Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/14/2022 1:49:57 PM EDT
Thinking about picking up a Century Arms imported MP 5 clone made in Turkey.  Shop has the MP5K clone with threaded barrel, side folding brace and a shield rds.  They also have the full size MP5 clone same set up, side folding brace Shield rds.   They are the same price.   Which model would you go for?  I can't purchase both.

Regards
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same dilemma and went with the K version.   I still kinda want the full size though.

(mine was a PTR though)
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:52:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Get both.

But, if I can only get one, I would go with the MP5K for maximum portability.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:53:02 PM EDT
[#3]
K for me, if the SD is not an option
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:53:08 PM EDT
[#4]
I was open to a K or standard size when I was looking, mostly because I plan on having both even if I couldn't afford both at once.  I found the deal I wanted on a K first so I went with that.  If I thought I'd never buy a second one I might have preferred a standard size but now that I've had the K a while I think I could be happy with just that too.  

Sorry that's not much help
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:53:27 PM EDT
[#5]
What does the bigger one do that the smaller one doesn't?
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:53:30 PM EDT
[#6]
What price are you seeing Op?  I would go full size Mp5 myself.  PTR-91 owner here.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:53:32 PM EDT
[#7]
I bought and Registered the K as an SBR because of the compact size and lesser weight (its still quite heavy). I bought it to suppress, and the overall length with a can is much shorter than the standard MP5.

Accuracy is excellent with the shorter barrel, as in one ragged hole at 25 yards and under a dime at 100 yards, from a sandbag. I really can't ask for much better honestly.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:53:35 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd want a 7 or none at all.

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:53:57 PM EDT
[#9]
I’ve got both PTR sizes but the K is nice too without a brace sometimes.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

But, yeah get both.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:54:12 PM EDT
[#10]
I actually like the standard. The K version, for me at least, is almost too small in terms of area you have to grip or mount lights.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:54:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
You might get a few more FPS out of the longer barrel.  Otherwise, I think the bigger one looks like the bigger one.  The smaller one doesn't look like the bigger one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:56:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Which one fits under a coat better? Get that one.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:56:43 PM EDT
[#13]
In before the poll.

Full side, SBR'd with full stock. SD would be best version though.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Which one fits under a coat better? Get that one.
View Quote

TP9.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:58:01 PM EDT
[#15]
K
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 1:59:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I actually like the standard. The K version, for me at least, is almost too small in terms of area you have to grip or mount lights.
View Quote

Once you SBR it, and add the vertical foregrip, as it was designed to have, grip area is not an issue. there are several good light mount options I have found. But of course its all personal preference of course.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:00:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quieter suppressed and more Die Hard correct for watching every Christmas.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:00:43 PM EDT
[#18]
I owned a K clone, if I was getting another, which I hope to do someday, it'll be a standard size.

Sold the K clone and bought both a CZ Evo AND a PSA AKV from the proceeds and still had cash leftover
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:01:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Much prefer the standard myself.  Plus it’s what John McClane used.

ETA: If you do plan to suppress you’ll probably want to buy the locking piece for the k version that as I last remember are hard to find.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:01:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Stop being poor and buy an H&K.  Anything else is a compromise.

I have an MKE full size from back when ATI was importing them.  I made it into an SBR.  I think I paid $900 for it, so at least it was a good deal.  At the time, there was no hope that H&K was ever going to start importing roller lock guns again.

I also have an H&K SP5K.  There is really no comparison between them in terms of quality, fit, and finish.  I am stuck with the MKE since it is an SBR, but it is kind of gross.  H&K is worth the scratch.

For shooting, the full size platform is better.  The cool thing about the K is that is easy to carry around.  With a brace on it it is legal to CCW.

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:01:43 PM EDT
[#21]
I will say, it can be tough to mount a light on the K version.  I  ended up going with a Streamlight TLR RM1 on a offset mlock mount on my K.  ran the pressure pad around the other side to just under the Cocking handle

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:02:15 PM EDT
[#22]
I would get a fullsize with a pistol brace. Then save money and get a K size with brace.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:02:42 PM EDT
[#23]
MP5k. Packs better for carry-on

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#24]
I have both, definitely prefer the full size. Buy an SP5 while you can.

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#25]
I have both.  I guess it depends on how you want to use it, if you're going to use a red dot sight, and if you're planning on suppressing it.

Both are more fun than the feds think you should have.  Both mine are SBRs.  

Here are some "K" pics (not mine) with the Safety Harbor stock -- very compact when collapsed, the stock bars remind me of an M3 Grease Gun or Daewoo K1.  I sold my solid-functional bulky B&T folder -- the Safety Harbor is how it should have been designed:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:24:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Once you SBR it, and add the vertical foregrip, as it was designed to have, grip area is not an issue. there are several good light mount options I have found. But of course its all personal preference of course.
View Quote

I agree, the original K grip is almost mandatory.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:26:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I had the same dilemma and went with the K version.   I still kinda want the full size though.

(mine was a PTR though)
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:29:17 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't think quartercircle10 has a K yet, but I'd wait for it and save the money....
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:32:14 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
You might get a few more FPS out of the longer barrel.  Otherwise, I think the bigger one looks like the bigger one.  The smaller one doesn't look like the bigger one.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well then, if I could only have one i'd get the smaller one.  Smaller, lighter, more easily concealed.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:32:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

(mine was a PTR though)
View Quote

Same in reverse.

I went with the full size over the K because I specifically did NOT want to SBR it (I have a SBR Uzi and 11.5" AR). As a pistol, the MP5K has one inch more barrel length than my 92FS and didn't "feel" that much smaller than the full size when I held them together (the shop had both). I also figured I'd be forever annoyed by the lack of K grip. I could get the full size closer to a "real" MP5 without paperwork.

Now, had I wanted to SBR it, I would've totally gone with the K because of the grip.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:33:30 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Thinking about picking up a Century Arms imported MP 5 clone made in Turkey.  Shop has the MP5K clone with threaded barrel, side folding brace and a shield rds.  They also have the full size MP5 clone same set up, side folding brace Shield rds.   They are the same price.   Which model would you go for?  I can't purchase both.

Regards
View Quote
The Turk ones are on sale right now through Atlantic.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:34:40 PM EDT
[#32]
The K is sexier than the standard, but the SD is sexier than the K.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:38:23 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
For me it just gives you some different stock and handguard options.

I wanted a SF handguard and classic stock, so I went full size.

The Ks are really cool though, and I'd love to have one of those too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:48:34 PM EDT
[#34]
The full size MP5 has all the magic in it

The K still has some magic left and a ton of cool accessories. I do feel it has a bit more muzzle flip as well as not as accurate, but still plenty accurate. Might really just come down to sight radius.

Either way you go youll be happy imho

I feel I lean full size if one was only going to get one of them. You might as well get the version that will make you understand why everyone loves it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:50:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Feels.. right

Hard to describe, just better balanced.

Get both is the best answer
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:00:51 PM EDT
[#37]
K all the way ese.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:04:04 PM EDT
[#38]

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:05:12 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
I will say, it can be tough to mount a light on the K version.  I  ended up going with a Streamlight TLR RM1 on a offset mlock mount on my K.  ran the pressure pad around the other side to just under the Cocking handle

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171734/9FC58D53-3E4F-4D7E-979E-E0A4C136CD4D_jpe-2240124.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/171734/5E654366-17D3-45C6-8BFF-DDB74330935E_jpe-2240125.JPG
View Quote

MP5k: Front Sight Tower Rail Mount

MP5k: Front Sight Tower Rail Mount
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#40]
Get the K. I don't know why other than personal preference. LOL.

I will say, that the K will likely have more muzzle rise than the standard due to weight, alone.  However, you have to remember, the recoil even on the K is extremely negligible.

After shooting my K against an EVO, it was just way too obvious that the roller delayed blowback is the way to go.  That EVO is still a cool little gun, especially for the price, but the SP/MP's just do it all much better.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:19:53 PM EDT
[#41]
I said I couldn’t afford both too, but here I am now…..

Get both.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:21:46 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:23:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote
Recoils less. Longer sight radius
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:23:56 PM EDT
[#44]
You want both, but you want to start with the iconic, archetype of the entire line.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:25:58 PM EDT
[#45]
The brass is always greener with HK. Doesn't matter which you start with. You'll want the other. They are just different enough.

I went with MP5 and have a place for a K.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:28:37 PM EDT
[#46]
I have the full size MP5 (HK94 converted to MP5 spec by TSC + a Fleming sear in a 4-pos trigger pack) no doubt that is what I wanted first. It is also the gun I shoot suppressed.

Then I purchased an SP5k (the early true “k” gun not a PDW).

I really enjoy owning them both but the full size would be my keeper, if I had to choose.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:28:58 PM EDT
[#47]
I vote the fullsize it just feels better and the K I always felt cramped up on it but I also have long arms and big hands.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:29:56 PM EDT
[#48]
i went with the K.

Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#49]
+1 on Get Both

An MP5K reverse stretch

MP5 receiver with K barrel and cocking tube.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 3:34:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

More hand guard
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top