Page / 5
Posted: 3/12/2017 11:30:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:39:49 PM EDT
[#1]
The Tomcat is a big sexy beast.

The F35 is a double bagger.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never understood why the F-14 got so much attention when the F-15 did far more damage to the enemy.  I suppose if Top Gun had been an Air Force movie things might be different
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:41:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The Tomcat is a big sexy beast.

The F35 is a double bagger.
View Quote

It is a fugly bird.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:42:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I've never understood why the F-14 got so much attention when the F-15 did far more damage to the enemy.  I suppose if Top Gun had been an Air Force movie things might be different
View Quote

All of the fight sequences would have taken place on a golf course.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:44:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote
Navy>Air Force.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:45:00 PM EDT
[#6]
What is the deal with all these national interest dot org articles being posted here lately?
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:46:34 PM EDT
[#7]
I fucking love the F14.

Link Posted: 3/12/2017 11:55:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Navy>Air Force.
View Quote

That, but I enjoyed violating AF girls more than most sailor girls. AF had prettier women on average.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:02:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The F15 had the Iron Eagle movies good movies just not top gun quality
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:03:42 AM EDT
[#10]
This is probably a dumb question but why don't they create another rendition of the F-14, like F-14E, but with newer engines and electronics? There would be way less R&D to create it from start to finish. Or is that like putting a brand-new Ferrari engine in a Dodge Caravan mini-van from the 80s.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:04:28 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Iron eagle was F-16
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:15:42 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
This is probably a dumb question but why don't they create another rendition of the F-14, like F-14E, but with newer engines and electronics? There would be way less R&D to create it from start to finish. Or is that like putting a brand-new Ferrari engine in a Dodge Caravan mini-van from the 80s.
View Quote

As much as I love the F14 and consider it the most beautiful plane ever built, it was a pig for maintenance, was not really a dog fighter, and in its age offered less and less to make it valuable to keep around. Cost to keep it in the air was getting too high.

Perhaps KA3B will be along to slap me around for being wrong on some points.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:28:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

They did eventually give it F110 engines to replace the TF30s.  The F-14D had some upgrades to the radar but I don't know how extensive they were.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:36:59 AM EDT
[#14]
Having to pull the AWG9 radar transmitter in and out of that bitch was NOT fun.

~185 pounds and the size of a medium suitcase positioned about 7 feet up, and it was always two of us scrawny fucks trying to lift one overhead and into the bay.

Not much weight for two people if you think about it, but for a teenager that didn't know how to use leverage or lifting techniques, it was a bitch and not a fond memory.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:50:46 AM EDT
[#15]
The entire Air Wing composition needs to be rethought.

The Cold War era air wings had excellent versatility.  I imagine with tech being what it is today that an Air Wing could specialize once again but with half the variety of air frames.  (Three different airframes can do the job of yesteryear's six airframes sort of thing)
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Iron eagle was F-16
View Quote

damn what movie am i thinking of then with the F15
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:03:17 AM EDT
[#17]
F18's and F35's are not good replacements for  an air superiority fighter or an all weather attack plane (A6 intruder)

If it ever comes to war in the South China Sea, we will be hamstrung
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:06:51 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

All of the fight sequences would have taken place on a golf course.
View Quote

No, they would have replaced the oiled up shirtless "tough guys" with fat females and obama voters in polo shirts.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

As much as I love the F14 and consider it the most beautiful plane ever built, it was a pig for maintenance, was not really a dog fighter, and in its age offered less and less to make it valuable to keep around. Cost to keep it in the air was getting too high.

Perhaps KA3B will be along to slap me around for being wrong on some points.
View Quote

Plus I think they've already crunched most of them. I'd like to think they've at least stripped them of any serviceable parts, like LANTIRN pods, engines, etc. But it's the gov't, so they probably just chopped it up and tossed it in a dumpster.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:16:53 AM EDT
[#20]
IIRC, the F-14 was decommissioned because the airframes essential wingbox that facilitates swing wing had expired in flight lifetime. It's a very complex system to maintain the wings.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:18:05 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
F18's and F35's are not good replacements for  an air superiority fighter or an all weather attack plane (A6 intruder)

View Quote

If we go to war with China, their aircraft are the least of our problems.

Even if you believe the zipper suits, that Chinese shit planes are scary, we spent $62 Billion on the F22 for air superiority, and are about to spend a bunch more to update it already. Then we  spent a trillion dollars on the F35 as a stealth strike aircraft. This was all done mostly in the name of China. If that money doesn't buy you the capability to defeat China...There's no amount of money or additional systems that our corrupt procurement could produce that will. China spends about $150 Billion a year on defense in total. We spent about 7 years of their entire defense budget on two stealth planes.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:28:44 AM EDT
[#22]
Lots of maintainers would disagree. Cost per flight hour on the Tomcat became too much. Antiquated cockpit and flight controls....dead meat in today's environment.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:34:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Anyone who thinks the F-14 should've stuck around any longer should see what maintenance on those things had become. They needed to go unless someone was going to buy new ones.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:50:55 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 1:59:08 AM EDT
[#25]

I thought this was all fake...

The F14 was great in its day, but, it was never meant to go head-to-head against the newer class of Russian and Chinese fighters. They all came out with more advanced models as well.

This is as close to the F24 tomcat that you are going to see near the water.

F24 Tomcat Boat
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:08:20 AM EDT
[#26]
300NM CAP stations, that's why.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:13:10 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Even if you believe the zipper suits, that Chinese shit planes are scary, we spent $62 Billion on the F22 for air superiority, and are about to spend a bunch more to update it already. Then we  spent a trillion dollars on the F35 as a stealth strike aircraft. This was all done mostly in the name of China. If that money doesn't buy you the capability to defeat China...There's no amount of money or additional systems that our corrupt procurement could produce that will. China spends about $150 Billion a year on defense in total. We spent about 7 years of their entire defense budget on two stealth planes.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 planes.

The F-35 A B and C are three different planes with some parts commonalities.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:15:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
4 planes.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4 planes.

What a bargain, three for a trillion!
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:17:12 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Lots of maintainers would disagree. Cost per flight hour on the Tomcat became too much. Antiquated cockpit and flight controls....dead meat in today's environment.
View Quote
Hydraulics nightmare
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:21:35 AM EDT
[#30]
All but 5 or 6 Tomcats have been chopped up and scrapped, and those were just saved to go on sticks.

Was working in the Boneyard last year and got to see them, sad sight to see for this ex-squid.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:30:43 AM EDT
[#31]
As a guy that worked on 'em, they sucked.  They were a maintenance nightmare.  Give me the hated Hornets any day of the week.
"Top Gun" movie fanbois miss them.  Guys that worked on 'em don't.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:31:52 AM EDT
[#32]
Tag for later to read, but the Tomcat was by far the worst of the teen series as an actual combat aircraft.

It is best thought of as the last interceptor.

In an age when the Carrier has only 4 squadrons... it's more trouble than it's worth.

Put an attack squadron back on a carrier... a VS squad... and a tanker detachment... and I'll rethink my position.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 2:39:34 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote

F-16s, Not F-15s
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:03:33 AM EDT
[#34]
Try return to base or black eagle. It's a ROK movie but pretty damn entertaining.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 3:34:09 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Iron eagle was F-16
View Quote

I guess "Iron Falcon" sounded too lame. Almost like an 80's hair metal fag band.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 4:59:06 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because the F14 airframe was a maintenance nightmare.  It's avionics were phenomenal (for it's generation), and it had new engines.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 5:27:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

damn what movie am i thinking of then with the F15
View Quote

Huh. Are there any movies that feature F15s?
Only one that immedlately comes to mind is Air Force One.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:04:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Huh. Are there any movies that feature F15s?
Only one that immedlately comes to mind is Air Force One.
View Quote

One gets shot down in red Dawn.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:15:16 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Iron eagle was F-16
View Quote

and not quality
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:18:43 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The entire Air Wing composition needs to be rethought.

The Cold War era air wings had excellent versatility.  I imagine with tech being what it is today that an Air Wing could specialize once again but with half the variety of air frames.  (Three different airframes can do the job of yesteryear's six airframes sort of thing)
View Quote

YOu are behind the times.  The USAF tried the Composite Wing Idea.  Not so good.  It is a logistics nightmare dealing with various parts and fixing a F15 is not the same as fixing a F16 and both are different from the F22.

We don't mix blocks of aircraft at a base if we can help it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:29:35 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sega almost gave the F-15 the proper credit it deserves.

Almost....

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 6:51:08 AM EDT
[#42]
Airforce one featured F15s
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:02:44 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

The F-15 wasn't made to be at sea, and launch off of aircraft carriers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:12:29 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I guess "Iron Falcon" sounded too lame. Almost like an 80's hair metal fag band.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iron eagle was F-16

In those films the F16s were referred to as Vipers.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:30:28 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Tag for later to read, but the Tomcat was by far the worst of the teen series as an actual combat aircraft.

It is best thought of as the last interceptor.

In an age when the Carrier has only 4 squadrons... it's more trouble than it's worth.

Put an attack squadron back on a carrier... a VS squad... and a tanker detachment... and I'll rethink my position.
View Quote

Yep.  We never replaced the long range attack of the A-6 Intruders and the tanking the KA-6Ds provided.  Never replaced the S-3 Vikings capabilities.  We have less planes on deck now total
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:38:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:40:37 AM EDT
[#47]
You can't have a F-14 thread without some Final Countdown!

F-14 Tomcat Scenes from "The Final Countdown" HD Part3

And viewed with theme music!

The Final Countdown 1980 theme John Scott

Other than Top Gun I bet The Final Countdown was the first time the general public ever got a good look at the F-14.....I was impressed.....Sexy Beast.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:50:08 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

Pffft, 5'ers with 300 posts....

Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:50:55 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Iron eagle was F-16

The F-16's official name is "Fighting Falcon", but "Viper" was commonly used by its pilots and crews back in the 80s, due to a perceived resemblance to a viper snake as well as the Battlestar Galactica Colonial Viper starfighter.
Link Posted: 3/13/2017 7:56:25 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
An F-15 wouldn't survive a carrier landing. Kind of important for a Navy aircraft. 
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 5
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top