Page / 11
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:43:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Rhodesian Ridge back...
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:44:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

The true APBT would be a great dog for children.
View Quote
I grew up with a retired, guard-dog trained, brindle pit. He was protective, patient with clumsy kid stuff, and LOVED to hunt squirrels.

My current Airedale dotes on my grand-kids, plays well with other dogs from Yorkie size up (never starts fights and ignores aggression from smaller dogs), tolerates their cat (barely), and has successfully defended himself/our property from dogs up to twice his weight.

Gotta love a good terrier.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I grew up with a retired, guard-dog trained, brindle pit. He was protective, patient with clumsy kid stuff, and LOVED to hunt squirrels.

My current Airedale dotes on my grand-kids, plays well with other dogs from Yorkie size up (never starts fights and ignores aggression from smaller dogs), tolerates their cat (barely), and has successfully defended himself/our property from dogs up to twice his weight.

Gotta love a good terrier.
View Quote
So far Ive had Siberian husky, GSD, Dogo Argentino and Bull terrier among others. The English Bull Terrier is by far both the most playful and most patient with my kids.
Does not like other dogs though and is extremely dominant. Ive had people with every dog you could think of cross the street to avoid it. One person commented it looked like a crocodile with that big ass head of his.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 4:56:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Only a good Pit can beat a bad Pit.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#5]
those things are worthless
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Only a good Pit can beat a bad Pit.
View Quote
Wrong.
Cane Corso and the Neopolitan Mastiff fought lions in the Colosseum of Rome.  The long jowls of the Neo are ideal bait for pits to latch onto.  Then the neo crushes the pit's skull.

ETA:
150 # pit killer.

100 # lion fighter
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My first dogo was purchased from them. What you wrote is deceiving. The challenge was for catching in the plethora of environments and NOT fighting.

Also, didn't you live there? You should know better. They APBT is king down there.
View Quote
I’m interested in a Dogo from them. They’re pretty pricy though aren’t they? @KingRollo
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 5:20:43 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I’m interested in a Dogo from them. They’re pretty pricy though aren’t they? @KingRollo
View Quote
They sure are. I paid $3700 years ago for mine. I am sure they are even more now. Shipping was $600 on top of that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:06:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

i want one of those.

and somebody else can have the doggy.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:09:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24334/8fee210a15fcb4fa21a4340dbbdfccbf_jpg-724318.JPG

i want one of those.

View Quote
She looks just as mean as the doggy.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:15:05 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah, no. I’m really not.

The vast majority of them are unassuming family pets, not real fighters. Tosas, Filas, Presas, Black Russian Terriers, Komondors, Ovcharkas, Tibetan Mastiffs, Cane Corsii, Kangals, etc are breeds that are much higher up the scale of difficulty and potential fallout, not to mention that many of them have also been bred for fighting.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are dog fighting rings the world over. The vast majority of them do not use pit bulls. They opt for larger, more aggressive dogs because they don’t generally have the space limitations and legal issues that are present in the US.

Also, most of the larger livestock guardians could give it a fair shake.

Believe it or don’t, pits really aren’t that big a deal.
You are completely wrong.
Yeah, no. I’m really not.

The vast majority of them are unassuming family pets, not real fighters. Tosas, Filas, Presas, Black Russian Terriers, Komondors, Ovcharkas, Tibetan Mastiffs, Cane Corsii, Kangals, etc are breeds that are much higher up the scale of difficulty and potential fallout, not to mention that many of them have also been bred for fighting.
This has clearly become an emotional issue for you.

Emotion clouds reason.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:16:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/24334/8fee210a15fcb4fa21a4340dbbdfccbf_jpg-724318.JPG

i want one of those.

View Quote
Fuck that, I had a golden retriever as a kid, it was my responsibility to brush the dogs fur weekly, I could fill up grocery bags during the spring and summer. I could only imagine the hair piles from that dogs fur.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:17:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Fuck that, I had a golden retriever as a kid, it was my responsibility to brush the dogs fur weekly, I could fill up grocery bags during the spring and summer. I could only imagine the hair piles from that dogs fur.
View Quote
Only crazy people let CA's inside the house lol.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 6:23:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Those are American Bullies.  I have a pocket who is wonderful.  She's 14" at the shoulder and weighs 60 pounds.  Solid as a fire hydrant.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:20:25 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I don't know much about dogs but if I wanted one dog to protect my family and watch over my kids, the Boerboel would be it.  It was bred to protect farms / families in Africa from wild animals.  My buddy has a huge one and it is all muscle.  It is an amazing animal.  Just watching it eat 6lbs of raw meat bone and all is an awesome site.

The picture above, this looks like a pup, these dogs are massive.
View Quote
You are correct, sir, and their speed is surprising.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:36:02 PM EDT
[#16]
Make no mistake, an actual pitbull, an American Pit Bull Terrier (not an giant-headed monster like the AM BULLY) is pound-for-pound the best fighting dog there is.

Other dogs can beat it, but they'll need to be bigger.  Note not just any dog, but certain breeds.  A standard pitbull is often actually pretty light, 40-50lbs.  Your overweight oversized black lab even tipping the scales at 100 lbs is going to lose, but there are certain breeds that can.  Note often these breeds have pitbull back somewhere in their heritage, or they share a common ancestor
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:37:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Domesticated wolf?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:46:33 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Yeah, you are and this new comment of yours reflects this more.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, no. I'm really not.

Yeah, you are and this new comment of yours reflects this more.
I agree with her.  The dogs she lists have been bred to be very aggressive and fight  other creatures.  Pound for pound pit is still on top but a fighting dog of another breed with enough mass can and do beat pits.  The flip side of it is that sometimes these breeds do fail when fighting a pit.  If the pit manages to get the throat and latches on, and just refuses to get let go sometimes even a large aggressive breed can't get enough purchase the pit to get it off and will just try and try until it is exhausted.  Generally if the bigger dog is going to win, it is going to go relatively short.  If the fight drags on and on with the pit just clamped on and hanging there, then the larger dog is probably going to loose.

ALSO, wolves aren't magic fighting machines.  Evolution has developed them to come up from behind vs deer or similar critters and pull them down NOT to go head-to-head with another canine.  They just aren't all that great at that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:47:08 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

i want one of those.

View Quote
nope nope nope.. that dog would make short work of a pit, looks kinda like bear..

Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:49:30 PM EDT
[#20]
I don't think any other type of dog has the mindset. I believe other breeds try to protect or impress their owners, pit bulls on the other hand are killers.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:49:50 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I always "heard" these dogs could.  I dunno though.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81qa0NB5WpL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote
bull-terrier.

100 years ago they were basically the same thing as APBTs, but have been bred away from that.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:53:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Pack of coyotes.

Guard dog for a local orchard was ripped to shreds by a pack. It was a big, mean, badass Pit and they destroyed it.
View Quote
don't underestimate a swarm.

Just like a pack of wolves can take down a buffalo by attacking the exposed flank, so too a 'mess' of yotes could do the same.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 9:55:26 PM EDT
[#23]
Probably a Karelian Bear Dog...it kills bears in Siberia
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:01:55 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
For the sake of your dogs life, don't ever try to find out.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My Rhodesian would mess a pit up no question.
For the sake of your dogs life, don't ever try to find out.
Seriously, this.  I once witnessed a pitbull kill 2 full grown t-Rex’s and a male lion.  The pit then fucked all of the lionesses and the birthed a strain of invincible pit-lions that eat elephants and rhinos.  Trust me, not to be fucked with.  
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:09:36 PM EDT
[#25]

CIMARRON URUGUAYO
Similar to a dogo actually bred frequently with dogos in uruguay.
This is what I had (pics not mine) he walked all over the neighbors herd of german shepards when they came after my moms boston terrier, another occasion he owned a french mastiff when he came into the backyard. He was as aggressive as all getup when he wanted to be but he did not trigger easy. Mostly dog aggressive.
i could share a few more stories but then it starts becoming unbelievable.

Also maybe a BOERBOEL handsdown one of the meatiest and biggest dogs ive ever seen. My whole family but me is in the veterinary field.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:11:02 PM EDT
[#26]
Lots of folks in this thread thinking about what dogs can kill/hurt something vs what is actually a dog fighting dog.

A .577 Nitro Express double rifle can kill anything on the planet.  It can kill it so hard it dies twice.  Trust me, you don't want to get shot by a .577 NE.

While that is true, the .577 NE double rifle is not a great combat rifle.  It can fuck shit up certainly, but it's not designed for combat.  The same is true with many of these other breeds.  They can mess some shit up, but they aren't purpose built dogs for dog on dog fighting.  It doesn't mean those other breeds can't do damage, but they aren't optimized in size, speed, temperament for dog on dog violence.  Pit bulls are.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:11:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I agree with you.

Pits AND Caucasian Ovcharkas are the only real deal fighting dogs. Some Tosas have victories against them but its more unusual.
View Quote
You left out the Kurdish Kangal which I believe on avg would whip any other dog. Size has it's advantages. Kangal can take the pain, has the extreme desire to be dominant and we're bred for fighting. Add on the fact they may outweigh a pit by #100+ lbs and I'm going Kangal...
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:15:27 PM EDT
[#28]
Turkish Kangal would laugh at a pit, or 2... or 3
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:16:07 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I always "heard" these dogs could.  I dunno though.

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81qa0NB5WpL._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote
They could never beat a Pitbull as they're too busy chasing their tails.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:17:31 PM EDT
[#30]
This dog is basically considered the greatest fighting pit bull of all time, Grand Champion Zebo

He was fought at roughly 43 pounds.  I'm only up to page 2, but most of the stuff posted is ridiculous.  Airedales in open, Bull Terriers, Kangals, Akita's, Tosa's, Rottweilers, blah, the Pit Bull would routinely kill all them giving up anywhere from 20-80 pounds of uphill weight difference.  The only dog I know that routinely can kill Pit Bulls with minimal damage in return is the Caucasian Shepherd.  The Russian version of youtube has a lot of pit bull fights (and a crap ton of virus').  There's even some videos of Pit Bulls shredding wolverines in a minute.

I'm against dog fighting, always have been, but I have had pit bulls since 1981 until 2012, which was the last one I will ever own, but the pit bull was bred not to quit.  Lots of owners think their big dog is killing a pit bull, but some pit bull battles went over 2 hours.  Dogs could lose, but if they were quit, they were culled, the quit was literally bred out of the damned things.  Then Flashdance came out anad suddenly every hood rat wanted one but they wanted them bigger and meaner looking so they bred Mastiff type breeds into them, which are protection dogs, so now you have a none social protection dog that has no quit, a bad combo, hence the current problem.   A true APBT is a problem for an animal with 4 legs, they were never known to be manbiters.  Half that reason is because pit men would kill a man biter since they wouldn't be able to handle it in the pit, not because they were saints.  The one I posted bit a few people, but it was an excite biter more than anything and fought so good they put up with it.

You guys hate  pit bulls so much, and I get it, but with so much hate, you should actually read about them, their history, what the hell happened with the breed, and what the current problem really is.  Not everyone should own one, it took 3 months in 1981 to find my first one, they were rare dogs, now they're everywhere and soccer mom's keep rescuing them to prove "it's not the dog, it's the owner" which is one of the dumbest statements ever.  We breed traits into dogs, you better believe it's the dog, pit bulls have 300 plus years of breeding to do nothing but fight and not quit, those genes are deep in the breed, even with these modern mutants.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:17:38 PM EDT
[#31]
Game bred pit would kill that pussy, GD told me so
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:25:50 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm not sure, but I say put all the worlds Pitbulls in a pit and let them all fight to the death until the last one standing gets finished off by a Charter Arms Bulldog.

Let the Pitbull butt hurt ensue..... but... but he/she is sweet and gentle and wouldn't hurt a fly. Breed of peace and all.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

The true APBT would be a great dog for children.
View Quote
I agree. Dogs need treats too you know?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:32:11 PM EDT
[#34]
I’m fairly confident my Cane Corso wouldn’t have too much issue with one of it came down to it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:35:44 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Sure a 45 lb pit wouldn’t stand against a cougar-but I bet it would destroy a 45lb Bobcat.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love my pitties, but I'm pretty confident it wouldn't stand a snowball's chance in hell against a puma/cougar if we go with a 55lb pit (which is on the high side for the breed standard) and an average sized puma at 135lb (with weights ranging from 115lb to 220lb). You can talk about how pitties were "bred to fight" all you want, but a puma was genetically engineered by nature to fucking kill shit.
Sure a 45 lb pit wouldn’t stand against a cougar-but I bet it would destroy a 45lb Bobcat.
This might be the dumbest post I’ve read today.  You win the internets today, Mr Vick.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:40:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Are Pitbulls the new Taylor Swift of GD?
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:49:23 PM EDT
[#37]
Most people never involved with game bred pit bulls just don't understand these dogs and how tough they are.  They are pound for pound the toughest animal on the planet, bar none.  They may look like they're getting their ass kicked for an hour, then suddenly the big dog "killing" them is screaming it's tail off and just wants to get away but can't.  Animals have instincts to save themselves, flight or fight, the flight has literally been bred out of these dogs, so I guess you can actually call them an abomination of nature.  I love the breed, truly a great breed, but they really need to be out of about 99% of the current owners hands and about 75% of the breed culled.  It needs to go back to the "Your friend and mine" crowd in the country.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:52:43 PM EDT
[#38]
My pit-tay.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 10:58:13 PM EDT
[#39]
Pit bull threads always remind me of living through the '80s Ninja craze.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:15:30 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Pit bull threads always remind me of living through the '80s Ninja craze.
View Quote
Goddammit, you read my mind!

"Ninjitsu is the best and kills karate all day long."
"Wrong! Jujitsu combined with judo is clearly superior!"

If this guy had a dog, I can only imagine what it'd be.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:28:12 PM EDT
[#41]
I'd put my money on Samson, he's REALLY fast and not just for his size, which is huge.  He went head to head with a moose and I thought he was about to be turned into dog mush, but he just kinda slithered around the stomping legs and pushed the fucker back and away til it was far enough from my wife and I.

We do not allow anyone but my wife, saint bernard, or I around him though because he's a protective bastard.  He really is great though, extremely intelligent and an absolute monster.

ETA he has also had encounters with dogs, he has very thick hair around his neck, they dont ever get very far through it

Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:39:52 PM EDT
[#42]
From what I read on here, any rickety gsd owned by a delusional fat slob should do.

Really you people a morons, they use APBTs for a reason they're good at
Fighting. Just like retrievers retrieve and pointers point pitbulls are good at destroying other dogs.

Don't you think if there was a better fighting be dog they wouldn't be using it by now?  There is alot of money riding on these fights they can buy what ever dog they want yet
They still choose an APBT.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:43:10 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Akita. They are bred to fight bears and often do and win!
View Quote
This. They are considered a "primitive" breed, not as domesticated as most and close to their wolf lineage. It's one of the reasons they require an experienced partner (you don't "own" an Akita, you come to a mutually beneficial agreement). They were common not only as bear hunters, but as war dogs. Lots of gas in the tank, one of the most cunning breeds around, they fight smart. If you've ever seen Japanese Police Akitas work, you'd realize Mals and Shepherds are simply their slightly retarded cousins.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:51:44 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
From what I read on here, any rickety gsd owned by a delusional fat slob should do.

Really you people a morons, they use APBTs for a reason they're good at
Fighting. Just like retrievers retrieve and pointers point pitbulls are good at destroying other dogs.

Don't you think if there was a better fighting be dog they wouldn't be using it by now?  There is alot of money riding on these fights they can buy what ever dog they want yet
They still choose an APBT.
View Quote
Has to do with  size of the ring/ environment. Small areas favor small dogs. Open field, a lot of the APBT's advantage is lost.

And for the record, Ovcharkas are not dogs, but rather destructive forces of nature. Strong-willed is an understatement, and they are often larger than their owners. If you own one, your insurance company either doesn't know or has an exclusion clause on anything the monster might do. When pissed off, they are both awesome and terrifying to behold.... like a Cat5 hurricane coming ashore. I'm good with difficult breeds, but I KNOW an Ov is beyond me.

EDIT: I have only had contact with 1 Ov, male with a bad attitude and an asshole owner. Sample of one, but it was a pretty damned unnerving sample. Easily 175-200 pounds.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 11:53:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I'd put my money on Samson, he's REALLY fast and not just for his size, which is huge.  He went head to head with a moose and I thought he was about to be turned into dog mush, but he just kinda slithered around the stomping legs and pushed the fucker back and away til it was far enough from my wife and I.

We do not allow anyone but my wife, saint bernard, or I around him though because he's a protective bastard.  He really is great though, extremely intelligent and an absolute monster.

ETA he has also had encounters with dogs, he has very thick hair around his neck, they dont ever get very far through it

https://beta-static.photobucket.com/images/nn416/Nsw8148/DSC_3035.jpg
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn416/Nsw8148/Dogs/20140416_201030_zpspwjnowl5.jpg
http://i322.photobucket.com/albums/nn416/Nsw8148/Dogs/DSC_2264_zps3b84ee47.jpg
View Quote
Huh, perhaps I was just lucky and the girlfriend I had in highschools dad just was warning me! They had one of those dogs, and I snuck in to see the gf....got caught  and her dad was surprised I got past the dog in the back yard, he scolded me I could have been attacked by their guard dog!

Or the dog just liked me over his dumb ass! The guy was a controlling pos, but that is for another topic.

I really did like that dog though.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:12:57 AM EDT
[#46]
I'm of the opinion that pound for pound a pit can't be beat. Most terriers are tough and have little to no quit in them, but a pit takes that to the extreme. From what I've read a true fighter will carry on, seemingly unharmed, having already sustained fatal wounds. They are natural athletes and built for the fight.

Other much bigger dogs (the hellhound breeds) would probably provide too much physical advantage, and some even larger dogs (Irish Wolfhounds, Caucasian Ovcharkas) would be too much to handle. But the pit's natural tendencies (which don't include human aggression) make them far and away the best fighters.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:16:31 AM EDT
[#47]
Anybody who is interested in dog fighting is a useless fucking hick.

I have mastiffs. They are big,strong dogs,especially the male Mastini,but are exceptionally well socialized to be good dog citizens with anyone and anything they meet. I do not want and would not own an aggressive dog,my dogs need to go to the dog park and play well with everyone and everything, and they do. My boy has never had a problem with another dog and I'm not sure how well he would handle it if he were attacked by a garbage dog. I don't have dogs for protection,they are just companions. If I need to protect my companions then so be it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:22:05 AM EDT
[#48]
Cane corso is what I'd offer against a pit bull.

ETA, Ovcharka equally as well.  Fucking amazing size, speed, power and bite.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:45:48 AM EDT
[#49]
I saw an Akita play Bam Bam with a Pit. I was more than a little impressed.
If you don't understand the reference, The Flintstones is worth watching.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 12:50:12 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Wondering with all the pitbull threads on here , which other type of dog can consistently beat the pit in a death match?
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Page / 11
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top