Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Alien had probably the best movie poster and tag line of any movie, ever.
But Aliens is my fav of the series, by far.

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/1OQAAOSwZVJax~ih/s-l1600.jpg
View Quote

Alien gets a nod because it was first and groundbreaking.  Aliens is a better movie, but it had a script to follow.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Alien if you like horror

Aliens if you like action

Alien is best IMO.  Best atmosphere.  Best cast.  Best scares.  No screaming girl.
View Quote

Agreed. That scene where the synthetic (Ian Holme) went murdery all the sudden was likely the most shocking start of the whole film. Even more surprising and scary than the Alien. I read Holme died recently. I'm not much for celebrity worship, but that guy made my short list of top tier actors.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
My ranking of best to worst is in the order they were released. I like them all quite a bit though.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#4]
There are only two Alien movies.

Alien and Aliens.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:05:05 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

This.

I have a very hard time choosing between them, because they’re both amazing, but they’re very different movies.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
there's only 2 Alien movies and they're both great.

This.

I have a very hard time choosing between them, because they’re both amazing, but they’re very different movies.

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:05:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Agreed. That scene where the synthetic (Ian Holme) went murdery all the sudden was likely the most shocking start of the whole film. Even more surprising and scary than the Alien. I read Holme died recently. I'm not much for celebrity worship, but that guy made my short list of top tier actors.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alien if you like horror

Alien is best IMO.  Best atmosphere.  Best cast.  Best scares.  No screaming girl.

His innards gross me out more than gory horror intestines for some reason
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:26:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Alien is not just the best in the series, it’s my favorite movie of all time. It’s essentially a perfect haunted house movie wrapped in a terrifying science fiction tale based on a body horror foundation. The pacing, character development, cinematography and conclusion are simply perfect. I love Aliens and Alien 3 (the assembly cut), but Alien is seminal. The creature alone is so distinct from the other films - it’s got a cold intelligence that isn’t present in Cameron’s or Fincher’s movie, which relegate the Alien to essentially an animal - an oversized ant to be specific. The mystery in Alien also works so well - it never explains the Alien or the Jockey/Derelict ship - the Alien is just this horrible nightmare that exists in the darkness of space. The more that gets explained, the less the mystery adds to the fear and anxiety.
View Quote

I knew i was going to love the rest of the film early on. The clue was in the detail of equipment wear in the ship...the used/worn look of things.

As to the creature. They totally ripped off an artist named Giger for all things Alien, all the way to Prometheus. I think Scott hired him for designs in the first film, but they ran with his style in later films. First time i saw Giger's strange work was in Omni magazine in the late 70s. The guy could generate nightmare fuel, but it was very distinct and creative. If you've seen a Giger painting, you know it.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:44:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

As to the creature. They totally ripped off an artist named Giger for all things Alien, all the way to Prometheus. I think Scott hired him for designs in the first film, but they ran with his style in later films. First time i saw Giger's strange work was in Omni magazine in the late 70s. The guy could generate nightmare fuel, but it was very distinct and creative. If you've seen a Giger painting, you know it.
View Quote

???

They didn't rip him off - he was an integral part of the production, and won an Oscar in 1980.

Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I knew i was going to love the rest of the film early on. The clue was in the detail of equipment wear in the ship...the used/worn look of things.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Alien is not just the best in the series, it’s my favorite movie of all time. It’s essentially a perfect haunted house movie wrapped in a terrifying science fiction tale based on a body horror foundation. The pacing, character development, cinematography and conclusion are simply perfect. I love Aliens and Alien 3 (the assembly cut), but Alien is seminal. The creature alone is so distinct from the other films - it’s got a cold intelligence that isn’t present in Cameron’s or Fincher’s movie, which relegate the Alien to essentially an animal - an oversized ant to be specific. The mystery in Alien also works so well - it never explains the Alien or the Jockey/Derelict ship - the Alien is just this horrible nightmare that exists in the darkness of space. The more that gets explained, the less the mystery adds to the fear and anxiety.

Geiger worked on Alien.  He helped design not just the aliens but also the set design and props.

I had the chance to purchase a painting of his when I was a college student in Zurich.  I should have bought it.  It was a landscape that didn't have any of the psycho-sexual biomechanic content.  It was still typical Geiger though.  One of the few purchase regrets of my life...
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:52:39 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Thank god for rewrites. That's retarded.

Kharn
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ridley Scott was a genius.

While looking for something else tonight, I found a story about how Scott wanted to end Alien. The studio didn't like his ending.

Scott was going to have Ripley lose to the alien, the alien punching holes in her helmet and ripping off her head.

I read it, don't know how true it is.

In an interview with Entertainment Weekly in 2017, Scott talked about his original ending idea that was never filmed. He felt that the idea of the Nostromo blowing up and Ripley getting on the shuttle was a flat ending. Instead, when Ripley discovered the alien onboard and hit the buttons to open the airlock, what played out next would have altered movie history. With the alien hanging onto the door, Scott said, "She harpoons it, it makes no difference. It comes forward and it slams through her mask and rips her head off." Then Scott would have cut to the alien's hand going to the controls, and mimicking Tom Skerritt's voice perfectly, it would say, "I'm signing off."

That ending would have been dumb as shit.

Thank god for rewrites. That's retarded.

Kharn

Great art requires editors, as well as constraints upon the genius's vision.  

The stories of what George Lucas wanted to do with Star Wars instead, in the first two movies....Well, we got that proven by the prequels, didn't we?
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:54:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Aliens is a better movie than Alien but I enjoy both equally.

The only "Alien" franchise movie I truly dislike is the one with Wynona Rider and butt face from Sons of Anarchy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:55:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 4:57:16 PM EDT
[#13]
I want to find someone to paint my Buffalo drill presses with Alien nose-art

Stock photo
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:56:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
@alien
View Quote
@Keekleberrys

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
None. The Alien movies and all other movies in the same universe suck.
View Quote
Why would you say such a terrible and awful lie? Do you deny that we went to the moon? Do you deny that the Earth is a sphere? Why would you say that? Why?

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:04:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Horror-Scifi nerd thread.

I voted Aliens.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 3:32:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Alien.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 4:47:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Sigourney Weaver flashing her titties.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 5:23:04 AM EDT
[#19]
Alien.  

Aliens is good, but I would like it so much better if they removed all of Newt’s scenes from the movie.  I also don’t like the fact that the violence is mostly just shooting xenomorphs and all the character kills are pretty much off screen except Bishop who didn’t actually die.  It would be PG-13 nowadays.

The director’s cut of Alien 3 is good and I would honestly rather watch it than Aliens.

Resurrection is mostly bad, but had some okay special effects.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 5:31:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Alien if you like horror

View Quote

They really were two completely different movies.  Both were excellent, for different reasons.  It's hard to pick a favorite, but I'd have to go with Alien.  I'm more into psychological horror than shoot-em-up action flicks.

Not saying Aliens was anything but great.  But Alien is a classic horror movie that stands the test of time. Hard to believe it was released 44 years ago.  God I'm old...
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 6:21:19 AM EDT
[#21]

rumor is he actually cut him in that scene.

has one of the best, short lines in a movie as well: "Get away from her, you bitch!"
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 6:24:58 AM EDT
[#22]
First two are both the best.

You are all wrong about 3, it’s very under rated.

I’ve even grown to like 4 after repeat viewings
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 8:29:49 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I disagree.
3 completely destroyed the emotional continuity created by 1 & 2 (ie: humans manage to survive, perhaps at great cost, but they manage to survive).
There was no need to kill Newt & Hicks, they could have continued on in cryo w/o affecting the plot in any way.
Then, there are the massive plot holes in the beginning:
Queen managed to lay an egg in the short time up from LV426's surface after just losing her entire reproductive organ?
Said egg just decided to spit out its facehugger w/o any host victims nearby to activate it?
Said facehugger just wandered around the Sulaco until it somehow detected Ripley in cryo?
Said facehugger *broke* Ripley's cryo tube instead of burning its way through like it did in 1?
Said facehugger somehow implanted 2 embryos (dog & Ripley) instead of dying after implanting 1?
A little splash of acid was enough to overwhelm all the safety features of the cryo bay, thus requiring the bay to be *jettisoned* into space (what if no habitable planet nearby, yeah, that makes a lot of sense)?

3 had the potential but didn't deliver in the end.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:31:49 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:35:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:40:10 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I disagree.
3 completely destroyed the emotional continuity created by 1 & 2 (ie: humans manage to survive, perhaps at great cost, but they manage to survive).
There was no need to kill Newt & Hicks, they could have continued on in cryo w/o affecting the plot in any way.
Queen managed to lay an egg in the short time up from LV426's surface after just losing her entire reproductive organ?
Said egg just decided to spit out its facehugger w/o any host victims nearby to activate it?
Said facehugger just wandered around the Sulaco until it somehow detected Ripley in cryo?
Said facehugger *broke* Ripley's cryo tube instead of burning its way through like it did in 1?
Said facehugger somehow implanted 2 embryos (dog & Ripley) instead of dying after implanting 1?
A little splash of acid was enough to overwhelm all the safety features of the cryo bay, thus requiring the bay to be *jettisoned* into space (what if no habitable planet nearby, yeah, that makes a lot of sense)?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I disagree.

Exactly.

3 was "Let's combine the stories from the first two movies, but instead of setting it on a spaceship or a colony, it'll be a PRISON!"

25 years later, The Walking Dead writers watched Alien 3 and then said "Hey, we should do this in our show!".

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:47:08 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Exactly.

3 was "Let's combine the stories from the first two movies, but instead of setting it on a spaceship or a colony, it'll be a PRISON!"

25 years later, The Walking Dead writers watched Alien 3 and then said "Hey, we should do this in our show!".

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
You are all wrong about 3, it's very under rated.
I've even grown to like 4 after repeat viewings

I disagree.

Exactly.

"not only should it be a prison, but every character should be totally unlikable!"
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:47:55 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Well said
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:48:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Alien is the better movie in terms of the art form of film making

Aliens is the more enjoyable popcorn movie

Alien 3 is OK but it's fundamentally a remake of Alien.  If it had came out first, it probably would have been a moderate success in it's own right.  I think that most of the hate it gets boils down the fact that it wasn't the sequel people wanted and did very little to move the story forward when you are taking it in as a part of a trilogy.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 12:58:32 PM EDT
[#30]

Ripley had a body like my ex girlfriend except my girlfriend had bigger boobs.  Alien for the win with Ripley getting into her space suit in the end.  

Also my girlfriend said that choice of underwear didn't seem practical on a space mission.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#31]
Alien 3 isn’t as bad as people make it out to be, and I’ll die on that hill.

Honestly with how much studio interference there was with Fincher, it’s amazing the movie is even watchable.

Is it better than Alien or Aliens, fuck no BUT, it’s not the huge pile of dogshit people make it out to be and honestly has the best Xeno design in the series. It's also dark, bleak and nihilistic as hell, which I kind of prefer.

Also, the assembly cut of Alien 3 is head and shoulders the better movie than the release. There's a shit load more character development and plot points that make the movie make more sense.

I didn’t agree with the weird egg on the Sulaco though, but killing off Hicks and Newt, while unfortunate, mirrors real life where you don’t get plot armor just because.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:43:38 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
killing off Hicks and Newt, while unfortunate, mirrors real life where you don't get plot armor just because.
View Quote

This is a sci-fi movie with aliens that have acid for blood, not a documentary
Killing them off may mirror real life, but real life sucks and the beginning of 3 made almost everyone say "what the fuck" because they were invested in those characters, which as noted above were instrumental in Ripley's character development.

You wanna die on this hill, we'll oblige 3 is dogshit on a stick.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:50:14 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Killing them off may mirror real life, but real life sucks and the beginning of 3 made almost everyone say "what the fuck" because they were invested in those characters, which as noted above were instrumental in Ripley's character development.

View Quote

I think one of the big themes of the Alien series is that its basically a force of nature. You can't run from it, you can't hide from it, and it's always going to win.

I think that's what they were going for in 3 is the only way Ripley was going to win was to sacrifice herself to stop it and there was going to be no happy ending in it for her.

Do I realize how shitty it is to kill off primary characters from Aliens? Hell yes. Do I think it made the entire sequence of Ripley going into the hive to rescue Newt pointless? Yes. Do I think it shit all over the ending of Aliens? Yes, but that said, I think the movie's intention was to take it back to a darker place.

Like I said, it's not better than Alien or Aliens but I firmly believe it's a worthy end of Ripley's story of sacrificing every single thing to stop the Xeno and the Company.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:54:14 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I think one of the big themes of the Alien series is that its basically a force of nature. You can't run from it, you can't hide from it, and it's always going to win.

I think that's what they were going for in 3 is the only way Ripley was going to win was to sacrifice herself to stop it and there was going to be no happy ending in it for her.

Do I realize how shitty it is to kill off primary characters from Aliens? Hell yes. Do I think it made the entire sequence of Ripley going into the hive to rescue Newt pointless? Yes. Do I think it shit all over the ending of Aliens? Yes, but that said, I think the movie's intention was to take it back to a darker place.

Like I said, it's not better than Alien or Aliens but I firmly believe it's a worthy end of Ripley's story of sacrificing every single thing to stop the Xeno and the Company.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I hear what you're saying, but IMO it just doesn't make for a good movie.

Luckily we don't have to like the same things, even if you're wrong
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 1:57:02 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I definitely know the feeling of being ostracized for liking this movie

But agreed, different strokes for different folks.

My favorite one is still Aliens and it's not even close - my only minor gripe with it was it turned the Xeno into more bug-like and mindless, than a focused stealthy uber apex killing machine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#36]
@Alien
@RarestRX

Where ya'll getting these M-41A's from??? Details man!
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:01:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Ripley had a body like my ex girlfriend except my girlfriend had bigger boobs.  Alien for the win with Ripley getting into her space suit in the end.  

Also my girlfriend said that choice of underwear didn't seem practical on a space mission.
View Quote
Your ex-GF has a lot to learn about the 13yo male mind.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:03:25 PM EDT
[#38]
Since we’re doing Alien related stuff…

In my (according to my wife) ‘nerd’ room:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:11:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:21:52 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
@Alien
@RarestRX

Where ya'll getting these M-41A's from??? Details man!
View Quote

Mine are both these:

https://www.evike.com/products/37490/

So full auto airsoft (yes, the counter works, and yes it's fucking awesome).

Mine have been modded to get rid of the red shotgun shell and put a screen accurate pulse grenade in:

I also modded that one with the Desert Storm paint/markings.

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Since we’re doing Alien related stuff…

In my (according to my wife) ‘nerd’ room:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102803/IMG_4804_jpeg-3064486.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/102803/IMG_4803_jpeg-3064487.JPG
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:32:02 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

My favorite one is still Aliens and it's not even close - my only minor gripe with it was it turned the Xeno into more bug-like and mindless, than a focused stealthy uber apex killing machine.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I actually have always felt the same about Aliens, though I still love it.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#43]
View Quote

Wow cool. I have that Lego Star Destroyer too
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:33:16 PM EDT
[#44]
Whichever one has stronk womyn as the lead.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:35:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Aliens.

One of the few times the sequel is better than the first.
View Quote
For sure, and considering how good the first was, it's definitely an anomaly.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:39:46 PM EDT
[#46]
Alien for atmosphere and pure horror.

Aliens for pure action.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:43:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I voted Alien,
but choosing between
Alien and Aliens
is like choosing between
two of your children.

The Alien series ended with
Aliens.  Everything else has
been progressively worse.
View Quote

Yeah, tough call between the two.  The third and 4th were watchable, but nowhere near 1 & 2.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:49:44 PM EDT
[#48]
Aliens

Alien

Alien Resurrection

I don't acknowledge that other one on the list.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yup - given the context of when Alien came out (1979!) it’s even more amazing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2023 2:52:47 PM EDT
[#50]
I enjoyed the first one.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top