User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:21:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yep.  All the evidence points to people quitting shitty jobs and getting better ones, not quitting and living in mom's basement.
View Quote

Also women staying home to be mothers. I'm going to keep banging this drum until it gets through people's concrete skulls.

It has even gotten to the point where The Enemy has noticed and started screaming.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:24:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Then why hasn't the housing market crashed? If everyone is now cramming into one house, we should have a massive surplus of homes. But we don't. People are buying more homes than ever at higher prices than ever.

If we just went from 4 people each owning a car to 4 people now sharing a car, the used car market wouldn't be anywhere near as high as it is. But again, that's not the case.

Your theory would make sense (and would be my first guess too) if the markets reflected it. But they don't, they're the exact opposite.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I only care about the number of deaths above the number of expected deaths for the year. Then what percentage of those were “working aged adults?”

I understand more boomers retired due to strong market/ COVID mandates/ etc.

Bennies here have fallen back to previous levels, long ago.

I’ve been ‘work from home since pre COVID.’ Even work from home jobs are struggling to fill open recs.

I’ve been in the tech world, which has never been boomer heavy at any point, and everyone I know is scrambling to backfill positions.

It’s just all so strange.

It's awful hard to believe that there's some free money conspiracy that millions of people are taking advantage of but not telling anyone about.  

To me, this is the strangest thing that is going on in our country right now, and I can't even think of a crazy conspiracy theory that would explain it away.

GD always has the answer for everything (whether it's the right or wrong answer is debatable) but they always have a fucking answer. But for some reason, no one can figure this out.

There's no rocket science here. Living rent and utility free with multiple generations in a house is very cheap. When you don't buy a bunch of crap life is cheap. When you have 4 people sharing 1 car with no payment it's cheap. One average producer pays the mortgage and utilities. 3-5 other people live there.

Its not difficult to exist on 5k a year for people without billa. Benefits pay well over that.

Then why hasn't the housing market crashed? If everyone is now cramming into one house, we should have a massive surplus of homes. But we don't. People are buying more homes than ever at higher prices than ever.

If we just went from 4 people each owning a car to 4 people now sharing a car, the used car market wouldn't be anywhere near as high as it is. But again, that's not the case.

Your theory would make sense (and would be my first guess too) if the markets reflected it. But they don't, they're the exact opposite.

two reasons. First people leaving urban areas because of remote work, that's driving a lot of the LCOL places. HCOL places aren't up 300% like the places that were 50% under median cost are.

The next reason is building hasn't kept up with population growth. There's only so much land in good locations for real estate. As the population grows more people compete for the same resources driving cost up. The elephant in the room is immigration, millions and millions. Year after year. It adds up.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 2:39:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
two reasons. First people leaving urban areas because of remote work, that's driving a lot of the LCOL places. HCOL places aren't up 300% like the places that were 50% under median cost are.
The next reason is building hasn't kept up with population growth. There's only so much land in good locations for real estate. As the population grows more people compete for the same resources driving cost up. The elephant in the room is immigration, millions and millions. Year after year. It adds up.
View Quote

Reagan boomers used to say liberals were dumb for thinking the economic pie was static, when capitalism showed it could grow. Neither side in that distant summer-world envisaged the pie shrinking.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Also women staying home to be mothers. I'm going to keep banging this drum until it gets through people's concrete skulls.

It has even gotten to the point where The Enemy has noticed and started screaming.
View Quote

I agree, and even just staying home just to take care of the kids they have, not necessarily having more.  No sense in busting ass to barely pay for child care, if it's even available.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:47:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I agree, and even just staying home just to take care of the kids they have, not necessarily having more.  No sense in busting ass to barely pay for child care, if it's even available.
View Quote

The one solves the other.

A *YUUUUGE* part of declining birthrates comes down to massive ideological and social pressure against having kids. Shouldn't be surprising; you need that level of pressure to override such a deep biological urge.

Once you get women staying home with 1-2 kids they start figuring out real fast that kids are not the worst curse it is possible to imagine. Plus the reason for staying home "oh it's temporary because of [insert current situation here]" sidesteps all the ideological programming against being a stay at home mom.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 5:56:33 PM EDT
[#6]
41. I do not trust our national leadership, nor do I feel I can change what is occurring, nor would they let me.

Intersting from someone not working apparently.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#7]
The one about the car insurance commercials was pretty funny. I was actually just thinking yesterday about 'Flo' from progressive and wondering who exactly she was supposed to appeal to.

I'm in my mid/late 30s but I identified with a lot of these.

A couple years ago a bartender who was in his 20s told me he got rid of his car. He said it was cheaper to use Uber than to pay for his car / repairs / car insurance and he didn't have to worry about DUIs.

I find taking Uber trips to be unbearably awkward. I can't stand trying to make small talk with random drivers - but I guess younger people like it.

I often think about how much I would like to sell my house and go back to renting. I feel like I am losing the maintenance war. Every month there is some new thing I'm trying to repair or get fixed. Maybe it would feel different if I wasn't single but it is just a huge bother that I don't really have time for.

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 7:20:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not for me.  I'm a white male with no fallback position.  If I don't work, I will be divorced in short order and starving in a ditch.

I still resent every hour I spend working instead of doing shit I actually like to do.  Just because I need a job to live doesn't mean working is awesome.  I'm good at what I do, and my employer is happy with my performance.  I get frequent "attaboys" at work.  But at the end of my life I will still be bitter about the cumulative years spent on work instead of myself, my family and my friends.

View Quote

Hello me .

When/if people ask if I like my job , I tell them....I fucking loathe it . This winter has sucked more than normal, trudging thru 18 inches of snow all day every day , chipping ice . Fuuuuck .

However .....I am good at it and it has enabled me to raise two great young women who are well on their way to a way better life than I have .

So I respect my job and do my best every day . My employer pays me more than the average for our area .

That’s where the young people are getting stuck . Of course work fucking sucks , it’s work . They buy into the “do what you love “ horseshit.

I’d be a professional bass fisherman if that was the case , and I’d be fucking homeless and starving .

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 7:29:52 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Compensation of the top CEOs increased 1,322.2% from 1978 to 2020. There has only been an 18.0% growth in average worker’s annual compensation in that same time period.

From 2019-2020 (pandemic:) while millions were out of work, CEOs’ realized compensation jumped 18.9% in just one year. Typical worker compensation, of those who remained employed, did rise 3.9% over that year.
View Quote

Imagine being the ceo of Ford ....

Monday : Show up at nine , call someone , ask if we’re still making cars ...they answer yes we’re making cars

Tuesday: Show up at 9 , call someone , ask if we’re selllng cars....they answer yes we’re selling cars

Wednesday : Show up at 9 , call politician to bribe him to do what Ford wants to increase profit

Thursday: Golf day to bribe other politicians

Friday : Email everyone , “keep up the good work “ , get blowjob from hot secretary .

The next Monday : Damn , I’m doing an awesome job , I need an extra million dollars this year !

Rinse repeat until you get bored
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 7:32:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Hello me .

When/if people ask if I like my job , I tell them....I fucking loathe it . This winter has sucked more than normal, trudging thru 18 inches of snow all day every day , chipping ice . Fuuuuck .

However .....I am good at it and it has enabled me to raise two great young women who are well on their way to a way better life than I have .

So I respect my job and do my best every day . My employer pays me more than the average for our area .

That’s where the young people are getting stuck . Of course work fucking sucks , it’s work . They buy into the “do what you love “ horseshit.

I’d be a professional bass fisherman if that was the case , and I’d be fucking homeless and starving .

View Quote

Retired local carpenter near me probably makes more on his YouTube fishing adventures than he ever did as a carpenter.

The guy can flat out fish and he just wears a gopro chest rig. Doesn't even hide where he's fishing. If you know the lake you can figure out where he's at.

Doesn't have a fancy boat or anything special.

He probably never realized it would blow up like it did, but I'm happy for him.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 7:37:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
guy I work with is in his mid 40's and decided hes going to quit. put in his notice last month and his last day is this friday.

sold his house a couple months ago and is going to live with his parents.

I asked him what he was gonna do and he just said hang out for a few months and look for work sometime in the summer so he can just do nothing/whatever he wants for a while and go camping.

we all think he is making a pretty big mistake.
our job is in a technical field, he has no degree even though the position requires it and makes a hell of a salary doing it. Boss is awesome and really lenient with work schedules. does not care when you come, leave, or work on things as long as you make progress on what you are doing.

no way he is going to find another job that pays that well with no degree and has the same work environment.
View Quote

It's not about what you think it's about.  Sounds like this man has realized he's unhappy doing this work.  If you are miserable every day then no amount of money makes it worth it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Retired local carpenter near me probably makes more on his YouTube fishing adventures than he ever did as a carpenter.

The guy can flat out fish and he just wears a gopro chest rig. Doesn't even hide where he's fishing. If you know the lake you can figure out where he's at.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hello me .

That's where the young people are getting stuck . Of course work fucking sucks , it's work . They buy into the "do what you love " horseshit.

I'd be a professional bass fisherman if that was the case , and I'd be fucking homeless and starving .

I suspect there is more of this going on than people realize
Small time YouTubers Onlyfans and TikToc'rs making a few K a month.
Random selling woodworking, knitting and shit on Etsy .

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 8:42:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I just talked to the local Express Personnel. They can't get uneducated manual laborers for less than $15/hr (plus EP commition of about $7/hr).

So $22/hr for a ditch digger.

And hiring outside of a service isn't much better.

The last guys I hired...

They were about 80% done stripping the carpet out of a room (about 10 minutes of work) ...I took my eyes off of them for a few minutes... look around and they were gone... and so was my $200 dewalt cordless drill.

I guess I wasn't paying them enough.

This comment makes no sense to me. First off, who wants to be called an uneducated manual laborer, how glamorous. Secondly manual labor is usually hard so 22.00 an hour sounds pretty low to me. This ain’t the fucking 70’s anymore if you want someone to show up everyday on time, sober and a dependable vehicle with their shit together you’re gonna have to pay up. You get what you pay for.

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:24:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I suspect there is more of this going on than people realize
Small time YouTubers Onlyfans and TikToc'rs making a few K a month.
Random selling woodworking, knitting and shit on Etsy .

View Quote

I sell my 3D printed items on Ebay and Etsy. I don't make a killing but it pays for my gun hobby.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:50:05 PM EDT
[#15]
My nephew is mid 30s, couldn't get a decent job because he doesn't fit in with the rest of society so he tried stabbing his boss at the coffee stand with a pair of scissors and got 8 years of free room and board.

Maybe my sister will give up on his worthless ass before he gets out but I doubt it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2022 10:56:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My nephew is mid 30s, couldn't get a decent job because he doesn't fit in with the rest of society so he tried stabbing his boss at the coffee stand with a pair of scissors and got 8 years of free room and board.

Maybe my sister will give up on his worthless ass before he gets out but I doubt it.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/10/2022 11:01:48 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
guy I work with is in his mid 40's and decided hes going to quit. put in his notice last month and his last day is this friday.

sold his house a couple months ago and is going to live with his parents.

I asked him what he was gonna do and he just said hang out for a few months and look for work sometime in the summer so he can just do nothing/whatever he wants for a while and go camping.

we all think he is making a pretty big mistake.
our job is in a technical field, he has no degree even though the position requires it and makes a hell of a salary doing it. Boss is awesome and really lenient with work schedules. does not care when you come, leave, or work on things as long as you make progress on what you are doing.

no way he is going to find another job that pays that well with no degree and has the same work environment.
View Quote

Honestly, he’s probably the smart one. No heart attack at 50 for him. Some people just don’t give a shit about corp America anymore.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:35:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Amen brother.

I see it all the time at work now. The reality isn't that the workforce doesn't want to work, its that people are burned out and hate their lives, and their jobs.

The boomer hate I feel comes from a majority of Millennials working under a Boomer at the beginning of their career. When they were bright eyed and bushy tailed. And the middle manager Boomer or Gen Xer decided that instead of working to create good employees they would create extra capital for an atta boy from upper management and thought the only way to do that was "cracking the whip". And instead of treating them as people they were treated as a number, as a unit of production that can be removed at a whim, abused and underpaid. It created resentment and ruined a generation.

I see kids who are now 18-21 working 10+ hour days 6 days a week producing like it was peak wartime, being paid 13-15 bucks an hour for skilled work. Then being told "well when I started I made 7 bucks an hour" while refusing to acknowledge that 7 bucks an hour in 1973 was worth the equivalent of 43 an hour today. Then they tell you that its your fault you can't own a home, meet a woman and have kids and drive a new car. All while bragging about setting record profits and making record sales while posting cringe boomer memes from their Iphone in the office.

Then you factor in the inflation eating away those "high new wages for unskilled work" and most people in a year are bringing home less then they did 3-4 years ago all while being told that they are lucky to have such a grand time of opportunity. And the fucking ridiculous part is the wages for skilled labor is are somehow still stagnate. You get those Millennials who have been working for 10 years being paid within 2 bucks of the new guy, and then the bitterness comes, when in reality both are being fucked.

I watched a kid get fired 2 weeks ago because "he failed to meet production quotas". His parents had just moved across the country and he just got his first apartment with his fiancee. He had just finished a crash course in the trades and got a basic cert, and was basically taken, set up at a table and given a cumulative hour of instruction in 90 days and told to produce. After 90 days he hadn't made significant progress because no one was there to teach him. He was always on time, he worked his full shift and was a generally friendly guy who wasn't afraid to work hard. The guy who is a minority who is also terrible at his job, and who in 6 months as gotten to within one point (we use a point system) of being fired from being absent, chronically late, and who also spends more time in the shit house then the rest of the shop combined is still working there. The Gen X/Boomer who fired the white kid literally told me he had the wrong skin color.

Merit means nothing anymore. The "work harder and faster and better and you'll be at the top" bullshit means nothing. Day after day you come to realize the only thing hard work gets you, is more hard work. All while those who pop out kids or who jump the border live like kings.

And social media leads to more depression because all those fuckers who are also miserable, show only the highlights of the very best moments of their lives which convince you that your life is never going to be worth anything. Your absurd schedule of mandatory OT means that your chances of meeting a girl at the bar are all but dead, not that those are open anyways. So you spend your time not at work, drinking and playing video games to escape the misery that is your life. All while staring at the same wall you first stared at when you got your first chubby. And sooner then later you start wondering if suicide isn't an option. And for a depressing number of Millennials it is. And for the rest they seek help and are now saddled with prescriptions they hate, for a price they can't afford and have to keep working the same shit job that made them depressed in the first place to keep what shitty coverage they can afford. Then you factor in the student loan debt for a career you hate or were forced into by your parents, the car payment for a 10 year old beater that's falling apart and a rent for an apartment you share with 3 other fucking dudes.

All while being told to suck it up, and pull yourself up by your bootstaps. You just needed a firm handshake etc.

Is it any wonder people have given up? Is it any wonder why people don't want to work anymore and would rather live on a razors edge? I mean its not like they have ever been living high on the hog anyways.

Depression is whats killing the work force and Millennials in particular.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not for me.  I'm a white male with no fallback position.  If I don't work, I will be divorced in short order and starving in a ditch.

I still resent every hour I spend working instead of doing shit I actually like to do.  Just because I need a job to live doesn't mean working is awesome.  I'm good at what I do, and my employer is happy with my performance.  I get frequent "attaboys" at work.  But at the end of my life I will still be bitter about the cumulative years spent on work instead of myself, my family and my friends.

Amen brother.

I see it all the time at work now. The reality isn't that the workforce doesn't want to work, its that people are burned out and hate their lives, and their jobs.

The boomer hate I feel comes from a majority of Millennials working under a Boomer at the beginning of their career. When they were bright eyed and bushy tailed. And the middle manager Boomer or Gen Xer decided that instead of working to create good employees they would create extra capital for an atta boy from upper management and thought the only way to do that was "cracking the whip". And instead of treating them as people they were treated as a number, as a unit of production that can be removed at a whim, abused and underpaid. It created resentment and ruined a generation.

I see kids who are now 18-21 working 10+ hour days 6 days a week producing like it was peak wartime, being paid 13-15 bucks an hour for skilled work. Then being told "well when I started I made 7 bucks an hour" while refusing to acknowledge that 7 bucks an hour in 1973 was worth the equivalent of 43 an hour today. Then they tell you that its your fault you can't own a home, meet a woman and have kids and drive a new car. All while bragging about setting record profits and making record sales while posting cringe boomer memes from their Iphone in the office.

Then you factor in the inflation eating away those "high new wages for unskilled work" and most people in a year are bringing home less then they did 3-4 years ago all while being told that they are lucky to have such a grand time of opportunity. And the fucking ridiculous part is the wages for skilled labor is are somehow still stagnate. You get those Millennials who have been working for 10 years being paid within 2 bucks of the new guy, and then the bitterness comes, when in reality both are being fucked.

I watched a kid get fired 2 weeks ago because "he failed to meet production quotas". His parents had just moved across the country and he just got his first apartment with his fiancee. He had just finished a crash course in the trades and got a basic cert, and was basically taken, set up at a table and given a cumulative hour of instruction in 90 days and told to produce. After 90 days he hadn't made significant progress because no one was there to teach him. He was always on time, he worked his full shift and was a generally friendly guy who wasn't afraid to work hard. The guy who is a minority who is also terrible at his job, and who in 6 months as gotten to within one point (we use a point system) of being fired from being absent, chronically late, and who also spends more time in the shit house then the rest of the shop combined is still working there. The Gen X/Boomer who fired the white kid literally told me he had the wrong skin color.

Merit means nothing anymore. The "work harder and faster and better and you'll be at the top" bullshit means nothing. Day after day you come to realize the only thing hard work gets you, is more hard work. All while those who pop out kids or who jump the border live like kings.

And social media leads to more depression because all those fuckers who are also miserable, show only the highlights of the very best moments of their lives which convince you that your life is never going to be worth anything. Your absurd schedule of mandatory OT means that your chances of meeting a girl at the bar are all but dead, not that those are open anyways. So you spend your time not at work, drinking and playing video games to escape the misery that is your life. All while staring at the same wall you first stared at when you got your first chubby. And sooner then later you start wondering if suicide isn't an option. And for a depressing number of Millennials it is. And for the rest they seek help and are now saddled with prescriptions they hate, for a price they can't afford and have to keep working the same shit job that made them depressed in the first place to keep what shitty coverage they can afford. Then you factor in the student loan debt for a career you hate or were forced into by your parents, the car payment for a 10 year old beater that's falling apart and a rent for an apartment you share with 3 other fucking dudes.

All while being told to suck it up, and pull yourself up by your bootstaps. You just needed a firm handshake etc.

Is it any wonder people have given up? Is it any wonder why people don't want to work anymore and would rather live on a razors edge? I mean its not like they have ever been living high on the hog anyways.

Depression is whats killing the work force and Millennials in particular.

Really, the issue when you boil it down is exactly what the left complains about, and that's wealth disparity.  I agree with them that the people at the bottom are getting a shit deal.  Where we differ is that I don't think government is the solution to the problem.

It's a problem of human nature.  

Socialism and communism don't work, because when you take away the incentive to overachieve, people do the bare minimum.  Nobody will want to go to medical school to live in the same shitty government housing as a trash collector.  So it collapses because people won't work harder because it won't make them richer.  Human nature.

Capitalism has its problems too.  If a business owner is faced with the choice of giving himself a raise, or giving his employees a raise, most will choose themselves. They will pay their employees as little as they can get away with in order to keep more of the profits for themselves.  Again, it's human nature.

Not saying capitalism isn't the better of the two systems.  But in order to get the most out of capitalism, you need to have a lot of capital.  People at the bottom don't.

In both systems, there will still be "poor, tired, huddled masses", and wealthy elite living like royalty.  So neither one is a cure for the problems caused by the other.

So the question becomes, how can the people out there working full time and making shit pay (doing jobs that might not be prestigious, but are necessary for the economy to function) get compensated like people did 60 years ago when adjusted for real inflation?

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:42:35 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Really, the issue when you boil it down is exactly what the left complains about, and that's wealth disparity.  I agree with them that the people at the bottom are getting a shit deal.  Where we differ is that I don't think government is the solution to the problem.

It's a problem of human nature.  

Socialism and communism don't work, because when you take away the incentive to overachieve, people do the bare minimum.  Nobody will want to go to medical school to live in the same shitty government housing as a trash collector.  So it collapses because people won't work harder because it won't make them richer.  Human nature.

Capitalism has its problems too.  If a business owner is faced with the choice of giving himself a raise, or giving his employees a raise, most will choose themselves. They will pay their employees as little as they can get away with in order to keep more of the profits for themselves.  Again, it's human nature.

Not saying capitalism isn't the better of the two systems.  But in order to get the most out of capitalism, you need to have a lot of capital.  People at the bottom don't.

In both systems, there will still be "poor, tired, huddled masses", and wealthy elite living like royalty.  So neither one is a cure for the problems caused by the other.

So the question becomes, how can the people out there working full time and making shit pay (doing jobs that might not be prestigious, but are necessary for the economy to function) get compensated like people did 60 years ago when adjusted for real inflation?

View Quote

In practical terms, the fact that we are going to be in a seller's market for labor for at least a generation.

Of course there is also the much larger and utterly unstoppable trend that "inequality", strictly defined, is going to keep increasing because the upper limit of "skilled labor" is increasing.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 3:51:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Hello me .

That's where the young people are getting stuck . Of course work fucking sucks , it's work . They buy into the "do what you love " horseshit.

I'd be a professional bass fisherman if that was the case , and I'd be fucking homeless and starving .

View Quote

Haha I have 2 girls also.  I am getting the top end of the median salary for my skill set so there isn't much wiggle room there.  I don't make arfcom millionaire money.  I will never own a Rolex or a Mercedes.  I probably won't get to retire.  But I will leave my kids 2 paid off houses, and I hope I can convince them to go into some kind of jobs that will pay well enough to be independent.  I really am reluctant to encourage college because we can't afford it and I don't want them saddled with the debt.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:11:13 AM EDT
[#21]
In Liberty County, workers who quit feel liberated, but the community discovers a powerful downside

“Workers who have stepped away from full-time jobs say the pandemic helped them discover they can survive on occasional gig work and government benefits.”

I don’t think you all truly understand how expansive government “benefits” are, especially when you’re several generations into playing the system, and how low a quality of life some people are willing to accept when it allows them to be lazy
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:11:24 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you are miserable every day then no amount of money makes it worth it.
View Quote

Not entirely true.  It would be worth going through it if the pay was enough to let you retire a decade or more early.  My job doesn't really suck, but it's not what I want to be doing.

I'd prefer to get paid doing something I enjoy, but employers expect you to "be there" with regularity.  Which would turn something I enjoy into another unpleasant thing.  I think it's the lack of freedom that bothers me the most about working.  There are times when I really don't mind sitting down and working through a project.  But the problem with employment is you can't stop when you get bored.  You have to keep trudging through it until you put in your day's work, not matter how tiresome it gets.

My last employer had me traveling a lot.  So I was on the road sometimes for 5 hours a day, and at a desk maybe another 5. You wouldn't think the 5 hours on the road sucked.  But you can't really relax.  You're going 65-80 mph depending on the speed limit, and if your concentration lapses, you go off the road into a ditch and roll over.  If I had a self driving car and internet and could play on my phone the whole time it wouldn't be so bad.  But having to sit there paying attention to the road the whole time is mentally exhausting.  I used to think I could be a truck driver, but now I have a newfound respect for what they do.

Anyhow I tell my kids all the time that there are only a handful of fun jobs like movie star or musician or pro athlete and that even if they are very talented, they don't have the right connections to get those jobs.  I want them to have realistic expectations about work.  When they are messy at home or neglect their chores I remind them that they will get fired right away if they do that kind of crap at a job.

I don't necessarily think I am instilling a classical boomer "work ethic" in my kids, but I do really try to impress upon them that a good paying job is an absolute necessity in order not to live in squalor, and that they don't have to like it, but they do have to do it well.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:24:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
With the cowboys?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:38:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
"Long time passing"

View Quote

"Gone to young girls, every one!"

I had the same thought when I read the tittle.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 11:34:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The Boomers who were the subjects of Millennials complaining that Boomers were sitting in the good jobs blocking the millennial upward mobility decided to pull the plug and retire. So millennials finally got some upward mobility into empty positions but their slacker kids didn't want to start in the mailroom because they think everyone should start in the corner office. And if they can't get the corner office they assume that they're still owed a living wage of $30/hour minimum. With full loan forgiveness for their ivy league degree in underwater basket weaving.
View Quote
As a millennial, my "slacker kids" are still in diapers...
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:31:29 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Haha I have 2 girls also.  I am getting the top end of the median salary for my skill set so there isn't much wiggle room there.  I don't make arfcom millionaire money.  I will never own a Rolex or a Mercedes.  I probably won't get to retire.  But I will leave my kids 2 paid off houses, and I hope I can convince them to go into some kind of jobs that will pay well enough to be independent.  I really am reluctant to encourage college because we can't afford it and I don't want them saddled with the debt.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hello me .

You will find all sorts of anecdotes about the HS dropout that made a fortune, and the Ph.D. In English making 50K a year as a high school teacher.

But the overwhelming trends and graphs of HS dropout, HS grad, associates/tech degree, 4yr degree, and grad school, doctorate/professional degree are massively different.

And when you start looking at and cherry picking certain degrees, the numbers get even higher.

The median income where I grew up is 35K a year.
And I don’t  have any relatives that exceed it.
People with even 2 yr degrees or higher are about 7% of the population.

The first place I lived after college was a town where the median income is 170K.
Over 45% of the residents had a graduate or professional degree.

Education can have a major impact on finances.

Really bad if you dump a ton of money into an education that does not pay well.
Really good if you do.

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:41:06 PM EDT
[#27]
We're doing our best to make sure we have ourselves another Lost Generation.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 1:44:47 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
The question remains, how can they afford to live if they don't work and are able to?
View Quote

That would be my question as well. Perhaps another segment of society going down the path of generational welfare?
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:01:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
The one about the car insurance commercials was pretty funny. I was actually just thinking yesterday about 'Flo' from progressive and wondering who exactly she was supposed to appeal to.

I'm in my mid/late 30s but I identified with a lot of these.

A couple years ago a bartender who was in his 20s told me he got rid of his car. He said it was cheaper to use Uber than to pay for his car / repairs / car insurance and he didn't have to worry about DUIs.

I find taking Uber trips to be unbearably awkward. I can't stand trying to make small talk with random drivers - but I guess younger people like it.

I often think about how much I would like to sell my house and go back to renting. I feel like I am losing the maintenance war. Every month there is some new thing I'm trying to repair or get fixed. Maybe it would feel different if I wasn't single but it is just a huge bother that I don't really have time for.

View Quote

You really dont want to be waiting on the "owner" when your water heater goes out.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:12:40 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Too late, they are already severely damaged. Fortunately even the damaged can fix themselves enough to not be a loss given enough time and an environment that isn't doing everything possible to destroy them.

Now let me shed some light on how the current generation was raised: Oh, not by their parents. In fact, a vast number of the current generation had only “Quality time” with their parents, which might amount to a few hours a week. And in those hours eating and homework had to be accomplished.

Look, I raised kids between 20 and 30 years ago. I’m sure it’s worse now.

Messages the school gave my kids:

-Humans are ruining the Earth and will destroy it if it goes on.

-You’re in 9th grade now, you should sign this pledge that you’ll never have kids, because we’re overpopulated.

-Because every industry is polluting, you should not expect to have as good a life as your parents or grandparents. Dream small.

-You’re the brightest, best, smartest, and we expect you to change the world just by existing.

-The best way of changing the world is realizing how privileged you are and working for the underprivileged.

-Everyone who has more than they strictly need, has stolen it.

-The other sex that you’re naturally attracted to hates you and wants to destroy you/exploit you.

-The US was only ever rich because it was stolen from Amerindians/result of slavery.

-We’re all going to die in 12, 10 whatever number of years.

-If you’re hit you shouldn’t fight back, because that’s worse.

Should I go on?

https://accordingtohoyt.com/2021/12/16/the-lost/
ETA some more:
Most of that generation is lost, and it was made so on purpose, by people who taught them poisonous, horrible ideas and made them feel stupid and inept. Because they could.

Standing in front of them screaming “What you need is some hard times” should get you shivved. It won’t because they already feel too guilty for breathing.

They might call you fascist or something, because that’s the only way they were taught to escape mroe pain and punishment: to join with the mob and pile on.

But that’s it.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 2:14:34 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

This is why I work so hard. Generational wealth is a thing. My grandmother saved million to pass down to her children and my parents have put me ahead and my children will be out ahead. Work always sucks and a lot of it is siphoned off for the unproductive, but I am confident that I am comfortable and afford luxury many are stressed about. 34 and in a few years the last of my debts paid off including my home, my children are well cared for and have a fund to start life in. My father expressed intention to leave me a substantial sum of money, but I don’t count on it and even if I did inherit it, I will do my best to preserve it for my kids.
View Quote

Pretty soon generational wealth won't be a thing for normies with inflation being the way it is unless it's all stored in hard, appreciating assets.

Working your whole life and leaving your kids a million dollars is pretty worthless when an econobox costs $500k.
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 4:22:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Reagan boomers used to say liberals were dumb for thinking the economic pie was static, when capitalism showed it could grow. Neither side in that distant summer-world envisaged the pie shrinking.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No you're right you can totally keep building houses 10 minutes from downtown areas. Forever. You'll never run out of places to build
Link Posted: 2/11/2022 5:52:32 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

No you're right you can totally keep building houses 10 minutes from downtown areas. Forever. You'll never run out of places to build
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/11/2022 7:10:21 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hello me .

View Quote

Well me, it's nice talking to myself. A credit due dementia

Link Posted: 2/16/2022 1:09:28 AM EDT
[#35]
The only reason why the majority of men I know show up to work is to provide for their families.

Take that away or make that impossible through shitty jobs, divorce court or a hostile culture.

Men will check out. And we’re capable of living at a level of minimalist austerity that bluntly is impossible for a woman.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top