Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Posted: 4/21/2021 12:28:08 PM EDT
My 07 F150 has 215k miles and is acting up. Coils and plugs keep burning up and the trans seems to be going out.

I dont tow anything big, never will.

Between the Tacoma, Colorado and Ranger, what would you get? Do you have either? Do you like yours?

What is the best 4x4 of the three under $40,000? Even tho i want a 4x4, this will be a daily driver to work and will only see light off roading for hunting and bad weather.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:29:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Of those, I would probably go with the Ranger.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:29:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
My 07 F150 has 215k miles and is acting up. Coils and plugs keep burning up and the trans seems to be going out.

I dont tow anything big, never will.

Between the Tacoma, Colorado and Ranger, what would you get? Do you have either? Do you like yours?

If you're going smaller truck, 2022 Nissan Frontier smokes them all.
What is the best 4x4 of the three under $40,000? Even tho i want a 4x4, this will be a daily driver to work and will only see light off roading for hunting and bad weather.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:30:42 PM EDT
[#3]
2022 F350 6.7 Tremor

You can never have enough truck
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:32:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Drive them and see what you think. Other people's opinions don't really matter if you hate driving it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#5]
Of those the ranger is the best truck, followed pretty close by the Colorado.  I’m sure all the Toyota fanbois will be in here pretty quick to tell you about how awesome their Tacoma’s are but if you actually go drive all three of them there is no comparison.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:35:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Whichever one you can get the best deal on that you also don't mind driving. Or whichever one fits a niche you like. Want a diesel? Colorado. Manual transmission? Tacoma. Torque of the diesel but the horsepower of the v6? Ranger.

Drive them all because they all have their quirks, and someone on the internet telling you that you'll get used to it always leads to buyers remorse.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:36:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I'd strongly look at the Ranger, but drive all 3 and see how you like them.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:38:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Are there any particular options that you really want? For instance the ranger does not come in a full size cab/"long" bed combo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:40:36 PM EDT
[#9]
If you don't have a specific need for the mid-size, get another F150.

If you have decided that the smaller size is needed, of those, I would probably get the Ranger, but YMMV with personal preference and availability.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:43:14 PM EDT
[#10]
I agree with drive all three first and make sure to drive them with the packages you are wanting to buy into. If you want old, outdated, and underpowered, get the Tacoma. Otherwise I'd probably get the Ranger but my bitch with that is they only have one bed configuration at the moment.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:45:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Can you wait for the new Nissan Frontier?
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:48:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Tacoma seems to be the go to. Years ago I was deciding between a Tacoma and frontier and decided the Tacoma was the one to get. Then I bought a Ram... ha. I drove a Tacoma 2 years ago though and liked it well enough.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:50:55 PM EDT
[#13]
All of those have cramped shitbox interiors tighter than a Honda Civic. Comfort isn't good, storage sucks, and there's no room for adults in the back seat.

Tell us what you mean by "light offroading."

I'd say it's still hard to beat the value of a half ton, and if you want something smaller and cheaper that'll never tow, the answer is probably... Honda Ridgeline.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:52:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Gladiator
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:54:46 PM EDT
[#15]
I drove or owned the tacoma and colorado, I wouldn't own either again.
This is just my opinion on both trucks

Colorado was a issued daily driver fo rme, drive it about 9-11 months. Backseats were horrible, anyone back there complained about buckboard seats. Valve train noise, TPMS sensor had to be reset by dealer for some reason.  Good power, but very plastic looking interior.

Taco: I bought a 3.5l TRD sport with manual gear box, averages 13 mpg, 15mpg on the freeway.  Most of the gears were not setup for NM-TX, and I almost never could use the top gear unless I was doing 90mph.  The absolute worst engine/trans combo I have ever driven. First was tall, 2nd was a good jump followed by having to rev to 5500rpm so it would go and so on and so forth.  Hated it enough I swapped into the 4runner.  

I have a Titan now, and it rips. I can get a post burnout with my camper shell and still 14mpg.  Nissan interior is brittle plastic and doesn't seem to last long, otherwise solid rig.  I'm in the market for a GX460 now.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:58:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All of those have cramped shitbox interiors tighter than a Honda Civic.
View Quote

No they don't.  I just drove a 2019 Tacoma... it's more spacious than my Accord- in the front anyway. I'm a pretty big dude.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Test drive them all, OP. See what you can do with pricing.

I drive a 2019 Ranger Sport 4x4. Obviously the vast majority of the time it is on the road. Before I did things like bigger tires, changing the skid plate, and leveling kit, it consistently got about 26 MPG on 87 on my commute (very little stop and go). Now with all that stuff added and about 57k miles, it still gets about 21+ MPG on 87. Even now with the few mods and a fair amount of off-roading, it still drives perfectly smooth.

I paid about $35k at 0% for it in 2019.

My ONLY problem was (as far as I can tell at this point) my fault--I killed an alternator not paying attention to how dirty and deep some water crossings were in Arkansas Ozarks. This picture is tame compared to the crossings that I think did it, but you can see I hit way too fast:

Attachment Attached File

Other than that, I love the thing.

Attachment Attached File

ETA: I am 6'2" and about 290. I am very comfortable in the Ranger. I have driven to Kansas City or the Ozarks in Missouri and Arkansas from Florida multiple times in the last two years comfortably.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:05:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I was dead set on a Tacoma until I test drove the Ranger. Took delivery of my 2021 XLT last month and couldn't be happier.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Drive them and see what you think. Other people's opinions don't really matter if you hate driving it.
View Quote

This.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:10:22 PM EDT
[#20]
The Ranger for enjoyment, the Tacoma for resale value. Pick whichever is more important to you. The new Chrysler Of Japan Frontier looks good if you can wait and are comfortable with buying a new gen platform the first year it pops.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:11:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Are there any particular options that you really want? For instance the ranger does not come in a full size cab/"long" bed combo.
View Quote

This is the only reason I went with a Tacoma (well, this and the front end of the ranger) - I wanted a double cab and a 6 ft bed. I will say that the transmission on the Tacoma is the worst programmed thing on the face of the planet - it will not accelerate without downshifting, and at highway speeds it will usually downshift just going over an overpass. I think the atkinson engine design also contributes with no low end torque. Definitely rent one and drive it for a weekend before you buy it, just so you know how truly annoying it is. Other things that suck - relative lack of interior space, door ajar chime from hell (always going off and you can't disable it via menu). Only thing is the resale value on it will make going to another truck easy (I got mine way below market).

As soon as either there is a double cab 6 ft bed ranger (or toyota does a major revision to the drivetrain), I'm changing trucks. In the case of the latter, I'll wait a year for them to get the kinks out if it's not a transplanted powertrain from the 4 runner.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:13:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Buy a Ranger.

Or start riding a bicycle.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:14:29 PM EDT
[#23]
Dodge Ram.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:16:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Ranger....The 21 Tacoma is very fragile. A trip to Spruce Knob in WV killed my radiator.... New radiator already has dents in it from shit bouncing off the road. All paved road travel. I bought new in November...

spAttachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:16:24 PM EDT
[#25]
I owned a 2nd-gen Tacoma for several years and loved it.  Only sold it when I suddenly needed something with a lot more towing capacity and had to go with a full-size truck.

A year or so before that, I test drove one of the new Rangers, and I was impressed, overall.  It wasn't perfect, but I liked it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:16:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Thanks for the poll.

Oh yeah, 2006 Ranger here.
Nothing special but I like it and won't get rid of it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:23:50 PM EDT
[#27]
I had two 2nd generation Tacomas and mostly liked them both, though I had some complaints. Have a friend with a 3rd generation Tacoma, he likes it a lot.

I now have a 2018 Tundra and like it orders of magnitude more unless I'm having to park in a tight spot.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:24:26 PM EDT
[#28]
New '21 Ranger XLT FX owner. 275HP-310 torque @ only 3K RPM. Little 2.3 ecobomb is a torque monster with the 10 speed. I like it a lot more than the '17 onefiddy I traded with.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Find a slightly used Colorado ZR2.  will be the best off roader.  It's more comfortable than the Tacoma by miles.  Better to drive on the road as well.  I haven't driven the Ranger but they look nice. Read enough stories about their 4wd system making changes to modes and settings without you telling it too which puts me way off of it.

I've done some things in my ZR2 that made people in razors say Damn!! It's not a rock crawler by any means, but when the going gets tough, it will get you through a lot.  I wouldn't hesitate to buy again.  
I've had a 2017 Tacoma TRD 4x4 Off-road.  It looked cooler and will probably last longer, but it sucked to drive on the highway.  With a 2inch lift, slightly bigger tires, steel bumpers, a winch, and lighting load out it had a hell of a time keeping up with traffic on flat ground.  Can't imaging having taken it to the mountains.  
Then had a Jeep JK Rubicon.  Took it to Moab and had a blast, but it, like the gladiator with a solid front axle can make highway driving a chore.  Especially if you get into lifts or any kind of mods.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:27:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Of those the ranger is the best truck, followed pretty close by the Colorado.  I’m sure all the Toyota fanbois will be in here pretty quick to tell you about how awesome their Tacoma’s are but if you actually go drive all three of them there is no comparison.
View Quote

While I haven't driven the Ranger. This is very accurate.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:29:45 PM EDT
[#31]
2022 Frontier if you want a body on frame truck.  4 wheel disc brakes and fulled boxed frame.

Honda Ridgeline if you want an open bed but also prioritize ride comfort.  

This comes from someone who's owned two Tacomas in the past.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:30:24 PM EDT
[#32]
My DD is a 2016 GMC Canyon. I'd buy another one if this one wears out. Right at 40K miles on it PLUS another 40K towed miles behind the motorhome. Yes it IS smaller than my dually was BUT it is actually possible to reach into the bed and retrieve something. Electronically shifted driveshaft disengagement makes it a dream to hook/unhook to our coach. 4x4 if we need it. Wife wants me to go back to a full sized truck though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:32:11 PM EDT
[#33]
Price point Value Ranger Lariat with Adaptive Cruise
Canyon AT4 would be runner up in the price range.  I’m actually shocked out how many of my Toyota loyalist friends dumped the current Gen Tacoma.

Around here a Loaded Frontier Pro-4x is 35k otd.  I don’t like em, but maybe you will
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:34:28 PM EDT
[#34]
Get a 2.7 F150. You'll get the same mpg as a ranger.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:35:18 PM EDT
[#35]
While I like my 2012 Tacoma, the platform is pretty old. I'll be looking hard at the Ranger.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#36]
I test drove all three on top of having buddies with the Colorado and Tacoma,   I bought a Ranger,  19' XLT supercab with the 6' bed FX4 offroad package.

The stock shocks SUCK BALLS,   plan on putting bilstiens in minimum,  I went Fox 2.0 coilovers and couldn't be happier.

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:43:51 PM EDT
[#37]
There is only one choice

Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:45:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Frontier
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:46:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Colorados are garbage.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:49:08 PM EDT
[#40]
Had to make the same choice last year. After the test drives it came down to Tacoma or Ranger. I chose the Tacoma based on resale value and long term reliability.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:49:15 PM EDT
[#41]
Is there no engine options on the Ranger anymore?  Eco 4 banger only.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:50:40 PM EDT
[#42]
I think the Ranger should have got a 2.7, my Fusion has it. 325 hp, 380 torque.

I like my 2nd gen Tacoma, 4.0 w/ man trans. I wouldn't pay the price of a new one with a less power 3.5, sounds like the auto trans needs a tune to not suck.

Not interested in GM after 3 duds.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:55:47 PM EDT
[#43]
The Ranger is a better truck, on paper at least. Better MPG, better 0-60, better towing, newer/better tech, better interior, compared to the Taco (I'm not even including the Colorado, the interior is awful). Taco has better resale.

The first thing a person needs to do if they buy a Ranger is change the shocks, the shocks are terrible. The FX4 front shocks are tolerable, but the rear shocks need to go. Replace with Bilstein 5100 at least. The rear shocks are a cheap improvement, $180 for the shocks, takes 30min to change, don't even have to raise the truck off the ground, same goes with the F150 which is also plagued with horrible rear shocks.

Ranger would be my first choice, Taco a close second... and yeah, they really should have at least offer the 2.7l EB in the Ranger, I suppose they had their reasons for not doing it. But, the 2.3l is plenty really.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:56:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Can you wait for the new Nissan Frontier?
View Quote
For what it's worth, I replaced a 2007 Frontier with a 2016 Canyon.  Both 4x4 crew cab long beds.  The Canyon beat out the Tacoma after driving both as I didn't care for the ride quality of the Tacoma at all.  Ranger wasn't out at that time.

I was awfully close to just buying another Frontier and putting some of the savings into an aftermarket stereo/GPS and good tires, but couldn't stand the idea of buying another truck on same 15 year old bones... mine was a great truck but the bad interior, old motor, 5 speed trans, etc.

If the appearance of the new Frontier is likeable to you, I would try to drive one, as I'm about 95% sure I would have liked it better than my Canyon, and by the same steps, better than the others.

Based on what you say the Ridgeline should probably be on your test drive list as well, if you are secure enough to choose on what you need vs. what others think.  No "long" bed option there, though.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 1:58:06 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
There is only one choice

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FrKAEO9BrHE
View Quote

Immediately what I thought of when I saw this thread.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:06:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Not to derail OPs thread, but does anyone here have a new frontier?

The old body style with the new drivetrain? I didn’t even know they had started using the new engine and trans until I was taking a closer look at them.

I could really live with the outdated styling... the 4.0 and 5 spd not so much. The new engine is a 3.8 with a 9 speed.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:08:37 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Is there no engine options on the Ranger anymore?  Eco 4 banger only.
View Quote

Only one engine in the new Ranger.  It's a good one.  I was impressed when I test drove it.
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:12:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Tagscribe
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:21:53 PM EDT
[#49]
Tacoma
Link Posted: 4/21/2021 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#50]
No experience with the Ranger. Interior of the Colorado was pretty shit. Cheap plastic, leather seats tear and wear down super fast, and my buddy's had several issues with his (diesel engine one).
He let me take his truck for a weekend to see if I liked it. After that weekend I bought a Tacoma and don't regret the decision. Carvana offered to buy my tacoma from me for $2k more than I bought it for. The aftermarket resale value on them is nuts.

Honestly if you want a truck to maybe go offroading every now and then, even a ridgeline might be a decent fit for you.

Drive all the options, pick your favorite.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top