Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:33:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If they are in a marked car they can enforce traffic laws. How do you know they are not enforcing HOV violations?

Get over it OP! Weak!
View Quote
So a Capitol Police officer is enforcing speed limit laws in the state of virginia from the HOV lane on his way home?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:46:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I never see police/fire/military abusing the HOV here.  What I do see is 40 and 50 year old assholes of all flavors driving expensive german cars in the HOV lanes.  And let's not forget the blonde soccer mom driving a suburban w/ a car seat in the back, my commute is always good for seeing about five of those in the HOV.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:49:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Been that way for years on 66, pisses me off too.

I had a ffx motorcycle cop get butthurt and give me a ticket for passing him.  He was all mad yelling about how I looked at him and did it anyways (true) and then my dumbass laughed.  

72 in a 60, so I suppose that makes me a rare bird that's not getting pulled over for HOV violation or a reckless. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:52:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Lane?  I-66 is an HOV-only ROAD inside the beltway.  Fuck HOV.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They would be more valuable as a regular lane instead of the few who qualify and the fewer who don't.
Lane?  I-66 is an HOV-only ROAD inside the beltway.  Fuck HOV.
left lane is HOV2 outside the beltway. 

And yeah I agree, HOV is bullshit, I paid for that shit I should be able to drive on it.  Now we'll get to pay for it 24/7 when they implement the tolls.  

Fuckers
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:54:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Once DART police stopped patrolling HOV lanes in DFW I noticed the majority of the drivers abused this privilege, treating it more like a left lane.  No worries, they are now being phased out in favor of "express lane" toll roads.
View Quote
The best part of that deal is the roads are built with taxpayer money, then given to private companies.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:57:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I never see police/fire/military abusing the HOV here.  What I do see is 40 and 50 year old assholes of all flavors driving expensive german cars in the HOV lanes.  And let's not forget the blonde soccer mom driving a suburban w/ a car seat in the back, my commute is always good for seeing about five of those in the HOV.
View Quote
You're the second to mention babies or car seats.

Are the children not people, as required by the law, or do the laws and rules and whatever says 2+ adults?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 2:58:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
So a Capitol Police officer is enforcing speed limit laws in the state of virginia from the HOV lane on his way home?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
If they are in a marked car they can enforce traffic laws. How do you know they are not enforcing HOV violations?

Get over it OP! Weak!
How do you know he is not?

Why are you so concerned with this?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:01:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Are the children not people, as required by the law, or do the laws and rules and whatever says 2+ adults?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's dumb as fuck but kids do count.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#9]
And let's not forget those bullshit 20mph lighted school zones.  They're nothing but speed traps.

Now let's all go out and yell at some clouds!
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:09:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I ride 66.  In the morning I use HOV when taking my kid to daycare.  He's not really visible behind the window tint, haven't been pulled over yet but I bet it will happen.  Someone at work told me their have kid trained to lift his arms up to signal a second occupant when they pass a cop so they don't get pulled over.  

My gripe w/ the LE riding HOV on their way home is that I never know when its safe to speed.  Hard to tell if cop is just a commuter or patrolling.  I know a secret service agent that commutes HOV in his own car, he just holds his badge up to the window when he passes by a cop.  

Heard the west stretch of 66 is going to go HOV3, so we'll have alot less riders on it to block the LE commuters. 
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:14:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah we see the same thing in atlanta, you do know we are the surfs dont you?
View Quote
I didn't know that surfing was a thing in Atlanta.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:20:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly.  To those here bitching about a child counting, are children people or not?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:21:23 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Exactly.  To those here bitching about a child counting, are children people or not?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Honestly IDGAF but since the idea behind HOV is to take cars off the road then you would think they would need licensed drivers to make the number.  
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:23:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
2/10 would not read again.

TL:DR=OP is trigger. When you work at mcdonalds you get more French fries in your happy meal.
View Quote
Lol
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:26:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm sure it's probably perfectly legal, I doubt it's really in the spirit of the law though.  Remember, these HOV restrictions are only during rush hour (at least in Phoenix they are), during all other hours the HOV lane is treated as any other lane of traffic. These laws were enacted as a way to encourage carpooling to ease congestion and smog, and someone driving with their child in the back during rush hour is hardly doing anything to ease congestion or reduce smog, because the kid can't drive themselves anyway.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:32:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

The best part of that deal is the roads are built with taxpayer money, then given to private companies.
View Quote
They are leased
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:39:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It's because it's the law. Gov loves to exempt themselves.

See the Va. Code § 33.2-501 - Law enforcement vehicles are not subject to HOV rules ever, doesn't matter if on/off duty.

Not sure how that applies to other GOV license plate vehicles, but at least with respect to cops they have free reign to use them whenever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's because it's the law. Gov loves to exempt themselves.

See the Va. Code § 33.2-501 - Law enforcement vehicles are not subject to HOV rules ever, doesn't matter if on/off duty.

Not sure how that applies to other GOV license plate vehicles, but at least with respect to cops they have free reign to use them whenever.
Most relevant reply in the entire thread, but has received no attention at all.

From the above cited section of the Va. Code:

[...]However, no designation of any lane or lanes of any highway as HOV lanes shall apply to the use of any such lanes by:

1. Emergency vehicles such as firefighting vehicles and emergency medical services vehicles;

2. Law-enforcement vehicles;

3. Motorcycles; [...]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:52:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Honestly IDGAF but since the idea behind HOV is to take cars off the road then you would think they would need licensed drivers to make the number.  
View Quote
I agree completely.  Poorly worded laws I bet.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 3:56:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote
Just like LEO exempt themselves from state AWB's too, huh?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:00:26 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm really okay with this, and I drive on 95 and 66 all the time.

Even if an LEO is off-duty, it doesn't mean he won't suddenly need to be on duty if there is an emergency.

If you are stuck in traffic (especially on 95 when they're doing construction), you aren't going ANYWHERE, don't even count on a usable shoulder, flashing lights or not. And there are some pretty long stretches between entrances to the HOV lanes.

I'd rather have our first responders be in a position where they can quickly respond should they need to.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

[url]http://i0.kym-cdn.com/photos/images/original/000/562/189/d61.gif[k/url]
View Quote
No not at all. Failures of McDonald's employees doesn't cause the death of innocent civilians unlike the fuzz....
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LEO don't exempt themselves from anything. The legislators exempt LEO from laws. LEOs enforce, not write laws.

Civics fail.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:12:05 PM EDT
[#23]
The King's men are free to traverse the King's road at their leisure.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:13:21 PM EDT
[#24]
At least it's still HOV.  Better than the Express Lanes BS.  They get used less and congestion is worse.  Why?  Because very few can afford to pay $30, one way, when commuting.    Why does it cost that much, might you ask?  Well because some retard came up with the idea that you should pay more when there is more congestion.  Stand still traffic, cost sky rockets.   Now a smart person might ask themselves, why would you jack the price up thus discouraging use of the open lanes and actually making the congestion even worse?  One does indeed wonder....
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#25]
So, we have determined that it is permitted by Virginia law and we, well most of us, know that police do not write laws.  

But, if that is not sufficient, I propose all off duty cops in marked cars ride in the regular lanes at the speed limit for a few days.  The next complaint will be that the cops are holding up traffic because everyone will by following below the speed limit and/or braking every time they come up on a marked unit.

I prefer marked units to be no where near me on the freeway.  Some people are unpredictable and react in stupid ways, which in many cases slows traffic to below the normal speed limit.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:25:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Check your privilege, Citizen
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:26:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Who gives a fuck?

I used to park my patrol car in the FIRE zone when I went into Lowes to buy personal shit.

Sue me.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck?

I used to park my patrol car in the FIRE zone when I went into Lowes to buy personal shit.

Sue me.
View Quote
^

Good luck man...
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:29:22 PM EDT
[#29]
Reminds me of growing up in MA where it seemed State Troopers would lose their jobs if their cars went below 90 MPH.

The only time they slowed down was to pull someone over for speeding
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:38:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck?

Sue me.
View Quote
Come on man, that's what the "For Police Use Only" spaces are for.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 4:59:51 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:03:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:13:10 PM EDT
[#33]
You know the score.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:35:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Yeah we see the same thing in atlanta, you do know we are the surfs dont you?
View Quote
Serfs you illiterate :-)
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:36:38 PM EDT
[#35]
lol
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:42:21 PM EDT
[#36]
HOV lanes, emission testing, CCW class requirements, no CCW in bars......You folks live in fucked up states.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:45:16 PM EDT
[#37]
Go ahead call it in, use my phone, I'll even tell you who is on duty.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Its threads like this that remind me to drive the speed limit on an 8 lane highway when Im in a marked patrol car. That way I can get traffic backed up behind me like cattle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:00:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
HOV lanes, emission testing, CCW class requirements, no CCW in bars......You folks live in fucked up states.
View Quote
You know there are HOV lanes in IN, right?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:05:48 PM EDT
[#40]
This thread needs more cowbell.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:12:53 PM EDT
[#41]

Ed
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:15:24 PM EDT
[#42]
I remember seeing that crap on 270 and 495 when I was stationed in Bethesda.  I was never happier to move away from an area before.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:19:07 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So being a cop is the same as working at mcdonalds?
View Quote
Ever heard of an analogy?
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 6:27:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:06:58 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I just wanted you to know....that you are my hero.
View Quote

I'm working my way up to blocking handicap ramps at Hardees.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:13:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck?

Sue me.
View Quote
You're still alive.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:19:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Who gives a fuck?
Sue me.
View Quote
I used to like going to DMV across the hall from traffic court in uniform and just strolling up to a window while everyone was waiting.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:27:01 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

You're still alive.
View Quote
Barely.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

I used to like going to DMV across the hall from traffic court in uniform and just strolling up to a window while everyone was waiting.
View Quote

The audacity! What about those citizens??
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 7:32:26 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Most agencies have something in their policy/GO that requires it yeah--especially in today's social media world.  Nothing like a 10 second youtube video of a marked car driving on by past a bad car accident.  You think the brass want to deal with that? 
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So youre telling me a USCP is going to stop and help with an MVA thats in VA when they are off duty?
Most agencies have something in their policy/GO that requires it yeah--especially in today's social media world.  Nothing like a 10 second youtube video of a marked car driving on by past a bad car accident.  You think the brass want to deal with that? 
Here, on duty or off, in a marked unit or in uniform, you have to stop for a traffic crash, and handle it if in jurisdiction.

Of course, get caught in the HOV lane for the Crescent City Connection while not on duty on a call, you get the ticket plus 10 days without pay for a first offense.  Third offense in a 36 month period equals termination.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top