Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:53:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I've never used the term, but I've been hearing it a lot more often lately so I looked it up. It doesn't mean what I thought it meant. I don't know why all of a sudden everyone is using it. Kind of like how everyone is a narcissist now. I've never heard that term used so much either.
View Quote

Both are very useful concepts to address certain unique manifestations of the current social media climate. I think it's reasonable that people would latch on to and start to use words that explain things they've been seeing but maybe not always had a good word for.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:54:42 PM EDT
[#2]
When I was in college it was one of those movies you rented from the library when there was nothing new or good out. Kind of a classic.  In my circle everyone has seen it or at least vaguely knows the plot and origin of the term.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:55:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Was just looking for that.

It's the first thing I think about when I hear the term
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Was just looking for that.

It's the first thing I think about when I hear the term

I'm relatively certain that it was in an analysis of that episode where I first heard (read) the term used.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Have heard it off and on for a couple years now from two particular people and no one else. Always took it to means 'Blowing smoke up someone's ass' or 'Bullshitting'.
View Quote

yep, blowing smoke up someone's ass or pissing on my leg and telling me it's raining.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:56:33 PM EDT
[#5]
Gaslight - Full Movie - GREAT QUALITY 720p (1940)
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:56:56 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm old. I have heard the term in the current context my whole life.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:58:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I've been hearing it more and more in the past few years, but had NO IDEA wtf it means.  I finally decided to spent the ten seconds typing it into Google, and looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Basically, it's a tactic for manipulating someone in a way that makes them question their own reality or sanity.

Am I just the last person on the planet who didn't know this, or are there plenty of others who also didn't know?  
View Quote

You've never seen, or even heard of, the movie?!?

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:58:57 PM EDT
[#8]
So, I take it you’re not a film professor?

It’s a great movie!
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 1:59:15 PM EDT
[#9]
I am guessing OP is not manipulated easily, nor am I.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:00:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I am guessing OP is not manipulated easily, nor am I.
View Quote

Yea, he’s having fun.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:03:14 PM EDT
[#11]
That's an easy one.

What trips me up is all this British slang that is creeping in. I read the other day, "I've been on a bit of a burn lately..." WTF does that mean? You can't even ask the internet.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:03:53 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I do find it funny that while the usage of the term is relatively new, the movie is from the 1940s.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The future is now, old man.

I do find it funny that while the usage of the term is relatively new, the movie is from the 1940s.  
And the movie is based on a play from 1938
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:05:46 PM EDT
[#13]
It's not just a lie.......It's a directed & repeated lie done with contempt to alter the other persons reality (make them think they are the crazy one.)

The example of "the sky is blue" and "no it's not, it's red", while very simple, is a good one.  No one is going to believe that, but think about that 100 times a day on the most random things--especially past events.  Narcissists use it to control their codependent spouse, family member, employee, whatever.  The codependent one thinks they're losing it, unworthy, drain on the relationship, etc and the narcissist make them feel like they are schlepping the codependent along.......when most of the time it's quite actually the opposite.  The codependent one is the one taking care of everything and the keeping the only sanity and stability in the relationship.  Narcissists and co-dependent attract like magnets--they're tough to get apart, and when they do it's not a pretty situation.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:06:57 PM EDT
[#14]
It's something people accuse others of when they can't handle the truth. At least sometimes. Sometimes it's just people bullshitting.

But yeah I had to look it up a couple of years back.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:07:07 PM EDT
[#15]
It's a horrible thing to do to another person.  They
try to make a person think they aren't living in
reality and can't trust themselves or their decisions.

My ex was a master of it and taught me to trust myself
rather than anyone else.  

Only evil people use this form of manipulation.

DK.  You probably would have learned it sooner had
you been in unhealthy surroundings.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:08:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
What are you talking about? You know what gaslighting means. You've known for years.
View Quote
That's beautifully done.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:08:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I've been hearing it more and more in the past few years, but had NO IDEA wtf it means.  I finally decided to spent the ten seconds typing it into Google, and looked it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaslighting

Basically, it's a tactic for manipulating someone in a way that makes them question their own reality or sanity.

Am I just the last person on the planet who didn't know this, or are there plenty of others who also didn't know?  
View Quote
Watch the movie.

Surprised at your lack of culture.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:09:04 PM EDT
[#18]

Great movie....

A good watch

I'll give you a good example of "gas lighting"

Dude takes your favorite necklace and hides it...you go to look for it and it's not there, so you ask him about it. He "claims that you're losing it and you last had it"....Mind you, while you're searching the house, he puts the necklace right back where he took it from/where you normally keep it and calls you a loon and says it was there the whole time.

ETA:

Lifetime had started a series called Phrogging - where some of the weirdoes that were living in people's home (without them knowing) would do shitty things like that to fuck with the people. They'd leave a cabinet door open, move things around in the refrig, etc. - not cuz they were in the home, just to fuck with the people's sanity.

I mean, it's not just house stuff. Let's say your bf came home late cuz he's fucking your friend....you see they are all chummy when together and the both of them call you crazy - although you can just "tell" something's not right. That's also gaslighting.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:09:46 PM EDT
[#19]
I thought it was putting on a fake persona.

I'm still dumb about virtue signalling.  
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:12:42 PM EDT
[#20]
And the same boat as OP... I've heard the term used over the years very rarely, and had some idea of the definition based on context, but was never sure of the specific definition until I looked it up.

With as often as we are now seeing it used, you can be sure that the recent increase in use of the term is yet another instance of "projection" by the right. They, almost without fail, will accuse you of doing exactly what they are doing.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:13:03 PM EDT
[#21]
@ScottAdamsSays impersonation
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:13:34 PM EDT
[#22]
There's no such thing as gaslighting.

Kharn
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:14:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I had to look it up also. I usually forget and have to look it up to see if what they claim is gaslighting is actually gaslighting. It seems to be over used a lot as of late.
View Quote

You mean like "Life Hack" and "This one thing...?"

Or is Kim K. tone AF in this new bikini, while some land whale is showing how body positive she is by posting a similar photo online?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:16:03 PM EDT
[#24]
It was weird seeing Angela Lansbury from Murder, She Wrote as the help.

And a picture of Ingrid Bergman

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:16:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I had to look it up as well, when it became a term in common use here.

View Quote
Me as well
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:17:58 PM EDT
[#26]
We have a group who does this to every Cabal expose thread here.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:18:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

You brought this up 3 years ago.  You taught us what it means.
Some one else surely remembers that?
View Quote

I remember!
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:20:02 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
You brought this up 3 years ago.  You taught us what it means.
Some one else surely remembers that?
View Quote
OP should probably look into the definition of dementia.

Or, he's trying to keep his post count higher than Aimless. With all Aimless's dupes, the only possible way for DK-Prof to stay ahead is to begin duping himself.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:20:43 PM EDT
[#29]
I saw the 50* year old  movie 25+ years ago. I knew what it was but thought it has been used incorrectly the last few years.....based off what I saw in the movie.

*I don't know the actual age of the movie.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:21:28 PM EDT
[#30]
Having dealt with lawyers - it’s just another term for reptile theory.

Like my fellow mature crowd we know it when we see it no matter what it’s called.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:22:13 PM EDT
[#31]
I looked it up a while back when it started showing up frequently in the news and on social media.  If I see a word I don’t know, I try to immediately figure it out.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:22:21 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I’m 54 and have heard it my entire life.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:27:35 PM EDT
[#33]
I was unfamiliar with the term until the year 2000, when Steely Dan released their album “Two Against Nature.” There is a song called Gaslighting Abbie” on it, made me look the word up.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:29:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There are many ways to manipulate, gaslighting as a concept is more focused on making someone question their own sanity. Where the meaning has evolved a bit is that it tends to be related more to making someone think they remembered something wrong or said something they never said.

View Quote

I agree that there still remains actual gaslighting. But what I see now often referred to as “gaslighting” in modern context is really just trying to pressure or influence someone often for personal gain. Aka manipulation. There’s even situations where it’s not even manipulation. Someone can be trying to persuade someone of a position, maybe a political one, and if they say too many times about how they’re right and the other person is wrong, they can be accused of gaslighting.

It’s leaning towards the yelling of “racism” to shut down arguments when people get uncomfortable.

It’s been watered down significantly. The original meaning still has its place.

Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:37:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I have recently learned just how much my ex that I divorced last year was gaslighting me. Once I stopped getting angry, she realized she didn't have control anymore and it was done.

It makes it easy to not want her back
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:40:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:41:09 PM EDT
[#37]
The real definition is presenting an idea to a libtard that is factually correct that goes against their beliefs
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:42:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I've known about gaslighting for years. My grandma did it to us as kids.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:42:35 PM EDT
[#39]
A LOT of people misuse the term to mean pretty much anything they want.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:42:49 PM EDT
[#40]
I thought that was where you just ignored the person and didn't respond to anything they text/call/say/do/etc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:45:27 PM EDT
[#41]
The term "Gaslighting" is not new, it's just become a lot more popular lately.  I've been using the term since the mid 90's but didn't see the movie until the early 2000's.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:45:31 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

No way, that's fire.
View Quote

On fleek

Turnt
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:47:11 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I thought that was where you just ignored the person and didn't respond to anything they text/call/say/do/etc.
View Quote

No, that's  a Danish Rudder.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:48:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:52:43 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
The real definition is presenting an idea to a libtard that is factually correct that goes against their beliefs
View Quote

So they run to Snopes to validate their beliefs instead of doing their own research or thought.
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:54:04 PM EDT
[#48]
My uncles girlfriend liked to gaslight me on the phone. We would be talking and she'd say: Why is the phone beeping? Are you recording me? No Tammy I'm not.
Or, she would ask: Why do you keep saying quit, quit??? I didn't say that Tammy. Why are you trying to gaslight me?
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:55:00 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/26/2023 2:55:08 PM EDT
[#50]
I had to look it up, maybe early 2020 timeframe when I first started hearing it.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top