Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:08:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Total rounds on board are not as important as the gun actually working.....they all have issues
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:18:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I recently saw a documentary where a Top Gun instructor pulled 10.
View Quote

Swiss hornets are rated for 9
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:26:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

The F-16 dies in beautiful fission cloud.

Natives everywhere talk about the pretty cloud in the sky.

Canadians die.

Win. Win. Win.
View Quote

Dat Genie doe

The Voodoo and Delta Dart might've had the terrible Falcon but the Genie made up for it
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 2:57:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Never flew Cs, how often were they flying with live rounds? On the Es, setting the counter to >799 (900 was standard) hydraulically safed the gun.
View Quote
My very limited info on this (which came from one crewman at an air show) is that they always have ammo (even if it's inert projectiles) in the M61 ammo tray because it is needed to balance the aircraft's CG for better stability. He said if they know there's no possibility they'll fire any of it, then it may not even be physically fed into the gun's feeder unit. (Resting short.)
In such instances, the gun would also be mechanically safed (with like 3 different pins).

He also said they do not typically load to 500 rounds (even with the combat ammo) because it's a PITA to get the last segment loaded in there. (I assume they would make the effort, outside of a training environment.)

Edit: Found this regarding the F15
Loading 20mm Rounds into F-15's M61 Vulcan | Universal Ammunition Loading System

Looks like the F16 uses a whole different "ammunition drum" that I assume is easier to load.
https://www.f-16.net/f-16_armament_article5.html
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Swiss hornets are rated for 9
View Quote
So do these various models have a "hard" never-exceed rating, or do they just kinda pick an arbitrary number and advise that to pilots, so as not to induce too much stress on the airframe (and thereby shorten its overall service life)?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:17:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Depends if the F-16 driver has an awesome soundtrack strapped to his leg.
View Quote

Fuck yeah!! Doug Masters for the win!
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:20:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Eagle
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:21:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Dat Genie doe

The Voodoo and Delta Dart might've had the terrible Falcon but the Genie made up for it
View Quote

I seem to recall hearing an interview with a 106 pilot who went into quite a bit of detail about how the Falcon wasn’t actually terrible. It’s awful combat record was the result of a mismatch with onboard computers. The F4s computer especially.

But since the problem was never fixed I suppose one can just say, tomatoe, tomahtoe in this case.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:21:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

SPNI

If it's a classical turning, WW2 style dogfight, F16 all the way

Modern "dogfight" that's BVR? F15
View Quote

So we are using the most up to date versions of all these birds and assuming engagement of 80 years ago?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:25:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
When I was in the navy I was an F-14 plane captain for a while so I spent a lot of time out on the flight line when we were back at the beach.  The hangar next to ours was some sort of skunk works type that had all sort of fighter aircraft.  

My favorite was the F-16.  It was tiny compared to the F-14 and F-15 and even the FA-18.  Just from what I’ve seen from the ground my guess is it can fly circles around the bigger aircraft.  I can’t speak to the weapons systems (only the F14) but I’m certain it remains supreme in maneuverability.
View Quote

Do you actually need to carry fuel and weapons on the 16?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#11]
If you want to get anywhere and do anything you do...
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 3:26:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So do these various models have a "hard" never-exceed rating, or do they just kinda pick an arbitrary number and advise that to pilots, so as not to induce too much stress on the airframe (and thereby shorten its overall service life)?
View Quote

Swiss hornets have their airframe slightly modified.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 9:15:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Never flew Cs, how often were they flying with live rounds? On the Es, setting the counter to >799 (900 was standard) hydraulically safed the gun.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have worked C's for a long time, I always see 880 as the number. I need to ask them why.
Also I've noticed that when they are ferrying with 3 tanks and travel pods the round count will be really low, like REALLY low. Weight is my guess, they seem to struggle to get off the deck in full burner (I know better but you get my drift).

Always live, pins removed at EOR. The Aggressors fly inert I believe for ballast.
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 10:00:04 PM EDT
[#14]
What if you throw one of these in the mix?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2023 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
What if you throw one of these in the mix?

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/111848/IMG_0815_jpeg-2860773.JPG
View Quote

It wasn't built for dogfighting, so not great on that front.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 4:08:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I have worked C's for a long time, I always see 880 as the number. I need to ask them why.
Also I've noticed that when they are ferrying with 3 tanks and travel pods the round count will be really low, like REALLY low. Weight is my guess, they seem to struggle to get off the deck in full burner (I know better but you get my drift).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Look up F-15C

940 rounds

I have flown with 3 tanks, full gun, and full load of 8 missiles.

It gets of the ground just fine.

I flew it for 15 straight years and not once did I ever takeoff without a full gun with 940 rounds. Not once, even training. We kept them full all the time. One less thing to load if you need to fly with weapons.

I did land with an empty gun a few or more times.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 4:09:40 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I flew As and Cs for 15 straight years, every single time I took off it had a full 940 rounds.
Link Posted: 6/26/2023 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I flew As and Cs for 15 straight years, every single time I took off it had a full 940 rounds.
View Quote

Guns on Es were only loaded the day of, sometimes day prior, planned use.  Majority of training flights went with empty guns.
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top