User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 8:24:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a mint original 2000 RC51 if interested.  10K miles.  Located in SLC
View Quote

I'd love to own that bike. Not even sure what they're selling for these days.

Ok, what are you asking for it?

@car_wash_guy
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 8:25:06 PM EDT
[#2]
99 R1
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 8:57:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Nice!

But theres just something about the Ducati 916 that gives me a chubby.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110810/IMG_1334_jpeg-3077258.JPG
View Quote

Hands down my favorite bike ever.

I know it's not the best bike, I just like the way it sounds and looks.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 9:07:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Nice!

But theres just something about the Ducati 916 that gives me a chubby.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/110810/IMG_1334_jpeg-3077258.JPG

One of the sexiest bikes ever for sure.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 9:17:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Ducati 900 SS

One of the most distinctive bikes of that era

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/30014/900ss-1525949.jpg
View Quote

This guy knows.  I had a 96 SS/SP came with a solid silver challenge coin.  Great bike.  Fast as fuck with a ton of torque.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 9:26:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
95 cbr 900rr

View Quote

Had that bike for a summer. Insane power to weight, every shift the front wheel was up.  Stupid fast.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:13:46 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a couple 80’s bikes, but also had a ‘92 Suzuki GSX 1100F Katana.
It was an awesome bike. Power curve for days. Not a canyon banger, but very comfortable on trips.

I may or may not have cruised at 140 in the SoCal desert. Numerous times.
Loved that bike.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:22:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
While I had fun on my 97 ZX6R I would say either the 90-96 ZX11 or a Honda CBR1100XX
View Quote

I had a 94 ZX11 and my dad had a 92… they were pretty bad motorcycles in build quality and pretty much anything but going flat out in a straight line. I had mine 14 months and put 15k on it….. it was by far the worst bike I have ever owned out of the 18 or so I’ve had. Just awful build quality… gage bracket failures, paint rusting thru on the tank in less than 4 months, starter stopped working, you name it.

Nothing makes you feel better about your 1 month old motorcycle than watching the gages rattle around in the dash sideways all the way home from Kentucky to Detroit….
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:25:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
2006 GSXR 1000. I know that is not a 90s bike. But the tech jumped big time. If must be a 90 something then find a 99 GSXR 750
View Quote

Still got my 2005 GSXR 10000, even compared to more modern bikes it is still an exhilarating bike to ride. Best $9600 I ever spent, walked into the dealership, told them I would buy it for $1k off retail OTD. They didn’t like it but they did the deal.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:52:20 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Something green with Kawasaki on the tank.

There are some new retro bikes that look pretty bad ass.
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:09:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:35:29 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

It was, still is. Racing classes that is. Some people refer to all sportbikes as supersports regardless of displacement class.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Back then I thought supersport was a 600 4 or 750 twin...

CBR600 or ZX6R

It was, still is. Racing classes that is. Some people refer to all sportbikes as supersports regardless of displacement class.

That's a very polite way of saying that some people are dead wrong.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:39:45 AM EDT
[#13]
I have enjoyed my 2000 Zx-9R I have owned it about a year looks brand new and a blast to ride.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:53:40 AM EDT
[#14]
I'd have to go 916 but my 1994 GSXR750 was no slouch.  Fast as all get out, I'm lucky to be alive.

No more bikes for me, it be scary out there.  I miss it but the danger variables out there have increased so much IMO.  I got a fun car instead.

This was the one I had, with some exhaust and jetting
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:57:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So for no reason other in particular other than YouTube I want to buy a 90s era Supersport.

I have no prior experience on one and they a tourturesly impractical for where I live with small pre ICE streets but fuck all that.

Not looking for a particular displaycement or horse power amount but I do like the look of the twin round headlight setup (not a must).

What's the best solid bang for the buck?

View Quote

Tiller

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:03:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Thanks all. I'll be using this thread in my search.

If anybody visits NL i'll buy dinner and hop over to the Autobahn with you

View Quote

GL man, screwing around at lunch there were quite a few more than I expected on AutoScout, AutoTrader UK, few others, so you should be set on availability. Like half a dozen 90s CBR600s on AutoScout -  in France alone.

https://www.autoscout24.com/lst-moto/honda/cbr-600?atype=B&cy=D%2CA%2CB%2CE%2CF%2CI%2CL%2CNL&desc=0&fregfrom=1990&fregto=2001&powertype=kw&search_id=1hbyzpmrxvr&sort=standard&source=detailsearch&ustate=N%2CU

Bookmarked this too

Attachment Attached File

https://www.autotrader.co.uk/bike-details/202307280169025?sort=year-asc&advertising-location=at_bikes&body-type=Super%20Sports&page=2&postcode=GY5%207EB&price-from=500&year-from=1990&year-to=2002&fromsra

Too avoid any pedantic piling, it's not a SS nor a reco, just something I didn't expect to see and decided to share.

Prolly won't end up with any scorching deals on the wide sites, those are mostly stumbles. Post up whatever you end up with. If you're not a fair wrench, might be a good idea to find one - mostly condition is evident, but if I can bribe one of the pro techs I know into taking a look for me the peace of mind is normally worth the tariff.

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:08:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Fire Fucking Blade 900rrrrrr
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:10:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Watch this video and you will have your answer.

https://youtu.be/5NL89rUGHeg?si=nVvB_qSgR3n6yXSI
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:12:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@car_wash_guy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@car_wash_guy

$8k

Only thing NOT original is :

1.  Front Master - Changed to a Brembo Radial Master.  Foolishly gave OEM one to friend back then
2.  Rear Fender was trimmed.
3.  Arrow Full Ti System + PCIII.  Made 131RWHP.  Have original MINT full exhaust system
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#20]
I had an 89 gsxt 750 we put an 1100 in. You may have seen it back then in a magazine. It was painted to match the Shoei Spark helmet.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:36:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Had that bike for a summer. Insane power to weight, every shift the front wheel was up.  Stupid fast.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
95 cbr 900rr

Samurai found it :
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 10:56:23 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I have enjoyed my 2000 Zx-9R I have owned it about a year looks brand new and a blast to ride.
View Quote

Treat it like a Faberge egg…. The bodywork and tank for that bike are pure titanium. A good friend of mine recommissioned his last year and ran into alllll kind of problems. The gas tank was the worse because a vent tube inside rusted and detached. These weren’t super popular bikes back in the day despite being pretty damned decent so spare parts are tough to find.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:03:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Between the wife and I, we have 10 bikes-two are late 80’s, nothing from the 90’s:

Attachment Attached File

The one under the cover is an EBR1190RS Carbon Edition:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:10:42 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Partial to the Buell X1 Lightning myself.
View Quote
Make it an S1 and you'll be in the right decade.  

X1 if you want the HD infected version.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Make it an S1 and you'll be in the right decade.  

X1 if you want the HD infected version.  
View Quote

I haven’t ridden too many Buells, basically a Cyclone and a buddy’s X1 Lightening SS a few months ago. I think I liked the Cyclone better despite the Lightning being a better motorcycle. Buell did a lot to make the most of a Harley based engine but riding one fast and hustling it thru corners is a lot of work keeping the engine in an RPM range where it is happy. It’s kinda like the opposite of riding a 2-stroke where the power is only good in a narrow band at the top of the tach-it’s at the bottom and you’ve got 2,500 rpm where it’s decent and unhappy everywhere else. At least with the M2 Cyclone you could just cruise and enjoy it-the chassis on the X1 is good enough to want to go fast but the engine is just confused.

Rotax engines were the best thing that ever happened to Buell.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:28:36 AM EDT
[#26]
The one that won't kill you.  But in the 90s, Ducatis were the bike to get around here.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Honda all the two wheel things
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:05:06 PM EDT
[#28]
I worked at the local Yamaha/Honda shop from 04-06 and got to play with a lot of the bikes in this thread.  Was a very fun time in life.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:06:09 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
GS 1150 ES Suzuki
View Quote
Had one. Zero to a hundred in your driveway.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:06:42 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The one that won't kill you.  But in the 90s, Ducatis were the bike to get around here.
View Quote

The 916 is the one to get but they are becoming collectible. None of those bikes will be affordable to keep running though if you plan to actually ride them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:08:29 PM EDT
[#31]

I miss my RC something fierce.  I loved it so much I kept it in the kitchen .

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Rotax engines were the best thing that ever happened to Buell.
View Quote

I agree and disagree.  I spent a bunch of time on an S1 in the late 90's.  Spent some time on XBRR race bike in early 2000's.  I now have 3 Ulysses.  I love the old air-cooled Buells.  I remember riding a Uly in 2006 at their introduction and thinking "it runs out of power too soon".  At that time I was used to high revving Japanese bikes.  Now, 20 years later, the Uly is my favorite bike (I enjoy riding it more than my Gen 5 VFR...which likes to rev).

I never spent time on a Rotax powered Buell, but IMO they lost some of their character at that time.  They became more like the Japanese, Italian, and other "modern" bikes.  I always wanted a Uly since they day they were introduced.  I never had the desire for a Rotax powered bike.  At that point a Ducati made more sense to me.

The Rotax would have been necessary for future survival, for sure.  However it was also the step away from the quirky bikes Buell had offered.  It was a step towards mainstream.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I agree and disagree.  I spent a bunch of time on an S1 in the late 90's.  Spent some time on XBRR race bike in early 2000's.  I now have 3 Ulysses.  I love the old air-cooled Buells.  I remember riding a Uly in 2006 at their introduction and thinking "it runs out of power too soon".  At that time I was used to high revving Japanese bikes.  Now, 20 years later, the Uly is my favorite bike (I enjoy riding it more than my Gen 5 VFR...which likes to rev).

I never spent time on a Rotax powered Buell, but IMO they lost some of their character at that time.  They became more like the Japanese, Italian, and other "modern" bikes.  I always wanted a Uly since they day they were introduced.  I never had the desire for a Rotax powered bike.  At that point a Ducati made more sense to me.

The Rotax would have been necessary for future survival, for sure.  However it was also the step away from the quirky bikes Buell had offered.  It was a step towards mainstream.
View Quote

I haven’t ridden an 1125 powered bike or one of the production 1190’s, just my 1190RS which is hand built with lots of fancy parts in it. It is a different enough animal to not be “Japanese”, but if it were, it would be better for it. The spread of power is really good and it has better throttling than any Japanese bike I have owned-it is a clear step up on anything I have ridden in terms of handling as well, even over my R1M… my a long shot. But, it’s a barely street legal AMA spec race bike so it should be good. I do think that the Rotax engine would have been a short term thing if Buell had been successful-by the time EBR went under for the last time, Ducati proved that the V-Twin was a technological dead end as a way of throwing a bike around a race track and that’s what sells bikes no matter how much a given engine type works on the street. They should have been developing a triple.

I’d love to give a Ulysses a shot-could be a nice bike to ride fast, lazy… and not hurt afterwards like my wife’s Street Triple 765RS.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 12:57:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I'd love to give a Ulysses a shot-could be a nice bike to ride fast, lazy  and not hurt afterwards like my wife's Street Triple 765RS.
View Quote

It's probably not a coincidence that I thought the bike ran out of power "too soon" when I was in my 20's...but now in my late 40's it's my favorite.  It can be ridden just as fast as any bike I've owned (over 150 bikes over the decades), but it's -relaxing- while doing it.  It's taken some getting used to, but I've come to really enjoy it.  You just "flow" on it and ride the torque curve.  Ok, truth be told, it's not really "as fast"...the R1s and liter GSXR's would have been faster.  But it's a different type of satisfaction.  

I also realize the Rotax powered bikes were the first time Erik was able to build the bikes he actually wanted to build...modern performance bikes with modern performance engines.  I'd love to see where Buell could be today had Harley not axed them.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:16:11 PM EDT
[#35]
A buddy of mine had a late 90's Joe Camel CBR. I kinda always wanted one........

Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:23:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
95 cbr 900rr

View Quote

Can confirm.  I had one, it was ridiculous.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:29:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Yamaha FZ...but I'm nostalgic.  I owned one until I got hit on it.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:40:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
A buddy of mine had a late 90's Joe Camel CBR. I kinda always wanted one........

https://bringatrailer.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/07/1993_honda_cbr-600-smokin-joe-miguel-duhamel-signed_20370-1-50080.jpg
View Quote

I will always, always be a sucker for an F3.  I always thought those were just a beautiful bike.  And so damn well rounded performance wise.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 1:42:33 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Early 90s VFR. Not my pic but I did have a 93 like this, best sound in internal combustion, v4 with gear driven cams.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/27773/IMG_0964_jpeg-3077662.JPG
View Quote
I had an immaculate '93 with a Wolf underseat exhaust.  Of the 150+ bikes I've owned, it's one of the "I'd like to have that one back" bikes.  I will always have a soft spot for that pearl while beauty.  The wheels were a PITA to keep clean, by man oh man did it look amazing when clean.

I've currently got a green '99.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 4:22:04 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Still got my 2005 GSXR 10000, even compared to more modern bikes it is still an exhilarating bike to ride. Best $9600 I ever spent, walked into the dealership, told them I would buy it for $1k off retail OTD. They didn’t like it but they did the deal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
2006 GSXR 1000. I know that is not a 90s bike. But the tech jumped big time. If must be a 90 something then find a 99 GSXR 750

Here is a pic of the one I owned. It would go 100 MPH in first gear. Plenty fast enough

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 4:45:56 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

I had a 94 ZX11 and my dad had a 92… they were pretty bad motorcycles in build quality and pretty much anything but going flat out in a straight line. I had mine 14 months and put 15k on it….. it was by far the worst bike I have ever owned out of the 18 or so I’ve had. Just awful build quality… gage bracket failures, paint rusting thru on the tank in less than 4 months, starter stopped working, you name it.

Nothing makes you feel better about your 1 month old motorcycle than watching the gages rattle around in the dash sideways all the way home from Kentucky to Detroit….
View Quote

I had a 94 cbr 900 friend bought the 94 ninja 900, thing leaked oil from day one, dealership couldnt fix it, seem the case halfs werent smooth or out of spec.  piece of junk compared to my cbr 40k miles and nothing
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 4:51:00 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

It's an easy ride across the Atlantic
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:37:11 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

It's probably not a coincidence that I thought the bike ran out of power "too soon" when I was in my 20's...but now in my late 40's it's my favorite.  It can be ridden just as fast as any bike I've owned (over 150 bikes over the decades), but it's -relaxing- while doing it.  It's taken some getting used to, but I've come to really enjoy it.  You just "flow" on it and ride the torque curve.  Ok, truth be told, it's not really "as fast"...the R1s and liter GSXR's would have been faster.  But it's a different type of satisfaction.  

I also realize the Rotax powered bikes were the first time Erik was able to build the bikes he actually wanted to build...modern performance bikes with modern performance engines.  I'd love to see where Buell could be today had Harley not axed them.
View Quote

Well, he has a sport touring model and a full on 450cc motocross bike that were production ready and axed at the last minute by Harley despite that he was profitable and they were not….. Buells were a poor fit for Harley dealerships and a bit of a problem for an underperforming CEO who needed excuses and “Erik’s Racing Hobby” (his words to Harley employees) was an easy mark when it came time to make cuts….

I’m betting that a Buell Panamerica would have been out by now and would not have sucked. It just blows my mind that a company with Harley’s engineering capabilities can’t make a bike that didn’t leave owners into Beta Testers given how long the gestation period for the bike was. That, and dropping the Bronx streetfighter after announcing it was coming with the smaller motor and not the 1250 was pants on head stupid.

They really cut their nuts off getting rid of Buell. Everyone who wanted an air cooled twin has bought one and customers are getting thin on the ground.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:48:10 PM EDT
[#44]
Triumph Speed Triple
Smoother than a twin,more torque than a four.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:20:04 PM EDT
[#45]
I still have my 90 Honda CB-1 400 I bought new and its a little ripper around town but I mostly stick to backroads now for safety's sake.

I will say that you better be OK wrenching and part scouting online because even the minty 90s sport bikes will need some love once in a while due to aging rubber components. Most bike mechanics won't touch older sport bikes because if they accidently break something getting to the guts they can't just order a new one out of the factory parts catalog to replace it. Online forums specific to your bike are your friends.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:34:38 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well, he has a sport touring model and a full on 450cc motocross bike that were production ready and axed at the last minute by Harley despite that he was profitable and they were not….. Buells were a poor fit for Harley dealerships and a bit of a problem for an underperforming CEO who needed excuses and “Erik’s Racing Hobby” (his words to Harley employees) was an easy mark when it came time to make cuts….

I’m betting that a Buell Panamerica would have been out by now and would not have sucked. It just blows my mind that a company with Harley’s engineering capabilities can’t make a bike that didn’t leave owners into Beta Testers given how long the gestation period for the bike was. That, and dropping the Bronx streetfighter after announcing it was coming with the smaller motor and not the 1250 was pants on head stupid.

They really cut their nuts off getting rid of Buell. Everyone who wanted an air cooled twin has bought one and customers are getting thin on the ground.
View Quote

IIRC, the MoCo CEO that killed Buell was from Johnson Controls and he was not a "motorcycle guy".  I believe that's when Harley Davidson sealed their fate and lost a lot of goodwill in the motorcycle community.  The motorcycle press liked Eric's bikes.
I have owned two Harleys but nothing they currently make interests me.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:40:05 PM EDT
[#47]
Rc45
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:46:21 PM EDT
[#48]
The oil cooled GSXR-1100 is powerful and somewhat comfortable, if a bit heavy.

The early 90's Kawasaki ZX-7 is a classic, handles great, but fairly slow by today's standards.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:52:27 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Gixxer 10000?!
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Here is a pic of the one I owned. It would go 100 MPH in first gear. Plenty fast enough

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/126641/DSC_0732__2__JPG-3078580.JPG
View Quote

If you liked it, the time to get one is now. They are becoming cult classics and prices are rising… they are still fairly easy to get aftermarket parts for-mine just has an ECU flash (best 75 bucks I ever spent), an Akrapovic full Ti system, and a Bazzaz EFI/quick shifter/traction control system on it. The Bazzaz unit is pretty basic and works fairly well out of corners but isn’t a safety unit at all-you can still high side yourself into low earth orbit with a big handful…. It basically tidies up small amounts of wheelspin by monitoring for spikes in engine rpm. That said,….. you can get a full blown IMU based traction control system from Gripone for the same money I paid for the Bazzaz unit. Gripone is owned by Diego Gubellini, a MotoGP electronics guy and now crew chief.

Then there is the supercharger that TTS offers….. a controllable 230 hp at the tire.. trying to figure out what to do with mine as I close in on retirement and can’t take them all with me. Or insure them all.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top