Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:06:51 PM EDT
[#1]
You should have to get your ass and back beat with a shillelagh like we did back in the pre-PC Navy days, ya slimy wog!
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:09:49 PM EDT
[#2]
First time I crossed the equator was in an airplane, kind of anticlimactic, no ceremony or anything.

The next day I crossed it like 50 times.  I bought a beer back at the hotel bar later.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:15:11 PM EDT
[#3]
UNITAS Cruise aboard the Farragut DLG-6 in 1972. Crossed the equator twice, southbound on the Atlantic side and was initiated and northbound on the Pacific side where I helped initiate newbies.

Fun times.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:20:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I can't speak for everyone but when I crossed flying Southwest they made it such a memorable experience. The attendants were telling joke after joke ("equator I hardly knew her!"). I laughed so hard my gin and tonic nearly came out my nose. :)))))))
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:23:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I’m hoping to go on a trip in the fall and I would be crossing the equator.  On a plane how is the ceremony done?

I just want to prepare my self or is the ceremony only for seamen?
View Quote

The pilot is supposed to jack you off!
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:24:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I can't speak for everyone but when I crossed flying Southwest they made it such a memorable experience. The attendants were telling joke after joke ("equator I hardly knew her!"). I laughed so hard my gin and tonic nearly came out my nose. :)))))))
View Quote

Where did you go on Southwest, that required crossing the equator?  I believe Costa Rica is as far south as they go.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:25:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Where did you go on Southwest, that required crossing the equator?  I believe Costa Rica is as far south as they go.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No where lol. This was meant to be an obviously fake story in response to OPs silly question
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:30:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You step outside and grab some fresh air
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:31:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Submarines don’t celebrate it. They don’t know.

JK I have no idea if subs even care.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:36:37 PM EDT
[#10]
I dunno.  BUT

My Grandfather was flying for business back in the 50's or 60's.  He was using the lavatory when the plane encountered some turbulence and hit his head pretty bad.  Bad enough they rerouted the plane to get him medical attention.  The re-route took them over the North Pole, so he had a certificate from the airline saying he had been over the North Pole.

Cool Story, right?

Something like this
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

The Order of the Ebony Shellback for maritime personnel who have crossed the Equator on Lake Victoria.
   The Emerald Shellback or Royal Diamond Shellback for maritime personnel who cross the Equator at the prime meridian.
   The Golden Shellback for maritime personnel who have crossed the point where the Equator crosses the 180th meridian.
   The Top Secret Shellback are for submariners who have crossed the equator at a classified degree of longitude.
   The Wooden Shellback for maritime personnel who have crossed the equator on a vessel with a wooden hull.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Line-crossing_ceremony

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I was asleep the first time. I don't think there was a ceremony. Virtually certain there wasn't one on the way back.

Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:08:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I dunno.  BUT

My Grandfather was flying for business back in the 50's or 60's.  He was using the lavatory when the plane encountered some turbulence and hit his head pretty bad.  Bad enough they rerouted the plane to get him medical attention.  The re-route took them over the North Pole, so he had a certificate from the airline saying he had been over the North Pole.

Cool Story, right?

Something like this
https://i.redd.it/shmuca555t301.jpg
View Quote

Almost as good as this:
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Is that from the Brady Bunch Grand Canyon vacation?
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:13:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Butt sex
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#16]
butt stuff
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Well, obviously in First Class, it is tradition that the hottest of the stewardesses does a strip tease, timed so that the last piece of clothing comes off EXACTLY when the plane crosses the equator. The oldest passenger gets to keep the panties, and if it is your first time crossing the equator in first class, you get to drink champagne out of her pumps.

... but I didn't want the unwashed masses to feel bad, so I didn't mention it.  
View Quote

The experience is much better on KLM than United.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 3:49:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is that from the Brady Bunch Grand Canyon vacation?
View Quote

Nope.

Two parents, two kids.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:22:21 PM EDT
[#19]
I've never seen anything done on a plane.
Link Posted: 3/9/2021 4:44:56 PM EDT
[#20]
The pilot drops down below cloud cover so you can see the equator line as you cross it.  Then everybody gets a champagne toast.  
First class gets actual champagne glasses.  Everyone else has to drink out of paper cups.  

It glows in the dark for a night crossing.  It's not very bright, though.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top