Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:39:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Oh, I forgot about that one.  Read it numerous times...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Have you read The Stand?

Oh, I forgot about that one.  Read it numerous times...
If you liked the stand you might like Robert McCammon's "Swan Song".
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:40:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I went through almost the entire Going Home series, and the only reason I can explain it is because, "I wasted this much time, so why not finish it?"

The first book talks about places I know, and know well, so it had me hooked. The Bottomless Backpack of Useful Shit just kept going, and going, and going...

Eventually, it turned into what felt like another series of Ahern books, and I eventually wrote it off as wasted time.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:44:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Neal Stephenson is a fantastic author with a limitless imagination and a great sense of humor. One of the very best fiction writers working today.

Seveneves was trash.
View Quote

It was...abnormally woke.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:48:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I don't feel so bad about not finishing that.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I liked the first 2/3 of SevenEves. Very gripping, technical stuff.. once you get to the "end" I didn't much care anymore. They've been working on a film adaptation for years, not sure how'd they'd do it justice in anything less than a mini series.
I don't feel so bad about not finishing that.

Me either, penguin.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:49:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
This exact thread is why I wrote my own ten years ago. The genre got flooded with some good but mostly even more bad stuff after I published and I haven’t read SHTF/post collapse since. I wrote the guilty pleasure story that I would want to read. A book you can read on the toilet without the good guy getting it all right all the time and a little humor sprinkled throughout. What turned into a trilogy did really well, but never gets mentioned in book recommendation threads like these. That’s not why I wrote my stuff but hard to ignore lol

Starts with Against the Grain by Ian Daniels
View Quote

Fuck it.  I'll try your stuff, if for no other reason than Milner.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 7:51:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I can highly recommend ‘The Remaining’ and the ‘Harden’ series as well, same Author & Characters.

Quoted:
Ringo is great until he outsources the writing when he gets bored like he did with Black Tide.
Zombie Rules is a great series.
The Remaining is very good.
The Arisen series is great.
William Allen has some excellent teotwawki books as does Stephen Fuchs.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Monica!  Grew up reading these throughout high school.  Have all the books!

Quoted:
Honestly, I thing this genre has always attracted a fairly low brow level of writing.

I think I recall reading a SHTF series where the main hero had a pair of Detonics Combat Master pistols in dual shoulder rigs?  I may be confusing some details...

My personal guilty pleasure in the past for SHTF action was this series:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/314595/220px-Pilgrimage_to_Hell_jpg-2030619.JPG

which is basically post-apocalyptic Snake Plissken and his super hot, sexually willing but slightly mutated girlfriend (plus a gang of misfits) wander the wastelands and right wrongs.  Or something.  There's a fairly significant sci-fi aspect to this series, so maybe it's not pure "SHTF" fiction.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:01:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Malevel, The Road, and two older ones by John Christopher....Ragged Edge and No Blade OF Grass................
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:03:26 PM EDT
[#9]
I got started early...LOL

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:04:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I like "Deep Winter."
View Quote

Enjoyable series
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:05:29 PM EDT
[#11]
@Scratch45 what is the issue with Rawles? Quite enjoyed the series no nothing about him otherwise
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:12:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Dies the fire, S.M. Stirling
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Enjoyable series
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I like "Deep Winter."

Enjoyable series

There were several decent ones over in Survival Forum.

Not in SF, but you can Google find it: Aftermath by AL Steiner

You have to suspend some disbelief and not mind some kinky sex. But it was enjoyable.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:27:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I read the first one and remember liking it.  I’ll have to check out the others.
View Quote

I actually had them priced lower but the last time I went through and re-edited some things Amazon had reset the minimum prices.

Deep winter was great. Well the first two in that series anyway. That, one second after, patriots and a few others were some of the bigger books in the genre when I started. Never did finish patriots. So they got me kind of hooked, then I read all the other stuff…

Incidentally, make sure you guys leave reviews if you like a book. Amazon’s algorithms are based on views, downloads, and purchases so it won’t show up in the lists of similar products or whatever unless the specific book reaches some magic number that they won’t tell you what it is. Reviews are crucial for small time guys like me that want to know if the second one in a series is liked more than the first, what worked  and maybe what can be better. Plus, when you’re shopping, you’re going to pick the ones with more and better reviews.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:37:05 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Dies the fire, S.M. Stirling
View Quote

Started out post-apocalyptic.  Morphed into Swords and Sorcery.
First book was by far the best...if you could choke down the main premise.

Felt like P-A fiction wrote by an SCA enthusiast.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 8:43:14 PM EDT
[#16]
I thoroughly enjoyed the Metro series of books (2033, 2034, and 2035). The main character isn't some Rambo as he's portrayed in the games (the author of the books did most of the writing for the games).  In 2033 he's actually getting his ass pulled from the fire constantly by others.

While there is mutants and monsters, the largest focus is on the enemy within the Metro, other humans.  This cover is in the original Russian, but the books have been translated into tons of different languages (yes, including English).

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:42:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Forgotten Forbidden America
Blue Plague
Dark Titan

Without Law (Super campy, lighthearted, fun, x rated)

The Bonner Incident
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

RIP Iron Hand
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not the typical apocalyptic.

John Ringo's take on Larry Correia's series.
https://www.amazon.com/Monster-Hunter-Memoirs-3-book-series/dp/B074C1RQ16?ref=dbs_m_mng_rwt_0000_ext

Monster Hunter Memoirs
Grunge, Sinner, & Saints

Ridiculously good reading.

RIP Iron Hand

SPOILERS!!!!

I read and listen to that series at least once a year.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 9:55:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
The 10-book "Survivalist series" by 'A. American' was pretty good. (first book is "Going Home")

Basically in the first book, the main character is 250 miles from home when there's some sort of EMP I believe? Been a while.. I know he has to walk home, and has a GHB (Get Home Bag) with him. One of the other characters jokes that has "everything but the kitchen sink" in it, which isn't far from the truth... I'd like to know how heavy the pack would be in real life.

The editing in the first few books were poor but get better in later books. The supporting characters are great, slick conversations I thought. It is rare that I come to actually care about characters in a book, and you'd hate to see them killed off....

There's plenty of name-dropping for gear here, and as long as you can suspend your disbelief it is entertaining, and hauntingly prophetic at times. Slight spoilers: There are FEMA camps, pyschos in power, and roving gangs of criminals.
View Quote

That series was hot garbage.

I made it through book 5 on a friend's recommendation and couldn't torture myself any further. I honestly thought/think the writer is a gear queer who owns a survival store somewhere, and the series was just an ad campaign to hawk the shit he sells. 60+lb backpack with THREE different cooking systems, TWO different sleep systems...who TF would carry all that shit. And encountering various random people he encounters in a nationwide grid down scenario who just want to throw a feast for him and/or give him all sorts of cool/free shit? Lol. Everyone is either a) ridiculously unprepared, or b) apparently so well prepared, that they can throw feasts and give away all kinds of gear.

If you want something similar but written a lot better without the ridiculous idiocy, read Franklin Horton's 'Borrowed World' and 'Locker Nine' series.

Currently my favorite author in the post-apocalyptic genre.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:09:42 PM EDT
[#20]
For a good story about a smaller SHTF situation I recommend Devolution by Max Brooks.

You'll start out hating the characters, but they will grow through the story as they're faced to confront real world challenges followed up by some crypid ones.

Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:11:40 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just read the news.
View Quote

D+ level writing at best.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:24:34 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
The 10-book "Survivalist series" by 'A. American' was pretty good. (first book is "Going Home")

Basically in the first book, the main character is 250 miles from home when there's some sort of EMP I believe? Been a while.. I know he has to walk home, and has a GHB (Get Home Bag) with him. One of the other characters jokes that has "everything but the kitchen sink" in it, which isn't far from the truth... I'd like to know how heavy the pack would be in real life.

The editing in the first few books were poor but get better in later books. The supporting characters are great, slick conversations I thought. It is rare that I come to actually care about characters in a book, and you'd hate to see them killed off....

There's plenty of name-dropping for gear here, and as long as you can suspend your disbelief it is entertaining, and hauntingly prophetic at times. Slight spoilers: There are FEMA camps, pyschos in power, and roving gangs of criminals.
View Quote

I enjoyed the series as well
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:51:00 PM EDT
[#23]
The Third World War by General Sir John Hackett.  Written in the late 70s and a glimpse into what WW3 could have been like. A real British General, who held high commands and was a bad ass in WWII.    

This book is credited as being an influence on the style and format of how World War Z was written.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:52:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The Third World War by General Sir John Hackett.  Written in the late 70s and a glimpse into what WW3 could have been like. A real British General, who held high commands and was a bad ass in WWII.    

http://images.gr-assets.com/books/1183080736l/1375759.jpg

This book is credited as being an influence on the style and format of how World War Z was written.
View Quote
Read that as a teenager.  "Shovel, this is six, oh my God!"  Loved that book.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:05:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
There are all time greats, for sure

Lucifer's Hammer
Light's Out
One Second After
Earth Abides
Alas, Babylon
The Scarlett Plague
The Stand
ETC

and good mediocre - at least good food for thought
Unintended Consequences
Patriots by that weirdo James Wesley Rawles

and a metric sh*t ton of crap.  I wish the genre attracted better writers.
View Quote
The Stand.awesome, until the belly flop end.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:12:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

http://images.gr-assets.com/books/1183080736l/1375759.jpg

View Quote

I have the hardcover of this in the office. Always liked it.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:39:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

That series was hot garbage.

I made it through book 5 on a friend's recommendation and couldn't torture myself any further. I honestly thought/think the writer is a gear queer who owns a survival store somewhere, and the series was just an ad campaign to hawk the shit he sells.
View Quote

Gear Queering turns me off, every time.  If there are three or more brands introduced within the first two pages, I'm out.  Slam it shut, find something else to do/read.  

"...The  unexpected click sound coming from GQ Bob's Heckler and Koch MP 5 slapped him across the face with its 'Hey, Bob!  You're out of Hirtenberger L12A1!  Whatcha gonna do now?' cheery and unwanted message, and he reluctantly let the German weapon fall, side-slung, as he stoically drew his Emerson Bulldog folder from his now bloody Ranger 5.11 tactical patrol shorts.  This wasn't how he'd planned to spend his afternoon."
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 2:34:06 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Gear Queering turns me off, every time.  If there are three or more brands introduced within the first two pages, I'm out.  Slam it shut, find something else to do/read.  

"...The  unexpected click sound coming from GQ Bob's Heckler and Koch MP 5 slapped him across the face with its 'Hey, Bob!  You're out of Hirtenberger L12A1!  Whatcha gonna do now?' cheery and unwanted message, and he reluctantly let the German weapon fall, side-slung, as he stoically drew his Emerson Bulldog folder from his now bloody Ranger 5.11 tactical patrol shorts.  This wasn't how he'd planned to spend his afternoon."
View Quote

You can feel the author living his fantasies through his work when you see that stuff. It's pretty funny.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 2:42:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

At least I have John Ringo, even though he never really finishes a story arc.
View Quote

This is so true that it's hilarious!

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 2:53:59 AM EDT
[#30]
mongol moon

worth a read.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 8:13:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I actually had them priced lower but the last time I went through and re-edited some things Amazon had reset the minimum prices.

Deep winter was great. Well the first two in that series anyway. That, one second after, patriots and a few others were some of the bigger books in the genre when I started. Never did finish patriots. So they got me kind of hooked, then I read all the other stuff…

Incidentally, make sure you guys leave reviews if you like a book. Amazon’s algorithms are based on views, downloads, and purchases so it won’t show up in the lists of similar products or whatever unless the specific book reaches some magic number that they won’t tell you what it is. Reviews are crucial for small time guys like me that want to know if the second one in a series is liked more than the first, what worked  and maybe what can be better. Plus, when you’re shopping, you’re going to pick the ones with more and better reviews.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I read the first one and remember liking it.  I’ll have to check out the others.

I'll be picking them up next time I order something, too.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 9:20:55 AM EDT
[#32]
I would also recommend "Warday" (often found as "Warday and the Journey Onward").  Another 80's book that is pretty well written by two authors who put themselves in the plot line of two men making a journey across the US.  The catch:  It is 5 years after a limited, but devastating nuclear exchange between the US and USSR.  A war that lasted a single day and unseated the two largest super powers in the world.  Some areas of the country faired well and other areas suffered greatly.  What is life like for Americans left in the US?  How is America governed?  What happened that day and what are the effects several years later?  These two set out to write the story.  Imagine parts of America almost ran like parts of post world war II Europe.  People living with the effects of radiation exposure.  Industry and infrastructure destroyed in parts of the country.  A lot of this is told by their interviews with people they meet and documents that were uncovered.  

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:05:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Zombie -- Black Summer on Netflix.  Season two was just recently added.  I hope it is as good as the first.

Apocalypse -- To The Lake, also on Netflix.
View Quote

Black Summer Season 2 was very meh.  

There is one episode that stands out in the second season, and it doesn't actually have much to do with the plot or setting (which is kinda counter-intuitive).  You'll probably recognize it when you see it.

The rest of it's extremely predictable, and the events at/of the ending seemed forced (and somewhat predictable).
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#34]
The Fire from the sky series by NC Reed is pretty good.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:44:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
For a good story about a smaller SHTF situation I recommend Devolution by Max Brooks.

You'll start out hating the characters, but they will grow through the story as they're faced to confront real world challenges followed up by some crypid ones.

View Quote

That's a good one.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 10:58:05 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Go to the survival fiction forum here and look up sharkman6 and D C Bourone.

You’re welcome.
View Quote

DC Bourone. The Soldier's Son.

It's on Amazon.

Really well written, and the author is a real dude that does man stuff. He's currently out on some trek in the wilderness and sent me this a few days ago.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 11:04:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
This exact thread is why I wrote my own ten years ago. The genre got flooded with some good but mostly even more bad stuff after I published and I haven’t read SHTF/post collapse since. I wrote the guilty pleasure story that I would want to read. A book you can read on the toilet without the good guy getting it all right all the time and a little humor sprinkled throughout. What turned into a trilogy did really well, but never gets mentioned in book recommendation threads like these. That’s not why I wrote my stuff but hard to ignore lol

View Quote

I'll give it a try.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:01:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
The Stand.awesome, until the belly flop end.
View Quote

Like all of King's work.
His collection of short stories is the only thing that I finished reading without being pissed off at him "phoning in" the ending.

I just made a couple of Kindle purchases to support a fellow arfcommer, will leave a review when I am done on Amazon.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:53:22 PM EDT
[#39]
Just told I was mentioned here.  I do try and get outdoors quite a bit.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 12:56:51 PM EDT
[#40]
The book can be found by searching "DCBourone The Soldier's Son" Amazon etc.  Sample text:

He had stopped the Crown Vic at the top of a gentle rise, sloped in both directions and he walked the road a few yards to look back south. Look back in the direction he had come. On the very far horizon he thought he could see the palest glow in the night sky, that would be San Antonio. Brian had to remind himself that worldwide, the lights were still on. For awhile, at least. The atmospheric glow of this distant city wasn't an illusion. The infrastructure of the world was still intact. The Sinai Nuke had not killed anybody, or vaporized, let's say, Moscow, or London, or Paris, or New York, or Los Angeles.
But Brian considered that the Sinai Nuke might have done something stranger, and even worse than killing a city of millions, if such a thing were possible. The Sinai Nuke had destroyed an essential narrative of the world: that nuclear weapons were safe. That nuclear weapons would never be used. Could never be used. That the governments of the world could keep the nuclear genie in its bottle, forever. And that by implication the governments of the world could protect everyone, forever. And that the systems and methods and institutions of man might not be perfect, but certain thresholds would never be crossed. It was as if that distant explosion had found a fracture line in the consciousness of the entire world. Brian knew that somehow the effect had been much larger than a fear of failing stock markets, abandoned currencies, feeble politicians, regional wars.
Somehow, everything was in doubt.
He wondered how fragile the world had been, that it had broken so fast...
He traced the lettering on his weapon with his thumb.
Inconceivable that he had already used it once.
And would presumably, use it again.
"Remington Arms Co., Ilion N.Y."
"Made in U.S.A."
The edges of the stamped letters polished flat.
The steel blued the color of sapphire.
An elegant weapon from a simpler time...
Now reduced to the equivalent of a nail studded bat.
He could still feel the ridges where he had hack-sawed the barrel.
The splintered grip where he had cut off the stock.
A sawed off 12 gauge shotgun reassured because it suggested that any episode of violence would be brief, and close; that he would be the aggressor, and that by and with his aggression he would surely prevail. The shotgun suggested simple solutions, to simple problems. Brian knew these were delusions approaching fantasy. He knew that in this bleakest of all futures he would need to use and understand every possible complexity of weapon, and that every possible complexity of weapon would be aimed at him.
He wondered how long he would live.
He wondered how he should count the days of his life.
In months.
Or weeks.
Or days...
He had a new thought, ever so brief, just the slightest breath of a new idea: in some strange way, perhaps the Sinai Nuke had also done the world a peculiar kind of favor. Brian was not religious. He believed in no spirits. He had always thought his version of prayer was a shout into darkness, a scream into an empty church. But for many years, he had felt like some kind of Old World, Biblical Devil was winning. Yes--That Devil. That Devil was winning...

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 3:16:27 PM EDT
[#41]
Just purchased it. Look forward to reading on my next flight

Quoted:
The book can be found by searching "DCBourone The Soldier's Son" Amazon etc.  Sample text:

He had stopped the Crown Vic at the top of a gentle rise, sloped in both directions and he walked the road a few yards to look back south. Look back in the direction he had come. On the very far horizon he thought he could see the palest glow in the night sky, that would be San Antonio. Brian had to remind himself that worldwide, the lights were still on. For awhile, at least. The atmospheric glow of this distant city wasn't an illusion. The infrastructure of the world was still intact. The Sinai Nuke had not killed anybody, or vaporized, let's say, Moscow, or London, or Paris, or New York, or Los Angeles.
But Brian considered that the Sinai Nuke might have done something stranger, and even worse than killing a city of millions, if such a thing were possible. The Sinai Nuke had destroyed an essential narrative of the world: that nuclear weapons were safe. That nuclear weapons would never be used. Could never be used. That the governments of the world could keep the nuclear genie in its bottle, forever. And that by implication the governments of the world could protect everyone, forever. And that the systems and methods and institutions of man might not be perfect, but certain thresholds would never be crossed. It was as if that distant explosion had found a fracture line in the consciousness of the entire world. Brian knew that somehow the effect had been much larger than a fear of failing stock markets, abandoned currencies, feeble politicians, regional wars.
Somehow, everything was in doubt.
He wondered how fragile the world had been, that it had broken so fast...
He traced the lettering on his weapon with his thumb.
Inconceivable that he had already used it once.
And would presumably, use it again.
"Remington Arms Co., Ilion N.Y."
"Made in U.S.A."
The edges of the stamped letters polished flat.
The steel blued the color of sapphire.
An elegant weapon from a simpler time...
Now reduced to the equivalent of a nail studded bat.
He could still feel the ridges where he had hack-sawed the barrel.
The splintered grip where he had cut off the stock.
A sawed off 12 gauge shotgun reassured because it suggested that any episode of violence would be brief, and close; that he would be the aggressor, and that by and with his aggression he would surely prevail. The shotgun suggested simple solutions, to simple problems. Brian knew these were delusions approaching fantasy. He knew that in this bleakest of all futures he would need to use and understand every possible complexity of weapon, and that every possible complexity of weapon would be aimed at him.
He wondered how long he would live.
He wondered how he should count the days of his life.
In months.
Or weeks.
Or days...
He had a new thought, ever so brief, just the slightest breath of a new idea: in some strange way, perhaps the Sinai Nuke had also done the world a peculiar kind of favor. Brian was not religious. He believed in no spirits. He had always thought his version of prayer was a shout into darkness, a scream into an empty church. But for many years, he had felt like some kind of Old World, Biblical Devil was winning. Yes--That Devil. That Devil was winning...

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 3:28:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

I would say probably because it was written by someone who knew WTF he was writing about.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 3:41:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'll read it.

For the rest of you, if you haven't read People's Republic, you're wrong.

Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:32:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I would say probably because it was written by someone who knew WTF he was writing about.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:51:45 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I like "Deep Winter."
View Quote

By Thomas Sherry? I hated that book. I know it’s a series but I could only read the first one. The main character was a know it all, rules for thee but not for me, types.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:55:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I really enjoyed the Adrian Ring series written by Chris Philbrook. It's a bit different as it's a 1st person narrative written in the format of a journal but I found it pretty entertaining.

Plus most of the characters aren't stupid.which is an added bonus.
View Quote
It was pretty good, except for endless house searches, pretending that finding a vehicle was a big deal when there would be anything you could want almost everywhere, full auto when ammo is scarce, making gun finds sound like a big deal...in America (everyone who watched Red Dawn knows how to find the guns!), trucking water to another community, the whole Trinity schtick, the short shrift given to melee weapons for slow shuffle type zombies (other than Halligan tools, which would suck compared to a short spear), the laundry lists of supplies, etc.

It was fun, but it felt like the author had a hard time asking, "What would a reasonable person do here?"
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 4:58:12 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Neal Stephenson is a fantastic author with a limitless imagination and a great sense of humor. One of the very best fiction writers working today.

Seveneves was trash.
View Quote

I  found it slow, stuck it out, kind of wish I given up on it.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 5:00:46 PM EDT
[#48]
I've collected Post-apoc literature for going on 40 years.
The trend towards self-publishing and offering some of these newer SHTF authors a print edition of what should be an e-book at best is not doing the genre any favors.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 5:02:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Zombie -- Black Summer on Netflix.  Season two was just recently added.  I hope it is as good as the first.
View Quote

They definitely improved all around.
Season 1 seemed like sort of a test case, a proof of concept project set in the early days of the Z Nation universe.
Unlike Z Nation, they went the serious route, and imo pulled it off. Production values were slightly lacking but they did a great job with what they had.
Keep in mind, Z Nation was basically youtube-levels of production quality.

Season 2 of BS is even more serious, and much more realistic in its depictions of the levels of savagery and barbarism a starving society would descend to.
It is darker, grittier and meaner than season 1. Doesn't even feel zombie-centric, just apocalyptic in general and how bad it would be on every level.
I recommend.
Link Posted: 7/29/2021 5:41:18 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote

Doenloaded your book after reading this and am 3/4 of the way through it. I'm liking it.

Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top