Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 6/1/2023 2:47:46 PM EDT
Our daughter starts kindergarten in a few months, and we'll be spending $600/month on after school care instead of the $1,600/month for daycare we do now.

So, what to do with the extra grand not going out the door every month? Already have NODs and thermal, so I guess investing is the "responsible" thing to do

Spoke with my financial guy and we're thinking about putting $500/month into our post--tax brokerage accounts and opening a brokerage account for her that would receive the other $500 every month. When she gets old enough for a high school job, we would have her start contributing some of her check/tips to get her used to putting away retirement money at an early age like my parents had me do.

We already max the pre-tax contributions in a 529 account for her, but I like the idea of having something that isn't tied to education that can also help teach the idea of saving and compound interest that isn't just a checking/savings account with our bank.

So, what would you do with an extra grand every month?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:48:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Hookers and blow
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#2]
Put into a Roth IRA or a 529 Plan
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Hookers and blow
View Quote

That's already been budgeted, and I simply don't have the extra time to take advantage of another K worth of either/both, unfortunately.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
if you save it all, you would have enough to send her to a good college so she can be brainwashed

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#5]
Give it all to the little one so she don't have to compete with senior citizens for jobs that pay low/tips when she grows up.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Pay extra on your mortgage.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:51:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

We already max the Virginia 529, but I like the idea of not putting it all in one basket and/or having that basket tied to school.

Any reason for a Roth IRA over a run of the mill brokerage account? Tax benefits? Only spoke with my guy for a second on the tail end of our quarterly chat, so I'm not sure if a Roth or a brokerage account was what he had in mind.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:52:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

That's already been budgeted, and I simply don't have the extra time to take advantage of another K worth of either/both, unfortunately.
View Quote

I know the time being a limiting factor feeling all too well

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:53:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
if you save it all, you would have enough to send her to a good college so she can be brainwashed

View Quote

Wife and I are already planting the seeds of her becoming a plumber like grandpa

While we can't control what she does after 18, we can control the purse strings on that 529 and those are going to be tied to a sound education/career plan. Indoctrination U is gonna be on her own loans/dime
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:54:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Join the "new gun a month" club.

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:54:15 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

We already max the Virginia 529, but I like the idea of not putting it all in one basket and/or having that basket tied to school.

Any reason for a Roth IRA over a run of the mill brokerage account? Tax benefits? Only spoke with my guy for a second on the tail end of our quarterly chat, so I'm not sure if a Roth or a brokerage account was what he had in mind.
View Quote

Roth, tax advantages. Growth is Tax Free for the time being.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:54:52 PM EDT
[#12]
I tell all my kids that if they can’t earn a full scholarship to college then they don’t deserve to go to college.
An extra thousand ?
1,000 rounds .45 ACP
1,500rounds 5.56
zombies ain’t gonna shoot themselves
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:55:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Send it to me
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:56:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Join the "new gun a month" club.

View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote

We already do a bit of that. Mortgage is $2,400/month and we put an extra $1,600 to the principal. Treating it like a ~15yr loan and hoping to have the note paid off around the time the little one graduates middle school. We know it doesn't make the most fiscal sense, as the loan is only 2.25%, but we like the idea of owning sooner rather than later.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:58:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Humble brag thread?  How about this then.  I have no kids.  What should I do with all my thousands every month?  Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Buy gold and silver.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:00:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Buy a rental near where she will be going to college so you won't have to pay room and board
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:00:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Not in a savings or education fund type account.  You lose purchasing power b/c of brrrrrrr!
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:01:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
You can withdraw from a Roth tax free if the money is in for at least 5 years and you're 59 and 1/2.

Check with your financial and tax guys.  It may be a very good retirement option for you.

If you're thinking you might need the money sooner, then a brokerage account may be mo' batter.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Give it all to the little one so she don't have to compete with senior citizens for jobs that pay low/tips when she grows up.
View Quote

Wife and I both worked in HS and I like the idea of her working a menial job in her teens so she 1. Realizes menial work sucks and doing better is a good idea, and 2. Hopefully understands that if tough times hit her at any point in her life, she's not above washing dishes or doing a job "beneath her" to take care of herself and her family.

This also gets into the idea of understanding taxes and the government that takes them suck and that pre-tax retirement vehicles, and the funds that grow them, are just part of the paycheck cycle. Can't miss that money every two weeks if you budget it never being in your checking account.

I'm grateful my Drill sergeant put the fear of God into me when the TSP became a thing and ensured I contributed the maximum of 7% at that time and that my parents made me open a brokerage account with what I made from my first deployment before I left for my second.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:06:38 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

We already do a bit of that. Mortgage is $2,400/month and we put an extra $1,600 to the principal. Treating it like a ~15yr loan and hoping to have the note paid off around the time the little one graduates middle school. We know it doesn't make the most fiscal sense, as the loan is only 2.25%, but we like the idea of owning sooner rather than later.
View Quote

That's a real understatement.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:09:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Send it to me

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:11:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Exactly what OP would be doing.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:11:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote

terrible advice as there are fucking savings accounts paying a higher percentage than the interest on most people's mortgages (assuming they refi'ed when rates were crazy low, which most non-retarded people did).

edit: 1 year and shorter duration treasury bonds are over 5% right now. Invest that instead of paying down low interest debt, even the most cautious and safe investments are returning a much higher rate than you're paying in interest. There are better rates than that to be found if you are willing to accept even low levels of risk.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:11:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Work less and spend that time with your daughter. That's $1600 a month less you have to earn.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:11:55 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hookers and blow
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:12:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Have another kid, why spend $1600 a month when you can spend $3040 a month, that is what we will be paying soon
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:13:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Money market fund currently making 5.5%.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:14:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Have another kid, why spend $1600 a month when you can spend $3040 a month, that is what we will be paying soon
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:16:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Daytona 392
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:17:10 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Our daughter starts kindergarten in a few months, and we'll be spending $600/month on after school care instead of the $1,600/month for daycare we do now.

So, what to do with the extra grand not going out the door every month? Already have NODs and thermal, so I guess investing is the "responsible" thing to do

Spoke with my financial guy and we're thinking about putting $500/month into our post--tax brokerage accounts and opening a brokerage account for her that would receive the other $500 every month. When she gets old enough for a high school job, we would have her start contributing some of her check/tips to get her used to putting away retirement money at an early age like my parents had me do.

We already max the pre-tax contributions in a 529 account for her, but I like the idea of having something that isn't tied to education that can also help teach the idea of saving and compound interest that isn't just a checking/savings account with our bank.

View Quote

Let me give you an honest answer:  There is no “Extra $1000”.     That’s “poor people think”, and you need to retrain your mind.  

It doesn’t matter if you have a monthly excess of $1000 or $10,000 or $30,000
Don’t think about it.

Buy what you need, and put the rest to work for you.
Max out your tax advantaged accounts, including Roths. Then, invest in other ways, and become debt free.  There is no “extra” until after your funeral expenses are all paid.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

529 plan for sure.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:18:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Vanguard Money Market currently at 5% - low risk

Growth Mutual Fund, Fidelity or Vanguard, Individual or Roth IRA - medium risk

Individual stocks - highest risk
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:22:54 PM EDT
[#35]
Take your daughter and 4 of her closest friends to the mall every month and give each of them $200 to spend.

She will quickly become the most popular kid in her class!
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:24:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Land.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:24:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Take your daughter and 4 of her closest friends to the mall every month and give each of them $200 to spend.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:31:51 PM EDT
[#38]
Send it my way plz
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:56:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 3:59:56 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote

Whatever happened with that?
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:25:01 PM EDT
[#41]
VOO
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Is your house paid off? If not I’d throw down on that.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:27:41 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hookers and blow
View Quote

Fpni
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:27:57 PM EDT
[#44]
Bitcoin
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:29:11 PM EDT
[#45]
You're sending your kid to public school and worried about college indoctrination? LOFL
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:31:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I tell all my kids that if they can’t earn a full scholarship to college then they don’t deserve to go to college.
An extra thousand ?
1,000 rounds .45 ACP
1,500rounds 5.56
zombies ain’t gonna shoot themselves
View Quote

You'd rather hoard ammo for a "zombie" fantasy than help with your kids education?

JFC
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:33:09 PM EDT
[#47]
You’re on track OP.
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:35:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Ford f250 tremor
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:35:51 PM EDT
[#49]
Buy some ATVs
Link Posted: 6/1/2023 4:37:37 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
Brokerage account or Roth-IRA for your daughter would be an excellent idea.  I'd lean toward the brokerage account myself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top