BCM
User Panel

Page / 7
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 7:49:18 AM EDT
[#1]
John Brzenk
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:02:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The best athlete of all time is Shaun Palmer because he was a pro in so many different sports. Is there anyone else that reached the highest levels in multiple sports?

Snowboarding
Mountain Biking
Motocross
Pike's Peak winner
Skiing
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:35:11 AM EDT
[#3]
Mike Tyson
Dale Earnhardt
Micheal Phelps
Tiger Woods
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:41:58 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gretzky.
  Phelps

Since I played goal I have to go with Dominik Hasek
View Quote
Hasek was good no doubt but a couple goaltenders that really changed the way the position was played come to mind- Jaques Plante, Tony Esposito, Martin Broduer.
Roy deserves a honorable mention, incredible anticipation of the play.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:48:29 AM EDT
[#5]
I was going to chime in with Serena Williams, but I'd be wrong.  Turns out it's Steffi Graf.

Graf won 22 Slams, the most by any female or male in the sport, recording seven championships at Wimbledon, six at the French Open, five at the U.S. Open and four at the Australian. In 56 Grand Slam events, her record was 282–34 (an amazing 89 percent) with the breakdown being 87–10 at the French, 75–8 at Wimbledon, 73–10 at the U.S., and 47–6 at the Australian.

The 89 percent winning percentage held in her overall singles record as she finished 900–115. She was anchored in the top spot in the Women’s Tennis Association rankings for a record 377 weeks, including 186 consecutive from August 1987 to March 1991.
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:55:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
The Great One was a man playing against boys. Most of his records will never be broken.
View Quote
Wayne Gretzky would be a mediocre player in today's NHL.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 8:57:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Ricky Carmichael.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Rossi is a god.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
in motoGP. Rossi. yes, I know Agostini retired with more championships to his name, but Rossi at this point has more podiums than any other motoGP rider in history and has remained dominant for so long. shame about the broken leg which will almost undoubtedly knock him out for the rest of the season.

https://msmproduction.s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/s3fs-public/content/Valentino%20Rossi/46-valentino-rossi-ita-2017-action-australia-motogp-phillip-island-pre-season-test03977_test2017_ambience.gallery_full_top_fullscreen.jpg
Rossi is a god.
pretty much.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:12:25 AM EDT
[#9]
Eric Grauffel also has 7 IPSC championships, but also 17 French championships and has won 8 USPSA national championship matches. With over 270 IPSC President's medals (L3 or higher match wins), he has dominated longer than Leatham and at 37, will possibly continue at the top for some time more. Leatham has one Senior world champion title (which he claims as his 8th) and could probably easily rack up more senior level 5 trophies (but didn't compete this year).

My money is that if Grauffel continues to compete at top level, when he reaches senior age, he will have at least 4 more IPSC world champion titles (could be more as he is also training rifle these days).
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:22:52 AM EDT
[#10]
Jim Thorpe
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 9:36:15 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
So what?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:07:15 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The best athlete of all time is Shaun Palmer because he was a pro in so many different sports. Is there anyone else that reached the highest levels in multiple sports?

Snowboarding
Mountain Biking
Motocross
Pike's Peak winner
Skiing
View Quote
Babe Zaharias.
Track (and Field) Golf, Baseball, Bowling and any other sport she tried.
Gold and World Record in hurdles.  Gold in Javelin.  Silver in High Jump..1932 Olympics
She made the cut in a men's PGA event.  Twice actually.
Won 10 LPGA events.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:09:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Lance Armstrong - cycling
View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:18:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Daniel Eugene "Rudy" Ruettiger - Played two snaps <2 mins, had one sack and the first player to ever have been carried off the field in ND history.  How many great athletics are instantly known by their nick name only?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If you mean Cael Sanderson from Iowa State - I agree completely.  The guy was 159-0 with 4 NCAA titles.  He absolutely ruled.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
John Smith;

Cael Sanders;

Alexander Karelin.
If you mean Cael Sanderson from Iowa State - I agree completely.  The guy was 159-0 with 4 NCAA titles.  He absolutely ruled.
The man was a beast, no doubt.  But I don't think we can say he was in a different league than Dan Gable.  159-0 is not a great deal different than 181-1.

I think it would be fair to say the two of them dominated freestyle wrestling, each in his own era.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:40:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Bob Gibson in the late 60's. MLB lowered the height of the pitchers mound in response to his dominance.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:42:29 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Eddy Merckx

View Quote
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:54:00 AM EDT
[#18]
Bob Beamon
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 10:57:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Bob Gibson in the late 60's. MLB lowered the height of the pitchers mound in response to his dominance.
View Quote
Good one.

I should have posted that, I'm a Cards fan and have met Gibby.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:02:27 AM EDT
[#20]
Mr. Hockey Gordie Howe

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:14:02 AM EDT
[#21]
M. Tyson
F. Mayweather
J. Owens
M. Jordan
W. Gretzky
M. Phelps
M. Schumacher
R. Federer
M. Navratilova
B. Jackson
T. Woods
B. Smith
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:38:32 AM EDT
[#22]
Going to slightly less known, Adam Ondra, a climber who dominated competitions, then switched to outdoor climbing to complete the hardest climbs ever put up

Or Alex Honnald, who isn't so much strong or dominate, but is doing things that will likely never be done again, speed climbing all the major peaks in Yosemite in astounding time, or solo climbing with no protection the Nose in Yosemite.

Those two are doing things that have never been done before, and may never be repeated
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:42:55 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Mike Tyson
View Quote
This. 80's and 90's Tyson was a fucking killer
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:47:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Danica Patrick

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#25]
Serena Williams

Don't like her, her family, or her politics.
That said, she's the most dominant American athlete in her sport ever.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:56:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Roy deserves a honorable mention, incredible anticipation of the play.
View Quote
Roy gets disqualified for taking an ass kicking from Osgood... and Mike Vernon.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:58:41 AM EDT
[#27]
In my lifetime, Muhamed Ali. 
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 11:59:56 AM EDT
[#28]
Danny Hodge
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:00:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So what?
View Quote
Rules and players were made and bent for him and the NHL vision..

Obstruction helped Wayne Gretzky. I get it, it was needed..

I think there were far better players than he, I am not wrapped around his #'s. Other players were not allowed to have an entire line full of obstructionists..
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:06:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Not even close........Babe Ruth.

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:56:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Roy gets disqualified for taking an ass kicking from Osgood... and Mike Vernon.
View Quote
That's true Bill...
Best hockey fights ever and I watched them both live.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:58:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Kelly Slater.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 1:59:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Lawrence Taylor

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 2:06:16 PM EDT
[#34]
As far as professional team sports go, it's Gretzky and it's not even close.

Coworker and I had this same debate one day.  I can't remember the figures off the top of my head, but look at his points scored compared to his next closest peer.  Then compare that to scoring leaders in the NBA, NFL, or MLB vs their next closest peer and it's not even close.  He was far more dominant than anyone else.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:25:42 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Rodney Mullen is the greatest,most innovative athlete of our lifetime.
View Quote
My kids favorite.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#36]
Joseph Stalin; Murder.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:29:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The Great One was a man playing against boys. Most of his records will never be broken.
I don't disagree with that, but the game has also changed. He is still the greatest ever.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:37:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Bodacious - "The Most Dangerous Bull Ever".  Crushing humans left and right.  "Think you got me?" - "I vill crush yur face".  Just ask Tuff "Got My Face Smashed" Hedeman.

World's Most Dangerous Rodeo Bull- Bodacious

Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:41:51 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
First thought that came to me was Michael Phelps. His biology was perfect for swimming.

Going with MMA it would probably be Jon Jones but he keeps fucking up at every turn and instead of just fighting he gets suspended, waste of talent.
View Quote
And the question will now always loom.  "How much of Jones ability was steroids"?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:45:12 PM EDT
[#40]
David Tubbs

Robbie Leathem
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:48:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
And the question will now always loom.  "How much of Jones ability was steroids"?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
First thought that came to me was Michael Phelps. His biology was perfect for swimming.

Going with MMA it would probably be Jon Jones but he keeps fucking up at every turn and instead of just fighting he gets suspended, waste of talent.
Please dude. Every one of those guys is juiced during training camp. They are doing test, tren and clen to cut and make weight, hgh for recovery, etc.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:48:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Mayweather
Phelps
Prime Fedor
Wladimir Klitschko

Others have mentioned good names.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:49:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Armstrong

His American ingenuity and drive led him to master the European game so dominantly that they had to ban him and strip his titles.
View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:53:24 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Royce Grace
View Quote
For a little while but once people started cross training not so much.  Was nothing special in BJJ either.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:53:32 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:55:30 PM EDT
[#46]
Wayne 'The Great One' Gretzky

The man was light years ahead of everyone in the NHL and his records will never be broken.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 5:59:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

I worked in the Motorsport industry for a while. It was one of the other. Complete douchebag or give you the shirt off his back. No in between. Was weird. 

But it most pro athletes I've met were dicks. High school jocks that never grew out of the phase. Not all. But most. 

The one one exception was pro fighters. All that I met were super humble and super nice. I suspect getting your teeth knocked out on television humbles your ego a bit. Pro fighters, who have the right to be Alpha dicks, never were. 

JME. YMMV. 
View Quote
This. 

Evey fighter I met was cool.   AFAIK Everyone who has met Wanderlei Silva, the man who once had a huge smile on his face while stomping a guys face in is SUPER nice.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:03:13 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Oh, yeah. If Secretariat is included, nobody else is even worth discussing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Secretariat.
This guy knows what's up.
Oh, yeah. If Secretariat is included, nobody else is even worth discussing.
A) Secretariat is a fucking horse, and should not be included.

B) Secretariat ran 21 races and lost 5 of them.  Rocky Marciano fought 49 professional fights and lost 0.  Floyd Mayweather Jr is 50-0.
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:06:13 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Please dude. Every one of those guys is juiced during training camp. They are doing test, tren and clen to cut and make weight, hgh for recovery, etc.
View Quote
So why don't they all get caught?
Link Posted: 9/18/2017 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Lance Armstrong - cycling
Ricky Carmichael - supercross
View Quote
You must have mean motocross.  RC only won 48 supercross races to McGrath's 72.  And Ricky didn't beat McGrath until he was way over the hill.  That's like saying you scored on Jordan when he played for the wizards, way way past his prime.
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top