Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/13/2022 6:26:22 PM EDT
I need to recommend one to my High School nephew. Feel free to recommend one not in the poll.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Instructor, mindset and discipline to train seriously are more important than whatever art you choose.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Just watch Billy Jack.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:32:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Rex kwan do
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:33:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Any of them will be better than trying to rely on strength and a hot temper.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:34:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Build strength and cardio. BJJ / wrestling and boxing.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:34:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Jui-Jitsu is from Japan. BJJ is not traditional Jui-Jitsu.

The Instructor and student will make the difference.
There is more to Martial Arts then self defense.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:34:44 PM EDT
[#7]
BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai, Boxing

The UFC has shown that the efficacy of Mixed Martial Arts is greater than individual, incomplete systems.

None of this is a replacement for tactics...and fire superiority.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:34:53 PM EDT
[#8]
Ameri-Do-Te.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:36:25 PM EDT
[#9]
I am of the opinion that what some refer to as street or traditional JuJitsu and Small Circle JuJitsu are the most general purpose martial arts there are. That’s just my opinion having spent 10 years or so in various Dojos. At the end of the day ultimately it will come down to which one meshes well with you and the quality of the instructor you have and how much of yourself you dedicate to it.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:36:33 PM EDT
[#10]
Chuck-Norris-Do or Fu
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:36:41 PM EDT
[#11]
poll fail, no escrima arnis
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:38:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Couple thoughts, Bruce Lee was a master at Kung Fu. I’m sure that guy was able to kick many ass’s from other disciplines.

MMA fighters that use good wrestling techniques as a primary way to fight almost usually win.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:40:25 PM EDT
[#13]
Eagle Fang
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:40:34 PM EDT
[#14]
One-on-one fights with mostly nonlethal ROE: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, with a supplemental striking art like Muay Thai or Boxing, based on MMA
One-on-many or many-on-many fights with mostly nonlethal ROE: Muay Thai or Boxing, with supplemental BJJ in case someone brings you to the ground (same as above, except with a striking/upright emphasis)
Lethal ROE, or ROE where legal complications are otherwise secondary: Krav Maga, trained by someone who actually knows Krav Maga and isn't making it up (frauds seem prevalent here)

For a high schooler, you really can't go wrong with a good school with a good teacher that teaches a combination of Brazilian Ju-Jitsu and almost any striking art.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I voted Krav Maga as I learned a great deal from it.

If time is of the essence and you want to get up to speed as quickly as practical, I'd recommend boxing.

ETA
Sparring is essential, you must spar, preferably full contact. Big, puffy 16 oz gloves and headgear are fine, but you must spar.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just watch Billy Jack.
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:41:37 PM EDT
[#17]
The Way of the Gun
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:42:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Couple thoughts, Bruce Lee was a master at Kung Fu. I’m sure that guy was able to kick many ass’s from other disciplines.

MMA fighters that use wrestling techniques almost usually win.
View Quote

Bruce Lee was trained in Wing Chun, Escrima, Karate, Boxing, etc.  He was a mixed martial artist if you follow the teachings of his Jeet Kwon Do.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
BJJ, Wrestling, Muay Thai, Boxing

The UFC has shown that the efficacy of Mixed Martial Arts is greater than individual, incomplete systems.

None of this is a replacement for tactics...and fire superiority.
View Quote

I was going to add MMA in, but wasn't sure if that's for beginners. I'm guessing you need to be proficient in one before you can master many. I may be wrong.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:45:03 PM EDT
[#20]
Muay Thai.

People don’t fight fair in the streets. Take someone down to the ground and their friend you did or didn’t see is going to use your head as a soccer ball.

If you knew you’d always be in a one on one fight, coin toss between MT and BJJ.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#21]
BJJ is the hotness right now and might be the best all around for learning.

Is he just looking to be able to defend himself or get fit, have fun, compete, etc?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Bruce Lee was trained in Wing Chun, Escrima, Karate, Boxing, etc.  He was a mixed martial artist if you follow the teachings of his Jeet Kwon Do.
View Quote

Jeet was the first thing that came to mind, if you can find a teacher. Jeet kune do is viciously efficient.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:46:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Gun-fu.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Muay Thai.

People don’t fight fair in the streets. Take someone down to the ground and their friend you did or didn’t see is going to use your head as a soccer ball.

If you knew you’d always be in a one on one fight, coin toss between MT and BJJ.
View Quote

That's a good point. Is traditional boxing a good option?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:49:29 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Is he just looking to be able to defend himself or get fit, have fun, compete, etc?
View Quote

I think he's interested in self-defense since he's on the smaller side. But he's growing so who knows where he will wind up.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:49:36 PM EDT
[#26]
Judo is not on the list. It's done me well. But I am no expert. Tossing someone normally comes as quite a surprise to them.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:49:57 PM EDT
[#27]
I have been doing Krav Maga since 2019 only a yellow belt but it has no nonsense defense and attack built in. Focused on fighting and self defense period no style or competition stuff like other martial arts
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:50:34 PM EDT
[#28]
A combination of Miyagi-do and Westside Story dance fighting.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:51:25 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Gun-fu.

View Quote
100% this.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:56:13 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Any of them will be better than trying to rely on strength and a hot temper.
View Quote

This should have been first post. 100% wisdom here.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:59:01 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
100% this.
View Quote

Not pointing a finger- but I've noticed this trend with guys when it comes to both weight lifting and martial arts...if a guy hasnt trained or lifted weights, and those subjects are brought up- the untrained guy always brings up firearms IMMEDIATELY

"cant out-lift this Glock" "cant submit this pistol" bla bla

Thats some childish ego bullshit and its sad
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:59:03 PM EDT
[#32]
A set of tear off pants and full frontal nudity is my go to technique.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#33]
Rex Kwon Do
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 6:59:54 PM EDT
[#34]
I’d try to find a kali Silat instructor or jkd. Maui Thai is good also.   For those recommending BJJ for self defense you do realize it’s ground fighting right. As several of my old instructors used to say who were black belts in bjj under JJ machado, if you get to this point in a street fight your already fucked.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:00:12 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

That's a good point. Is traditional boxing a good option?
View Quote

Fuck yes it is! Without a doubt it's extremely effective. But he MUST spar (like others have said).
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:00:43 PM EDT
[#36]
He can wrestle for free in high school and its something that can serve him well into the future. Take some outside boxing lessons along with it and he'll be well suited for life if he keeps training. After high school, he can wrestle in college or go to a BJJ gym and feel comfortable. It's really that easy. Nothing else compares to Wrestling/BJJ and some good striking technique mixed in.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:01:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Boxing, Muay Thai, BJJ. Those would be my top 3 recommendations, in no particular order.

I also like Jeet Kune Do. For weapons, Arnis/Kali/Escrima, the Filipino stick fighting art is pretty tough to beat.

Avoid karate, Tai Kwan Do, Aikido and pretty much any of the traditional Japanese or Chinese martial arts. If you want to become an effective fighter, those pretty much suck. I'm also not impressed with Krav Maga, at least the forms I've seen taught in most places here in this country. Much like Aikido, Krav Maga just doesn't measure up when the practitioner is tested under pressure.

Go into it expecting to get out of it what is put into it. Avoid any art that uses a shortcut approach to fighting. There are no short cuts. There is no easy. Fighting is fighting and the only way you are going to out-do an opponent is by out-working him. Those arts that promise you can easily dominate a much larger, stronger, more powerful opponent through some gimmick technique are for the most part complete and total bullshit. The only way to become a proficient fighter is to train to be a proficient fighter. And no matter how good you might get, there's always going to be someone who is better. Some things can be learned. But some people just have skills that make them better fighters. It is what it is. There is no magic. That said, a reasonably competent boxer would beat the living fuck out of your typical untrained street thug. If I were starting over, I'd go into old school boxing first. Once I got good at that, I'd look at BJJ. Between those two things, you can accomplish most of what anyone can reasonably expect to accomplish.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#38]
IMO the instructor is more important than which martial art, especially in parts of the country where you don't have a wide variety of options. I'd rather go to a boxing gym w/ good instructors that regularly turns out state golden glove champions than a McDojo that just happens to teach the current martial art of the month.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:03:56 PM EDT
[#39]
definitely iaido.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:03:58 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I’d try to find a kali Silat instructor or jkd. Maui Thai is good also.   For those recommending BJJ for self defense you do realize it’s ground fighting right. As several of my old instructors used to say who were black belts in bjj under JJ machado, if you get to this point in a street fight your already fucked.
View Quote

Where do you think most fights end up?
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Poll fail. Kobra Kai.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:09:12 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
A combination of Miyagi-do and Westside Story dance fighting.

https://c.tenor.com/tGX8QOfPG8EAAAAM/griddy-dance.gif
View Quote

I'm wondering if we'll get to find out what the "special" Miyagi-do scroll technique is.

Maybe it's actually the  pairs/partner dance fighting!
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:10:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Gun Kata

Equilibrium (12/12) Movie CLIP - Final Fight (2002) HD
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:11:05 PM EDT
[#44]
Seek the teacher.  There must be mental development and not just touchy-smashy.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:11:38 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

I think he's interested in self-defense since he's on the smaller side. But he's growing so who knows where he will wind up.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I am assuming he is still in school.

I have some background with wrestling, boxing and a sprinkling of TKD.

Wrestling is hard as hell, he needs to be super motivated to do it, in my experience, wrestlers are tough as hell and not to be messed with. It certainly isn’t for everyone but if he enjoys it, it could be a great thing for him.

I did some boxing as a teen and a little sparring but as soon as I wanted to compete my parents put an end to it and looking back I don’t blame them. Getting punched in the head really isn’t a great idea.

I did a little TKD, it was fun but there are better arts for self defense.

BJJ seems like a great option. He can work as hard as he wants, without having someone run his dick in the dirt and starve himself to make weight. He can compete if he wants but he doesn’t have to and he will still get benefits. There seem to be a lot of schools and classes available compared to the other arts.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:11:53 PM EDT
[#46]
Puerto Rican Judo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:13:26 PM EDT
[#47]
If you have to pick a single one on the list, BJJ hands down, but having MT or boxing to go along with it would be great. Wrestling and Judo also great.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:13:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

MMA fighters that use good wrestling techniques as a primary way to fight almost usually win.
View Quote

Nobody knows.

There's no evidence that Bruce Lee actually fought anyone in an organized, full contact fight.

Bruce Lee was a superb film star and martial artist.

Chuck Norris and many others of that same generation were also those things, but could also legitimately call themselves fighters.

Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:13:56 PM EDT
[#49]
To answer your question, there is no singular "best" martial art for self defense. They all have pros and cons.

Get him wrestling in school.

I like traditional (Japanese) Jiu-Jitsu.

Add some striking through boxing or Kenpo.
Link Posted: 1/13/2022 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Seek the teacher.  There must be mental development and not just touchy-smashy.
View Quote

Getting smashed is the mental development.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top