Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:26:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Fishbone - Was always a fan and I saw them in 1992 (right at their peak before they started having internal problems and members started leaving regularly).  That was a great show they were on fire all were keyed up and looked like they loving where the were.  The pit was crazy, Angelo was climbing all over the balconies around the room like a spider.  It was a great show.

I have seen them many times since and still a great show but just hasn't been the same.  I watched the documentary on them recently (came out around 2010) and they pretty much self-destructed the year after that show.  They are still together but the two original members practically hate each other.  The documentary made me see Norwood as a very cool guy who I didn't know much about before, and I am 100% with him on hating Angelo's theremin.

--
Gin Blossoms - Not really my thing, just some 90s band, but I caught them as an opening act and they put on a great show.
View Quote
I have seen Fishbone several times. All were great shows! High energy.

Never saw the Gin Blossoms. Even though they were kind of local.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:28:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Rob Zombie.

I got dragged to that concert. But wow... what a show!
View Quote

His brothers band, Powerman 5000, was like that for me.  Got dragged to a show of them and Kid Rock around 2000.  Powerman 5000 did a great job and I was impressed.

That was Kid Rock's peak and he went all out on that show.  The most indoor fireworks I ever saw, elevating stripper poles with dancers - He was living it up.
That audience (HoB) was the greatest amount boobs I ever saw in a room without a cover charge.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Danny Thomas

Most probably don't know who he is and no I'm not a boomer. I was in Atlantic City some years back and the boss had bought everyone tickets to his show.
I grew up seeing acts like The Who, Clash, Aerosmith etc.

I thought it was going to be a snooze fest. Danny basically opened up with a monologue of jokes and then sang some songs. I was mistaken, they guy was a class act.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:30:25 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Jason Mraz.  I went years ago mostly because it made a girl happy.  Turns out the guy is actually really well educated and trained in this music stuff and mostly does shit-pop because it's what makes money.
View Quote

My wife drug me to a Jason Mraz concert and I was not looking forward to it.

He had like 15 instruments in a line on stage, and proceeded to play each one of them one-by-one during a bunch of his hit songs. Still not a huge fan of his music, but holy shit that was impressive. Talented dude.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:36:36 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Took a girlfriend to a John Mayer concert 15 years ago. Was surprisingly entertained. Dude’s a badass on the guitar.
View Quote

He used to sit in with Buddy Guy at his club down in Chicago and that shit was amazing. John Mayer is a fucking badass.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:48:20 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Two.

Chris Ledoux and Dwight Yoakam
View Quote
Chris Ledoux was one of the first shows I ever worked when getting into live sound in the early 90s.

I'll never forget standing by his monitor guy, and him smiling at the end at the show and telling me to cover my ears. He covered his, too, and then there was this huge pyrotechnic explosion.

I had never heard of Chris Ledoux, but I was like, this guy is alright. I was not expecting the kind of bombastic performance that he delivererd. It was a singular night of high energy among a week of rather boring country music at some fair in Lubbock.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:49:03 AM EDT
[#7]
blues traveler.

Saw them only because they were playing a few nights before Rammstein at the same venue. Turned out to be a great show.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 11:55:11 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Fishbone - Was always a fan and I saw them in 1992 (right at their peak before they started having internal problems and members started leaving regularly).  That was a great show they were on fire all were keyed up and looked like they loving where the were.  The pit was crazy, Angelo was climbing all over the balconies around the room like a spider.  It was a great show.

I have seen them many times since and still a great show but just hasn't been the same.  I watched the documentary on them recently (came out around 2010) and they pretty much self-destructed the year after that show.  They are still together but the two original members practically hate each other.  The documentary made me see Norwood as a very cool guy who I didn't know much about before, and I am 100% with him on hating Angelo's theremin.

--
Gin Blossoms - Not really my thing, just some 90s band, but I caught them as an opening act and they put on a great show.

Over the years we’ve established that we lived in the same area at the same time. I actually hung out with the Gin Blossom guys a handful of times. Seemed like good dudes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:04:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to work a local music festival, and saw some acts that I had heard of but really didn’t listen to all that much. Marcus King Band really stood out and will make a point to go see again. Margo Price was another that stood out for me. And Sheryl Crow puts on a solid show, very professional
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:20:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Taj Mahal...I went to a show he was doing in Portland Oregon at the Stary Night club in N.W. Portland (AKA Scary night club).  I liked him before the show so I  thought seeing him live would be good.  He walked out on stage with a guitar, and sat down.  I expected him to do a song or two before his band came out, but it was just him and his guitar.  There was no back up band ..just a one man show, and he was spectacular for about 1.5 hours for the first set, took a short break, came back and did another long set all by himself, and again he was spectacular.  

I was stunned that any artist would have the balls to do a show that was about 3 solid hours of music and singing all by himself...and he was really, REALLY good.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:23:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Robin Williams.  Bug nut crazy, but it was obvious his brain worked at ten times the speed mine did.  Unbelievable how quick he was working the crowd.
View Quote

Seconded. I got a chance to talk to him for 20 minutes offline in K2, and watched him spontaneously riff off crowds of people just walking around camp. No script, no prep, just a stream of consciousness that had to be two or three times faster than most people's thought process. His suicide was such a loss, he would be an amazing voice of clarity in the world today.

To the OPs question...Alison Krauss and Union Station. I was on the second row, probably fifteen feet from the stage at a small outdoor amphitheater. It was the closest thing to perfect fidelity I've ever seen.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:30:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#13]
buddy dragged me to a prince show in the 90s. i fully expected to not be into the show, but it was amazing. he was incredibly talented as a musician and showman. not to mention, 90% of the audience were big tittied women in spandex bodysuits.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:33:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Peter Gabriel.

Fantastic ability to make a powerful impact with minimalist effects.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:46:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Pink Floyd and Metallica

Absolute perfection!

Yes. I have diverse taste in music
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:50:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Pete Townsend.

That crazy fucker ran around the stage for two hours, non-stop. And yes, he did smash his guitar on the stage.

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:54:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Rush
Power Windows tour
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 12:59:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Prince.
The beastie boys.
Bruno Mars.  

I didn’t like any of their music beforehand. Left impressed and with a new respect.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:04:45 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Rush
Power Windows tour
View Quote
Mr. Big

Saw them live opening for Rush. Presto tour? Their album wasn't nearly as good as their live performance.

Never saw them again. They put on a good set.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:07:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Vanilla Ice + TMNT?   Could it get any more "1990" than that?  
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:09:48 PM EDT
[#22]
Listening to Michael Bublé last year at Little Caesars arena in Detroit was like listening to his songs on the radio. Absolutely perfect voice. He’s super funny too.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:09:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Of Monsters ans Men. I was kinda meh on the band but took my daughters to see them. They were better live than on the radio, awesome show.

I'll give the runner up spot to Guns and Roses. Wife dragged me to their reunion tour, I had zero interest but played the supportive husband. I gotta say they rocked, especially for a bunch of guys pushing 60. Sounded awesome, even the vocals, and played for 2+ hours. Axel was a little chubby, but he was still hitting those high notes.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:10:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Two.

Chris Ledoux and Dwight Yoakam
View Quote

Chris Ledouxs live show were always a blast
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:10:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Rod Stewart.

Guy was 74 years old when I saw him. Totally rocked, working his ass off and has a million hits I had forgotten about.

He seemed to be having a great time as well.

Totally worth going to the show.
View Quote

Great performer. Also sounds like a super nice guy.

When I was young, I always assumed that he probably partied his ass off after every show, hanging out with celebrity chicks and snorting coke off of strippers and stuff... because a lot of his songs / videos were that way.

Then I found out that nope, he actually goes back to his hotel and builds/paints model railroad cars (he would bring a bagful of models along on tour).

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:12:03 PM EDT
[#26]
Christie at the Body Shop in Sandy Ego
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:12:47 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I bought the wife and her cousin Justin Timberlake tickets a few years ago. Her cousin didn't go, so I ended up going. That guy is talented as hell and a great entertainer.
Luke Bryan. He's NOT country by any means but he is a good entertainer.
Also another vote for Kid Rock, he puts on a hell of a live show.
View Quote

I remember seeing 5 year old Justin Timberlake competing against 5 year old Leanne Rhymes in Star Search.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:13:16 PM EDT
[#28]
Darius Rucker and Dan & Shay.
I was a fan of Darius but he sounded so impressive live.

Dan from Dan and shay is insanely good! He is somehow actually better live than the radio can translate. Really could be one of the best vocalist of all time. Me and the wife were like “why is Shay even here?”.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:18:56 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
buddy dragged me to a prince show in the 90s. i fully expected to not be into the show, but it was amazing. he was incredibly talented as a musician and showman. not to mention, 90% of the audience were big tittied women in spandex bodysuits.
View Quote

I don't do concerts - no reason other than not bothered about it - but his halftime show made me a fan. I thought he was a cheap Michael Jackson impersonator before that.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:28:10 PM EDT
[#30]
Post Montrose, pre Van Halen solo Sammy Hagar as an opening act.
"How is this man not a superstar?"
The live album from that period is one of the most underrated albums ever.

Also Cheap Trick as an opener.

Rush and Foghat confirmed my existing love.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:28:19 PM EDT
[#31]
Girlfriend dragged me to see Joe Bonamassa a couple years ago. I really wasn't familiar with him at the time, but he put on one hell of a show. I became a fan that night.

Seen Iron Maiden twice now. If there's a better band live, I'm not aware of it.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:29:51 PM EDT
[#32]
I bounced for Shinedown. Their live performance was impressive, and they were courteous, kind, and respectful. I can say the same for Blues Traveler.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:34:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Kiss. They were co headlining a show and I honestly wanted to skip their act. A couple of people we were going with wanted to see them so I decided to suffer through it. They ended up being fantastic and stole the show. Still don't love their music, but I at least understand the popularity of their live shows and why they have such a following now.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:40:30 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Girlfriend dragged me to see Joe Bonamassa a couple years ago. I really wasn't familiar with him at the time, but he put on one hell of a show. I became a fan that night.

Seen Iron Maiden twice now. If there's a better band live, I'm not aware of it.
View Quote

Oh yeah, how can I forget Joe Bonamassa! I was second row at a Kenny Wayne Shepherd Band show and JB was opening. Never heard of him and couldn't even pronounce his name. After the second song my jaw was on the floor. I've seen him probably 10 times since.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:42:10 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:48:25 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#37]
These days, any artist who can perform their art without spewing about politics, left or right.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:56:04 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Took a girlfriend to a John Mayer concert 15 years ago. Was surprisingly entertained. Dude’s a badass on the guitar.
View Quote

Saw him with the Dead & Company at Alpine Valley a few years ago. When I originally heard he was playing with them, I was not expecting much.

Was absolutely incredible IMO.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 1:56:49 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Before Bono got all preachy, U2 used to put on a great show.  Saw them a few times back in the day.
View Quote
disliked bono but went for a girl...damn good show

also
Garth Brooks
not a country fan but I won tickets to see him back in the day,he was doing 2 shows that night and we stayed for both and the amount of energy the guy put into it was impressive and earned a lot of respect
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:00:16 PM EDT
[#40]
Most of them.

Fairly underground but the Locust live was a force to be reckoned with. I wasn’t a fan until I saw them and their drummer decimated everything.

Also Nickel Creek. No live band can get the chills going for me like they can live.  

Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That brigs back some mammaries.
View Quote

The Rose of Rosecrans
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:06:05 PM EDT
[#42]
Matchbox 20.
I got forced to go back around 2000. I was actually impressed with the singer, he did quite a bit on the piano when the band was on break and at the end of the show they turned the lights almost off to where you could barely see the stage and played Led Zeppelin’s ramble on. I was floored, they did it perfect.

Rollins Band. (My first concert ever)
Went to see them in the early 90’s at a small club and the bus had to pull up to the front door. Henry made his way to the door and talked to everyone as he went in.
Corrosion of Conformity was supposed to open but Henry came out and said they were too messed up to play so Rollins Band came out and played from 7pm to almost 1am. The band would need a break so he’d do some spoken word stuff for 30 minutes or so and the band would come back out. That was an experience for me at 16 years old.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:11:18 PM EDT
[#43]
James Brown-old man power and put on a hell of a show-mid 1990's

Jimmy Hendrix-went expecting a lot and got way more than I bargained for-late 60's
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:12:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Electric Wizard in Portland, may 2018.

Heavy on album, even heavier in person.

The fact that Jus busted a string mid song, calmly walked off stage, grabbed another SG, came back and kept playing like nothing happened was awesome. Felt like you didn't miss any part of the music. No other noticeable mistakes.

The vintage bondage and war footage projected in the background was interesting as well.

The heaviest rendition of Funeralopolis as the closing song was the icing on the cake.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#45]
Maxwell....

He said, "Fellas, I know none of you want to be here but if you just let me do my thing, hang in there with me, and don't mess it up, I guarantee you'll get some pussy after this show...."

He was right...
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:12:51 PM EDT
[#46]
Leo Kottke
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:22:48 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Taj Mahal...
View Quote

An American treasure. We had second row center in a small theater, absolutely a perfect performance and sound.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:32:35 PM EDT
[#48]
KISS. 1977
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:34:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Chevelle they sounded like their album live.
Shinedown another awesome performance.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:34:55 PM EDT
[#50]
I saw alabama at the bowery before they hit it big.  They played their own instruments.  Very common for country artists to use studio musicians when recording.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top