Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In that case, why use a tube?

View Quote

Just so that I have a nice round pier sticking out of the ground and it matches the rest of the round piers.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
You are about to find out how well your forms are constructed.

View Quote

this
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:39:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
My plan was to use the tube, then pour concrete on the outside of the tube as opposed to backfilling with dirt.  Can I do that?

I know I'm overdoing it.  I can't help it.  I have OCD.  And I'll know I have a pretty tube under my house.
View Quote

Lol. You are your own worst enemy. Tube is dense cardboard and I wouldn't want to leave it under the house. I've seen termites follow them up. If you embed it, it won't come out. Pealing them off sucks on a good day when you can stand next to them. Under your house is going to suck and blow at the same time. I wouldn't make more work for yourself if you don't have to.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:40:18 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
For slabs we called it a juke. Two handles with expanded metal bottom.
Hard work juking, had to walk backwards and kick in your footprints as you go.
again for slab only.
View Quote

Or a tamp.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:49:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Old guy was the boss's dad and original owner of the company.  He was pushing 80 when I was in high school working.  I used to sit with him at lunch and learn, learn, learn.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I sometimes miss the old days of woking for the local masonry and concrete guys.  From 16-76, everybody on the job could enjoy the inevitable mom jokes that came out when the vibrator was needed.
I made what was probably the world's oldest working mason spit out his teeth when I sniffed the 'wand' and told the boss it smelled like his wife.

I've hear that one! ... Because I'm the boss.

Old guy was the boss's dad and original owner of the company.  He was pushing 80 when I was in high school working.  I used to sit with him at lunch and learn, learn, learn.

That's the best way to learn a trade. Follow the old guy around and soak up everything. I had the opportunity to work with some really great carpenters when I was young. Most of them have retired or have past on.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:56:17 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

No, but you can buy it on Ebay.

Not kidding. Free 4 day shipping, too!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ETA: His next thread will be "Can you really make chloroform with just acetone and chlorine bleach?"

No, but you can buy it on Ebay.

Not kidding. Free 4 day shipping, too!

lolwut?

Is that like a Shotgun News "buy full-auto parts kit" tarp?  Or is chloroform not outlawed?
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 9:58:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Also known as "The dick" in the concrete world.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:00:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Lol. You are your own worst enemy. Tube is dense cardboard and I wouldn't want to leave it under the house. I've seen termites follow them up. If you embed it, it won't come out. Pealing them off sucks on a good day when you can stand next to them. Under your house is going to suck and blow at the same time. I wouldn't make more work for yourself if you don't have to.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My plan was to use the tube, then pour concrete on the outside of the tube as opposed to backfilling with dirt.  Can I do that?

I know I'm overdoing it.  I can't help it.  I have OCD.  And I'll know I have a pretty tube under my house.

How about this.

I build a 2x6 form on grade, fill the entire hole with concrete, then just put and fill a 6-8" piece of sonotube on the top to make it look like a real pier?  
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:01:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Vibrator, crete vibe, jitterbug, heard them all. But a donkey dick is the long innertube on a funnel that attaches to truck chutes. Least that's what all the guys Ive worked with called it anyways.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:02:38 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's a tube you fill with cement for use as a pier under my house.

Kinda like this.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608045388222565744&pid=1.7

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
How much concrete are you pouring? A small pad 4x6, some posts, or something you might be able to get away with some MacGyver device. A drive way...yeah go pro.

It's a tube you fill with cement for use as a pier under my house.

Kinda like this.

http://ts1.mm.bing.net/th?id=HN.608045388222565744&pid=1.7

What happens when the tube form rots away?
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:04:26 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You honestly think he couldn't figure out its a vibrator?

I did not know what it's called.

I got it dug down 32" now from the bottom of the hole to the bottom of the beam.  Gonna pick up the sonotube today to see how much wider I have to make the hole.

http://www.bloodshotgamer.com/guns/pier2.JPG

I wouldn't get tube. Just square the bottom of the hole up a little, and throw a 2x6 form around the hole. You want the mud to fill the hole and touch all of the non disturbed soil (bottom and sides). This is what stabilizes the peir footing. If you put tube down into the hole, there is soil around the tube that it hasn't filled against. Build the form to be easily knocked apart to get out. Fill it up with mud and set a post base or throw a pier block on.

Using tube sucks. It's hard to brace up. Expensive. And no one will ever see your pretty tube. I definitely wouldn't bother vibrating an under house footing. For something that small, there is no real structural concern, and no one will ever see it. Most tubes I've set were full of engineered welded bar cages for structural support. The bar cages were 19" outside and the tube set were 24". If the piers were in front of the house and where you could see them, then I'd might use tube and the donkey dick.

Vibrators are for removing big voids in stem walls or tubes when they are full of bar that is blocking the mud from settling around it. This is a structural problem. I've seen a ton of forms come off where the vibrator was used and ther was still some honeycomb left. Tapping the forms sometimes works just as good for removing small honeycomb pockets.

What happens when the tube rots away?
You have a void between two concrete pours that can fill with water.
the concrete could also move laterally because there is nothing there holding it.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:11:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

How about this.

I build a 2x6 form on grade, fill the entire hole with concrete, then just put and fill a 6-8" piece of sonotube on the top to make it look like a real pier?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about this.

Yes to the above

there is a lot of mis-information here about the use and theory of using a concrete vibrator.
The vibrator is used to consolidate the concrete.
Especially useful if anything is embedded in the concrete like rebar.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:13:07 AM EDT
[#13]
I have the Harbor Freight vibrator.  When I priced the cost of concrete caps for brick columns I made, I was stunned.  Instead, I bought a mold and that vibrator.  Once I mixed a bag and poured it in, I ran the vibrator around the outside edge of the form.  It gave the cap a beautiful, smooth finish.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:16:00 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

How about this.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

How about this.

Brilliant!

But do whatever you like. Your house!

I did the same pier under my house years ago. Took out a wall and needed to suport the upstairs. Set a beam, cut the floor, and poured a little concrete. Doing it on a job right now too. Customer wanted a bigger opening in a kitchen, so we are opened up the floor and poured a footing.

Years ago, I used to take jobs no one else wanted. I would get these 100 year old houses that needed new foundations. The old brick foundations would be falling apart, and sinking. I'd hire a house mover to lift the house 6' in the air and we'd redo the foundations and set the house back down. Some of them were repaired in place. I'd brace up the house, rip half of the foundation out to replace, then repeat on the other side. A bunch would need to be re leveled because they had sunk into the ground. So I'd lift the back end of the house up 4" and drop the front 2" to relevel everything while pouring new stem walls and all new footings. Also lifting houses that were in flood plains. Some were only raised 2', while others were raised 10', and we'd put a garage under the house. I did that for years working on historic Victorian homes.
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:28:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It's for sonotube pours.

And thanks for the 10 vibrator answers above.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
are you doing sonotubes, formed footings or a slab?

footings you don't need anything, just a piece of rebar to agitate the mix so it will settle, same thing for grouting block

slabs you need a tamper, this knock the gravel down below the surface a bit

sonotubes or tough block grouting you need a vibrating probe, these things are so effective they will liquify a dry mix. We did about 20 x 6 foot tubes last summer and the probe worked great, only took about 10 seconds per tube

I think it cost me $40 to rent from Homey Depot for a day.

It's for sonotube pours.

And thanks for the 10 vibrator answers above.  

Save the 40 bucks , mix it a little looser and hit the sides of the tube with your hammer
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 10:41:49 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Is that like a Shotgun News "buy full-auto parts kit" tarp?  Or is chloroform not outlawed?
View Quote

No, it's legal.

It's used for other things beside anesthesia.

Also, the TV trope of "chloroform rag instantly knocking someone out" doesn't really work.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top