User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:38:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For me it was Quantitative Methods in Decision Making.  Linear programming, minimax oiptimization, best path calculation, all that kind of stuff.

It was hard because it was complex and you really had to pay attention.  Math was fairly hairy, but except for the matrix math fairly standard algebra.

Required for my major, got an A.

That was a prerequisite for FOR 405 & FOR 406, the senior-level make-or-break forestry courses.  405 was essentially writing a linear program to manage for non-declining, even flow of resource output off a hypothetical forest.  My LP had something 120 constraints and 90-odd variables, and the "LP Explication" report was about 120 pages.  406 was writing that management plan and mine was about 150 pages.

Amazingly, almost 30 years later, I find myself managing forests!

One of my easiest classes for Statistics for Forestry.  For some reason, stats just seems to make so much perfect sense for me.  Ended up as a tutor for other students who were having stats trouble, and did an independent study investigating the accuracy of various sampling design in forest inventory.  Wrote a program that sampled a complete forest data set (i.e. we had the x/y coordinates, diameters, and heights of EVERY tree in a stand) with various designs and compared those to the true volume values.
View Quote
I took an intro to silviculture and used some modeling software for the course. Were you building out the modeling algorithms?
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:39:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thermogoddammits.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:39:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Physics 208 - Electricity and Magnetism

I got an A, but conceptually it was the most difficult engineering course I took. Magnetic fields are weird.

Also a total weed-out course. When they say at the beginning of engineering school "look to your left and your right, between those 2 and yourself, only 2 of you will make it" - this was the course that broke most of the people that left engineering. Probably half the class dropped during the semester, even more disappeared from the engineering school after.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:43:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I can't remember the course titles.

Lowest grade - NE301 Radiation and nuclear interactions and whatnot.  Concepts not terribly difficult to grasp, but toward the end the math starts to get intense.  Professor was a dick and graded on what I'm convinced was a negative curve.

Hardest - NE401 Reactor physics.  The neutron transport equation.  Concepts were hard to grasp, but doable if you put your mind to it.  The math was just retarded.  Ever seen differentials and integrals in the same equation?  The transport equation is so complex an entire year is devoted to it, one semester using it (the pre-req to this class) and another simply deriving its DRASTICALLY simplified form (this class).  The professor no shit wrote "magic" on the board as one of the mathematical derivation steps, and boxed it in all fancy-like with stars and underlines and everything, and told us to write that in our notes.  He was every bit the stereotypical Russian, and we're almost certain he's ex-KGB.

Least understood - Forget the course number, combined PY/NE plasma physics course.  It was an 'interest' elective, so not set up to be hard grade-wise.  Concepts are just completely out to lunch.  I learned NOTHING in that class.  Plasma is just fucking weird.  The math wasn't exactly easy, but I could follow it and do it.  I just had no fucking idea whatsoever what it was supposed to mean.

Most amount of work - NE302/402 Reactor heat transfer (parts 1 and 2).  My best class.  Fully understood the concepts, the math, and how they related to each other.  The professor was a tough SOB, but he might be the single best instructor that ever lived.  He made Thermodynamics II (a pre-req for the course that NO ONE left the class actually understanding) clear in a single sentence.  The entire class went "OOOOOOOOOHHH" together when he said it. ("Entropy is simply a mathematical representation of energy that is unavailable to perform work.")  The weekly homeworks took roughly 20 hours to complete.  About the same for the bi-weekly lab reports.  Tests were always at night, and consisted of two questions.  Started at 7, and you just kept going until you finished or gave up in tears.  No time limit.  When the last person finishes, the Prof joined us at the bar across the street.  I'm not sure he ever had to, but I imagine he'd have made the last straggler stop at around midnight so as to have time left to drink.  The final project was essentially to mathematically model the heat flux/cooling channel profiles of a reactor.  Basically stitch all the previous homeworks together into one massive problem.  Was something like 20 pages of printed out Maple worksheet.
View Quote
Dude, that sounds fun.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 10:47:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Funny note on the Business Calculus thing, I had to have a "chat" with the Dean after this conversation:

Prof: You need to learn how to do this without a calculator because if we have a massive power outage or if the bombs fall, you're going to need to do this with a pen and paper.

Me: I am pretty sure a rifle and foodstuffs will be a lot more useful than business Calc if the world ends.

I'm 90% sure I would have been dismissed if I said that in today's world.
View Quote
My last interview I was asked how I handle stress.
After a few minutes explaining a job in which I am a sme will not stress me at all, I said if I get stressed, I take my precision rifle to the range and shoot, a lot.

Interviewer was a West point grad.

I got the job.

Txl
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:03:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Statistics 275 took me three times to pass
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Circuit Theory Applications.  Partly because halfway through i realized I had no interest at all in electrical engineering and had made up my mind to switch majors.  Squeaked by with a B.  Then probably heat and mass transfer which I'm taking now.  Expecting a B in the end.

Was tempted to say dif eq since I had to retake it but, I can legitimately blame that on the shit professor/course coordinator (one in the same) I had the first time around.  School opened up an extra section for that course for the summer semester because so many engineering majors failed that needed it as a pre req for their junior classes.  Got what felt like was an easy A during that summer.  None of the summer instructors had good things to say about the Spring coordinator.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:06:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Organic chemistry
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:12:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Statisics and Calc gave me fits but oldly enough thermo clicked and went smoothly.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:21:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Reading through other responses, i gotta nod in agreement to the folks that hated Calc 3.  Calc 2 eas difficult, but doable and I got an A, but Calc 3, the professor had a voice more monotone than Ben Stein and just did not teach well in general and that was a hard fought B.

In regards to Thermodynamics.... So far that's my only A+ in college.
Professor made the midterms 120/100 and I got all the points.  Coulda skipped final and passed.  Wound up doing just well enough on it to get an overall 100.08%
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:22:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Arfcom engineers will appreciate this story.

I think the course was Dynamics or Thermo - so the math wasn't overly complicated, but understanding the concept and which way forces applied could be difficult.

Well, this professor graded on a set scale, with each question being assigned X points, and percentages of each question's points assigned to various parts of the process, correct work, correct units, etc....

The rest of the numbers don't matter, but I CLEARLY remember that only 10% of the points for each question (and thus the total exam) were assigned to correct assumptions. If your assumptions were wrong, but the work stemming from your assumptions was correct from that point forward, you only lost the 10% of the points for wrong assumptions. The TA would actually trace your (wrong) work and assign partial credit for working the question correctly from the wrong starting point.

Being the loophole-seeking lazy asshole that I am (though I prefer the term "efficient") - I would list out assumptions that were clearly wrong, but that simplified the question to the point of being high-school physics simple. Things like "assume a frictionless environment" or "assume fluid is incompressible" or "assume temperature is absolute zero" or "assume 100% efficiency".

Basically, I use wrong assumptions on purpose to make the questions as simple as possible, and would get 90% on the tests
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:22:34 PM EDT
[#12]
I'm just glad to see a course I teach get multiple mentions in this thread.
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:49:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Calc 3, fuck that triple integral bullshit
Compressible Fluids
Link Posted: 4/12/2019 11:55:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
O Chem

First day prof pulled the “half of you will fail” line and he followed through with it.
View Quote
We must have went to the same college.
Organic Chemistry was a solid "weed out" class.  Turned pre-med wannabes into humanities major.

I got a D -.  Still considered a pass.  Royally effed my GPA first year.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:06:25 AM EDT
[#15]
D (+200 J) = R x T

T = D (-200J) \ R (kias x .51)

D= K x A(AGL/100) x V (mew)

Solve.

Enlisted Swine here so ... this will have to do as an under grad class for me.

Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:12:36 AM EDT
[#16]
4th semester of Spanish.  It was like an English speaker taking English and getting a foreign language credit.  It was the last class I needed to graduate and I had to look at the grade after the final test to see if I passed.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 12:37:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Arfcom engineers will appreciate this story.

I think the course was Dynamics or Thermo - so the math wasn't overly complicated, but understanding the concept and which way forces applied could be difficult.

Well, this professor graded on a set scale, with each question being assigned X points, and percentages of each question's points assigned to various parts of the process, correct work, correct units, etc....

The rest of the numbers don't matter, but I CLEARLY remember that only 10% of the points for each question (and thus the total exam) were assigned to correct assumptions. If your assumptions were wrong, but the work stemming from your assumptions was correct from that point forward, you only lost the 10% of the points for wrong assumptions. The TA would actually trace your (wrong) work and assign partial credit for working the question correctly from the wrong starting point.

Being the loophole-seeking lazy asshole that I am (though I prefer the term "efficient") - I would list out assumptions that were clearly wrong, but that simplified the question to the point of being high-school physics simple. Things like "assume a frictionless environment" or "assume fluid is incompressible" or "assume temperature is absolute zero" or "assume 100% efficiency".

Basically, I use wrong assumptions on purpose to make the questions as simple as possible, and would get 90% on the tests
View Quote
I can dig it! I did much of the same. Phy 2 syllabus said you could take the course average OR your grade on the final exam. I skipped the whole semester, studied for 12 hours and took a C+ on the final exam. I needed the time off badly. Work, two kids and a failing marriage took it's toll.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I hate that bullshit.

I had a prof. for Statics & Dynamics who prided himself that typically half the students failed his class. Seriously, if you are that bad at teaching, go do something else. By the time students get to that level, they have already proved they are committed, why go out of your way to be a dick.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
O Chem

First day prof pulled the “half of you will fail” line and he followed through with it.
I hate that bullshit.

I had a prof. for Statics & Dynamics who prided himself that typically half the students failed his class. Seriously, if you are that bad at teaching, go do something else. By the time students get to that level, they have already proved they are committed, why go out of your way to be a dick.
Had an instructor like that for a computer science class. The first day of class he introduced the TAs. He said, "They are your next to last resort if you need help. I am your last resort".
Found out that he was on probation that quarter for failing a bunch of students the previous quarter.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:20:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
yes, it would have been Fall 90 or Spring 91 that I failed diff eq... just resulted in Statistics BA rather than a BS.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
hardest class I passed?

calc 3

hardest class failed?

diff eq
Was that at Florida?

<------ class of '89

Honestly, with the 200+ student class sizes and TA's that mumbled in Chinese, it was pretty obvious that after you paid your fees, UF Administration didn't really give a shit whether you succeeded or not.
yes, it would have been Fall 90 or Spring 91 that I failed diff eq... just resulted in Statistics BA rather than a BS.
Class of '91 checking in.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 11:21:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Thermodynamics.  This class weeded out a lot of students.  UF.
View Quote
The one taught by Dr. Gater?
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 6:11:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm just glad to see a course I teach get multiple mentions in this thread.
View Quote
Grammar?

Txl
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quantitative Analysis. Was required for my major.
Link Posted: 4/13/2019 6:40:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Calc 1. All the rest and Diff EQ, no issue.
Page / 10
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top