Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/21/2020 1:03:17 PM EDT
For Christmas, my youngest bought me some indoor range passes for us to go shooting. I am going to take her this evening and thought I would surprise her with a new pistol. She already has a Henry lever action. Is everyone pleased with their Ruger Wrangler?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:05:39 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't have a wrangler, but bought my youngest a single six when he was 12.

Yeah they are expensive, but I still have the one gramps gave me almost 40 years ago.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:06:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Check the trigger pull.  Some are pretty bad.  Nothing a spring kit won't fix.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:06:48 PM EDT
[#3]
I haven’t played with the Wrangler, but my vote is a Ruger MK IV. I have a MK III and it’s a blast to shoot and it’s the first gun I hand to a new shooter to learn on. Get a threaded model if you have a can.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:08:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Wranglers are nice. Everybody needs one two three.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:08:33 PM EDT
[#5]
44 Magnum.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:11:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Just a suggestion,  if the range has rentals rent a couple and let her see which one she likes best.  Just suggesting that since women are picky

At 12 I would have loved a Jimenez Arms JA 22
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:11:52 PM EDT
[#8]
A single action revolver might be a little complex for a young girl to handle. Especially since you really have to manipulate the gun to load it, and you end up waving it all over.

I would recommend a ruger Mk3 or 4. It’s heavy enough to keep the recoil down to zero, simple to operate, and you can teach excellent marksmanship fundamentals.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:12:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I'd go with a Ruger Mk series semi. I have a Mk3 hunter with a cheap red dot that my nieces and nephews love shooting. Its a little heavy in that configuration, maybe a 4" pencil barrel would be better for small hands. If I break this out on range day, it's guaranteed to run through a brick or more.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:13:03 PM EDT
[#10]
My 10 year old daughter wants and will be getting a Ruger SR22 soon.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:14:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I was so impressed with my Ruger Wrangler I bought a second one to put in my infant grandson's heirloom chest.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:16:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Ruger MkIV
Ruger SR22
Ruger Wrangler
Ruger Single Six
Ruger Bearcat
Browning Buckmark
S&W Victory 22

Kids seems to like my suppressed MkIII 22/45 LITE the most.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:16:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:16:54 PM EDT
[#14]
I have a Single 10 that I love, but a wrangler is on the short list for handguns.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:18:27 PM EDT
[#15]
M&P .22 compact.  My kids love it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:18:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Something classy, something with a gold trigger.

Buckmark is the only answer.

Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:18:51 PM EDT
[#17]
When mine gets a little older I’m going to make her learn on the Glock 44
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:19:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Wranglers are nice. Everybody needs one two three.
View Quote
You do know there are 4 now right? There's a grren one out. Distributor exclusive.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:20:54 PM EDT
[#19]
I would say get her a Buckmark. It's better made and will outshoot the tactical trainers;it's something she can have for a lifetime.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Good choice.  Small grip module should fit.  I have one and these things just plain work.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:23:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
A single action revolver might be a little complex for a young girl to handle. Especially since you really have to manipulate the gun to load it, and you end up waving it all over.

I would recommend a ruger Mk3 or 4. It’s heavy enough to keep the recoil down to zero, simple to operate, and you can teach excellent marksmanship fundamentals.
View Quote
I bet a 12yo video game iphone wizzard can load a single six faster than I can with decades of experience, fat fingers, aging eyesight, and failing hand-eye coordination.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:24:53 PM EDT
[#22]
Volquartsen for sure.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:25:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes, I'd say either that or the S&W M&P .22.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:26:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I bet a 12yo video game iphone wizzard can load a single six faster than I can with decades of experience, fat fingers, aging eyesight, and failing hand-eye coordination.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not saying she can’t handle it, just that loading and firing a single action Introduces more operations than necessary. Where with a semi auto, the strong hand stays on the grip at all times, and she doesn’t have to worry about adjusting her grip constantly to cock the hammer, while being unfamiliar with pistols in general.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:29:32 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I haven’t played with the Wrangler, but my vote is a Ruger MK IV. I have a MK III and it’s a blast to shoot and it’s the first gun I hand to a new shooter to learn on. Get a threaded model if you have a can.
View Quote
I second the mark IV. Excellent tack driver and not heavy. Its a PITA to take down though.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
I’m love mine.   It’s been a great little shooter.   It’ll shoot any ammo I put in it.

Just wish I’d have gotten the threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#27]
M&P 22c or Taurus TX22
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:33:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Depending on the size of her hands, a Beretta M9-22 trainer might work very well.
My 11 year old grandson struggled with the Ruger Bearcat, wasn't showing any interest in shooting.
So I pulled out the Beretta, walked him through the operation, pointed him downrange, & he started smiling as he was shooting.
I was sure he'd not be able to hold or control it, but he surprised me.
Oh, he's a little guy, very small for his age.
Another option might be the (much smaller) Bersa Thunder 22.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I second the mark IV. Excellent tack driver and not heavy. Its a PITA to take down though.
View Quote
No it's not. The new Mk4's take down in seconds.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:34:48 PM EDT
[#30]
If you have the funds, and it’s something you’re hoping she’ll hang onto for life I’d vote single six, bearcat, or beretta 87.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:36:14 PM EDT
[#31]
How big are her hands?
My youngest struggles with a single action revolver grip.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:37:06 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#33]
I second (third? forth?) a Ruger MKIV.  They just plain shoot!  Super accurate and tons of aftermarket parts so she can customize it to make it "her's".

The "lite" models might be OK. but I prefer a solid barrel.

Ruger-MKIV-Tactical by Colo CJ, on Flickr
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Ruger MkIV
Ruger SR22
Ruger Wrangler
Ruger Single Six
Ruger Bearcat
Browning Buckmark
S&W Victory 22

Kids seems to like my suppressed MkIII 22/45 LITE the most.
View Quote
Yes.

Don't over think it
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:45:07 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
When mine gets a little older I’m going to make her learn on the Glock 44
View Quote
Sheesh, I thought it would have been the FP in this thread. I'm getting my 8 year old a G44.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:45:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Another vote for the Buckmark.  My 10 year old loves it and is a damn good shot with it as well.  I wouldn’t say he’s a particularly talented marksman, it’s just that the gun handles and points very naturally for him.  Second choice would be the single six.  Either one will be a life long keeper like the Henry.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:46:09 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote
Another vote for the SR22. It's small enough but big enough for adults. It has a good trigger and eats pretty much anything.
The Ruger MK series may be a little big and heavy for the younger crowd and my MK3 22/45 had a horrible trigger.
I wound up putting another $150 into it to make it a fun shooter.

The SR22 is great out of the box.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:46:54 PM EDT
[#38]
Ruger Mk IV. Accept no substitutes. Inexpensive, great out of the box with lots of aftermarket upside. Tremendous value for money and by far the best in class.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:46:58 PM EDT
[#39]
I suggest SR-22.

Smaller size, very lightweight, looks super cool.  Check to see if she can manipulate the safety.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:48:15 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/196752/22bunny_jpg-1243457.JPG
View Quote
Nice, forgot to state I have an older 22/45 lite that is quite stiff with taking the rear pin out. Only had it apart 3 times. Did not know they changed the take down. Is the new takedown similar on all the models?
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:54:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It’s an issue that’s been way overblown by the internet even if we’re talking about MKIIIs and earlier. I could handle my MKII without issue at 12/13/14 after doing it a few times.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:58:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Something classy, something with a gold trigger.

Buckmark is the only answer.

View Quote
This right fucking here.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 1:59:04 PM EDT
[#43]
My daughter asked for a Ruger SR22 when she was about that age and still loves it 7 years later.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:09:56 PM EDT
[#44]
Ruger Mark IV Lite

The wrangle or single six are novelties.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:10:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I picked up a Mk IV 22/45 a while back.  My oldest daughter could only shoot it a few times before having to set it down and take a break because of the weight.  She enjoyed shooting it, but had to take breaks.

I got rid of that and picked up a S&W M&P 22c and took her and her younger sister to the range.  Both girls enjoyed it.  The oldest didn't have to take breaks... and after the first pull of the trigger she said, "That surprised me."  The trigger is much lighter than the 22/45.  I'm not saying the MK IVs aren't good... but they are the best choice for my daughters who are about the same age.  I'd go with something like these two suggestions.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:14:08 PM EDT
[#46]
I didn’t like the Wrangler. If you don’t want to pony up for the single six, maybe look at the MK3 or 4.

But I’d seriously look at the G44 .22 LR. Teach her to shoot that. Then picking up the G19 will be a snap.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:19:23 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I would say get her a Buckmark. It's better made and will outshoot the tactical trainers;it's something she can have for a lifetime.
View Quote
That is my vote too.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:21:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I suggest SR-22.

Smaller size, very lightweight, looks super cool.  Check to see if she can manipulate the safety.
View Quote
De-cocker
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:25:42 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Just a suggestion,  if the range has rentals rent a couple and let her see which one she likes best.  Just suggesting that since women are picky

At 12 I would have loved a Jimenez Arms JA 22
View Quote
At 12, your frontal cortex was not fully mature and your life experiences were limited.

At this point, would you still choose the Jimenez 22?

Anecdotally; acquaintance bought a Jimenez 9mm.  Jam-O-matic non-grouping pot metal pig of pistol.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:26:38 PM EDT
[#50]
Wife and teen daughter both have a Smith and Wesson M&P .22 and they love 'em. Wife carries a Smith and Wesson Bodyguard .380 daily but loves to plink with the M&P. It's a great beginner gun to get comfy with gripping and aiming and cleaning and mastering. Plus it's super comfy for hands of all sizes so it can grow with her. I even enjoy using the little .22 and how it feels/handles.

Quoted to add that we also have Ruger and Buck Mark in .22 and they're also incredible guns that you won't go wrong with. My girls just prefer the feel and performance of the S&W.

Best thing ever would be to take your little girl to pick it out and let her handle several. Reinforce to her how much you value her opinion about it and that you respect her decisions enough to let her pick for herself.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top