User Panel

Page / 5
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:38:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:39:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A lot of our subscribers like the jokes and memes.

Glad you found some of it interesting
View Quote
I live on gear and ammo reviews. He's on to something good with these.  
I'd like to see AR15.com and Brownells push some serious gear and ammo content.

It would make everyone a lot more money
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:45:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 6:56:22 PM EDT
[#4]
So 300 blackout is not the round to get into, is that what this guy saying?  I was looking at a AR pistol in 300 blk
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:02:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
So 300 blackout is not the round to get into, is that what this guy saying?  I was looking at a AR pistol in 300 blk
View Quote
There are better performing, proven loads available in 300blk.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:27:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
You are good. Hes just saying that the ammo tested was not the best for the 300BO. Follow the ammo recomendations here with the Barnes 110 and the Hornady. And youll be gtg.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 8:48:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You are good. Hes just saying that the ammo tested was not the best for the 300BO. Follow the ammo recomendations here with the Barnes 110 and the Hornady. And youll be gtg.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I seem to remember reading that the Nosler 110gr Varmageddon bullets worked well at .300 Blackout velocities, but I don't believe it's available as a factory load.

The Barnes 110gr TAC-TX really does seem to be the best factory round available for just about any application (other than subsonic use).
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:03:19 PM EDT
[#8]
How was this guy selected to be the official video guy of Arfcom?
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:07:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'd like to see a 110-120gr SCHP in .277" loaded into a 6.8 SPC at 2500-2600 fps from Federal.

I'm a dinosaur....flame suit on.
View Quote
You’re alright in my book.   I just walked upstairs from my underground lair where I was assembling my 6.8 rem SPC2 upper.  I need another ejection port door rod c clip.  Little bastard flew into the black hole.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:25:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks 70satvert!
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:27:29 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
'o-?jiv

Ogive

like: "Oh, you jive turkey"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIVbuqsjgvw

PS: Guns are always loaded.

Of interest relative to the 300 BLK was the work done by @Fat_Mcnasty.

His sub-sonic design had jacket expansion doing most of the tissue damage and it was quite effective as a hunting load for me.
View Quote

I tested that years ago. The REAPR was legit in sub and super. You know, for a .300 aac.

Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:36:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
He recommends the Hornady 110 gr SST, but Hornady doesn't even list that on their website. The lightest in that bullet caliber is a 125 gr.
View Quote
I'm sorry. I meant the 110gr Vmax. In 7.62x39mm, the 123gr SST is pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:41:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
What exactly is cringe about it?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
God these videos are cringe
What exactly is cringe about it?
Did you tell them I'm not wearing pants? You swore!

Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:47:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

I seem to remember reading that the Nosler 110gr Varmageddon bullets worked well at .300 Blackout velocities, but I don't believe it's available as a factory load.
View Quote
Sure they are. I have a few hundred rounds of it, and actually sent a box out to this guy to test:

Would You Trust This Varmint Ammo For Defense? Nosler .300 AAC 110gr Varmaggedon Gel Test

Pay special attention to the reviewer's comments from 2:50 on.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:59:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Sure they are. I have a few hundred rounds of it, and actually sent a box out to this guy to test:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OA0ehEaIEqg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the video! I'm always happy to be proven wrong, especially in this case when it means another awesome factory load to choose from!

It sounds like 110gr varmint bullets expand almost perfectly at .300 Blackout velocities, whereas they would likely fragment more and penetrate less if they were pushed any faster.

Does anyone know of any videos for the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip?
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 9:59:43 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
Nice vid.  I figured you meant Vmax because I thought I recalled you testing them before.

Not all Blackout builds are ARs or SBRs.  A 110 or 120 Barnes out of a locked breech 16” is sweet with a can and will put a coyote down quick beyond 400 yards.  The versatility out of the shorter guns is hard to beat as far as recoil, muzzle blast, decent bullets.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Love the Varmegedon. But I didnt know if he was into reloading.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Nice vid.  I figured you meant Vmax because I thought I recalled you testing them before.

Not all Blackout builds are ARs or SBRs.  A 110 or 120 Barnes out of a locked breech 16” is sweet with a can and will put a coyote down quick beyond 400 yards.  The versatility out of the shorter guns is hard to beat as far as recoil, muzzle blast, decent bullets.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can do quite a bit with it with handloads too. Not even at max charge and I got a 125 TNT to 2400 fps from a 16".
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 10:12:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Thanks for the video! I'm always happy to be proven wrong, especially in this case when it means another awesome factory load to choose from!

It sounds 110gr varmint bullets expand almost perfectly at .300 Blackout velocities, whereas they would likely fragment more and penetrate less if they were pushed any faster.

Does anyone know of any videos for the Nosler 125gr Ballistic Tip?
View Quote
You're welcome, and you are correct. The .308 Vmax and the Varmageddon at 300 velocities are great for two legged varmints.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 11:11:43 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
That's a better way to put it. Buy what makes you happy. I'm not super into .300aac but it's certainly adequate for anything a civilian is likely to need. This load is okay, but not ideal.
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 11:13:22 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Barnes 110gr TAC-TX really does seem to be the best factory round available for just about any application (other than subsonic use).
View Quote
Would You Trust This Varmint Ammo For Defense? Nosler .300 AAC 110gr Varmaggedon Gel Test
Link Posted: 12/20/2019 11:31:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

That's a better way to put it. Buy what makes you happy. I'm not super into .300aac but it's certainly adequate for anything a civilian is likely to need. This load is okay, but not ideal.
View Quote
So....who exactly is the target audience of your videos?  You've made it clear your take on .300blk.

Just thinking about your comments from another thread, honestly, us civies don't need to base our HD load out on if we can penetrate 1/4 inch plates unless we are engaging in activities where we can likely expect bad guys (or good guys) to come through the door wearing plates, hell bent on killing us.

"Adequate" is an understatement.  I'm pretty sure anyone catching 110gr V-max/Tac-tx at +2000 fps with their sternum is going to have a rotten day.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:16:33 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
300 AAC is kind of a slow kid, but copper bullets usually shine. Today's gel test is going to be 120gr PowerShok in .300 Blackout, from Federal. @chopinbloc shoots it through an 8" AR-15 into calibrated 10% ballistic gelatin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R083QZG-_2w

Follow ARFCOM!
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ar15com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/ar15com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ar15com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/ar15com/
View Quote
Its ok OP I like your videos and find them informative keep it up.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:52:39 AM EDT
[#24]
If our SF guys like it....  Think I'll trust and go with their judgement.....
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 2:45:07 AM EDT
[#25]
I would have liked to have seen this round compared to the rounds he claims are "better" performing.   I mean it may be completely true that a faster 7.62/.308 rifle round would be better but show us a few rounds of decent blackout ammo and a few rounds of decent 7.62/.308 and let us see the difference in penetration, expansion, and wound cavity and let us make our own decisions as to which is better for our intended purposes and how much better it really is and if it is worth the extra size and recoil of the larger 7.62/.308 rifle.  All we saw so far was one specific rounds performance and we were told how it is inferior to others which were not tested or shown.

I prefer to see actual results and tests if someone is going to compare one round to another.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 6:38:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Do other 300 BLK loads have better terminal ballistics?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 8:05:31 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I would have liked to have seen this round compared to the rounds he claims are "better" performing.   I mean it may be completely true that a faster 7.62/.308 rifle round would be better but show us a few rounds of decent blackout ammo and a few rounds of decent 7.62/.308 and let us see the difference in penetration, expansion, and wound cavity and let us make our own decisions as to which is better for our intended purposes and how much better it really is and if it is worth the extra size and recoil of the larger 7.62/.308 rifle.  All we saw so far was one specific rounds performance and we were told how it is inferior to others which were not tested or shown.

I prefer to see actual results and tests if someone is going to compare one round to another.
View Quote
Why not do a quick search for other tests to compare to? One test (Nosler 110gr Varmageddon) has already been posted in this thread, and Chopinbloc should have plenty more on his channel. I'd recommend looking for the Barnes TAC-TX and Hornady V-Max tests for a good comparison to similar loads.

As for 7.62/.308 tests, you'll just have to search the internet for what you are looking for. I can't imagine too many people testing and comparing .300 Blackout to .308 in the same video, so you'll just have to do your own research and make your own comparisons.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:13:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View Quote
Not to mention the extra muzzle blast. I have a Draco that is chambered 7.62x39 with an 11.5" barrel and the blast and concussion is stupid compared to a 300blk, even with a decent FH.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 9:23:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote
Better than what? The one in the OP?

I love the 115g CC because it reminds me of a bigger MK318 which I am a huge fan of.

What DAMAGE does a 300BLK Copper Projectile do??

I get roughly 2100fps out of my 8" and it frags down to 1400fps. Sheds it's jacket into 4-5 chunks of shrapnel, and has a core that stays intact to get deep penetration.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:09:10 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
So....who exactly is the target audience of your videos?  You've made it clear your take on .300blk.

Just thinking about your comments from another thread, honestly, us civies don't need to base our HD load out on if we can penetrate 1/4 inch plates unless we are engaging in activities where we can likely expect bad guys (or good guys) to come through the door wearing plates, hell bent on killing us.

"Adequate" is an understatement.  I'm pretty sure anyone catching 110gr V-max/Tac-tx at +2000 fps with their sternum is going to have a rotten day.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You. You are my target audience. While .300 aac is indeed adequate, 5.56mm is superior to .300aac in most respects.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:10:54 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You. You are my target audience. While .300 aac is indeed adequate, 5.56mm is superior to .300aac in most respects.
View Quote
I would argue not in an 8-9" barrel.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:11:37 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
If our SF guys like it....  Think I'll trust and go with their judgement.....
View Quote
Our SF guys like the MBITR you gonna trade in your iPhone for one?
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:12:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View Quote
If only that dude had already tested those rounds...
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:13:23 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes. Keep watching to the end of the video.

Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:15:25 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Better than what? The one in the OP?

I love the 115g CC because it reminds me of a bigger MK318 which I am a huge fan of.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ss_Giovirmw

I get roughly 2100fps out of my 8" and it frags down to 1400fps. Sheds it's jacket into 4-5 chunks of shrapnel, and has a core that stays intact to get deep penetration.
View Quote
Yeah, I really ought to have mentioned that one too.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:21:00 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Shorter barrels is where it excels.

I think a big problem with the terminal performance early on was all the 308 Win bullets shoe horned into the smaller cartridge, which lacked the the energy to get the desired terminal effects.

Now, bullets designed for it exist and have excellent terminal performance. It's short barrel performance blows 5.56 away. Where 5.56 beats is handily is at range, but most aren't using the blackout at long ranges.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:38:19 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
And I would argue that I need to test that hypothesis. I don't see much actual testing with a really short 5.56mm barrel, but we do have some data that we can extrapolate with. ballisticsbytheinch tested .223 from 7" and 8" barrels.

Remington UMC 55 gr, 8" bbl,  2,380 fps
Remington UMC 55 gr MC, 7" bbl, 2,190 fps
Hornady 55 gr sp, 7" bbl, 2,199

Bearing in mind that these are .223 pressure velocities, they seem to indicate that bullets that we have tested in the past at reduced velocities such as 62gr Fusion, M318, and M855A1 would still expand or fragment respectively. To be fair, .300 AAC might create a larger wound, but I don't think that it would be anywhere near handgun territory like a lot of people think. Any 5.56mm pressure 62gr bonded, 50-55gr solid copper hollow point (except maybe not the optimized TSX), and some of the pre-fragmented copper bullets like the Controlled Chaos would probably still perform like proper rifle rounds, with good penetration, expansion, and TSC. All of them should still be well above the threshold where TSC exceeds the elastic limit of tissue.

I'll give you that, in that narrow niche .300 AAC may perform better. But it's not as though 5.56mm is useless in a PDW sized gun and it's not like 8" is WAY lighter or handier than 10". And again, I'm not telling you that you shouldn't like .300 AAC, just what I said, that 5.56mm is generally better for most things. You do you, fam.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:55:04 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

And I would argue that I need to test that hypothesis. I don't see much actual testing with a really short 5.56mm barrel, but we do have some data that we can extrapolate with. ballisticsbytheinch tested .223 from 7" and 8" barrels.

Bearing in mind that these are .223 pressure velocities, they seem to indicate that bullets that we have tested in the past at reduced velocities such as 62gr Fusion, M318, and M855A1 would still expand or fragment respectively. To be fair, .300 AAC might create a larger wound, but I don't think that it would be anywhere near handgun territory like a lot of people think. Any 5.56mm pressure 62gr bonded, 50-55gr solid copper hollow point (except maybe not the optimized TSX), and some of the pre-fragmented copper bullets like the Controlled Chaos would probably still perform like proper rifle rounds, with good penetration, expansion, and TSC. All of them should still be well above the threshold where TSC exceeds the elastic limit of tissue.

I'll give you that, in that narrow niche .300 AAC may perform better. But it's not as though 5.56mm is useless in a PDW sized gun and it's not like 8" is WAY lighter or handier than 10". And again, I'm not telling you that you shouldn't like .300 AAC, just what I said, that 5.56mm is generally better for most things. You do you, fam.
View Quote
Check out PoBoy on the tube. He has done a lot of gel testing with a 7.5" 5.56.
MK318 does ok (expanded some but didn't frag) but most defensive rounds he tested either didn't expand or had a looooooong neck.

No, he didn't try m855a1, but that stuff isn't exactly readily available for most.

Even when you leave blast and concussion out of the mix, I feel 300blk is far superior to 5.56 in an SBR in a HD set up.

And I'm not saying a 5.56 in <10" barrel is useless either, or that you shouldn't use it, I'm just saying that there are better options.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you do end up testing 5.56 in really short barrels, can you please add a generic soft point to the list, preferably the Hornady 55gr SP? They can be bought in bulk for the same price as 55gr FMJ (bullets only, not loaded ammo), and I'm curious how well they expand at lower velocities.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:21:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Sample size of one.

Anecdotes are not data.

Repeat 30 times or GTFO.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:31:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 12:48:21 PM EDT
[#42]
I got into the .300blk thing for suppressed fun. Hopefully people don't manage to kill it off by bitching about imperfections. I hope its popularity continues to grow and that it eventually becomes as easy to find as .270, .30-30 and other common rifle loads that while not as popular as .30-06 or .223 are still sold "everywhere".

It fills a niche. Namely, gas operated, suppressed, subsonic AR pistols and SBRs and the ability to use everything from an existing AR but the barrel, including the magazine.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:01:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Our SF guys like the MBITR you gonna trade in your iPhone for one?
View Quote
What does that have to do with their thoughts on the 300 blk being good for shooting bad guys? Since the exact same terrorist groups overseas are active in the US what SF uses to kill them with would seem like pertinent information.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Check out PoBoy on the tube. He has done a lot of gel testing with a 7.5" 5.56.
MK318 does ok (expanded some but didn't frag) but most defensive rounds he tested either didn't expand or had a looooooong neck.

No, he didn't try m855a1, but that stuff isn't exactly readily available for most.

Even when you leave blast and concussion out of the mix, I feel 300blk is far superior to 5.56 in an SBR in a HD set up.

And I'm not saying a 5.56 in <10" barrel is useless either, or that you shouldn't use it, I'm just saying that there are better options.
View Quote
Do you mean poboyspecial? Do you have a specific link? Because all I see is a .45gr varmint load tested in clear gel. That doesn't tell us much.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:08:04 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

If you do end up testing 5.56 in really short barrels, can you please add a generic soft point to the list, preferably the Hornady 55gr SP? They can be bought in bulk for the same price as 55gr FMJ (bullets only, not loaded ammo), and I'm curious how well they expand at lower velocities.
View Quote
Good call. I'll see what I can do.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:15:30 PM EDT
[#46]
I don’t think that weak 300 will penetrate half of you.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:17:35 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

What does that have to do with their thoughts on the 300 blk being good for shooting bad guys? Since the exact same terrorist groups overseas are active in the US what SF uses to kill them with would seem like pertinent information.
View Quote
About as much as an MBITR has with you chatting with meemaw. Their needs are different. Unless you're telling me that your fire team sometimes has a need for one team member to kill a dog or bust a camera without having to carry a separate, dedicated rifle? You act like the tippy spear squad all swapped their 5.56mm weapons for 7.62x35mm. They didn't.

But still, if you want one, get it. That's cool. Guns are fun.
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:17:43 PM EDT
[#48]
OP's videos are informative and fairly well-produced. However, I have learned to ignore people who begin sentences with the word, 'so' and to question the wisdom of anyone who says, 'legit'...
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:26:23 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
OP's videos are informative and fairly well-produced. However, I have learned to ignore people who begin sentences with the word, 'so' and to question the wisdom of anyone who says, 'legit'...
View Quote
So, you are telling us that your judgement is excessively arbitrary and, questionable?

Legit!
Link Posted: 12/21/2019 1:34:32 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

About as much as an MBITR has with you chatting with meemaw. Their needs are different. Unless you're telling me that your fire team sometimes has a need for one team member to kill a dog or bust a camera without having to carry a separate, dedicated rifle? You act like the tippy spear squad all swapped their 5.56mm weapons for 7.62x35mm. They didn't.

But still, if you want one, get it. That's cool. Guns are fun.
View Quote
Do a head to head 5.56 vs 300 blk on gel behind auto glass or 300 blk subs vs soft armor. I think you will find some value there.
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top