Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#1]
I will gladly drive one if someone buys for me!!!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:27:06 PM EDT
[#2]
2016 4x4 Crew Cab with 90k here.

Only major issue was the AC compressor shit the bed right after 30k. THAT was expensive. Had to replace nearly everything with the AC system.

Since then it’s been trouble free. Multiple trips out west hunting with zero issues. Made it through some incredibly rough terrain no worse for wear with a good set of rear chains.

I’ve got a cap on it. It’s not 100% water proof but it’s good enough. All my shit goes back there when I hunt and don’t have any issues. I couldn’t imagine not having a cap doing what I do with a truck.

My only real gripe is fuel mileage. (14-15 mpg most tanks.)
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh. I forgot... the dash clock runs very slow once the weather turns hot.  Very accurate in winter though.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:25:07 PM EDT
[#4]
2019 1794 bought new all the options were factory except had the dealer add a flip out step to make it easier to get into the bed, had them powder coat the wheels black and change the factory tires for goodyear off road tires. I have the sunroof heated/cooling leather seats all power package  trd off road package towing package it came loaded and as you see there was not much i could add to it and am very happy with it, Tow's the boats and gets me were i want to go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:38:13 PM EDT
[#5]
I bought a 2015 Double Cab in October after I totaled my F150. It's been a great truck so far. A big upgrade from my single cab. Rides great and has plenty of power. Most of my use has just been point A to B driving so far. I have found the 6 foot bed is almost too small for all my detailing equipment, but coming from an 8 foot bed, I expected as much.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:48:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I had a prior generation. Those are great trucks. The old 4.7 ? Lexus derived motor is epic and the truck was the size of a current taco-I think.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
I had a prior generation. Those are great trucks. The old 4.7 ? Lexus derived motor is epic and the truck was the size of a current taco-I think.

It's the 5VZ-FE engine (3.4L, 4 cam 24valve V6).  And the cab is definitely ?? sized. The only issue is the (much documented) frame does have some surface rust.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:10:41 PM EDT
[#7]
I've driven hundreds of Tundras.  Drove six Tundras today.  

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:13:07 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a 2020. Only complaint is it doesn’t work too well in the summer. Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:18:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
2019 1794 bought new all the options were factory except had the dealer add a flip out step to make it easier to get into the bed, had them powder coat the wheels black and change the factory tires for goodyear off road tires. I have the sunroof heated/cooling leather seats all power package  trd off road package towing package it came loaded and as you see there was not much i could add to it and am very happy with it, Tow's the boats and gets me were i want to go.
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/433159/IMG_0751_JPG-2356992.jpg
View Quote

Did you get the brown leather? That interior is sexy.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:19:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I've driven hundreds of Tundras.  Drove six Tundras today.  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/69748/IMG_20220421_161019_jpg-2357032.JPG
View Quote

The new ones are not my cup of tea. They look pretty ugly and seem really low to the ground.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:24:06 PM EDT
[#11]
11 CrewMax 5.7 LTD
106k miles.
Rock solid no frills gas hog.
Tow a bit. Use the bed a lot.
Dependable as hell.
3rd set of ft rotors.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:42:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

What topper/cap you got there...looks good.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Had a 2014, no problems ever, until I smoked a deer at 70mph.  I now have a 2019 Limited TRD
https://i.imgur.com/Zp9XkXN.jpg

What topper/cap you got there...looks good.

Looks like a Leer
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#13]
Had an 08 Limited years ago and this spring my wife got a 19 Platinum.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Had my 09 before I got hurt. Awesome truck. The cats died around the 140k mile mark. I didn't get a chance to figure out what killed the cats, but I replaced them and told the new owner about it before I sold it to him.

Side note - i've never had anyone tell me about any non obvious issues on a vehicle. I've always got the pleasure of finding out hidden issues and once even major engine problems shortly after purchase. My first car when I was 16 had the fuel pump held together by rtv. That guy claimed to be a helicopter pilot so as a kid, I thought the car would be mechanically sound. How dumb I was, lol. The most recent vehicle I got scammed on had a check engine light that only popped up after 70 miles. I even brought my little obd scanner on that one due to past experience, and it passed all self checks. However, after 70 miles, like clockwork, the cel came back on. I quickly realized that the guy had put about 40 miles on it after clearing codes before he let me drive it. He owned it for 3 years before that, but washed his hands of it and claimed "it's a used car, buyer beware." Btw, here you have to pass emissions tests yearly. Cel is an auto fail
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:06:50 PM EDT
[#15]
Damn op, too bad the new truck I want won't be built for 4+ months, I'd sell you mine for 30k
2016, DC, 65k miles, sr5, 3" Bilstein lift, 34" tires, fuel wheels, trd exhaust and sways, hard folding tonneau top, no dents, damage, accidents etc.
It's clean and tip top.

Edited ~ medicmandan
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:14:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I Have a 2018 Double Cab TRD Sport, bought new, now has about 40K miles.  Avg @15-16mpg.  Traded a 2003 Tundra that I also bought new.

No mechanical issues with the 2018.  My big complaint on the 2018 is the interior quality.  LOTS of rattles and squeaks.  Cheap plastic everywhere that is just not on par with the rest of the truck.  The 2003 was flawless, no mechanical issues and much better interior quality.  From time to time I wish I would have kept the 2003.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a ‘14, bought new off the lot.

About 75k on it, and it’s been flawless.

Mild lift, 34’s, front hitch, upgraded stereo, Wet Okole seat covers (it lives on the beach all summer).

Love the truck.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:25:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Damn op, too bad the new truck I want won't be built for 4+ months, I'd sell you mine for 30k
2016, DC, 65k miles, sr5, 3" Bilstein lift, 34" tires, fuel wheels, trd exhaust and sways, hard folding tonneau top, no dents, damage, accidents etc.
It's clean and tip top.

Edited ~ medicmandan
View Quote

Sounds like a good deal but I need the crew max for car seats.

I may have a line on a 2019 for $20,000 if I’m patient.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 8:31:56 PM EDT
[#19]
This is my 3rd Tundra of the last 10 or 11 years.  They are fantastic trucks!
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:39:25 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a 2006, with about 260k on it. I’ve had it since 2008 and 50k miles. Bought it after my 3rd tour. Moved cross country with it twice, and driven cross country with it many times. It was my daily driver for most of the time I’ve had it, but not so much for the last few years.

I just did the first real repair I’ve had to do on it-a transmission. But it was kind of a stupid thing-a pinhole leak in one of the lines. A clip wore a tiny hole in the line. And it only leaked while it was in gear. This was the first year without a tranny dipstick I believe. So I never had any idea something was wrong until it wasn’t shifting right, by then it was too late. Anyway if it weren’t for that, probably wouldn’t have needed a transmission.

Aside from that, it’s just little annoying things. A/c doesn’t work very well anymore, radio is a bit contankerous,  drivers side window is a bit screwy-that kind of shit. But hell, it’s got 260k miles and it’s 16 years old. So I guess it has the right to have a few things.  

It’s been a good truck really. I’d like to get a newer one-but trucks are expensive even when the communists aren’t going full tilt destroying the country. So I can’t afford one for the time being. Maybe someday. And mine is still running ok.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 10:42:48 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:01:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Ya'll need to quit with your gross Turd Gens.  You got demoted from full size truck.  Yes I know you "have more towing capacity," but those non metal bed sides aren't going to do any payload for long.  Have any of you had the passenger mirror camera fall off yet?
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:27:47 PM EDT
[#23]
2018 Crewmax.  XSP.  Paid off :)  43k miles

Love the truck.  Hope I don't buy another one for a while.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:31:24 PM EDT
[#24]
@wakeboarder

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:27:33 AM EDT
[#25]
Good luck finding a tundra in that price range.

Mines a 2021 Crewmax SR5 TRD Offroad. Only “complaint” is the gas mileage, esp these days, but I knew that and accepted it going into it. Zero problems and zero regrets getting it. The dealership has already contacted me 3 times wanting to but it back for more than I paid.

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:40:34 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

The new ones are not my cup of tea. They look pretty ugly and seem really low to the ground.
View Quote

The pictures of the 2022 seemed kind of ugly.  I just saw one in person yesterday and it was pretty good looking.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:49:27 AM EDT
[#27]
I miss my 08.  I'll probably test drive a 2023 SR5, and then make the mistake of also driving the hybrid and end up buying a limited to get it
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 12:55:17 AM EDT
[#28]
If you guys with Leer caps don't mind me asking....what is the ballpark price for one of these?
Thx
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:17:11 AM EDT
[#29]
I have a 2021 SR5 Crewmax 4x4 with the 5.7. Traded my 2019 Ram 2500 6.4 Hemi in on it. Other than being lightly sprung and lacking a transmission cooler it’s a better truck so far as it hasn’t been into the dealer at all where the Ram had 3 trips in the same frame. The 5.7 is thirsty but it has more than enough power and pulls good.

The OEM transmission thermostat and hardlines are available from Toyota. I installed a kit from Genuine Cooling Systems that included the OEM parts, a custom bracket, and a big aftermarket cooler. My transmission never goes above 195 even towing.

I do believe the 2017 and older Tundra has an external cooler but it’s pretty small. You would be wise to look into a larger cooler if you’re towing. I do believe Genuine Cooling Systems offers a kit for the 2007-2017 trucks now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:24:46 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Ya'll need to quit with your gross Turd Gens.  You got demoted from full size truck.  Yes I know you "have more towing capacity," but those non metal bed sides aren't going to do any payload for long.  Have any of you had the passenger mirror camera fall off yet?
View Quote

Don't hate man!  To be honest some people have had issues. I can't chime in just yet. I got mine on the 16th....and fucked my right knee up the next day.  As it sits I got about 100 miles on it and most put on by my wife. That picture is what she took to taunt me from the grocery store. As of today no CEL and mirrors are still fully attached. For what it is worth I have only every owned Chevy and nissan trucks with my last being a 2017 Titan XD gasser. Sold the XD in 2018 for a Wrangler JLU since I did not need a truck anymore. Still don't but hated getting rid of the truck ever since. Once I sat in the Tundra I knew it was it and price point was cheaper than ford or Chevy for like equipped.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:48:09 AM EDT
[#31]
2015 purchased 5 years ago with 29K miles (2018-2022 LED front end swapped)- now have 99K miles. Kings, 35’s, 5.7….changed a battery once. I ain’t saying shit more because if I do the fucker will fall apart. I also own 3 other makes/models of vehicles. I like this one.

Recommended, and that’s all I have to say.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:49:07 AM EDT
[#32]
2019 crew max.

No issues, gets Toyota services every 5k. I’m at 40k miles now.

Stock tires changed out at 35k for more aggressive at

Debating a leveling kit

Transmission seems a little clunky

Not going to be as high tech as a ford gm ect.

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 2:11:15 AM EDT
[#33]
2015 TRD Pro DC Inferno Orange, and supercharged.

I can pass anything but a Shell station.

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:36:30 AM EDT
[#34]
I was “reading” that the Tundra has 4 cats are they are easily accessible by thieves.  I put that in quotes, because sometimes some light research leads down some weird rabbit hole and me buying something I didn’t know existed.  So I also put on some skid plates to protect the cats from theft.

It wasn’t this specific article, but you get the idea.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:42:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Mine is old 2003 4wd V8 been pretty happy with it up until recently. The differential cover is rotted so it leaks a bit. Its welded in place so you either have to JB weld the little holes and hope it holds or cut off the old cover and weld on a new one. All vehicles have problems so I'd buy another Tundra though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 6:53:43 AM EDT
[#36]
Original owner of a 2005 SR5 Tundra, 165,000 miles and no problems so far.  Its been super reliable.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:39:34 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

The pictures of the 2022 seemed kind of ugly.  I just saw one in person yesterday and it was pretty good looking.
View Quote

Yeah, I’ve warmed to them seeing them on the street.

If I was picking a truck right now, good chance it’d be another Tundra.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 7:58:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Yeah, I've warmed to them seeing them on the street.

If I was picking a truck right now, good chance it'd be another Tundra.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I've warmed to them seeing them on the street.

If I was picking a truck right now, good chance it'd be another Tundra.

They are better in person, but the higher trim grilles are still ridiculous.  SR5 models are better.

The TRD PRO looks pretty good, but it is screaming for a lift and bigger tires.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:16:13 AM EDT
[#39]
I had a 2012 crewmax 5.7 2wd.  2nd new truck I ever bought.  Traded it in 2014 for a 2012 Ram megacab 4x4 cummins.

Pros:
very comfortable ride
great looking truck
great leg room in back

Cons:
12mpg everywhere (unless you think about towing, then 7mpg)
unable to get off pavement for any reason and not get stuck
       (seriously got pulled out by a 2wd 4wheeler (Honda trx300) by my 11 year old daughter)
transmission shit the bed for no reason at 21k miles

I will never own another, most people I know that have owned and soon sold have done it due to mpg, mine was unreliable in the drivetrain
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#40]
2000 Tundra, first year made.  150,000 flawless miles, only problems have been O2 sensors.  Love it.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:29:12 AM EDT
[#41]
I had a '15 CrewMax, no problems other than the low mpg.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:06:47 AM EDT
[#42]
2003 original owner here. 336k miles. Minimal issues. Started died at 135k. Broke the door unlock cable around 200k. Replaced the radiator at around 320k. Other than that it’s been solid. 4.6 motor has had the timing belt/water pump/pullies replaced every 100k(ish) miles so that precludes lots of issues. (That’d roughly the recommended service interval so I don’t count that as a problem). When it wore michillen LTX tires it’d get 20mpg on the highway. Always.  Replaced with ko2’s for field work and mileage dropped to 16ish.  

Sr5 package and nowhere near the gizmos new ones have but I love it. Only thing I’d change is I wish it was 4WD.  I’ve grossly overloaded the bed hauling a pallet of tile one time and numerous times had the bed loaded level to the rails with treated lumber. It’s never cared.

Never once left me stranded nor worried. I’d load up and go across the country in it today if I needed to.  Fwiw. The interior isn’t as fancy as newer ones but the QUALITY of the materials imho is far higher. Even the plastic trim is noticeably higher grade than my friends 2008.

Not too sure I’d buy a new one with that little turbo 6 though.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:31:11 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
2003 original owner here. 336k miles. Minimal issues. Started died at 135k. Broke the door unlock cable around 200k. Replaced the radiator at around 320k. Other than that it’s been solid. 4.6 motor has had the timing belt/water pump/pullies replaced every 100k(ish) miles so that precludes lots of issues. (That’d roughly the recommended service interval so I don’t count that as a problem). When it wore michillen LTX tires it’d get 20mpg on the highway. Always.  Replaced with ko2’s for field work and mileage dropped to 16ish.  

Sr5 package and nowhere near the gizmos new ones have but I love it. Only thing I’d change is I wish it was 4WD.  I’ve grossly overloaded the bed hauling a pallet of tile one time and numerous times had the bed loaded level to the rails with treated lumber. It’s never cared.

Never once left me stranded nor worried. I’d load up and go across the country in it today if I needed to.  Fwiw. The interior isn’t as fancy as newer ones but the QUALITY of the materials imho is far higher. Even the plastic trim is noticeably higher grade than my friends 2008.

Not too sure I’d buy a new one with that little turbo 6 though.
View Quote

I've only got 30K on my 18, I think I will hang on to the v8 for as long as I can.  LOVE the truck
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:36:27 AM EDT
[#44]
2017.  It tows and carrys things that I need it to. No complaints other then that the entune infotainment system is absolutely terrible.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:46:03 AM EDT
[#45]

@BigDeeeeeeee

Looks exactly like my 19, just a different package. What lift is on it? That looks niiiicee!
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:48:31 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Sounds like a good deal but I need the crew max for car seats.

I may have a line on a 2019 for $20,000 if I'm patient.
View Quote
@mdguy90

I would be VERY skeptical of a 2019 for $20K.  Most will be going for $35+.

There is some sort of catch with that one.  And probably a BIG catch.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:50:44 AM EDT
[#47]
My 2011 Rock Warrior has been a great truck but the gas mileage has TANKED recently and we can't figure out why. Went from 15-17mpg highway to like 8-10. Compression and all the other sensors and tests come back normal.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:51:16 AM EDT
[#48]
My daughter's boyfriend bought a 2021 to 'get the last of the v8s'.

He has a full size work truck that he drives most of the time but he likes the Tundra well enough.  It's probably got 5k miles on it by now.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 9:51:19 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Learning a lot here.  Thanks.  

I changed my 2018 crew max platinum.
1.  Tinted windows
2.  Bed cover.   This has been a game changer.  
3.  I put a bed step in.  Really helps with my knees.

I'd like to de-tune the engine a bit if it helps with mpg.  Otherwise no further plans.  

I've read about changing the horns out to something massive, but I ain't gonna do it.
View Quote
Regearing the rear end would be the simplest way to get better mpg on the highway. Stock is a 4.30, which is pretty aggressive.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

@BigDeeeeeeee

Looks exactly like my 19, just a different package. What lift is on it? That looks niiiicee!
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@BigDeeeeeeee

Thanks, it's a 6"RC I think, I haven't crawled around under there.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top