Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:09:58 AM EDT
[#1]
Orange mocha frappuccino!!!

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

because a cigarette can't ignite gasoline

i didn't do it when i smoked though

I know, I was bummed when I found that out. I tried to do the cool guy movie thing where you flick a smoke into a gas puddle, annnnddd.....nothing.  I would assume there is a risk of igniting fumes though, right?
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:10:32 AM EDT
[#3]
Did it for years without a problem. Maybe it'd be an issue if there was no breeze or you were locked in a bio-dome or something.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:11:12 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How bout if you bump the the end of a burning cigarette and dozens of burning embers fly off the end of the cigarette? Would that effect make it more prone to ignite the gas fumes or gasoline?

Anecdotaly. Never been able to get it to happen, but people claim it happened to them. Of course, people also claim they "accidentally" spilled gasoline on their girlfriend who was smoking and burned her up. According to the ATF, they generally go to jail anyway.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:18:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I was under the impression that a cigarette CAN ignite gasoline fumes. No????

The ATF tried it and couldn't get it to happen.  They were investigating claims by murder/arson suspects that they accidentally splashed someone who was smoking with gasoline, or that they dropped their cigarette and *woosh*.

What they found:
A pool of gasoline will extinguish a lit cigarette every time.
A cigarette will not ignite gasoline fumes, even if vacuum is applied to the cigarette to simulate a 'draw' or 'drag'.
A cigarette will not ignite misted gasoline, even if a vacuum is applied to the cigarette to simulate a 'draw' or 'drag'.

Mythbusters also 'busted' the cellphone myth and they tried extremely hard to get it to work.

How bout if you bump the the end of a burning cigarette and dozens of burning embers fly off the end of the cigarette? Would that effect make it more prone to ignite the gas fumes or gasoline?

Haha hell if I know, but probably not.  I can try it out later on, but it's going to be hard to "control" the random flying of embers.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:19:05 AM EDT
[#6]
I don't smoke but I think it's a really bad idea.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:23:16 AM EDT
[#7]
think fuel air explosives
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:29:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Not too risky.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:34:41 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was under the impression that a cigarette CAN ignite gasoline fumes. No????

The ATF tried it and couldn't get it to happen.  They were investigating claims by murder/arson suspects that they accidentally splashed someone who was smoking with gasoline, or that they dropped their cigarette and *woosh*.

What they found:

A pool of gasoline will extinguish a lit cigarette every time.

A cigarette will not ignite gasoline fumes, even if vacuum is applied to the cigarette to simulate a 'draw' or 'drag'.

A cigarette will not ignite misted gasoline, even if a vacuum is applied to the cigarette to simulate a 'draw' or 'drag'.

Mythbusters also 'busted' the cellphone myth and they tried extremely hard to get it to work.

Haha hell if I know, but probably not.  I can try it out later on, but it's going to be hard to "control" the random flying of embers.
A cigarette burns at 50-100 degrees below the temperature that fumes light.  Even if you hotbox its unlike to reach ignition temp.

Its lighting a cigarette at the pump that is dangerous, because that is hot enough.  However, the fuel to air mix has to be just right, and in open air that can be hard to achieve...

FWIW I don't smoke...  Quit a few years aog

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:38:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
think fuel air explosives

Correction, it's air to fuel ratio. Then you get into your LEL and UEL which are your lower and upper explosive limits. And yes, fumes is what cause gas to burn not the liquid itself.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:39:25 AM EDT
[#12]
I cant say that ive honestly witnessed this.

But for those that do engage in this activity...I vote stupidity or at best...absent mindedness.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:39:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Gasoline has a lower ignition temp then JP8 jet fuel
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:52:41 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

What do you think the fumes are?  They are a vapor form of the the gasoline so if the big brother "gas" won't ignite then it's smaller less powerful brother "fumes" won't blow up either

So all those grain elevator "explosions" were actually a government conspiracy... I KNEW IT.

Some material is more flammable in certain sizes and when mixed with oxygen, such as grain dust and gasoline fumes.

It's what makes fuel/air explosives so very, very wonderful.

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 9:58:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Ive never had anyone that dumb near me.  If someone was that stupid I would surely let them know.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:07:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Smokers and drunks...
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:14:20 AM EDT
[#17]
Not really an issue.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:22:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Smoke 'em if ya got 'em !

...except around babies or poor defenseless animals.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:23:27 AM EDT
[#19]
Meh, i used to smoke while filling up all the vehicles out in the field.  Can't remember how many gallons a HEMMT tanker carried, 4,000?

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:23:42 AM EDT
[#20]
seems like a bad idea in theory, but tons of people do it anyway.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:23:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Because they want to win a Darwin Award.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:25:08 AM EDT
[#22]
I pulled into a gas station that a pump left on auto-fill didn't click off.  A huge pool of gas formed under the car and caught fire.  It was a sight to remember.

I never walk away from the pump while its running and I sure as hell wouldn't let anyone smoke near me.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:25:58 AM EDT
[#23]
Hey OP, I'll bet you are one of the people who think cars explode if you fuel it while it's running.  

I don't see people SWPing all the time, but if you saw a guy doing it, you can be assured that it was relatively safe.  

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:38:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
What do you think the fumes are?  They are a vapor form of the the gasoline so if the big brother "gas" won't ignite then it's smaller less powerful brother "fumes" won't blow up either

You should totally prove that. Use a video camera.

You really want to watch a video of a cigarette slowly burning out while nothing else happens? Might as well watch golf

His comment wasn't about a cigarette. His comment was that if gasoline can't ignite then the "fumes" can't either. Which is nonsense because the "less powerful brother 'fumes'" is what gasoline doing stuff is all about.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 10:54:15 AM EDT
[#25]
No, It's Stupid

every time I see somebody smoke while I get gas I have to shake my head. Not sure while people do that

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:07:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Not a good idea.

In the smokers' defense, however, it should be pointed out that gasoline will extinguish a lit cigarette.

Not the fumes....
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:07:53 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I wouldn't do it, but I can't recall ever hearing about a fire or explosion occurring at a gas station because someone was smoking.

A kid here was burned VERY badly when his older brother did.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#28]
Same reason why people do all kinds of other stupid, very dangerous  things like tailgating, weaving in and out of traffic, keeping their finger on the trigger when they aren't shooting, etc. 9 times out of 10, nothing happens. But when it does all go wrong, the person is either dead or regrets it until they are.
Link Posted: 4/11/2011 11:21:40 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but it will ignite the vapor, and that ignited vapor can kill you.  I have received some fire fighting training, gasoline is dangerous stuff, don't mess around with it.

hey if you can prove a cigarette can ignite gas vapors then go ahead and i'll believe you but it can't

Link Posted: 4/11/2011 1:32:36 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

No, but it will ignite the vapor, and that ignited vapor can kill you.  I have received some fire fighting training, gasoline is dangerous stuff, don't mess around with it.

hey if you can prove a cigarette can ignite gas vapors then go ahead and i'll believe you but it can't

this calls for some scientific testing.  I'll be standing over there ––––––––––––––->
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#31]
I'm kind of surprised that almost 13% of us think that this behavior is OK.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 4:25:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Anyone whom is stupid enough to smoke cigarettes is stupid enough to gas up while doing it.

I know smart people smoke too........but I really hate cigarettes.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:28:42 AM EDT
[#33]
My motorcycle dealer has a pressurized can that he shoots gasoline out of to clean some parts of a bike.   He's used it in front of the firemen that stop by his shop, probably with a cigarette hanging out of his mouth at some point....they just shake their head....

Actually I don't think I've seen him smoking lately so he might have quit.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:31:40 AM EDT
[#34]
Meh....God's way of getting shed of idiots.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 6:34:31 AM EDT
[#35]
I love the people who leave their car running too...  
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 7:02:33 PM EDT
[#36]
Yeah, that drives me crazy also.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 7:03:43 PM EDT
[#37]
your engine is hotter than the cig cherry
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 7:05:24 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Huh?  Really? Dude, you're toking away on a Lucky Strike while gassing up your truck?  

Sure doesn't appear to be a good idea for anyone involved in the immediate area.

But, I'm sure some folks here do that as well.

myth busters took on this, and turned out that there was zero harm in it
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 7:16:23 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Why are people so worried about hyped-up non-scares?

Anyone ever heard of a fire being started due to an already burning cigg and gasoline? I doubt it.

Actually, yeah.   I have a mechanic uncle who was lit on fire in a gas vapor explosion at a dealership.   Lit cigarette thrown to the floor nearby.

Link Posted: 4/12/2011 7:19:36 PM EDT
[#40]
I think it's stupid that so many people that a cigarette is going to blow up the gas station like in the movies.  Gas is not a high explosive, and unless you are pumping gas inside a tent the vapors are not going to build up enough to cause an explosion, period.
Link Posted: 4/12/2011 7:22:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Picture this..... Billy and misty have just left the beaches and are out of beer and smokes... Billy jumps out and starts to gas up his 95" Ford F150 while misty runs inside the store in her cut off shorts, flip flops, bikini top and don't forget the little beer belly lopping over the top of them daisy duke size 12 shorts... She sticks her head out the store door to yell if Billy wants a "slim Jim" them comes back to the truck the whole time opening a pack of smokes... She loads up everything in the truck into the baby seat in the middle only then to light the fucking cigerette.. She then walks around the side of the truck to where Billy is gassing up the POS, the whole time I'm praying that Darwin will strike like an fist of an angry god....

Did i paint that well enough???Slug-O

Why'd you have to put them in a 9th gen. F150?

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top