Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

CBDC
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
What makes you think they’ll take away cash?

CBDC

Yep.  CBDC is a near certainty.  The only question is how long it will take which is very unclear.  Might take 50 years, might not.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:46:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Cash.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 9:57:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Pureblood
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:00:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Souls
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:00:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Bartering and trading.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:04:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Yep.  CBDC is a near certainty.  The only question is how long it will take which is very unclear.  Might take 50 years, might not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CBDC

1-3 years in the US.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:10:07 AM EDT
[#7]
The ability of petty government employees to do "favors" for people.  The one type of corruption that is most evident in all broken societies.

GD thinks police abuse their power in the USA today.   You guys haven't seen shit.  Just wait until we go full corrupt 3rd world.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:15:12 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1-3 years in the US.
View Quote

I could see introduction in a few years. I don't forsee complete cash and banking replacement on a short timeline like that.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:37:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I could see introduction in a few years. I don't forsee complete cash and banking replacement on a short timeline like that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

1-3 years in the US.

Even Thailand is cutting cash by 50% by 2026.  And cutting out reconverting to USD.  The entire world is racing to get this done.
https://aseannow.com/topic/1277913-bank-of-thailand-moves-against-cash-and-the-us-dollar-in-a-plan-to-reduce-cash-in-half-by-2026/
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:37:45 AM EDT
[#10]
Tiddies
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:41:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Goods and services like every other black market.
View Quote

Just like it was in the Laura Ingalls Wilder books. One guy that is good at hunting kills a few deer, and takes them to the guy that is good at butchering, who dresses the meat for a share of it. You might be good at working on cars, and you need help fixing your ICE car that nobody works on anymore because electric is the new hotness, but it's a wiring issue and you don't know beans for wiring. I need help replacing [insert engine component here] that I don't know how to do or I don't have the tools for, but I know how to wring out and repair wiring, so we work a deal: you help me with my car, I help you with yours.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:42:16 AM EDT
[#12]
How do I pay for hookers and blow? How do I tip at the strip club?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

You use your CBDC to buy "tokens" that the club supplies. Or, every dancer has a chip reader surgically implanted, so all you do is slap her ass and it transfers a dollar.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:51:15 AM EDT
[#14]
Food, water.
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 10:51:19 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

You use your CBDC to buy "tokens" that the club supplies. Or, every dancer has a chip reader surgically implanted, so all you do is slap her ass and it transfers a dollar.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

what happens when a token gets stuck in the coin slot?
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:31:24 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CBDC

The other question is how will they roll it out? Will they boil the frog slowly(if that's possible)?

Either way, they aren't infallible omnipotent gods

[Gulag Archipelago Man quote]
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:33:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Very cyberpunk

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 12:48:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

The other question is how will they roll it out? Will they boil the frog slowly(if that's possible)?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CBDC

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?… The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin’s thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If…if…We didn’t love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation…. We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
Aleksandr I. Solzhenitsyn , The Gulag Archipelago 1918–1956
Link Posted: 11/27/2022 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Trading stuff for stuff.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 10:59:45 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:06:32 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
The 3 B's: Booze, Beans & Bullets.
View Quote

And Labor.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 12:18:54 PM EDT
[#22]
View Quote

Yup.  Everyone's precious stimmy money will come with a contract to spend or lose it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Yup.  Everyone's precious stimmy money will come with a contract to spend or lose it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

One possible way around it would be to buy gift cards for the stores that you shop at, or maybe transfer it to your RobinHood account... although I could foresee them limiting what kinds of transactions you use them on.

It's a little scary, and this may sound tinfoil hat time, but I could see in 5-10 years savings being a thing of the past, with the only "retirement savings" being allowed is .gov run 401Ks and the like.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:14:04 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

One possible way around it would be to buy gift cards for the stores that you shop at, or maybe transfer it to your RobinHood account... although I could foresee them limiting what kinds of transactions you use them on.

It's a little scary, and this may sound tinfoil hat time, but I could see in 5-10 years savings being a thing of the past, with the only "retirement savings" being allowed is .gov run 401Ks and the like.
View Quote

Politicians have been talking about taking over savings and retirement accounts for years, to "protect people from themselves, and ensure they have funds for retirement" since the rubes just aren't sophisticated enough to manage their own investments.

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:22:12 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
For real... Gold in small denominations and Silver rounds, along with bulk silver coinage... there is a reason that the PM physical silver and gold markets are well above spot price, and have been for a long time. People buying means of trade other than goods and services when the world currency market goes digital, and these same people buying the physical PMs are the same ones who thought the whole idea of digital currency was a farce to begin with...
View Quote

Until the government raids your house for your gold and silver like the Nazis did.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
You’re obviously going to go take your gold and silver down to the local town square to barter with.
View Quote

nah, everyone is going to bitcoin dontcha know

yep, a horrible slow, overly expensive, complex way of paying which requires internet connections is going to be the go to survival barter  
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:34:17 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CBDC

That's a great question but I agree that it will probably be a slow introduction.  I don't see any reason why it necessarily has to be like flipping a switch and cash suddenly becoming useless.

It's far more likely that they'll introduce it and it'll represent some percentage of the money supply with banks acting as an on ramp / off ramp between traditional cash.  From there, they can slowly deprecate uses of traditional cash until it's just gone entirely.  

Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:40:40 PM EDT
[#28]
Wasn’t that long ago in the US, a live chicken could get you a piece of ass for a bit.

“As the Depression lingered, the number of customers dwindled and Williams had difficulty making ends meet for her employees. She implemented the "poultry standard", and charged one live chicken for each sexual act. The number of chickens at the brothel exploded, and soon the place became known as the Chicken Ranch. Williams supplemented her income by selling surplus chickens and eggs.”
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:52:52 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

That's a great question but I agree that it will probably be a slow introduction.  I don't see any reason why it necessarily has to be like flipping a switch and cash suddenly becoming useless.

It's far more likely that they'll introduce it and it'll represent some percentage of the money supply with banks acting as an on ramp / off ramp between traditional cash.  From there, they can slowly deprecate uses of traditional cash until it's just gone entirely.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CBDC

Attachment Attached File

The federal government forced citizens and corporations to hand over all their gold coins and bullion in exchange for paper money at vastly undervalued rates in 1933. This was after the president illegally closed banks for a number of days to prevent citizens from withdrawing their money. Americans were told they must accept as money whatever the government told them to accept, and at whatever rate they were told to accept it. Requiring gold as payment was outlawed, as was private gold ownership. It happened before and can happen again.

Biden will likely make an announcement on a Friday evening, informing the public that the faith and credit of the United States may not be questioned (and other platitudes), and that the dollar will be converted at 12 to 1 to a federal reserve digital currency. We will be told all cash must be converted by end of week or it will become worthless. You know many will embrace this betrayal, this unconstitutional theft of our earnings.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 3:58:00 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/491499/6B59D17B-2186-4788-BF4B-6F216BA5CFE9_jpe-2618023.JPG

The federal government forced citizens and corporations to hand over all their gold coins and bullion in exchange for paper money at vastly undervalued rates in 1933. This was after the president illegally closed banks for a number of days to prevent citizens from withdrawing their money. Americans were told they must accept as money whatever the government told them to accept, and at whatever rate they were told to accept it. Requiring gold as payment was outlawed, as was private gold ownership. It happened before and can happen again.

Biden will likely make an announcement on a Friday evening, informing the public that the faith and credit of the United States may not be questioned (and other platitudes), and that the dollar will be converted at 12 to 1 to a federal reserve digital currency. We will be told all cash must be converted by end of week or it will become worthless. You know many will embrace this betrayal, this unconstitutional theft of our earnings.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CBDC

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/491499/6B59D17B-2186-4788-BF4B-6F216BA5CFE9_jpe-2618023.JPG

I'm not saying they can't.  I'm just saying I don't see any reason why they would need to.

The politically expedient way to do it is right under people's noses while they aren't paying attention.  Get people used to it, and then lock the gate behind them once they are in.

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:18:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Bottle caps!
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:24:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote

The digital dollar is already being trialed by the federal reserve with the big banks.

https://www.investopedia.com/ny-fed-works-on-cbdc-6829573

China, India and others are all in various stages of testing their own versions.

Its ultimately about control.  They can see how every individual is spending their money and feed that information into the ESG system they are pushing out right now.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:26:42 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
People will mostly trade in the central government currency but they'll lie about what was bought and sold.

Some people will trade various crypto currencies like BTC and Monero.

People will barter more.
View Quote

I'm betting on crypto and PMs.

My fail safe is a bunch of tools and the skills to barter repair and construction work.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:31:05 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Even Thailand is cutting cash by 50% by 2026.  And cutting out reconverting to USD.  The entire world is racing to get this done.
https://aseannow.com/topic/1277913-bank-of-thailand-moves-against-cash-and-the-us-dollar-in-a-plan-to-reduce-cash-in-half-by-2026/
View Quote

Its already underway here.

Just look at how many places are limiting cash transactions by only having a couple registers capable of dispensing cash or change.  This was one of the things I noticed early in covid.  They covered it by claiming a national coin shortage, and it hasnt really ended.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:34:33 AM EDT
[#35]
If we save up enough bullets to trade, we can get rid of the tyrants.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:51:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Go!
View Quote

Whatever the guy / gal that works with the local trading collective prints up for usage.

Go look up how some people in south america handled the collapse of government monopoly currencies.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:57:23 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

CBDC

They did this for silver too, just not with an EO.

I have also heard people saying they're going to devalue the physical currency and not the CBDC to try and sucker people into using it.

Gold and silver and etc ... they have no intrinsic value. Never have, never will; nothing does. Things only have the people bartering agree they have.

I am not saying don't have gold or silver, but they aren't a magic wand.

Be useful and have good friends with a shared worldview. That is the closest you will ever get to having any stability in backwards times, and even that is no guarantee.

CBDC's + government monopolies on what is legal currency = demonic.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:59:52 AM EDT
[#38]
BTW, things happen slowly. Until they happen instantly.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-india-37974423

Why India wiped out 86% of its cash overnight

Published

14 November 2016

An Indian resident holds 500 and 1000 Rupee notesImage source, PRAKASH SINGH/AFP/Getty Images
By Justin Rowlatt
South Asia correspondent

India is in the middle of an extraordinary economic experiment.

On 8 November, Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave only four hours' notice that virtually all the cash in the world's seventh-largest economy would be effectively worthless.

The Indian government likes to use the technical term "demonetisation" to describe the move, which makes it sound rather dull. It isn't. This is the economic equivalent of "shock and awe".

India raises withdrawal limit as rupee anger mounts
   India rupee ban: Currency move is 'bad economics'
   Can India's currency ban really curb the black economy?

Do not believe reports that this is primarily about bribery or terror financing, the real target is tax evasion and the policy is very daring indeed.

You can see the effects outside every bank in the country. I am in Tamil Nadu in the south of India and here, as in every other state in the country, queues of people clutching wads of currency stretch halfway down the street.
Indian people queue outside a bank as they wait to deposit and exchange 500 and 1000 Rupee notes in AmritsarImage source, NARINDER NANU/AFP/Getty Images
Image caption,
Long queues of people wanting to exchange the old notes have formed across India

Mr Modi's "shock and awe" declaration meant that 1,000 and 500 rupee notes would no longer be valid.

These may be the largest denomination Indian notes but they are not high value by international standards - 1,000 rupees is only £12. But together the two notes represent 86% of the currency in circulation.

Think of that, at a stroke 86% of the cash in India now cannot be used.

What is more, India is overwhelmingly a cash economy, with 90% of all transactions taking place that way.

And that is the target of Mr Modi's dramatic move. Because so much business is done in cash, very few people pay tax on the money they earn.

According to figures published by the government earlier this year, in 2013 only 1% of the population paid any income tax at all.

As a result huge numbers of Indians have stashes of tax-free cash hidden away - known here as "black money".

Even the very poorest Indians have some cash savings - maybe just a few thousand rupees stored away for a daughter's wedding, the kids' school fees or - heaven forbid - an illness in the family.
India's Prime Minister Narendra ModiImage source, Dennis Brack-Pool/Getty Images
Image caption,
India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi gave only four hours' notice of the move

But lots of Indians have much more than that.

It is not unusual for half the value of a property transaction to be paid in cash, with buyers turning up with suitcases full of 1,000 rupee notes.

The size of this shadow economy is reckoned to be as much as 20% of India's entire GDP.

Mr Modi's demonetisation is designed to drive black money out of the shadows.

At the moment you can exchange up to 4,500 (£48) of the old rupees in cash for new 500 (£6) and 2,000 (£24) rupee notes.

There is no limit to the amount that can be deposited in bank accounts until the end of December, but the government has warned that the tax authorities will be investigating any deposits above 250,000 rupees (£2,962).

Breach that limit and you will be asked to prove that you have paid tax. If you cannot, you will be charged the full amount owed, plus a fine of 200% of the tax owed. For many people that could amount to be pretty much the full value of their hidden cash.

This is brave politics. Some of the hardest hit will be the small business people and traders who are Mr Modi's core constituency. They voted for him because they believed he was the best bet to grow the economy and improve their lot. They will not be happy if he destroys their savings.
A notice regarding discontinued 500 and 1,000 rupee notes is posted at the entrance of a restaurant in MumbaiImage source, PUNIT PARANJPE/AFP/Getty Images
Image caption,
Businesses will no longer take 500 and 1,000 rupee notes

Mr Modi says he is simply delivering on his pre-election promise to tackle corruption and tax evasion.

He says he warned that he would squeeze black money out of the system and had already offered amnesties to those who declared their black money holdings.

And, so far at least, the policy seems to be popular, in spite of the long queues and the fact that much day-to-day business in India has ground to a juddering halt.

Most Indians resent the fact that many of the richest among them have used black money to evade paying their fair share of tax and are happy to suffer a few weeks of what Mr Modi called "temporary hardships" to see them face justice.

They also recognise the benefits of drawing more people into the income tax net.

India has very low rates of tax compared to many other countries. The tax-to-GDP ratio - how much tax is raised as a proportion of the output of the economy - was 17% in 2013.

The average across the economies of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development - a club of mostly rich nations - was over 34%.

Demonetisation is part of a wider project to draw Indians into the formal economy and to get them to start paying the tax they owe.
An Indian bank employee looks at deposited old denomination 1000 Rupee currency notes in a bank vault in AhmedabadImage source, SAM PANTHAKY/AFP/Getty Images
Image caption,
There is no limit to the amount of old notes that people can deposit in bank accounts until the end of December

Curbing tax evasion is part of the agenda for the "aadhaar" scheme, a giant digital database designed to give hundreds of millions of Indians a unique ID, and of the new Goods and Services tax.

And reducing tax evasion can only be good for India. The more money it raises in tax, the more it has to spend on useful stuff like roads, hospitals and schools.

The more the country spends on public goods like that, the faster the Indian economy is likely to grow - or so the argument goes.

So the big question is: will it work?

Some economists have questioned the decision to introduce the 2,000 rupee note. They say if the policy is designed to force people into the banking system why issue a higher denomination note - presumably an even more convenient vehicle for black money transactions?

But the headlines about chaos and confusion are a bit misleading.

There have been virtually no reports of violence despite the huge disruption this policy has caused.
Samples of the new 500 and 2,000 rupee notes are displayed at the Reserve Bank of India headquarters in MumbaiImage source, PUNIT PARANJPE/AFP/Getty Images
Image caption,
The new 500 and 2,000 rupee notes are in short supply and banks regularly run out of them

The queues are orderly and the worst you hear are the irritated mutterings of those whose days have been wasted standing in line.

But Mr Modi needs to be careful. The new notes are in short supply and there are not enough smaller denomination notes to go around, so the banks regularly run out of cash.

That cannot go on for long without irritation turning to anger.

But some queuing may be excusable, because in one regard the policy has already been a complete success: it came as a surprise to the entire country.

Think what that means. The government managed to plan this audacious policy, printing billions of new notes without anyone letting slip what was happening.

Reportedly, even senior members of the cabinet were not told what was being planned, for fear that if word got out the entire policy would be undermined. The hoarders would have time to empty their mattresses and launder their stashes into gold or other assets.

Keeping a secret of this magnitude in India, a country that thrives on rumour and gossip, is nothing short of a triumph and surely a reasonable justification for a few hiccups along the way.
View Quote

I remember reading at the time that people died because of this.

They did this KNOWING lots of families over there kept a lot of their value at home in the form of cash.

They intentionally bankrupted and destroyed people.

Our government is no better. Maybe worse.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:16:40 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I'm betting on crypto and PMs.

My fail safe is a bunch of tools and the skills to barter repair and construction work.
View Quote

Crypto would be great, but the Congress is going to regulate them to death using FTX as their excuse.

They can't have a competitor to their CBDC.

They cannot countenance a monetary system they cannot control, especially when CBDC lets them determine value, set expiration dates, approve or deny transactions, track EVERYTHING, apply a negative interest rate to induce spending and discourage saving, etc.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:20:23 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
(Snip)

Be useful and have good friends with a shared worldview. That is the closest you will ever get to having any stability in backwards times, and even that is no guarantee.
View Quote

There it is.  Have a necessary skill.  And means to defend yourself, your loved ones, and your possessions.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:21:49 AM EDT
[#41]
Anger, retribution, and hellfire.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 11:24:20 AM EDT
[#42]
Ammo is not for barter... never give somebody the means to harm you and take what else you have.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 12:16:54 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
For real... Gold in small denominations and Silver rounds, along with bulk silver coinage... there is a reason that the PM physical silver and gold markets are well above spot price, and have been for a long time. People buying means of trade other than goods and services when the world currency market goes digital, and these same people buying the physical PMs are the same ones who thought the whole idea of digital currency was a farce to begin with...
View Quote

People use pms and jewels for currency basically forever.   You don't need a minted coin to weigh an ounce of silver, just a simple scale.

The farce of digital currency is playing out before our eyes with the ftx debacle.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 1:18:39 PM EDT
[#44]

A friend just posted this in another thread and reminded me what a good overview she gave on digital ID, vax passports as the gateway, CBDC, gold and physical assets
, etc.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 3:40:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Also, random thought:

Cigarette lighters and vodka.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:08:16 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

They’re telling us they will.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 7:36:41 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The G20 and the W.H.O. are jizzing in their pants at the thought of cashless society.

Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:07:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Teeth. Like Orks.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:08:53 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Pussy.
View Quote

Poon has been fungible forever.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 8:10:46 AM EDT
[#50]
You are missing some from Maine
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top