood used that is the same used on Yugo Mausers.  If you want a good accurate long/wearing shooter, a Chinese one is probably the best (Well chomed bore+best reputation for accuracy).

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:28:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Five mags? If they are the TAPCO plastic mags I'd tell you to find the original ten-rounder and put it back in, then throw the plastic mags in the trash.

View Quote

Yup, did the same.
Even put it back in original stock, after it having a man sized plastic one for 30 years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:30:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Five mags? If they are the TAPCO plastic mags I'd tell you to find the original ten-rounder and put it back in, then throw the plastic mags in the trash.

View Quote

yes, de-Tapco it completely.  Seems to me that holding on to it, it will gain in value as it has been doing for 20 years.  Although I'm not sure it outperforming the stock market.  SO depends on if gaining value interests you enough to hold on it.   If that isn't your desire put it back to original and sell now.  I have one that I keep as a novelty, I had 2 Chinese from the 90's at $89 each.  Sold one for $600 after Sandy hook.  It was still in box and cosmoline
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:31:48 AM EDT
[#10]

Not all the ammo will fit in there...
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 10:33:09 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

+1

Yeah, the plastic mags are garbage.  You should be able to find some Yugo 10 round fixed-box mag.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I've had several sks' but the heavy yugo was my least favorite. I only regret selling my 1994 sks-m, so sell/trade it and get something else that will take those 2k rounds of x39, or sell it all, put away half the cash and buy something you'd prefer more. I prefer mine de-bubba'd and completely as they came.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 11:57:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Practice stabbing stuff with it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:02:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:07:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Sold some SKS's and bought this:

Attachment Attached File

No regrets.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:09:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
bought an SKS

first range trip the hammer broken in half

took it to where I bought and and he left and came back with cash refund...I was like really these are that bad huh?

I had their local smith fix it and kept it for the zombies coming from Covid
View Quote

LOL, WUT ?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:12:27 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Sell it and get a Chi-Com SKS.....I never did care for the Yugo version myself.
View Quote

Is a Chinese worth more?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:13:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
If you had a numbers matching Yugo SKS with bayo. 5 mags and 2k rounds what would you do with it at this point?

It’s the only gun you have that shoots 7.62

You haven’t shot it since 198X and you don’t really like shooting it or how it feels.  

You will be told to never sell a gun but would you feel ok selling/trading it for a different gun?
View Quote

Maximum Tapco!

Except using good parts, because the best retardation is well designed retardation.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:14:42 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
bought an SKS

took it to where I bought and and he left and came back with cash refund...I was like really these are that bad huh?

View Quote

SKS country of origin?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

There is iron in your words.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:18:25 PM EDT
[#21]
I had an Albanian SKS that had seen better days. I never fired it anymore. Being the odd duck that it was, I got a hell of a lot more than I had in it.
Kept all the 7.62xCommie I had. Never know when I would end up with an AK again.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:20:55 PM EDT
[#22]
thread it for a 20 gallon galvanized metal suppressor

nah, but I'd try it.

Sounds like a decent 1200$ loop WHole trade value.

Your only 762x39?  I'd keep it; if it doens't have gas issue and is in great shape it is a great example of Siminov? and in pretty good looking wood.

I'm keeping mine...in fact out of 2 Albanians, 54 Tula, SKS-m or d,  its the only one I have left.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:22:05 PM EDT
[#23]
Just sell it. I sold mine about seven years ago and put the money on an AR-15.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:22:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Seeing as x39 is still running significantly cheaper than 5.56 I'd stack an extra a case or two and keep it for at least another month. Too much up in the air to sell anything right now.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:22:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Donate it to a grandkid/nephew/niece who is pro 2A and needs a commie killin’ tool.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:22:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

View Quote

I ended up using the two I was stupid enough to buy as targets.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:25:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Google SkS Yugo removable magazine.

IDK want else to tell you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yugo SKSs didn’t come with removable magazines. Ever. Only Chinese SKSs did.

Google SkS Yugo removable magazine.

IDK want else to tell you.

No military sks used detachable mags, they're an aftermarket item; and frankly the tapco mags were the best of the "duckbills".
The only SKSs to come from a factory with detachable mags were the commercial Norinco SKS-D and SKS-M, and they used standard AK mags.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:26:07 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Shoot the hell out of it. They are fun
View Quote

This. Good, reliable little rifles. Bought two back in the early import days. One was stolen and, like a moron, i sold the other a few years after for a 100% profit. Made $100....wooo!  That "cheap" corrosive commie surplus ammo was inexpensive, but it was very accurate, reliable stuff. Wish i still had both rifles and the cases i wasted then.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:30:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a first year run Sino-Soviet SKS with all original parts.  My son really likes it so he will get it along with the 1,400 rounds of ammo and 20 stripper clips I have for it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#31]
Clearly you need to buy a Ruger American in 7 62x39 to burn through that ammo.  

The SKS is a pretty decent ban state rifle if you regularly travel behind enemy lines.  Not sure if CA has gotten around to banning them by name, but a fixed mag semi auto is generally pretty legal in most places.  You can mount a red dot on them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Yugo SKSs didn’t come with removable magazines. Ever. Only Chinese SKSs did.

View Quote

You can remove the fixed magazine and use an after market mag that will clip into the front pivot pin and rear fixed mag release.  They are slow and wonky, but they are indeed removable and usually hold 30-40 rounds depending on who made them.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:41:05 PM EDT
[#33]
Sell it. Sks triggers are heinous and they just suck overall.

Use the proceeds to buy ammo or something that would enhance what you do shoot.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:43:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Shoot it

Love shooting my yugo. And I don’t feel bad about shooting all my x39
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:47:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

There are several variations of the Chines SKS's, some have milled trigger guards and threaded barrels, others have stamped trigger guards and pressed in & pinned barrels, which I guess are less desirable but still work good.

The shorter models seem more sought after and some came with matching number 30 round magazines, so pricing depends on which version.

I think the barrels were all chromed lined.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Is a Chinese worth more?

There are several variations of the Chines SKS's, some have milled trigger guards and threaded barrels, others have stamped trigger guards and pressed in & pinned barrels, which I guess are less desirable but still work good.

The shorter models seem more sought after and some came with matching number 30 round magazines, so pricing depends on which version.

I think the barrels were all chromed lined.

So here is a Norinco with matching numbers, except I don’t know about the steel mag other than to say it came with it. What’s the value?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:54:55 PM EDT
[#36]
I like my fixed mag guns.

SKS is a good gun.

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 12:57:28 PM EDT
[#37]
Sell it to someone who will appreciate and not bubbafy it.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:04:38 PM EDT
[#38]
Right now, I'd hanging on to stuff that I have a decent ammo stash for.  YMMV.

Edit:  I'd put the fixed mag back in and get a bunch of stripper clips.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:09:09 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:10:48 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I guess I never considered the mag in the numbers matching part.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless you were smart enough to keep the original, a "Yugo SKS with 5 mags" is not numbers matching. The original mag is gone.

That said, they're fun rifles but if it's been unused for that long sell it. You'll damn sure get more than you paid.

I guess I never considered the mag in the numbers matching part.

It will make a difference.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:14:32 PM EDT
[#41]
I have been looking for a nice SKS; they are reliable rifles and OMHO best enjoyed in their original configuration. The original mag will absolutely make a difference, at least for people like me.

Unfortunately the vast quantity of $120 rifles induced a lot of people to bubbify them with $150 worth of Tapco stocks and NCStar scope mounts
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:23:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have been looking for a nice SKS; they are reliable rifles and OMHO best enjoyed in their original configuration. The original mag will absolutely make a difference, at least for people like me.

Unfortunately the vast quantity of $120 rifles induced a lot of people to bubbify them with $150 worth of Tapco stocks and NCStar scope mounts
View Quote

Mine was missing the original mag and had a shitty railed top cover. I replaced them with original but they don't match.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#43]
Tapco makes so sweet accessories for it bro...

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:30:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

LOL, WUT ?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bought an SKS

LOL, WUT ?

I’ve only broken one part on an SKS out of the dozen or more I’ve owned, and that was the stock on an old, VERY ratty Chinese one. My local cynical genius gunsmith/best friend from grade school fixed it to the point that I couldn’t even tell where it had originally broken.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 1:35:00 PM EDT
[#46]
I have a Norinco "Paratrooper" model SKS that I bought in the early 90's for $79.......  It's in the way back of the safe and I haven't shot it in 20 years or so. Maybe I should sell it??

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:03:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sell it. Sks triggers are heinous and they just suck overall.

Use the proceeds to buy ammo or something that would enhance what you do shoot.
View Quote

It's perfectly fine for it's intended purpose.  It's not a Camp Perry rifle match contender.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:15:27 PM EDT
[#48]
I am proud to say I never Tapco’d it

I will have to look but I though it came with a 20-30 round(I don’t remember) duck bill removal mags.

Prob why I assumed the matching numbers on the mag didn’t matter.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:15:45 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Joke reply but the SKS is the perfect rifle for this. Pretty slim profile and if something goes wrong it doesn't care about rust.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Joke reply but the SKS is the perfect rifle for this. Pretty slim profile and if something goes wrong it doesn't care about rust.

+1

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:20:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Shortly I'm headed to the pawn shop to grab a "security forces" marked chino SKS.  I put it on layaway 3 months ago seeing as they had it up for under $400 OTD.  it is missing the fixed mag but I have a dozen or so loose ones I've acquired over the years (they're NFS,  I'm a parts hoarder...)  .

It will just go in the ever growing pile of SKS's
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top