Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#1]
Interesting analysis of the relevant Korean War weapons, authored by a noted Mil-historian:

http://www.koreanwar-educator.org/topics/reports/after_action/commentary_on_infantry_weapons_korea_1950_51.pdf

More recent commentary:

https://www.americanrifleman.org/content/the-forgotten-war-the-men-guns-of-korea-1950/
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What weapon would you carry as an infantry soldier/Marine during the Korean War if you were able to choose?
View Quote

The one they issue me for my job.  Just like in the middle east.  

There was no "choice" so you get good with what you got.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 7:58:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What weapon would you carry as an infantry soldier/Marine during the Korean War if you were able to choose?

Troops did exchange weapons, just like in WWII.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:02:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I read somewhere that carbines were less than effective there in Korea where the weather was freezing ass cold and the DPR troops were bundled up with layers of clothing. It seems the anemic cartridge in the carbine had a harder time retaining terminal effectiveness after punching through all those layers of clothing.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
carbine with night vision.
I read somewhere that carbines were less than effective there in Korea where the weather was freezing ass cold and the DPR troops were bundled up with layers of clothing. It seems the anemic cartridge in the carbine had a harder time retaining terminal effectiveness after punching through all those layers of clothing.

Uh huh.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:05:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

M1 Carbine tended to jam more than the others, but the lack of penetration has been tested and found to be false.

M1 Carbine Frozen Clothes

M1 Carbine Myths

View Quote

While I believe it is largely a myth, someone needs to test period correct layered communist clothing in deep cold with the outer layers encrusted in ice, not some random clothing that they pulled out of their freezer and then shot in the middle of the desert.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

While I believe it is largely a myth, someone needs to test period correct layered communist clothing in deep cold with the outer layers encrusted in ice, not some random clothing that they pulled out of their freezer and then shot in the middle of the desert.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

M1 Carbine tended to jam more than the others, but the lack of penetration has been tested and found to be false.

M1 Carbine Myths

No, they don't. Winter jackets don't stop bullets cruising at 1900 fps. I don't care what you make them out of or how much you freeze them.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:15:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Attachment Attached File
One of these...

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:17:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

No, they don't. Winter jackets don't stop bullets cruising at 1900 fps. I don't care what you make them out of or how much you freeze them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

M1 Carbine Myths

Garand Thumb should do a video on this.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Thompson Sub Machine gun
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#11]
for a should fired small arm with the kind of combat that was going on there

M3A1 Grease gun...... .45ACP sub gun that's pretty basic would've worked fine
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Garand
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

What if the outer layers are saturated with ice that's built up over weeks or months of living in -30 or colder weather?

That might be enough to make the occasional shot to glance off or at least cause a less serious wound to the wearer than it would have otherwise.

Or not, but until someone has a more convincing demonstration than shooting a barely frozen bathtowel in the Arizona desert, I wouldn't discount it entirely.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:02:42 PM EDT
[#14]
M3 Grease Gun.  

lulz

"I'll take the M3 Grease Gun!" Said no one ever.  

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:03:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

What if the outer layers are saturated with ice that's built up over weeks or months of living in -30 or colder weather?

That might be enough to make the occasional shot to glance off or at least cause a less serious wound to the wearer than it would have otherwise.

Or not, but until someone has a more convincing demonstration than shooting a barely frozen bathtowel in the Arizona desert, I wouldn't discount it entirely.
View Quote

Dude.  Its ice.   Any layer thick enough to make any noticeable difference whatsoever would weigh more than the chinese peasant it was stuck to.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:07:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Spent a year and a half in Korea - give me something that has a lot of reach and a lot of capacity.  7.62 would be preferable to 5.56 in my opinion.

But when you start talking about humping yama's for days on end, suddenly 5.56 sounds pretty nice.  
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:09:22 PM EDT
[#17]
My uncle was a 2nd Lt. in 1953. He carried a Thompson SMG and traded it for a M-2 carbine due to the weight.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:09:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
M3 Grease Gun.  

lulz

"I'll take the M3 Grease Gun!" Said no one ever.  

View Quote

Guys in the WWII threads were bitching that I had the Thompson as a choice instead of the Grease Gun.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:12:06 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Dude.  Its ice.   Any layer thick enough to make any noticeable difference whatsoever would weigh more than the chinese peasant it was stuck to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wet and sandy fur slows bullets down pretty quick and does make penetration tough.

Alaska state troopers carry 40cal because of the multiple outer clothing people wear in winter.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

We never did.  And I'm not switching to a weapon I haven't trained with.  

I'll stick to the one I trained with every day ending in Y.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:17:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Wet and sandy fur slows bullets down pretty quick and does make penetration tough.

Alaska state troopers carry 40cal because of the multiple outer clothing people wear in winter.
View Quote

Uh huh.

And if they swapped their 40 cals for .30 carbine, do you think they'd suddenly encounter difficulty penetrating that winter clothing?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:25:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Father in law was in Korea with an M1/M2 carbine. Said that one night he fired it so much the handguard and forestock burned.
The extent of the charring was so bad that they elected to bury the carbine later on. Lot of shooting done.
Only thing he worried about was having enough loaded magazines available.

rongoromgo
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:35:45 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
carbine with night vision.

Myth….they missed
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 9:52:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What scenario do you imagine where a winter jacket is so saturated with ice that it can stop or deflect a bullet? The malnourished guy wearing it will be dead long before a carbine is aimed at him.

The myth probably came from some guy who wasn't quite as good a shot as he thought he was, and his son or grandson repeated it as gospel.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:07:39 PM EDT
[#25]
The biggest issue with 30 carbine was people not hitting what they were shooting at. There’s a couple problems stacking up. If I’m in a foxhole with a guy who’s got a garand and across the valley is a division of Chinese soldiers blowing bugles and crashing symbols shooting rifles at us. My buddy with a garand is going to be shooting and when he is the natural instincts for me is going to be shooting also. Maybe we’re within range for his garand but we probably are well out of range with the carbine. Similarly if I’ve got the happy switch poked forward and I miss the first shot I probably also missed the ten after it. Most people however will never say they could have possible missed.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:29:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Some of you guys might want to actually read what Korean War combat vets said about the weapons they fought with. The M1 carbine wasn’t highly praised at all, other than it was lighter to tote around than the M1 Garand and held more than 8-rds in the detachable mags. It was mostly viewed as combat ineffective, or not much more effective than if fighting solely with a pistol (1911). At close range the Thompson was a better weapon and certainly at longer ranges the Garand was better.

Overwhelming in a firefight against a human wave of screaming Commie gooks running at them, the soldiers preferred machine-gun fire and M1 Garands.

Below is a link to the book containing transcripts of statements from both WW2 and Korean War vets. In other words, as told in their own words:

https://www.amazon.com/Infantry-Weapons-Combat-Personal-Experiences/dp/1888722150

Highly recommended.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:31:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Some of you guys might want to actually read what Korean War combat vets said about the weapons they fought with. The M1 carbine wasn’t highly praised at all, other than it was lighter to tote around than the M1 Garand and held more than 8-rds in the detachable mags. It was mostly viewed as combat ineffective, or not much more effective than if fighting solely with a pistol (1911). At close range the Thompson was a better weapon and certainly at longer ranges the Garand was better.

Overwhelming in a firefight against a human wave of screaming Commie gooks running at them, the soldiers preferred machine-gun fire and M1 Garands.

Below is a link to the book containing transcripts of statements from both WW2 and Korean War vets:

https://www.amazon.com/Infantry-Weapons-Combat-Personal-Experiences/dp/1888722150

Highly recommended.
View Quote

Written in 2005. When were the interviews conducted?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:33:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Below is a link to the book containing transcripts of statements from both WW2 and Korean War vets:

Highly recommended.

The author discusses such background details in the book. Forward written by Garand Master Expert, Scott Duff.

Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:34:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

The author discusses such background details in the book. Forward written by Garand Master Expert, Scott Duff.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highly recommended.

I don't have the book in front of me. What are the background details?
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:36:34 PM EDT
[#30]
muh 1911
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#31]
I had two good friends who were infantry Marines during the Korean War. One loved his M-1 rifle, the other loved his M-2 carbine.

My friend's M-2 was destroyed by friendly fire when a barrage of 105mm artillery landed short. He was very upset and had to carry on with an M-1 rifle he scrounge up after the dust had settled.

Both served well and the M-1 rifle was valuable for it's long range accuracy I'm told.

I'd be happy with either.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 10:38:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Highly recommended.

Don’t have it in front of me either, just now. Will have to follow up later.
Link Posted: 4/30/2023 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#33]
M-1 Garand
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 12:18:04 AM EDT
[#34]
M1 garand with as much ammo as I could carry.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:05:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

What scenario do you imagine where a winter jacket is so saturated with ice that it can stop or deflect a bullet? The malnourished guy wearing it will be dead long before a carbine is aimed at him.

The myth probably came from some guy who wasn't quite as good a shot as he thought he was, and his son or grandson repeated it as gospel.
View Quote

Through the course of normal activities combined with limited opportunities to get warm and dry.

Even a person's breath can eventually freeze and accumulate on the front of their jacket if its cold enough and the material is not sufficiently moisture repellent.

I would imagine that at least some of these guys were wearing multiple pairs of pants and tops, as I've had to do in the extreme cold.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 1:34:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
My uncle was a 2nd Lt. in 1953. He carried a Thompson SMG and traded it for a M-2 carbine due to the weight.
View Quote

My uncle Joe was a young E5 in the Infantry and carried an M1 until he was captured by the norks in 1950. His brother, my grandpa, carried an M1 during the battle of the bulge. Give me the M1 any time.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:44:35 PM EDT
[#37]
I asked a couple of Korea era vets this same thing a long time ago.  Same answer.  You carried what you were told to and rarely had a choice.  If you were issued a carbine or M3 smg it was generally for a reason, like personal defense or guard duty.  Vietnam and later, yes there was some flexibility.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:49:12 PM EDT
[#38]
M1C but with a MRDS using a picatinny mount on the M84 scope.

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:50:34 PM EDT
[#39]
1903A4.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:50:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
This would've been solid planning, but "not invented here" syndrome is part of why we didn't adopt the BM-59 or FAL, to say nothing of the BHP, or any SMGs that didn't suck.
View Quote

We could have come up with the BM-59 ourselves.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'd prefer a captured PPsh-41.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 4:54:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Feeding that bitch at 1200 RPM might be a challenge.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#43]
M1C all day long.

But I’d carry spare belt ammo and grenades.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:11:18 PM EDT
[#44]
My Dad had an M1 in Korea and he had no complaints.

I'd buy him one if I had the money to do it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:25:24 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Below is a link to the book containing transcripts of statements from both WW2 and Korean War vets. In other words, as told in their own words:

Highly recommended.
View Quote

I have not read this book but if this is stated I would hold the rest of the assertions as suspect.  Not even getting to stopping power of the cartridges, magazine capacity, or ballistics of barrel length, the simple ease of shooting the M1 Carbine accurately over any handgun (much less a 1911) should have us as skeptics.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:27:42 PM EDT
[#46]
Dad didn't talk much about Korea but he did mention once he carried an M2 Carbine.  He said he had no complaints.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 5:31:36 PM EDT
[#47]

Pardon my mistake. I stand corrected!
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:20:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Carbine
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#49]
Tell us more about these!

Quoted:
I voted for the carbine, but the MG42 and STG44 made in Ohio are the actual right answer.
View Quote

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 8:22:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
I voted for the carbine, but the MG42 and STG44 made in Ohio are the actual right answer.

I’m agreeing with the poster who said we should have taken the MG42 and STG44 and started making them ourselves. Fuck a Kraut manufacturing license

I know they make tanks there now, but wasn’t there an arsenal in Ohio back then? Maybe it was the beers getting Ohio Ordnance of today mixed up with the 1950s era production centers.
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top