[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:45:42 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:49:07 AM EDT
[#3]
That's easy, Richard Petty.  Also worked on his own cars.

Numbers don't lie.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:50:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Clark
Schumacher
Earnhardt
Verstappen

Hamilton is excellent, but I can't stand his shitty attitude, so he doesn't make the list.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:52:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Ken Miles
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:55:24 AM EDT
[#6]
A.J., Parnelli, Donohue,Fangio, even Paul Newman.  Plenty of good ones out there.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:57:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Dick Trickle is the greatest name in racing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 9:58:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:04:38 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Richard petty
Richard petty
Richard petty
Richard petty

Everybody else
Danica Patrick
Jeff Gordon
View Quote

Danica only won one race in indycar, And her best finish in nascar was 7th. And she was the polesitter for one Daytona 500.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:13:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Clark
Schumacher
Earnhardt
Verstappen

Hamilton is excellent, but I can't stand his shitty attitude, so he doesn't make the list.
View Quote

Certainly hard to argue with Hamilton being one of the greatest F1 drivers. But that’s also the extent of his experience (along with the standard karting and feeder formula series). So I’d say his river isn’t very deep compared to a lot of others he shares the top F1 shelf with.

Dan Gurney is probably my personal favorite “greatest”.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:16:33 AM EDT
[#11]
Jerry
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:22:20 AM EDT
[#12]
John Surtees
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:24:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Parnilli Jones
Ivan Stewart
Robbie Gordon
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:27:19 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Not really sure how you can even name any NASCAR drivers , stupidest form of race driving ever , give me formula one and. Rally car racing any day of the week.
View Quote

I used to think that way, but when NASCAR boys were pitted against the world's best in identical cars in the IROC series, they came out on top quite a lot.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:28:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Nobody dominated any race type like Petty did with NASCAR

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Richard Petty!!

Nobody dominated any race type like Petty did with NASCAR

There were barely any competition back then.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:29:36 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Jim Clark

Dan Gurney

Phil Hill

Juan Fangio

Parnelli Jones

Sterling Moss
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:34:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Judah Ben Hur.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#19]
AJ Foyt
Mario Andretti
Richard Petty
Fangio

Dirt:
Steve Kinser
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#20]
Foyt, Fangio, Senna, Petty
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:40:26 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Not really sure how you can even name any NASCAR drivers , stupidest form of race driving ever , give me formula one and. Rally car racing any day of the week.
View Quote

The only correct answer. NASCRAP is an affront to racing. Fuck left turns.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:40:28 AM EDT
[#22]
Richard Petty, Dale Earnhardt, Don Garlits, Mario Andretti, Colin McRae.

But there have been many, many other greats before and since. I could make a list 10 miles long of great racers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 10:42:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I used to think that way, but when NASCAR boys were pitted against the world's best in identical cars in the IROC series, they came out on top quite a lot.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IROC was a nascar  stock car with a Camaro body instead of a Monte Carlo. If you take an F1 car and slap a different body on it and throw nascar drivers in there against F1 drivers I know who would win
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:06:54 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'd like you, other F-1 fans, and even Indy Car road course fans to conduct an experiment.
Next race take a sharp pencil and count every on course pass for the lead.
Not in the pits, not fuel or tire strategy, not someone's kamakazi "outbraking" (around here that's called a PIT maneuver) just flat going around someone.
It won't take a large piece of paper.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:12:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Yes i don't think you can say just one name.
It really depends on era and type of racing.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:14:56 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Danica only won one race in indycar, And her best finish in nascar was 7th. And she was the polesitter for one Daytona 500.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Richard petty
Richard petty
Richard petty
Richard petty

Everybody else
Danica Patrick
Jeff Gordon

She can come be polesitter at my house tho
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:19:20 AM EDT
[#28]
Never knew this about Rusty Wallace.

Eilliot said he thought he was right on the edge of losing it going 212mph at Talladega in '87.

As an equally fearless driver, “Rubberhead” – Wallace’s affectionate nickname given to him by the legendary Dale Earnhardt – reached a mind-boggling 216.309 miles per hour, thundering around the tri-oval track in just 44.270 seconds.

https://www.usanetwork.com/usa-insider/whos-the-fastest-driver-in-nascar-history#:~:text=Bill%20Elliott
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:37:25 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

IROC cars were stock cars on stock car tracks, of course they'd do well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:45:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Parnelli
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 11:57:27 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

IROC cars were stock cars on stock car tracks, of course they'd do well.
View Quote

The first year or two of the series, they raced Porsches, if I remember correctly.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:25:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not really and apples to apples comparison. Im sure most NASCAR and F1 drivers would get trounced if forced to race a Baja like event in a trophy truck.

As to the question at hand it’s hard to answer.

Is there as much “creative interpretation” of the rules or even cheating in F1 as there seems to be in NASCAR?
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Senna without question.

Manual shifting, no traction control, no ABS.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:32:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Jim Clark
View Quote

The grand tour did an incredible Jim Clarke tribute. They also did one for Senna when it was top gear iirc.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:36:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Tommi Makkinen
Ari Vatanen
Walter Rohrl
Henri Toivonen
Patrick Snijers

Sorry, but anyone who says nascar is limited. When a driver can do over 100mph on any surface at any weather anytime of year, blind and ever changing conditions the only thing that is similar is formula 1. Rally racing is the ultimate test of a driver, period.

You have to be good as a mechanic, listener, reading the terrain, endurance, here’s a big one- turning more than one direction, good at maximizing traction across ALL terrain, good at jumps, good at strategizing, good at acceleration. Good at hills, loading the car for oversteer, understeer controlled slides on gravel at 90mph through trees, improvising mechanical fixes to make the finish.

Group B produced some of the very best racing drivers that have ever existed.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 12:49:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Tommi Makkinen
Ari Vatanen
Walter Rohrl
Henri Toivonen
Patrick Snijers

Sorry, but anyone who says nascar is limited. When a driver can do over 100mph on any surface at any weather anytime of year, blind and ever changing conditions the only thing that is similar is formula 1. Rally racing is the ultimate test of a driver, period.

You have to be good as a mechanic, listener, reading the terrain, endurance, here’s a big one- turning more than one direction, good at maximizing traction across ALL terrain, good at jumps, good at strategizing, good at acceleration. Good at hills, loading the car for oversteer, understeer controlled slides on gravel at 90mph through trees, improvising mechanical fixes to make the finish.

Group B produced some of the very best racing drivers that have ever existed.
View Quote

I think that’s true. If you’re talking about just pure skill and ability, you’re right. But the initial thought experiment when asking Tony Stewart was who would be on the Mount Rushmore of auto racers. I think popularity, longevity, and their influence on their sports plays a huge part in it too. You would have to have Richard Petty on the Mount Rushmore of racers.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:11:39 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think that’s true. If you’re talking about just pure skill and ability, you’re right. But the initial thought experiment when asking Tony Stewart was who would be on the Mount Rushmore of auto racers. I think popularity, longevity, and their influence on their sports plays a huge part in it too. You would have to have Richard Petty on the Mount Rushmore of racers.
View Quote

I do respect what the nascar drivers can do
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:47:27 PM EDT
[#38]
FPNI
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 1:59:47 PM EDT
[#39]
The greatest driver of all time is most likely some guy that drove a car that only made the field by his sheer talent and finished mid pack if it didn't let him down.

Nobody recognized this and he went back to turning wrenches or working on the farm when the team he was driving for folded.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:02:46 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
AJ Foyt

Won NASCAR and Indy Car.  Even ran a few F1 races.

Only driver to win the Indianapolis 500 (four times), the Daytona 500, the 24 Hours of Daytona, the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the 12 Hours of Sebring

Not a huge fan but I respect what he did.
View Quote

I would vote for AJ
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:03:04 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
AJ Foyt

Won NASCAR and Indy Car.  Even ran a few F1 races.

Only driver to win the Indianapolis 500 (four times), the Daytona 500, the 24 Hours of Daytona, the 24 Hours of Le Mans and the 12 Hours of Sebring

Not a huge fan but I respect what he did.
View Quote

Came to post this. That guy could race and beat anyone in anything. Lol at nascar anywhere near the list.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
If they are throwing in drag racers .
I'd toss Force and replace him with Ronnie Sox , dude was a machine him running a a 4 speed sounded like a car with a Lenco
View Quote

Grumpy Jenkins was no slouch.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:10:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

A man of taste, I see.

My nominations for consideration:

Dan Gurney

Mark Donahue

Jacky Icks

Tom Kristensen

Graham Hill

View Quote

Good list, but I would add Foyt to it. He was an asshole, but he could back it up.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:12:34 PM EDT
[#44]
The King,  Richard Petty!
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:13:52 PM EDT
[#45]
For innovation and driving a sport, I'll nominate Don "Big Daddy" Garlits.

He built his own cars and perfected the rear-engine Top Fuel dragster.

Garlits was the first drag racer to officially surpass the 170, 180, 200, 240, 250, and 270 mile-per-hour marks in the quarter mile; he was also the first to top 200 mph (320 km/h) in the 1/8 mi (0.20 km). Heck, he was still hitting the strip at age 87. In July 2019 at age 87, he set a new quarter-mile record of 189.03 mph (304.21 km/h) with Swamp Rat 38, a 1,500 lb dragster with a battery-powered 800 hp electric motor.

If you are ever in Ocala, FL, his museum is definitely worth the visit.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:14:54 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

There were barely any competition back then.
View Quote

They were racing tiny tracks multiple times a week. If you show up at all of them and drive fairly decently, you would dominate.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:16:10 PM EDT
[#47]
Force and Petty belong on the list. Anyone who doesn't think so is just wrong.

I think Kinser could justifiably be on there as well

Schumacher  for sure.

AJ Foyt seems to be mandatory as well.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:17:06 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think this is one of those questions that can never be answered.

Many drivers peaked fast but died too soon.

Many drivers only races specific types of cars on very specific circuits.

Other drivers were very talented during a certain time period but would likely be outclassed by modern drivers.

There is just way too many variables.

I'll just go with some of my favorite drivers that drove multiple types of cars successfully.

Like Mark Donohue or Walter Roehrl.
View Quote

I'll add Rufus Jones as a multi-talented driver.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:18:59 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
I'd like you, other F-1 fans, and even Indy Car road course fans to conduct an experiment.
Next race take a sharp pencil and count every on course pass for the lead.
Not in the pits, not fuel or tire strategy, not someone's kamakazi "outbraking" (around here that's called a PIT maneuver) just flat going around someone.
It won't take a large piece of paper.
View Quote

I like how they added breaks in the racing in nascar, lol.
Link Posted: 3/16/2023 2:22:05 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

Certainly hard to argue with Hamilton being one of the greatest F1 drivers. But that’s also the extent of his experience (along with the standard karting and feeder formula series). So I’d say his river isn’t very deep compared to a lot of others he shares the top F1 shelf with.

Dan Gurney is probably my personal favorite “greatest”.
View Quote

Hamilton is certainly helped by the team he’s on, but you don’t get that seat unless you are one of the best. He wouldn’t be my first choice for a bank get away driver, but the man does his job as well as anyone in the modern racing sport.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top