Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Jesse Owen.  Lucky Hitler left so he didn't have to shake that sh*thead's hand.
James Thorpe.  Fricking awesome in everything he tried.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:53:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Kevin Van Dam is often overlooked in these discussions.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:53:31 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Michael Jordan is the obvious choice.  But there were plenty of other athletes who were essentially unbeatable at their peak.  Usain Bolt sprinting, Jeremy McGrath at supercross, Tucker Hibbert in Snocross.  
View Quote
Um RC?
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 8:58:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Eddy Merckx

and right now: Nino Schurter in XC racing. 
View Quote
Was gonna say Merckx.

Surprised no one has said Dennis Connor just to be a troll.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:01:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Some years Babe Ruth hit as many home runs as the rest of the American League combined
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:03:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Tiger
Mike Tyson
Babe
Venus
Brady
Jordan
Nicklaus
Bonds
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:03:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If not for cancer and a herniated disk, Lemieux would have made it close
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Great One was a man playing against boys. Most of his records will never be broken.
As you know, Lemieux had a higher points per game average than Gretzky... and unlike Gretzky, could take care of his own
"protection".
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:04:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Michael Phelps. No one else is even close.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Michael Phelps

Michael Fred Phelps II is an American competition swimmer and the most decorated Olympian of all time, with a total of 22 medals in three Olympiads.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, people here do not have much grasp of sport, or history.

Living? Probably Cael Sanderson. Dead, probably Jesse Owens. Owens excelled a lot of events, and owned many world records. Sanderson went undefeated over four years in what is probably the most challenging 1:1 sport.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:09:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Phelps.  solo sport.

although MJ was the first on my mind opening the thread.
View Quote
Good answer right here.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:11:08 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Johnny Weissmuller. A swimmer who apparently never worked out or even tried, just outswam everyone.
View Quote
My grandfather was buddies with him. They were big swimmers , trained together and my grandfather always said that Weissmuller was the strongest and best swimmer he ever saw.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:11:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Eddy Merckx

and right now: Nino Schurter in XC racing. 
View Quote
Came to post this.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#15]
He was after my time, but Jimmie Johnson is a real dominator in nascar. 

John Force was a dominating force (npi) in Funny cars.

Tennis tends to go through dominate eras.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:11:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods, Michael Phelps, Dale Earnhardt, Wayne Gretzky? Someone else?
View Quote

Michael Schumacher.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:12:34 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jordan
View Quote
He basically became the sport.  His name is still on the shoes they all wear and he's been retired for what?  20 years now?  
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:14:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Eh I've got to throw out Mickey Mantle. I still argue there has yet to be another player that offered what he did. Hit balls further than anyone before or after, from both sides of the plate, I'm fairly sure the fastest or one of to 1st base. Had it not been for a freak injury and a self destructive attitude there is no telling what he could have accomplished.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:15:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bo Jackson
View Quote
This
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#20]
Thinking more about it, Rocky Marciano has to be at or near the top.  49-0, 43 KO's.  Fought real contenders.  Defended his title like a man.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:16:13 PM EDT
[#21]
NHL: Gretzky
NFL: Brown
MLB: Young
NBA: Jordan
MLS: Beckham
Swimmer: Phelps
Golf: Palmer
Cycling: Lance
Boxing: Mayweather
MMA: Fedor / Silva
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:18:19 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Secretariat.
View Quote
This guy knows what's up.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:19:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Secretariat - Belmont Stakes 1973
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:20:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I used to live a few houses down from McGrath. My roomate was a pro rider (douchebag) and he wanted to teach me to ride. So he had me start on a mini-bike and zip up a down the block. McGrath was outside and we shot the shit for a bit. Super nice guy.
View Quote
I've heard that from numerous people - in a sport that has plenty of douchenozzles, nice to hear that he and Pastrana are down to earth dudes.

Also, in a more limited timeframe, Mike Tyson and Bo Jackson.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:22:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Micheal Shumacher .
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:24:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Tom Brady
View Quote
Not without cheating . take away the reduced fumbles from deflated balls and knowing what plays the other team is running because of spying and his record falls short of a peewee football team
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:24:48 PM EDT
[#27]
Warren Johnson

"The Professor of Pro Stock"
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:25:35 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Came here to post this. 
View Quote
Me too. Edwin Moses

ETA: From Wikipedia

Edwin Corley Moses is an American former track and field athlete who won gold medals in the 400 m hurdles at the 1976 and 1984 Olympics. Between 1977 and 1987, Moses won 107 consecutive finals and set the world record in the event four times
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:29:01 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Jim Thorpe.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:30:05 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Bo Jackson
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:31:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Dennis connor he pushed world class sailing to catamarans, it never went back to the classic 11 meters
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:32:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Kevin Van Dam is often overlooked in these discussions.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I've heard that from numerous people - in a sport that has plenty of douchenozzles, nice to hear that he and Pastrana are down to earth dudes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I used to live a few houses down from McGrath. My roomate was a pro rider (douchebag) and he wanted to teach me to ride. So he had me start on a mini-bike and zip up a down the block. McGrath was outside and we shot the shit for a bit. Super nice guy.

I got invited to a dealet event in Stillwater, OK one night.  Lots of local riders and some big names were there, Cowboy was supposed to a do kickass stunt but it got rained out.  Anyhow, Pastrana is there and his date was in a trench coat, thong, and pasties.  Sweet.  I got to take a pic with the two and went back to drinking beers.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:34:09 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Michael Schumacher.
View Quote
He also showed early in his career why he was so good . In Hungary in 1998 he ran a string of qualifying pace laps in race trim to have an extra pit stop and win. Also he was for years the highest paid athlete in the world making $80 million a year when the next person who was Tiger woods was making $40 million.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:34:16 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:34:26 PM EDT
[#36]
M.J. hands down. Tiger woods was on his track til the hookers/blow phase set in
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:36:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not.
While Lemiuex had talent and skill, he did not have the head for the game G-Man had.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:37:15 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Tiger
Mike Tyson
Babe
Venus
Brady
Jordan
Nicklaus
Bonds
View Quote
I think Serena dominated more than Venus
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:38:17 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Thinking more about it, Rocky Marciano has to be at or near the top.  49-0, 43 KO's.  Fought real contenders.  Defended his title like a man.
View Quote
My pick also.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Johnny Weissmuller. A swimmer who apparently never worked out or even tried, just outswam everyone.
View Quote
He is the only swimmer on record to never lose a race. That's insane.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:41:39 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Um RC?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Michael Jordan is the obvious choice.  But there were plenty of other athletes who were essentially unbeatable at their peak.  Usain Bolt sprinting, Jeremy McGrath at supercross, Tucker Hibbert in Snocross.  
Um RC?
RC had 48 supercross wins.  JM had 72.  In his prime, he was unbeatable in supercross.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Cy Young set records that will never be broken.
View Quote
I'd take
Ed Walsh
Smokey Joe Wood
3 finger Brown
Christy Mathewson
Walter Johnson
or Rube Waddell over him
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:44:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
RC had 48 supercross wins.  JM had 72.  In his prime, he was unbeatable in supercross.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Um RC?
I lived through the McGrath years.  He was a machine.  RC was too, but I'd give the edge to McGrath.   He was also a whizbang freestyler and all-around psyco.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:46:50 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Not.
While Lemiuex had talent and skill, he did not have the head for the game G-Man had.
View Quote
He scored 1.88 points per game to Gretzky's 1.92. It would have been close.

And Edmonton won the cup the year AFTER Gretzky went to L.A., no way Pittsburgh wins a cup without Lemieux.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:47:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I worked in the Motorsport industry for a while. It was one of the other. Complete douchebag or give you the shirt off his back. No in between. Was weird. 

But it most pro athletes I've met were dicks. High school jocks that never grew out of the phase. Not all. But most. 

The one one exception was pro fighters. All that I met were super humble and super nice. I suspect getting your teeth knocked out on television humbles your ego a bit. Pro fighters, who have the right to be Alpha dicks, never were. 

JME. YMMV. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Here are a few:

Tiger Woods
Michael Jordan
Mike Tyson
Ricky Carmichael
Michael Phelps
Nolan Ryan
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:51:16 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I lived through the McGrath years.  He was a machine.  RC was too, but I'd give the edge to McGrath.   He was also a whizbang freestyler and all-around psyco.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Um RC?
McGrath was the better Supercross racer, but Little Ricky was the better overall racer (Moto/Supercross).
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

McGrath was the better Supercross racer, but Little Ricky was the better overall racer (Moto/Supercross).
View Quote
Seeing Ricky race in person was unreal. Most guys would technique through a set of whoops. 

Ricky would blast full throttle and just skip across the top like a flat stone over water. Insane balls of iron. 
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:54:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Emmit Smith.   Period.
Link Posted: 9/17/2017 9:54:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Eric Heiden, 1980 Winter Olympics at Lake Placid. 5 individual Gold medals, encompassing every distance, from sprints (500M) up through long distance endurance (10,000M) events. The only person to ever do so in the Winter Olympics. And I haven't even gone into his career and dominance aside from the Olympics.

Essentially, imagine if Carl Lewis won every individual running event from the 100 Meters up to, and including, the marathon in a single Olympics. Heiden did that AND he did it against the world's best, as there wasn't a boycott of his games by any of the best competition.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top