BCM
User Panel

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 9:07:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
After hitting 2 deer in less than 18 mos. causing $5k in damage, I mentioned to the insurance adjuster I was thinking of one of these bumpers on my truck.  He said not a good idea.  It may not protect you and if you are in an accident with another vehicle it will cause excessive damage to the other guy.  He did not approve.  What says the GD.
View Quote

You need to find a new insurance rep.I have a Ali Arc deer bumper on my big rig and hit a deer two years ago. I caught the deer with the corner and flipped it around causing the deer to slam into the side of the fender and crack it. When I talked to the insurance adjuster about the damage and told her it would've been worse without the guard she seemed glad I had it on. Without the guard I would've needed to replace the entire hood(the newer 9900's have a one piece hood), bumper, headlight assembly, and who knows what else.

Also, if you are going to hit an animal and have the time make sure to line it up as close to the center as possible to avoid flipping it around into the side of the vehicle.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 9:07:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
NJ Forest Fire Service.

If I could get them to hook up my Jeep, I would.

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRW6jp5P5D8fFBf2a4OFWEAz4d2EsHkeyDNHt7LKyohKupwd2aB
View Quote

Massive

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 9:28:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Buck Stop
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 9:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
My old Chevy had a Ranch Hand legend on it. I hit two deer and it never even left a scratch either time. Definitely worth the money!

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 9:49:41 AM EDT
[#5]
the only valid purpose of these things is obliterating the shit out of any creature of vehicle misfortunate enough to get in your way

they should be forged out of pure hatred - giving a fuck about what they look like is for bitches
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 10:17:07 AM EDT
[#6]
I designed my own off the Ranchhand bumpers.  Because I didn't want to have to replace my stock bumper I essentially made a heavy duty guard to cover the entire front end.

The tubing is 2" ID (fairly thick walled - I think it was .094" or thicker) and the solid risers are 3/8" plate.  It bolts directly to the front of the frame and to off-road guard Ford had below the bumper.  These pictures were taken less than a year after I made it and before I had it sand blasted and powdercoated.  Its been on my previous and current truck for about 3 years now.  Thankfully haven't hit anything yet but I have no doubts it would protect me from a deer.  Enjoy!

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 10:42:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

you know, the energy transfered from the impact will not be increased because of more metal in the way.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I bought my wife her Yukon I went to a truck accessory shop in Dallas and told the salesman I wanted a grill guard for the wife's news truck should she hit a deer. He explain that unless I wanted to put a Ranch Hand on it, the other models were simply cosmetic and often did their own damage to the vehicle when they got pushed back into the front end. I thanked him for his candor and didn't bother putting anything on it.

That is true.  In the LC world we call those " light bars" damage multipliers.  Get a real bumper and real protection or nothing at all.

you know, the energy transfered from the impact will not be increased because of more metal in the way.

A minor fender bender that may only dent the stock bumper will smash your hood and fenders though, thus multiplying the damage incurred

Case in point:

Link Posted: 12/24/2013 11:07:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I like my Road Armor
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 11:39:57 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A minor fender bender that may only dent the stock bumper will smash your hood and fenders though, thus multiplying the damage incurred

Case in point:

http://forum.ih8mud.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=62765&stc=1&d=1142700334
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
When I bought my wife her Yukon I went to a truck accessory shop in Dallas and told the salesman I wanted a grill guard for the wife's news truck should she hit a deer. He explain that unless I wanted to put a Ranch Hand on it, the other models were simply cosmetic and often did their own damage to the vehicle when they got pushed back into the front end. I thanked him for his candor and didn't bother putting anything on it.

That is true.  In the LC world we call those " light bars" damage multipliers.  Get a real bumper and real protection or nothing at all.

Case in point:

so you are saying that the deer or whatever that hit the upper part of that grill guard bending it into the fender would NOT have had the energy to do any damage had it hit the fender itself
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 11:58:46 AM EDT
[#10]
Fab Fours is what I'm saving my pennys for currently. I love the look but damn they are $$$$.

I've had a couple ranch hands on old trucks but yes too farmer joe looking for my 2012 Ram 3500.
Link Posted: 12/24/2013 12:09:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

so you are saying that the deer or whatever that hit the upper part of that grill guard bending it into the fender would NOT have had the energy to do any damage had it hit the fender itself
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case in point:

I'm saying that the bumper that hit the lower portion of that pos and levered it against the hood and fenders would not have damaged anything beyond the bumper.  You know those pieces of shit are only attached at the tow points on the bottom of the frame, right?  Are you familiar with the concept of how a lever works?  
Link Posted: 12/25/2013 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#12]
I put a Go Rhino guard on the front of my Tahoe...  mostly for a light mount. I don't expect it to do well in a wreck... but it will save my bumper if I need to push a car.
It provides a step for me to get into the engine compartment and also a place to mount my four 130w Hella driving lamps.

The price was under $300.  I cannot fathom spending $1500+ on a new front bumper.

I've since added two more lights... for a total of four. Now it looks like an LE Tahoe when I come up behind people... causing them to slow down almost every time. That gets frustrating on a 1-lane road, but on the interstate it works great... because every time I creep up behind someone, they get out of the passing lane and slow down to let me pass.

Link Posted: 12/25/2013 5:24:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I'm saying that the bumper that hit the lower portion of that pos and levered it against the hood and fenders would not have damaged anything beyond the bumper.  You know those pieces of shit are only attached at the tow points on the bottom of the frame, right?  Are you familiar with the concept of how a lever works?  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Case in point:

If you buy one that is built to stop deer vs being a decoration it will stop/prevent damage.  Take a look at the pictures of the one I built... If a deer bends that my airbags would have surely deployed to totaling my truck.  Now I will have to have sufficient impact (suh as with a vehicle or solid object) to set the airbags off.  Mine will not act as a lever unless two 5/16" grade 8 bolts break in tensile... And even then a 1/2" grade 8 bolt would need to shear before it will pivot.

Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top