BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 11
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:14:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

You (a casual onlooker) seem pretty certain that God cheated that child out of something.

How do you know that, exactly?

Note the unspoken accusation that God--Who intentionally called that child into existence out of nothingness--has somehow wronged that child with His plan for that child's life.
View Quote

So a child suffers a horrible dearh for God's plan? Got it....
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:15:18 PM EDT
[#2]
We just had this very discussion at work yesterday - yeah I know - never talk religion, politics or sjw shit at work but the four of us pretty well keep it inside our inner circle.

I for one believe in a higher power(s) - the specifics of which I honestly don't know but I do believe there is a higher something. For me, I have pretty well questioned this my entire life as far back as I can remember but its definitely become in the last 12 years or so as a much deeper belief in higher power over god based in Christian terms, and I won't even go into organized religion...

I will say whatever this higher something is - I have absolutely zero faith and negative trust in higher powers and even less faith and much deeper negative trust in humanity as a whole.
Two out of us four believe in a god from a religious standpoint. If there is a god - I have a hard time believing in the good of this god. FWIW...
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:15:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You (a casual onlooker) seem pretty certain that God cheated that child out of something.

Note the unspoken accusation that God--Who intentionally called that child into existence out of nothingness--has somehow wronged that child with His plan for that child's life.

And implicit in your analysis is the hubris that you actually think that you know what God's plan is, and actually have a better one.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

The particular godless you speak of are irrationals, just like the godful. BOTH have contributed greatly to the unnecessary pain in the world.
View Quote

WRONG, they use rationality for their evil and genocide. Rationality without Gods love and compassion leads to the killing fields, the gas chamber the gulag....EVERYTIME
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:17:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yea no. Quite the opposite.

God didn’t do that OP. The sick fucks did.
View Quote

Yup.

And now that 3-year-old is living a wonderful existence in the Father's kingdom.

God can make good out of anything.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:18:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Note the unspoken accusation that God--Who intentionally called that child into existence out of nothingness--has somehow wronged that child with His plan for that child's life.  Perhaps you should more carefully scrutinize your prideful/self-righteous accusations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
God gives us free will, and He gives us choices to make. Some people choose to be horrible. That is their doing, not God.

How does that fit with little kids getting cancer?  Does that fall under the "God works in mysterious ways" or "It must be the devil"?

Note the unspoken accusation that God--Who intentionally called that child into existence out of nothingness--has somehow wronged that child with His plan for that child's life.  Perhaps you should more carefully scrutinize your prideful/self-righteous accusations.

If you're saying that God decided to give a little kid cancer and take them to heaven, then congrats on being the first person I've ever talked to that laid that accountability at his feet.  Normally there is nothing but deflection and mystery.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:18:55 PM EDT
[#7]
It is funny watching the hard core Christians on GD call Liberals unreasoned idiots who blindly follow cult-like Leftism with all their might while pulling non-arguments out of their ass and hurling them with vindictive anger.  (Which I fully agree with)

Then you see those same Christians post in threads like this...  
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:19:12 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I started really believing in God when I prayed for a reason to keep on living, didn’t get one, and then my 1911 went Click instead of Bang against the side of my head, twice.

I’ve not been the best Christian, but I keep trying.
View Quote

there is no 'BEST' only forgiven, That is enough, theres no grading system. Dont fall into that trap
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:19:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't think that you even know what God's plan is for anyone. You sound for the lack of a better word, uninformed to me. It seems as if your emotional base is still working fine though.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:20:35 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

And implicit in your analysis is the hubris that you actually think that you know what God's plan is, and actually have a better one.
View Quote

Yeah see this is the kinda stuff that turns me off. We are nothing but ants on a speck of rock that was suitable for sustaining life. Unfortunatly we are self conscious to a fault it seems.

Christian religion is good IMO for building moral value in people though so I'll give it that. Some people are incapable of values and kindness on their own.

No one will ever change my mind though that once it's lights out it's over.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I'd like to add that if you wanted me to buy into Christianity of any sort probably shouldn't have made all the fun shit a sin.  At the very least make it clear that this life is a test and you can fuck sluts all day on cocaine in heaven and eat some LSD with jeebus every now and then.   As it stands I'll take my chances that the real party is at Lucifer's place and kim jung God is a dictatorship where you'll slave away on your knees in heaven.

What kind of fuckface leader will throw you in a lake of fire because you didn't worship him?  The kind I rebel against.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:23:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

WRONG, they use rationality for their evil and genocide. Rationality without Gods love and compassion leads to the killing fields, the gas chamber the gulag....EVERYTIME
View Quote

No you are wrong.  They are 'rationalizing' which is nothing but sophistry to push their goals.  Just like most religions.  

If you believe that second sentence you are as uneducated and foolish as Liberals are. You are just stating a shibboleth that has been inculcated since birth into your mind and you scream it like Liberals scream their false slogans.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:24:31 PM EDT
[#13]
The last few years.  I’ve seen people hurt good people and go on with life with no concerns or repercussions, while the other person suffers.

I see what people do to other people and animals.  Humans are vile.

These days, I feel if there is a God, why doesn’t he at least step in sometimes. He did in the OT.  Why not for us, or those innocent children and animals harmed?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:25:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

As Ozzy Osbourne once said

"If we're all going to hell, we're going to have a fucking good time man"
View Quote

That is cute but really screwed up thinking unless you think eternal torment is exciting. Imagine drinking all the beer you want and it will always taste like pig swill. I wouldn't call that a party. Ozzy turned his brain to crap and you think he's wise?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:26:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

That is silly. You blame God for the behavior of some sicko? What makes you think God is at fault? That little boy is in heaven with the Father. He has a new body and has no pain or disfigurement. The sicko is in hell with Satan. The penalty for sin is death. He sent his Son to pay the price for our sins. What more do you want? God isn't to blame, man is.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think I may have posted this before, but the "do you believe in spirits" etc. thread got me thinking again.  What was the turning point for you to renounce religion?

Myself?  My daughter was 2, our second was on the way, and locally some sick fucks locked a 3 year old in a dog crate and starved/tortured him to death.  At that point I decided that if there was a god, he was a fucking douche bag.  It hit me hard, I don't know why, but I sobbed when I read what happened to that little boy.  I'd rather burn in hell than be associated with a "god" that allows such acts to happen.

That is silly. You blame God for the behavior of some sicko? What makes you think God is at fault? That little boy is in heaven with the Father. He has a new body and has no pain or disfigurement. The sicko is in hell with Satan. The penalty for sin is death. He sent his Son to pay the price for our sins. What more do you want? God isn't to blame, man is.

That little boy was one of god's children right?  One of god's children when he was locked in a crate?  Starved?  Beaten?  Abused?  Raped?

But at least he got a cool fairy tale afterwards, right?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:26:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Yeah see this is the kinda stuff that turns me off. We are nothing but ants on a speck of rock that was suitable for sustaining life. Unfortunatly we are self conscious to a fault it seems.

Christian religion is good IMO for building moral value in people though so I'll give it that. Some people are incapable of values and kindness on their own.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

People basically do what they want to do. If they have the freedom to do these things on their own in the first place. You are self conscious at this time because God allows you to be this exact way for a very important purpose. Do you know why that is? You don't seem unintelligent to me.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:27:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

No you are wrong.  They are 'rationalizing' which is nothing but sophistry to push their goals.  Just like most religions.  

If you believe that second sentence you are as uneducated and foolish as Liberals are. You are just stating a shibboleth that has been inculcated since birth into your mind and you scream it like Liberals scream their false slogans.
View Quote
Attacking and insulting him is surely the path that God would like his followers to take.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:27:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sidestepping the thread subject, sort of...

Imho, we are different enough from every other animal on this dirt ball that my pragmatic, logical, reasoning self believes that "something" must have happened.

I have no idea what that may have been. Extra dimensional being? God? Aliens?

There has to be more to it than a dirt nap.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#20]
never stopped believing in a higher being, but I was probably only about 10 or so when I stopped believing in organized religion.

Sitting in Sunday school class and they told us about Jonah and the Whale.

At that point I realized it was all baloney.  Even that young, I couldn't understand how anyone could be so ignorant as to believe that was possible.  Then I started to ask, "so if this part is malarkey, what else are they telling me that isn't true".

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:29:53 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'd like to add that if you wanted me to buy into Christianity of any sort probably shouldn't have made all the fun shit a sin.  At the very least make it clear that this life is a test and you can fuck sluts all day on cocaine in heaven and eat some LSD with jeebus every now and then.   As it stands I'll take my chances that the real party is at Lucifer's place and kim jung God is a dictatorship where you'll slave away on your knees in heaven.

What kind of fuckface leader will throw you in a lake of fire because you didn't worship him?  The kind I rebel against.
View Quote

Hell is eternity without God.

Being as God is in everything good, and evil is defined as an absence of good, hell would be by definition severely lacking in goodness.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:30:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

I doubt i will change your mind as I have vast experience w my family and these types of arguments but here goes

1 If someone says I love you, i made you, come to my everlasting party filled with love and you say f you over and over despite repeated invitations is that His fault if he gives you what you asked for? Hell?

2. Sinfulness is false fun. It masks pain, such as when people get drunk high or have addictions, it feels fun but leaves you worse off.

3. Lastly, Satan will have you on your knees in unending pain while he laughs at you for being so stupid as to willingly choose hell.

Good Luck
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:30:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup.

And now that 3-year-old is living a wonderful existence in the Father's kingdom.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

God didn't do that OP. The sick fucks did.

Yup.

Its all part of gods plan right? One 3 year gets to die and go to this kingdom and have a wonderful existence, another 3 year old' existence is living in a dog cage and is starved to death, another 3 year old has cancer and suffers horribly, another 3 year old has ### and replace ### with whatever

What exactly is this great plan that everyone says God has that chooses one child over another to have a existence worse or better than another.

If god can make good out of anything therein lies the point I believe others are making - where is all this good????

ETA - forgot my last thought in that vein - its all will right, a humans will - or luck in life, the spin of the roulette wheel? Then if thats teh case when does god's plan take over in any of this as its always brought out, it was gods plan... and the always coming you cannot have good without evil, dark without light. Ying to the yang
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:32:26 PM EDT
[#24]
Walked away from the pedo church (Catholic) years ago but I still believe in God.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:32:52 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View Quote

lol as a history student of nazism, communism and totalitarianism. I am hardly foolish to their ways, methods and ideologies. They ensnare people who think their system will bring forth a "new man" and it always ends the same. You must have missed my post i was brought up as atheist...
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:33:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

People basically do what they want to do. If they have the freedom to do these things on their own in the first place. You are self conscious at this time because God allows you to be this exact way for a very important purpose. Do you know why that is? You don't seem unintelligent to me.
View Quote

I don't buy it. There are other animals on this planet that are also self aware. Orcas and Chimpanzees for example.  It just boils down to how everything evolved. We as humans just won the evolutionary intelligence race.

Christians are good people though I just wasn't raised as one.  Its impossible to believe if you aren't raised in that manner from a young age.  You are here trying to make a point because of your upbringing and thus your beliefs. I'm sure you are a good man though as most Christians so ....no offense to you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:34:46 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

If you're saying that God decided to give a little kid cancer and take them to heaven, then congrats on being the first person I've ever talked to that laid that accountability at his feet.  Normally there is nothing but deflection and mystery.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
God gives us free will, and He gives us choices to make. Some people choose to be horrible. That is their doing, not God.

How does that fit with little kids getting cancer?  Does that fall under the "God works in mysterious ways" or "It must be the devil"?

There is plenty of room for mystery and Uncertainties/Unknowns in my faith.

In its essence, I have learned to be very careful about accusing God and assuming that I knew more than I actually did.

It was not always this way.  I lived for years with the undeniable knowledge that God existed, but had come to believe (incorrectly) that He was an asshole.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:36:03 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I have not stopped believing in God or His Son Jesus Christ……… through good and bad I still have faith in Him
View Quote

This for me.  No doubts.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:37:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hopefully you're wrong--but it wouldn't surprise me if you weren't.  Nada y nada pues nada is a powerful illusion.

Reality may assert itself, though, at the moment of your death.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:38:52 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:  I'd rather burn in hell than be associated with a "god" that allows such acts to happen.
View Quote

Be careful what you wish for OP.

I’ve never stopped believing in a higher being. If for no other reason that being a higher or superior being compared to mankind would be a very low bar to surpass.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:40:27 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think I may have posted this before, but the "do you believe in spirits" etc. thread got me thinking again.  What was the turning point for you to renounce religion?

Myself?  My daughter was 2, our second was on the way, and locally some sick fucks locked a 3 year old in a dog crate and starved/tortured him to death.  At that point I decided that if there was a god, he was a fucking douche bag.  It hit me hard, I don't know why, but I sobbed when I read what happened to that little boy.  I'd rather burn in hell than be associated with a "god" that allows such acts to happen.
View Quote

When I read the Bible.

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:42:34 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I'd rather burn in hell than be associated with a "god" that allows such acts to happen.
View Quote

You'll will get your wish.

I'll pray that you change your mind.

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:42:46 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Its all part of gods plan right? One 3 year gets to die and go to this kingdom and have a wonderful existence, another 3 year old' existence is living in a dog cage and is starved to death, another 3 year old has cancer and suffers horribly, another 3 year old has ### and replace ### with whatever

What exactly is this great plan that everyone says God has that chooses one child over another to have a existence worse or better than another.

If god can make good out of anything therein lies the point I believe others are making - where is all this good????

ETA - forgot my last thought in that vein - its all will right, a humans will - or luck in life, the spin of the roulette wheel? Then if thats teh case when does god's plan take over in any of this as its always brought out, it was gods plan... and the always coming you cannot have good without evil, dark without light. Ying to the yang
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

God didn't do that OP. The sick fucks did.

Yup.

Again, just putting this out for the discussion and not a belief or explanation.

Imagine there being an existence so great, magnificent, perfect (something we can't possible imagine much less describe) that it makes the difference between the best, longest life on Earth indistinguishable from the most horrific experience.

Imagine two ants, under your shoe, arguing who is the strongest between them.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:43:27 PM EDT
[#34]
12. But I do believe is what religious people would call spirits/angels/demons or whatever.
Humans are largely incapable of accepting there are things we are incapable of understanding.
The unknow scares simple minded people so they invent myths and fantasies so they can sleep at night.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:43:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I respect everyone’s views but religion is the biggest scam man has come up with.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:44:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I was never a big believer but there was a turning point for me especially for religion.

When I got married my bride to be was not Catholic but I was.  I am confirmed, went through CCD etc.  My parents wished for us to be married in a Catholic church and my wife to be agreed to see about what needed to be done to make that happen.  We went to a local church and the priest said that no actual "conversion" was needed for her. We just needed to show up to mass on Sundays between then and the wedding date, then he would marry us.

So we did, for 2 years.  About a week before the wedding in one of the final meetings with the priest, I have no idea why, but he mentioned that instead of attending church, the church would have accepted a 1 time lump sum donation of money.  That would have also served to get us married.

We still got married in that church because it's what my dad wanted to see, but I decided I was done with religion.
View Quote

Interesting that neither you nor the priest mentioned God during any of those exchanges...
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:44:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

My favorite part of that belief system is that that boys torturers get to go to heaven if they repent and accept Jesus.

I, on the other hand, despite living a very good and charitable life gets to spend eternity in hell for the finite and petty crime of not believing on faith alone.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:45:00 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
That's some SERIOUSLY simplistic logic there OP.
View Quote

I'm inclined to agree. OP seems to have deep underlying issues that he's not putting out there.

I do hope that OP can get over those issues and return to God's grace. Atheism is all too common nowadays, a tool of political forces in our country that seek to eliminate moral rigidity and induce criminality in others.

Blaming the death of a three-year old on God instead of the demons who perpetrated it is absolutely nonsensical. Murder is an extreme consequence of free will, and in a godless society where individuals are judged by their ability to fit into an assimilationist system where individuality is punished, morality is a second-class ideal.

Faith is meant to be tested, OP. Nobody knows why God allows these things to happen. I hope you find your way back. God Bless.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Never. I hope you find your way back one day brother.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Interesting that neither you nor the priest mentioned God during any of those exchanges...
View Quote
Probably is.  Like I said, I got married in a Catholic church because it made my Dad happy and wanted him to be happy (not to mention that he paid for the reception hall rental).  I was never a big believer myself.  I can't speak for the priest.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:47:14 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I don't buy it. There are other animals on this planet that are also self aware. Orcas and Chimpanzees for example.  It just boils down to how everything evolved. We as humans just won the evolutionary intelligence race.

Christians are good people though I just wasn't raised as one.  Its impossible to believe if you aren't raised in that manner from a young age.  You are here trying to make a point because of your upbringing and thus your beliefs. I'm sure you are a good man though as most Christians so ....no offense to you.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No offense to you either but it seems to me that your ideas about the creative effects of God and how this relates to you specifically are all over the place. Again, no offense intended but we are just humans. You can only focus basically on one issue at a time. We shouldn't be comparing the creation to its creator or in any way at all unless we begin to look at the likeness. The likeness between you and God is initially when you look in the mirror. Don't see God? Well that's alright because He sees you. Constantly. Did you know when some people fully realize this that they are compelled to take their own lives? Why is that? Because they want to be in covenant with God? No, because they want to continue to rebel and into eternity if necessary in their very narrow way of thinking. And God will let them even unto an untimely death by their own hand. So, is this God's fault again?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:48:20 PM EDT
[#42]
At birth?

My folks raised me without religion so I was never taught to believe in a higher being (other than Santa!).

Now as a Buddhist I am an atheist.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:49:30 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Again, just putting this out for the discussion and not a belief or explanation.

Imagine there being an existence so great, magnificent, perfect (something we can't possible imagine much less describe) that it makes the difference between the best, longest life on Earth indistinguishable from the most horrific experience.

Imagine two ants, under your shoe, arguing who is the strongest between them.
View Quote

One can imagine damn near anything, just look at the fantastic library of human fiction and non-fiction.  Now point out some evidence that such an existence is even possible.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

My favorite part of that belief system is that that boys torturers get to go to heaven if they repent and accept Jesus.

I, on the other hand, despite living a very good and charitable life gets to spend eternity in hell for the finite and petty crime of not believing on faith alone.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So they repented of their evil, and begged for God's forgiveness, but you died in your self-righteous pride?

They see themselves clearly and repent--yet you remain captured by your self-righteous rebellion?

Where is the mystery?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:51:21 PM EDT
[#45]
The devil has achieved success in deceiving you.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:52:03 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

So they repented of their evil, and begged for God's forgiveness, but you died in your self-righteous pride?

Where is the mystery?
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:53:24 PM EDT
[#47]
I'd just like to point out that the question of the existence of a higher being is not necessarily the same question as "Does the Bible, Koran, etc." explain the nature of God.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Where is the mystery?

You seem to have an unexamined assumption that you are somehow holy and good, and can stand before God blameless.

How accurate do you believe that assumption is?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:55:48 PM EDT
[#49]
I came about it from the other direction.

As a teenager, I was convinced there was no God.  By the time I was married, I knew there was a God, and what he expected from me.

I am a poor ambassador of God's eternal word, but I've spent my life trying to share the good news with others.  I'll be dead soon, the clock of man is wound but one time and my springs are sprung, but it matters not if I hear the words "Well done, my good and faithful servant." on the day of days.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 1:55:53 PM EDT
[#50]
To argue the opposite, how can you be outside in nature and think "This is totally random."?

Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top