Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 8/9/2020 8:15:33 AM EDT
As in nothing but meat.

Works great for many; I’m thinking about moving from lazy keto to carnivore.

Love to go OMAD with just a beef ribeye at dinner time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:20:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Just curious as to what the benefit to not eating vegetables is.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:23:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just curious as to what the benefit to not eating vegetables is.
View Quote

Plants often produce toxins as their defense against predation, since they can’t run. The theory is that less toxins equals less inflammation and immune system issues. I personally think that as long as you’re getting enough fat it’ll probably work out just fine.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:24:57 AM EDT
[#3]
I’ve been looking into this also, and I’m pretty curious as to how much to eat.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:28:14 AM EDT
[#4]
I did it for 4 months, solid results, no bad side effects at all.

I stopped simply because I wanted to eat an apple or something once in awhile.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:29:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Check out the Wooded Beardsman on YT.  He does a series called wilderness living challenge.  Weighs himself, goes into the woods for a week or so, and needs to weigh the same or heavier when he comes out.  It's way better than the channels where people go in and basically just starve until they get out.  He does an episode with Fowler where its bear meat cooked in bear fat, fish, beaver, every day.  He talks about how the body reacts to what he eats.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:48:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Not me, but I knew a family from a club that did the Cave man diet as they called it, only meat

They were all slim and fit looking, and bat shit crazy.  All of them

Probably nothing to do with the diet....but

Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#8]
I’m carnivore.  I do drink milk and have some cheese.  I eat tons of bacon and eggs as well. It’s a very hard transition physically that makes the “keto flu” seem like nothing in comparison.

Google Dr Shawn Baker
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 8:57:44 AM EDT
[#9]
We had a lot of men in our church do it a few years back. Most lost some, but now are fatter than ever.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:11:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I predominately eat meat.  I'd say it's 80/20 with rice (and some specific veggies here and there).

Works very well for me as the bulk of veggies I try to eat cause my guts to get angry.   So I stick with what I know

Fwiw, I'm also celiac.  

eta:  I should also add that I have been the same lean weight of 168 for years now.  Very consistent as long as I moderate the beer  ;)
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 9:16:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
We had a lot of men in our church do it a few years back. Most lost some, but now are fatter than ever.
View Quote

Well, it is Georgia
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:29:03 PM EDT
[#12]
Checking her out; interesting about the carnivore flu, I figured since I usually am in ketosis when I check in the morning I wouldn't miss the few carbs I get through a normal keto day, but. . .

Carnivore Diet: What I Eat, A Month of Meals Part 2
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:29:59 PM EDT
[#13]
It’s some dumb neckbeard shit to sound cool.

Don’t do it. Humans are meant to eat both meat and vegetables.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:34:45 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:34:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Please read the carb night soloution
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#16]
I've been researching it, and am actually starting it tomorrow. So this thread is of interest to me to hear from any that have done it.
Planning to run with it for a month.
I bought a side of beef a few weeks ago, have elk and bison for a flavor change. Then also have a shit load of chicken, tuna steaks and eggs ready to roll.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:47:12 PM EDT
[#17]
My wife and I are probably 95% carnivore.

I added a small bowl of oatmeal in the morning to help my digestion and also eat nuts for a snack in the afternoon. I usually do burger for breakfast, chicken for lunch, steak or burgers for dinner.

Ive lost 35+ pounds and its done a lot of good for both of us.

eta: @compass
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Zeroing in on Health, a Facebook group of folks that follow this diet. They're currently at 31.5 thousand members. There is a lot of great info.

Kelly Hogan is my hero.

My Zero Carb Life: Kelly's journey.

ETA: I've lost about 20-25lbs. Not really sure since I didn't weigh myself. I'm experiencing an incredibly slow weight loss. My body has a lot of healing to do hormonally. I'm not doing it for weight loss. I'm trying to cure being sick. It's the total elimination diet. And it works.

Eat meat. Drink water.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:00:03 PM EDT
[#19]
I lost my first 30 or so pounds on it. Its very effective.  

90 days:

Breakfast: 6 eggs, 3 strips of bacon
Lunch: 2 eggs, 2 cheese sticks
Dinner: 1 pound ribeye or 1 pound hamburger patty fried in bacon grease
Drink only flavored water or black coffee.

This combined with both cardio and weights work great.

The carb withdrawals at this level are a bitch. Your digestive system will not be happy with you at first.

I transitioned into a lower carb diet as I feel like its more sustainable long term but occasionally go back to short rounds of carnivore when my weight starts creeping up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:02:33 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm far from a doctor, but my understanding is that you need glycogen to burn fat.  A few carbs can help get you lean.

I think when the diet pendulum swings too far to one side, we get lesser results.

If I go too extreme in calorie cutting, my workout suffers.  I don't build muscle and my energy levels are way off.  If I ingest too many carbs, I get bloated and my energy level is off.

So I reduce carb intake, eat high protein fish (salmon, tuna, and Asian carp) and chicken, combined with high fiber veggies.  It seems to work well and I can sneak a whole wheat bread turkey sandwich from time to time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:07:04 PM EDT
[#21]
A friend of mine did it for a few months and said he felt great and had loads of energy.

Then he started drinking again and fucked it all up.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:08:36 PM EDT
[#22]
Plants don't run so they produce toxins. That is some essential oils bullshit level stuff right there.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:12:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I'm far from a doctor, but my understanding is that you need glycogen to burn fat.  A few carbs can help get you lean.

I think when the diet pendulum swings too far to one side, we get lesser results.

If I go too extreme in calorie cutting, my workout suffers.  I don't build muscle and my energy levels are way off.  If I ingest too many carbs, I get bloated and my energy level is off.

So I reduce carb intake, eat high protein fish (salmon, tuna, and Asian carp) and chicken, combined with high fiber veggies.  It seems to work well and I can sneak a whole wheat bread turkey sandwich from time to time.
View Quote

Do you really want to maximize your weight sessions and feel great

Carb back load
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:28:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I did it for 4 months, solid results, no bad side effects at all.

I stopped simply because I wanted to eat an apple or something once in awhile.
View Quote

I did it for two months and then beer flu hit. Then the meat shortage hit. Then beef skyrocketing to 11lb financially made me stop.

Best I have felt in a very very long time.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:35:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Plants don't run so they produce toxins. That is some essential oils bullshit level stuff right there.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Many plants have an inbuilt defence system that, when activated, releases hydrogen cyanide to ward off insects and fungi.
https://sciencenordic.com/denmark-food-and-nutrition-videnskabdk/how-plants-use-chemical-weapons-to-protect-themselves/1439939
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/10/01/228221063/when-edible-plants-turn-their-defenses-on-us
Plant defenses include: Mechanical protection on the surface of the plant; complex polymers that reduce plant digestibility to animals; and toxins that kill or repel herbivores.

sciencedaily.com/terms/plant_defense_against_herbivory.htm
Scientists have characterized multiple functions of benzoxazinoids in wheat: The toxic form of the substances makes the plant directly resistant to lepidopteran larvae, whereas a less toxic form regulates indirect defense mechanisms against aphids. The researchers identified the 'switch' between these different functions as a methyltransferase enzyme, which is activated by caterpillar feeding. This switch enables wheat plants to adapt their defense response to different herbivores.
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/12/181205142716.htm
All life is in a constant state of competition.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:43:08 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

https://sciencenordic.com/denmark-food-and-nutrition-videnskabdk/how-plants-use-chemical-weapons-to-protect-themselves/1439939
https://www.npr.org/sections/thesalt/2013/10/01/228221063/when-edible-plants-turn-their-defenses-on-us

sciencedaily.com/terms/plant_defense_against_herbivory.htm
https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2018/12/181205142716.htm
All life is in a constant state of competition.
View Quote

Some plants do rely on herbivores eating them for propagation and dispersal.
Link Posted: 8/9/2020 5:50:58 PM EDT
[#27]
I only eat meat, eggs, and butter. When I first transitioned to keto, I ate nuts, cheese, and veggies. Eventually, I found I felt better eliminating the non-animal products. I stopped eating cheese simply because it's WAY too easy for me to overeat it.

Keto to carnivore is a normal progression path, and many eventually find some middle ground. You need to find what works for you and go with it.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:23:07 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Carb back load
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carb back load

Hadn't heard of that.

I work out in the mornings.  Usually 5 to 6.  It would seem that I'd need to eat my carbs in the morning?  This goes slightly contrary to the idea that the carbs would help burn fat while I sleep.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#29]
My experience is was extreme gastrointestinal distress. Bad pain, difficultiy taking a shit, not fun. The farts were legendary though.

Eta: I should add i tried it for a week or so.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:30:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Hadn't heard of that.

I work out in the mornings.  Usually 5 to 6.  It would seem that I'd need to eat my carbs in the morning?  This goes slightly contrary to the idea that the carbs would help burn fat while I sleep.  Any ideas?
View Quote

Carbs don’t help burn fat, if anything it’s the opposite, the body has to prioritize carbs to get your blood sugar down.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:38:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My experience is was extreme gastrointestinal distress. Bad pain, difficultiy taking a shit, not fun. The farts were legendary though.

View Quote
Were you going from keto to carnivore or the standard American diet to carnivore?
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 8:41:01 AM EDT
[#32]
Unless you like pooping your pants it's a good idea to ease into it - a day or two the first week and add from there.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 10:48:41 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote

Depending on your body, it can take a while for your body to adjust to such a change.

It takes me about a week for my body to adjust whereas it takes kalanikid about two weeks.

Everyone is different and I can guarantee you that you didn't give it enough time.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:40:03 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Hadn't heard of that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carb back load

Hadn't heard of that.

Carbs don’t help burn fat.

But it’s really about when you eat your carbs

I haven’t really looked into how to do it when you work out in the AM

Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:40:53 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Depending on your body, it can take a while for your body to adjust to such a change.

It takes me about a week for my body to adjust whereas it takes kalanikid about two weeks.

Everyone is different and I can guarantee you that you didn't give it enough time.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Absolutely

My pelican shits stop in 2 days
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 11:46:52 AM EDT
[#36]
I did it for a while.  Ate a few pounds of beef per day.  A lot of bacon as well.

Unfortunately I didn’t stick to it long enough but immediate results were there for certain things.

I felt like fucking Superman in the gym.  Energy was unreal, strength gains quicker than anytime in my life.  

Slept much better as well.  

I didn’t really drop weight unfortunately, but I think I was eating too fatty of meats for where my BMI is.  It got to the point where I’d barely finish a meal and I’d be running to the shitter because my body couldn’t handle that much fat.  

Carnivore is no joke, though and in my opinion it is proper human nutrition/diet.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:06:12 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Hadn't heard of that.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carb back load

Hadn't heard of that.

I tend to gravitate towards that type of eating anyway. If I go carb heavy in the middle of the day it makes me feel heavy and tired most of the time, so try to minimize them until the afternoon, and at supper I'll load up on them.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:23:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I never went carnivore, but I did go raw meat for a while.

I ate my beef, chicken breast and eggs raw. Beef and chicken are extremely delicious raw. There is a delicate sweetness to both that gets lost when cooked, raw chicken especially. Eggs are kind of gross raw, but it's quick and convenient. Havn't tried many other meats raw, but I've heard of people eating all sorts of raw meats.

Not only that, I feel that eating meat raw conveys plenty of health benefits. For one, you don't need to buy uber fatty cuts of beef for tenderness because you're not cooking it. Cooking beef tends to dry it out, so having that extra marbling keeps it full of juice and flavor. When you eat it raw, you can get leaner cuts and have a succulent and tasty meal. Another benefit is that cooking meat tends to add bad stuff to it, afaik. I'm not an expert so take this with a grain of salt, but from what I've heard is that cooking steak adds carcinogens that are obviously avoided when eating raw. Last benefit is prep time. Far easier to prepare when you're not cooking it. I might just add some salt and pepper, and eat! I can't recommend raw meats enough. If you do it, make sure you get your meats are a reputable butcher shop, and let them know what you're planning to do. If you are nervous, freezing meats at or below 32 degrees for 14 days will kill everything. I never did that, so I can't comment on the resulting flavor, but something to think about.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:23:51 PM EDT
[#39]
My ex GF would do the meat diet from time to time.  It worked, she lost lots of weight.  It's not healthy, you need to take vitamins.

She used to joke that she wasn't sure if it was the "diet" that caused her to lose weight or that you get sick of eating meat all the time...
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:50:35 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
It's not healthy, you need to take vitamins.
View Quote
If you have to take vitamin supplements on carnivore, you're doing it wrong.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:54:03 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yeah my first thought too.  And “inflammation”
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 2:54:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

Meat is really tasty, but there's lots of other non-meat stuff that's really tasty too.

Nah.

Diets that are highly restrictive tend to have results like this.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 3:11:34 PM EDT
[#44]
There was a guy on here I think it was last year that ate nothing but bacon for 30 days and would post his numbers every time he would get checked out and from what he posted it looked pretty good. He lost a bunch of weight and his blood pressure dropped I believe
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Carb back load

Hadn't heard of that.

When I was trying it I would wake up around 430, chug a bottle of sugar-free Powerade with some unflavored creatine in it, go to the gym, then as soon as I got back eat some overnight oats I prepared with almond milk and chocolate protein powder.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 3:18:28 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
I think that this is a perfect example of the old saw that "we are an experiment of one". I think that you have to find what works for you. I have done keto and carnivore in varying amount for the last few years with a few breaks in there due to indulgence or laziness and I have maintained my initial 30 lb loss consistently. What I haven't done is go any lower weight wise (which is frustrating), but I have had a some bigger body changes with no change in the scale. Around 3" inches on the waist reduction with zero weight change and I have maintained muscle mass. This was important to me as I age.

I think we all have varying tolerances for different kinds of food and if you listen to your body you can figure out what makes you feel best and perform the best that you can. Pick a method, stick with it long enough to get results and then start modifying as necessary. The most important thing is to be as healthy and strong as you can be with whatever works for your body. Feeling tired, bloated and sick all the time sucks.

And for all of the under 40 crowd, do the work now, it gets harder the older you get.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 3:26:25 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote

Look up Oxalates and what they can do to the human body if you are sensitive to them.

Level 2-3 Carnivore is not for everyone, YMMV. It has been shown to help people with autoimmune issues and can kick start weight loss if you stall while being Keto. You have to know your body and keep track of your macros to make it work.

Check out “The Carnivore Cookbook” by Maria and Craig Emmerich, it explains the diet. While I do not agree with everything in the book, it has some very valuable knowledge in it.

There is no one solution, BTW.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
I think that this is a perfect example of the old saw that "we are an experiment of one". I think that you have to find what works for you. I have done keto and carnivore in varying amount for the last few years with a few breaks in there due to indulgence or laziness and I have maintained my initial 30 lb loss consistently. What I haven't done is go any lower weight wise (which is frustrating), but I have had a some bigger body changes with no change in the scale. Around 3" inches on the waist reduction with zero weight change and I have maintained muscle mass. This was important to me as I age.

I think we all have varying tolerances for different kinds of food and if you listen to your body you can figure out what makes you feel best and perform the best that you can. Pick a method, stick with it long enough to get results and then start modifying as necessary. The most important thing is to be as healthy and strong as you can be with whatever works for your body. Feeling tired, bloated and sick all the time sucks.

And for all of the under 40 crowd, do the work now, it gets harder the older you get.
View Quote
I'm still dropping fat, but I've had to increase protein while cutting out pasta (my weakness) and other simple carbs.  I've never been a big drinker of soda or candy eater.  I do drink a lot of water.

I've tried eliminating carbs and just didn't like the way I felt and my workouts suffered.  I like fruit and vegetables and I'll keep eating them.

I agree with you 100%, we're all a little different.  From mid-November to late April I lost ~55lbs of water and fat.  Cut about 6" off my waist (42 to 36).  I've increased my weight, but my waist is down to 35".  I'm adding muscle mass, but trying not to bulk up.  I'm just looking for more definition, but have no desire to be a muscle-head.

I'm 42.  It sucks trying to do this now.  That said, I'm in the midst of a divorce and I can say unequivocally that high-intensity cardio and weight training have helped me keep my sanity.  In a world where you don't have total control over many things, you can control how you look and feel.  Just takes perseverance and dedication.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Wife’s friend has been mostly carnivore for 4-5 years. Zero carbs at least. It’s kept her alive from cancer.  She was very lean with an athletic build but around year four added on a few pounds of fat. She is still slender but perceives herself heavy. Whatever, The point I’m trying to make is that her body changed to compensate and apparently your metabolism can slow down enough or compensate even on carnivore to gain a bit of weight.
Link Posted: 8/10/2020 6:02:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

CarnivoryCon 2019: George M. Diggs, PhD — “Plant Defense Chemicals: The Dark Side of Food Plants“
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top