Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Last time we had a thread like this the world shut down for 2 years.

View Quote

Yeah, but aren’t we fortunate we were on ARFCOM at the time.  I remember reading threads on here in December about a weird Chinese flu.  By the time we shut down the following March we were ready.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Covid was a test run. They’re probably releasing a variant with a 80% fatality rate.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:32:24 PM EDT
[#3]
@glockluv

Asymptomatic cases.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:34:41 PM EDT
[#4]
You know, my tinfoil says it would be pretty good cover to stage troops and prepare for military action.

…but I am a doomer.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:36:43 PM EDT
[#5]
People don’t think totalitarian governments be like it is but it do.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:36:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
This was ... predictable.

For all the theories about mass spread and deaths in China from COVID, observable evidence indicated this wasn't the case based on the surveillance of antigenic drift of Chinese cases and suspected transmissions from China in the intervening years.

Add to that, a strong suspicion that their vaccine results were faked in the same manner than so many other things are faked over there, and you have a Smokey the Bear red placard fire hazard conditions for disease spread.

It was just a matter of time.  PROC is good at whack a mole.  But, for something with an R0 this high, you need near perfection.  And, that's unrealistic.
View Quote

@L_JE

In English, please.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:39:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Covid was a test run. They’re probably releasing a variant with a 80% fatality rate.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:39:41 PM EDT
[#8]

I was reading a similar 4chan thread as you sent me the mention.

This could def complicate my life if this continues to spiral.

I had a Teams meeting last night with my primary Chinese manufacturer and asked them to please over communicate if they expected any supply chain issues as a result of the Zero CoV policy. No one mentioned anything so right now I'm going to assume we're GTG
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:41:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Covid was a test run. They're probably releasing a variant with a 80% fatality rate.
View Quote

From your lips to gods ears.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:41:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Prolly just getting some Soylent green ingredients rounded up for the next batch.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:42:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
You know, my tinfoil says it would be pretty good cover to stage troops and prepare for military action.

…but I am a doomer.
View Quote

Your military assessment is proper and astute.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:42:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I had a Teams meeting last night with my primary Chinese manufacturer and asked them to please over communicate if they expected any supply chain issues as a result of the Zero CoV policy. No one mentioned anything so right now I'm going to assume we're GTG
View Quote
You are definitely GTG....communists in China would never lie or conceal the truth from Americans.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:44:24 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

It seems mainly confined to Shanghai right now.  This dude has been live tweeting his experience.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:44:39 PM EDT
[#14]
In!
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Fire drill
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:46:03 PM EDT
[#16]
you need to change the title to "  China Lockdown Part 2" and in before the new sub forum.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:51:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Because they decided to weld people into their apartments and likely simply murder a bunch of people to prevent the spread the first time around, they never managed to pick up any sort of herd immunity.

Now they can't stop the spread and don't know how to deal with it.

They're not going to invade Taiwan.
View Quote

Stop the spread of a cold
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:52:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Attachment Attached File

Lockdown lockdown!!!
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:54:31 PM EDT
[#19]
BRB, gonna go buy a pallet of toilet paper
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:56:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 10:59:21 PM EDT
[#21]
They are forcibly testing/vaxxing everyone in shanghai iirc
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:00:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Maybe I should move to cash (this time) and wait for the next drop?

I mean, all the signs were there last time. Could have retired.
View Quote

plot twist, 8% per month inflation
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:01:04 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
You are definitely GTG....communists in China would never lie or conceal the truth from Americans.
View Quote

Exactly, the Chinese culture isn't known for saving face.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Fire drill
View Quote
What kind of fire drill?

Nick
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:04:51 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

@L_JE

In English, please.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
This was ... predictable.

For all the theories about mass spread and deaths in China from COVID, observable evidence indicated this wasn't the case based on the surveillance of antigenic drift of Chinese cases and suspected transmissions from China in the intervening years.

Add to that, a strong suspicion that their vaccine results were faked in the same manner than so many other things are faked over there, and you have a Smokey the Bear red placard fire hazard conditions for disease spread.

It was just a matter of time.  PROC is good at whack a mole.  But, for something with an R0 this high, you need near perfection.  And, that's unrealistic.

@L_JE

In English, please.
In rough numbers, for ever million subsequent infections, there's X degree of genetic difference between the genes of the virus at the beginning of that infection chain and the genetic code of the most recent virus in the most recently infected people.

For the genetic testing in India, virologists doing the genetic mapping were observing like 10X or 100X.  That's how we got some exotic strains coming out of places like India, South Africa, Peru, or wherever.  Whichever countries had the most infections were most likely to be the origins of virus with greatest degree of mutation.  Not guaranteed, just more probable.

Virologists weren't seeing that in China.  They were seeing some fraction of X.  Which is consistent with what we've heard about "case isolation" in China.  

"Zero COVID" doesn't mean they have zero cases, just that they aggressively run these infection chains to near-extinction when they become known.  And they do this through methods that really shake the western mind.

If China's vaccine was amazingly effective, ok, that could account for their low case rates.  But, we also know that China loves to lie about, well, everything.  Their public face, and saving of face, is very important.  Nobody is going to buck the Party's desire to move forward with industrial production, and an apparent vaccine solution to a problem that the rest of the world can't seem to solve.  The guys doing the testing probably knew their "published" results weren't the real deal.  But, can you come out and say that in China?  Probably not.

The CCP are the same guys who found an early transmission model of COVID, and made sure their Wuhan numbers matched that.  I've NEVER seen a predictive model correlate so well with future observations.  While I have little doubt the real number of infections and deaths overshot what they (and the model) said, I also have little doubt they were able to bring this overshoot under control, albeit through some heavy-fisted measures.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:07:41 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You know who we never talk about? The Mongolians. What do they think about this?
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:07:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Something about the USMC in Korea. Something about myriads of dead Chinese troops laying dead in the field. Dead. Shot in the face. Deceased with napalm burns and entrails hanging out. Sorry about your luck Wang.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:11:17 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I had a Teams meeting last night with my primary Chinese manufacturer and asked them to please over communicate if they expect

ed any supply chain issues as a result of the Zero CoV policy. No one mentioned anything so right now I'm going to assume we're GTG
View All Quotes
Quoted:

I had a Teams meeting last night with my primary Chinese manufacturer and asked them to please over communicate if they expect

ed any supply chain issues as a result of the Zero CoV policy. No one mentioned anything so right now I'm going to assume we're GTG

.....yeah supply chains are hosed and not getting better for a loooooong time.   Best to tell your customers shipments will be late.  

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:14:18 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Only in GD would we have a gif of Gen Idi Amin Dada  to illustrate a belly laugh reaction.   I find that hilarious.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Only in GD would we have a gif of Gen Idi Amin Dada  to illustrate a belly laugh reaction.   I find that hilarious.
Despite his murderous reputation, he does seem like an affable fellow.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:17:38 PM EDT
[#30]
Probably getting the next variant ready to send over just in time for the midterms.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:21:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

.....yeah supply chains are hosed and not getting better for a loooooong time.   Best to tell your customers shipments will be late.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I told my folks to write off the parts sitting in a shipping container at a freight forwarder in Shanghai.  Start making local out of forge stock...they ain't coming from China any time soon.  They can't/won't beat covid, but they might lose their country trying for very long.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:22:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Probably getting the next variant ready to send over just in time for the midterms.
View Quote

Except this time, now being appropriately positioned (financially invested), politicians will require N95 masks!
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:22:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Covid lockdown plus food shortages.  People are pissed.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:23:06 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

It seems mainly confined to Shanghai right now.  This dude has been live tweeting his experience.  

View Quote

The larger issue will be how it impacts the ports.

It's not make or break for me right now (with where many of my projects are at) but I do see these thread titles and immediately get that sinking feeling in my stomach

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
You know who we never talk about? The Mongolians. What do they think about this?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/504440/59E89BCF-5A4A-4625-B3CA-709A7BB831E7_jpe-2341630.JPG
I didn't say anything about the shitty wall.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:28:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

We have a guy in China right now.  He doesn't like saying much over the phone because...I'm not sure which government he's worried about but given he's in China you get the idea.

The impression I got was given the zero COVID policy and the crackdowns they're putting on everyone the government is trying to control outcomes (obviously) but mostly trying to keep their people from getting pissed off as their economy is screwed up just like everyone else's.  This seems almost self imposed at this point.  

I took it as the Chinese are deciding to put the screws to their own people (normal) in order to put the screws to us/EU land.  That's just my take.  

I can give an example of a company we work with who has plants here in the US and in China who said they can't get materials INSIDE China for one of their Chinese plants for over three months.  I know where the plant is and I know they literally make these materials in the same general area of the province.  So, logically the materials are either all used up, sold to someone else, they don't have staff, or there isn't enough energy to produce them.  It just seems...odd.  You could call these guys up and have these materials "on the water" in a matter of weeks and see them in the US let's say a month and a half or two months max after ordering at least in the past.

Now they're saying within China it's a three month delay and for the US?  Try at least 6 months to a year.  I'm curious who can outlast that type of delay.  The US manufactures who have little US resources to create these materials (because we moved them to China) or China who wait until these US factories fall apart and can no longer produce.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:29:27 PM EDT
[#37]
i shit you not, my brother who is a left wing commie had about the same idea on how to stop covid in the US as the ching chong chinese did, no idea what this troop movement shit is all about though.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:33:50 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

You know shipping from overseas hasn't been too bad as of late.

Biggest hurdle I have to deal with on a day to day is just seeing ridiculously long lead times. Widget A used to be 30 days or 60 days and now I'm commonly seeing items with 120 to 180 day lead time
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:39:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

20 days in lockdown, what is this los Angeles?
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:41:05 PM EDT
[#40]
Imagine what that shit sounds like. The first time this came up 2 years ago when China was bulldozing roads to close them I said I was more worried about what all the governments (including ours) was going to do more than the actual virus. Blind squirrel acorn and such.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:44:42 PM EDT
[#41]
The lockdowns are preventing the population from reaching a level of immunity that would allow them to resume normal life.
All they're doing is postponing the cure, and in the process, guaranteeing themselves further lockdowns. Which is perhaps what their government wants.
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

We have a guy in China right now.  He doesn't like saying much over the phone because...I'm not sure which government he's worried about but given he's in China you get the idea.

The impression I got was given the zero COVID policy and the crackdowns they're putting on everyone the government is trying to control outcomes (obviously) but mostly trying to keep their people from getting pissed off as their economy is screwed up just like everyone else's.  This seems almost self imposed at this point.  

I took it as the Chinese are deciding to put the screws to their own people (normal) in order to put the screws to us/EU land.  That's just my take.  

I can give an example of a company we work with who has plants here in the US and in China who said they can't get materials INSIDE China for one of their Chinese plants for over three months.  I know where the plant is and I know they literally make these materials in the same general area of the province.  So, logically the materials are either all used up, sold to someone else, they don't have staff, or there isn't enough energy to produce them.  It just seems...odd.  You could call these guys up and have these materials "on the water" in a matter of weeks and see them in the US let's say a month and a half or two months max after ordering at least in the past.

Now they're saying within China it's a three month delay and for the US?  Try at least 6 months to a year.  I'm curious who can outlast that type of delay.  The US manufactures who have little US resources to create these materials (because we moved them to China) or China who wait until these US factories fall apart and can no longer produce.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where have I seen this movie before,
Asian country engaged in mass military build up, divererting resources and supporting the agressor  in Europe.

Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:51:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 4/7/2022 11:56:36 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
So many options to choose from:

It might be an extreme reaction to COVID, since they never developed herd immunity due to extreme lockdowns plus their domestically produced vaccine is the absolute least effective of all the ones produced.

Or it could be

Some sort of staging for a move on Taiwan

Or it could be

Something relating to their floundering financial system. Shanghai is a major financial hub and their shadow banking system has been threatening to collapse for over a year.
View Quote

its the highlighted red. chinese paranoia, no herd immunity, shitty vaccine.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:11:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View Quote

Now it’s a “government” organized group buy!

Wonders of communism
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:16:57 AM EDT
[#46]
China virus 3 has been released as Xi needs further reduction of the population.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:21:52 AM EDT
[#47]
Counterfeit goods raid
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:23:09 AM EDT
[#48]
It's psyops.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#49]
If I were Taiwan I'd be developing a bunch of really weak Wuflu strains and every time China starts to get uppity I'd send one to a major city, just keep them locking down port and production cities for a couple of years while continuing to build their own defenses and trying (total pipe dream) to get the other Asian countries on board with a common defense against China.  

In all seriousness, if things continue as they are in China, they're going to have to start a war with someone to keep their domestic population in line, it's pretty much the standard playbook of commie countries.
Link Posted: 4/8/2022 1:10:39 AM EDT
[#50]
The new doomer fixation!!!
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top