Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:12:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Terror Birds documentary.

Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:27:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I used to know a guy who breed ostriches. One day he got cornered while cleaning the pen, after his hen had laid some eggs.

Anyway, he ended up in the hospital for a few weeks. He was lucky he lived through it. Worst part was, he had to kill his hen with a shovel to survive.
View Quote
Do not ever piss off an ostrich.

Same reason you don't piss off a cassowary.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 12:31:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Whatever. I would wig out and beat the fuck out of that thing. You could grab it's pencil ass neck and break it like a stick, or swing it around over your head like Conan the Birdbarian and bash it against a tree.
View Quote
Can I watch, or will you at least have someone take video?

(horizontal, if you would)
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 1:01:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Aunt/Uncle use to have Emus. I liked them although one hen was a bitch but after getting cracked upside the head with a broom handle one good time she never bothered me. Funny part was one escaped and the local PD got a call from a lady two streets over saying a dinosaur was in her yard. The funniest part was seeing my uncle load an adult Emu in a dodge caravan
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 1:03:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Aunt/Uncle use to have Emus. I liked them although one hen was a bitch but after getting cracked upside the head with a broom handle one good time she never bothered me. Funny part was one escaped and the local PD got a call from a lady two streets over saying a dinosaur was in her yard. The funniest part was seeing my uncle load an adult Emu in a dodge caravan
View Quote

A guy in my neighborhood used to a small flock of emus.  It was really funny because you could see them from the freeway which was very close to his property.  We used to get confused tourists driving around looking for the San Diego Zoo.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 3:05:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 3:17:00 PM EDT
[#7]
A guy that lives about half mile through the woods from my place has some emus. One of them figured out how to get in and out of the pen and would show up in the pasture occasionally. A new neighbor was having his house built between the emu farmer and my place. One day a group of Hispanic guys came running down to my end of the road all in a panic, looking back over their shoulders like Godzilla was chasing them.

I was working in the yard when they showed up, I finally got one to tell me what the hell was going on. All he could say was "Pollo Grande! Pollo Grande!" while pointing in the direction they came from. I figured out what happened then and burst out laughing, they weren't as amused as I was.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 3:27:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

"Wow.  That is the foulest feces I've ever smelled." --Dale Gribble exiting his truck, full of emus
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 3:47:23 PM EDT
[#10]
I got my ass kicked by a swan once. It tried to “Leda” me. I hit it with a stick and thought it was dead, but the mean fucker lived.

A feral emu attacked my cousin while he was on horseback. It proved to be a poor (and fatal) choice for the bird. His summary? “It’s scary as hell to have a bird that big coming at you. If I was on foot, it’d have killed me.”
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 3:51:46 PM EDT
[#11]
They're basically dinosaurs.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 4:00:19 PM EDT
[#12]
sweep the leg

with a weed whacker
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 4:03:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Whatever. I would wig out and beat the fuck out of that thing. You could grab it's pencil ass neck and break it like a stick, or swing it around over your head like Conan the Birdbarian and bash it against a tree.

no shit!!   i'll bring the popcorn and beers!!!
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:10:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hell, I'm tempted to offer to buy the video camera.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:16:55 PM EDT
[#15]
I ran into a wild one on the side of the road when I was near Cape Tribulation in Australia.

With all the poisonous and dangerou shit I encountered down there (which was a lot!) cassowaries are def around the top of the list in terms of things I didn't want to fuck with.
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 5:29:49 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
There were [are] a few free ranging cASSowaries by a former caregivers home. I guess they could handle winter in Michigan.
View Quote

Wildlife place next to the cement plant I worked at in Jersey had an Emu that would often escape. Fueling my truck one day, I turned around and Super Chicken was standing there staring at me. Scared the shit outta me!  All the other drivers thought it was pretty funny
Link Posted: 9/8/2020 11:06:00 PM EDT
[#17]
What round for moa?

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:16:32 AM EDT
[#18]

2,3,4,5 are scary as hell to think about
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#19]
As someone who grew up having ostriches around...fuck those things.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:37:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
They look smaller than the Australian Emu.

View Quote

Gigantic fuck off claws, aggressive and fast

They run towards you and then leap with the claws pointing forward.

They honestly scare the fuck out of me.  And I muck around with venomous shit here in Sydney
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:45:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

They honestly scare the fuck out of me.  And I muck around with venomous shit here in Sydney
View Quote

Train a Secretary Bird for security against the venomous critters.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 12:57:01 AM EDT
[#22]
I know the croc hunter Steve Irwin hated dealing with birds, said he'd rather deal with the crocs.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:05:11 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
What round for cassowary?
View Quote

Birdshot Silly
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:19:56 AM EDT
[#24]
Imagine a flock(?) of those birds released at a Antifa riot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 4:31:20 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Australia has a bad history of introducing things to deal with things...which goes wrong

Introduce Secretary Bird.  Secretary Bird flourishes in a food rich environment and has no natural predators.  Secretary bird becomes an invasive species
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 5:04:19 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Australia has a bad history of introducing things to deal with things...which goes wrong

Introduce Secretary Bird.  Secretary Bird flourishes in a food rich environment and has no natural predators.  Secretary bird becomes an invasive species
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Invasive species are usually introduced with good intentions, without regard to potential outcomes.  Most notable example I can think of offhand is the use of Kudzu as a means of erosion control.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:35:38 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Hmmmm, someone needs to release a flock of those in downtown Portland.
View Quote

is 'flock' the correct term for more than one?
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 8:50:17 AM EDT
[#28]
Had no idea they were that big.

Holy shit.

Jurassic Tweety.

Seems like an odd choice to keep as a pet.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:05:56 AM EDT
[#29]
OKC zoo has one.

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:31:57 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Birdshot Silly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Birdshot Silly

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 9:44:56 AM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 10:33:32 AM EDT
[#32]
So much for penguins.

(didn't even make the cut)
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 11:05:59 AM EDT
[#33]
My three ounce conure is scary when she gets hormonal.  Why anyone would keep a bird that size is beyond me.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:05:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Sooooo . . . no lions, tigers, bears, chimps . . . giant snakes . . .

And no crazy big birds.

Got it!

Am I missing anything?

Sharks! Definitely no sharks!

ETA: I know what would happen if I passed out in my chicken yard - and it occurs to me regularly when trying to hand-feed the hungry fuckers! Yikes!
View Quote

Don’t forget about crocodilians.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:20:57 PM EDT
[#35]
Example of the fact that birds are just contemporary dinosaurs.
Chicken stealing mouse from cat

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:23:22 PM EDT
[#36]

Plenty of birds have front facing eyes.   Notably, all of the predator birds like owls, hawks, eagles, etc...
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 1:57:31 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
View Quote

In college my buddy was a vet student and had a part time job at a zoo or some kind of animal place and asked me one day to head to Mobile and help him transport 4-5 emus from a ranch to the place he worked.  Didn't know anything previous about emus.  Found out right quick some things about emus.  1- they are fast. 2- They do not appreciate being laid hands on and have zero sense of humor.  and 3- They have NO interest in cooperating while being stuffed into a transport cage.  Easily one of the most exhausting days of my life.  If I had any clue how bad they could fuck you up, I think I would have declined his invite.
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:02:06 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Birdshot Silly
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Birdshot Silly

Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:06:40 PM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 9/9/2020 2:24:27 PM EDT
[#40]
Hmm, put a double run of fence around your property, and let a couple dozen of them run loose in there.

Put up signs: "Beware of the Birds."
Link Posted: 9/11/2020 4:44:12 PM EDT
[#41]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top