Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/20/2022 9:26:04 PM EDT
I've been looking around the web for one here lately for cooler weather. Most don't look very good or authentic to me. Can you help a brother out?

Go!
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:28:49 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't know the answer, but I can tell you that you will freeze your ass off in an M-65.. LOL

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:33:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Size?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:34:08 PM EDT
[#3]
A real one from the Army.

I need to look at the size, but I have one somewhere in the loft, I can sell cheap, fucking thing shrunk after I got out of the Army in 87.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#4]
Alpha Industries.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:34:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't know the answer, but I can tell you that you will freeze your ass off in an M-65.. LOL

View Quote

I said, "cooler" not during a Manchurian cold front in Korea. Thank you. Lol.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

this. without the quilted liner, they are not suited for winter wear, unless you live here, in florida.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:35:53 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Size?
View Quote

XL or 2x.
Regular length. I have a barrel chest.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:37:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

this. without the quilted liner, they are not suited for winter wear, unless you live here, in florida.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@texasmancansurvive
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:38:09 PM EDT
[#9]
When worn in layers like they were designed, they kept us plenty warm in Northern Germany.
Start with a tshirt, then thermal, then, sweater, then BDU top, then quilted liner and finally the field jacket.  
You couldnt move your arms but you stayed warm.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:42:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I need to look at the size, but I have one somewhere in the loft, I can sell cheap, fucking thing shrunk after I got out of the Army in 87.

View Quote

When you find it let me know.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:42:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

XL or 2x.
Regular length.
View Quote

The bigger sizes are tough to find for the real ones. It took me forever to find mine. I actually wanted a "Tall" one but had to settle for a Regular.

My original one also seemed to shrink over the years. My son had outgrown his, so I handed mine down to him and bought a replacement.

I always found them plenty warm enough with the liner. Must be some cold blooded MFers on this site.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:45:19 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Alpha Industries.

View Quote

Did you get one of those Sarge?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:45:45 PM EDT
[#13]
The people in the weed thread could tell you
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:47:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

The bigger sizes are tough to find for the real ones. It took me forever to find mine. I actually wanted a "Tall" one but had to settle for a Regular.

My original one also seemed to shrink over the years. My son had outgrown his, so I handed mine down to him and bought a replacement.

I always found them plenty warm enough with the liner. Must be some cold blooded MFers on this site.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

XL or 2x.
Regular length.

Where did you finally find it?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:49:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Never been a Sarge but I have an original, yes.

They’re one of the only original companies still manufacturing them based on spec but they aren’t cheap and I doubt they’re made In Tennessee much less the US anymore.

https://www.alphaindustries.com/products/m-65-field-jacket-heritage-black-m
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#16]
I'd kill for a OD green medium regular.

I have a Rothco small and I swim in it. I wear a large Tshirt lol
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:51:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've noticed all the g.i. clothing from the 80's shrank a lot just hanging in the closet for a few years.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:53:11 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not as big as you need. Sorry
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:53:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Do you wear a large?
Edit: nevermind.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:54:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

They’re one of the only original companies still manufacturing them based on spec but they aren’t cheap and I doubt they’re made In Tennessee much less the US anymore.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sorry about the mix up because of your screen name. No big deal though. The one featured in the ad doesn't really look like an original iirc.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:54:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Do you wear a large?
Edit: nevermind.
View Quote

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:55:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

EBay.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:56:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I've noticed all the g.i. clothing from the 80's shrank a lot just hanging in the closet for a few years.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:57:05 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol. I grew up in the Northeast wearing M51’s and M65’s snd never froze my ass off.  They work just fine as long as you aren’t out getting waterlogged.  The lightweight liner was a game changer too.  Everyone knows mil gear relied on layering based on temps.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#25]

Lol...I have 2, both in large, and I haven't gained THAT much weight. I blame the cheap government cotton
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:58:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I've snow camped in my jacket. Still have it. I wear a sweater underneath if it's real cold.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 9:58:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:01:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Say, what does the .mil wear nowadays for cold weather environments? Never really thought about it before this thread. I've been out since 81'.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:04:43 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do they sell to white people?
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:06:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

EBay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EBay.

Just checked. Mine is an XL-Reg with a Large liner.

That's about the biggest you can hope to eventually find.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#31]
I liked the M-65 quite a bit.

With a brown wool sweater underneath a BDU shirt and the field jacket with liner I always stayed warm.

I can't say the same for the black leather gloves with the green wool liners though, My hands always got cold in those damn things.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:07:31 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think the ad said that these have deeper waist pockets for g2cs with extended mags and shit! Lol.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:15:01 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I think the ad said that these have deeper waist pockets for g2cs with extended mags and shit! Lol.
View Quote

Snitches get switches!
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:18:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Say, what does the .mil wear nowadays for cold weather environments? Never really thought about it before this thread. I've been out since 81'.
View Quote

There's a 7 I think layer system that tops out with the marshmallow jacket/pants.

I love my marshmallow jacket
Ecws level 3 I think...
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:21:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

EBay.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

EBay.

Same here. Used but in excellent shape.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:22:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:33:37 PM EDT
[#37]
Bought a lightly used surplus M-65 and liner last fall from Venture Surplus. No idea if they still have any, but price was very reasonable.
I'll break with the crowd on here and say that I love mine. Without the liner, it's a nice cool weather fall jacket. With the liner, it's pretty damn warm (to me) in winter. But it's a primarily dry weather jacket. It's fine in a light drizzle, but I'm sure they intended it to be used with a poncho or other rain gear in cold and wet weather. I have other coats with some more modern materials, but I still like the M-65 for a general "bum around in the woods" coat.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:43:21 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

If that isn’t the truth. I’ve never worn more jacket yet felt colder than in an M65
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:44:30 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

I've hunted down to 0° in mine but I'm not a pussy.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:47:28 PM EDT
[#40]
A surplus website had them on sale for $25 last fall. Armynavysales.com or something. They might have some more.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:48:24 PM EDT
[#41]
No offense to the OP's decisions, but as someone who was issued a real M65 (in "God's plaid"), I don't understand the fascination with them.

They're not cut particularly well, they ride a bit low but not low enough to be useful, they're not short enough that you won't sit on them in a car seat.
They have poorly placed and shallow pockets.

Without the button in liner, they're not much thicker than a flannel shirt but have 5x the bulk of one.

They're not warm, they're not water resistant, and they're only somewhat wind resistant.

Why do people seek these things out?  

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#42]

I can still wear the Field Jacket I was issued 47 years ago () this month.
I can't use the Liner any longer, though.
Waist size increased 6 inches.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:53:48 PM EDT
[#43]
Why not just go to a surplus store or ebay and buy a real one? I bought one after First Blood came out (like everyone else).

They do look cool, but they really suck as a jacket. I know that's sacrilege, but accurate and true.

Link Posted: 9/20/2022 10:57:22 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
No offense to the OP's decisions, but as someone who was issued a real M65 (in "God's plaid"), I don't understand the fascination with them.

They're not cut particularly well, they ride a bit low but not low enough to be useful, they're not short enough that you won't sit on them in a car seat.
They have poorly placed and shallow pockets.

Without the button in liner, they're not much thicker than a flannel shirt but have 5x the bulk of one.

They're not warm, they're not water resistant, and they're only somewhat wind resistant.

Why do people seek these things out?  

View Quote

I wish more coats were cut like them. As long as it's not raining I'll take a m65 down to 0. Which is pretty much my normal hunts/camping trips in the fall/winter.

I'm not sure why anyone needs anything else for 32 - 0. At least I don't.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:03:36 PM EDT
[#45]
Attachment Attached File

Probably this one. I can eat at any restaurant I want. No reservation needed.
Link Posted: 9/20/2022 11:54:19 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep.  In the 1980s while I was in high school a friend told me that I'd never be cold again if I bought an M65.  So I went to the local Army/Navy and bought a "new" surplus jacket (back then they had metal zippers) with the liner.  It definitely doesn't keep you warm, at least not for our Pennsylvania winters.  Not waterproof either.  

These days I have a Propper OD M65 (with liner) that stays in my car as an emergency jacket. It has a plastic zipper so it's not an original, but if I ever break down at least I'll have an extra layer.  (I have broken down in -6F temperatures ... lucky the tow truck came fast, as my feet were starting to get numb.)  Note to self:  get chemical hand/toe warmers for the car emergency kit ....

OP, best of luck in your search for an M65 but if I were you I'd get a modern wind/waterproof shell with zip-out synthetic fleece liner for a cold weather jacket.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:00:57 AM EDT
[#47]
People in GD used to post that the M65 is awesome. I’d always reply that it sucks.

Now GD says the M65 sucks. Maybe I’ll look at buying one. Might be awesome.

Is there a quality maker in khaki or tan color?
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Once Goretex came out I never touched my issued M-65 again. The switch came sometime in the early 90's for me. M-65s are okay for Spring and Fall but sucked in the Winter especially when sitting in a bunker in the middle of the night.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:38:20 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

I have froze my ass off in NC in a M-65, so I can concur with authority,

And forget about being dry, when it rains, too

M-65 Field Jackets are the reason that I started buying my own ECWCS gear.
Link Posted: 9/21/2022 12:47:20 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
People in GD used to post that the M65 is awesome. I'd always reply that it sucks.

Now GD says the M65 sucks. Maybe I'll look at buying one. Might be awesome.

Is there a quality maker in khaki or tan color?
View Quote

Goodwill.

I gave a Lg Reg OD field jacket to my old squadron mate from Whidbey and Iwakuni (RIP Paul), the last time he was in town.

I replaced it with a woodland MedReg (my size) also from Goodwill, and was still out only another $24.95.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top