Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 2:57:36 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
OOO, cool hats man.
View Quote

Just wait til you see the shiny ones with horsehair plumes.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:04:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Not all UK military dress like that though.

Here's my brother (60 years old with 43 years service) in his dress uniform raising the flag to half staff a couple of mornings ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105044/sunrise-2519800.jpg
View Quote

Didn't he lower it to half staff?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:12:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Going into combat is about the dumbest thing a person can do. So, militaries worldwide have their troops do stupid things in order as part of their conditioning and to make sure they will willingly follow orders when under fire.

And then it becomes a bit of a threat display to other countries to have your troops do stupid things in public, like wear those hats. Anyone who would wear one of those hats would slow march through an artillery barrage if ordered to do so.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:22:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I appreciate pedantic observations!  

Perhaps they came from Russia.  I was never involved with any of it, and just had a few conversations with the sergeant in charge of the Guard Company armory.  So I might be misremembering, or perhaps the Poles were selling us Russian skins.  

All I knew was that I needed to make friends with the armory sergeant so that I could trade in my dad's old uniform for new stuff.  It is pretty much impossible for a private citizen to own a bear skin hat and a full uniform, and it took a lot of time and effort - and cost - for me to end up with one.  
View Quote

Is there a guy at the Danish Army version of CID that still has a case in a dusty file cabinet for the Missing Bear Hat Caper?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:22:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
It signifies when a Brit soldier gets his head stuck in his miss’s snatch. One soldier in particular was in so deep, never to be found again. He is honored with the womb of the unknown soldier.

View Quote

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:25:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Look at these goofy lookin bums

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:27:07 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:29:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]

Military parade dress and funny hats are synonymous.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:43:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Taller making them look more menacing, and the hats were made of bearskin. Horses don't like the smell, which makes it effective against cavalry, or at least that's the story I've read.
View Quote
This.  Grenadier helmets.  They picked the biggest guys and gave them even bigger hats to make them look very large and imposing.  They were line infantry, but they also had grenades, hence grenadiers.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:48:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The five regiments of the Guards Division (Grenadier Guards,
Coldstream Guards,
Scots Guards, Irish Guards, Welsh Guards) plus the Royal Scots Dragoon Guards,
Honourable Artillery Company, and King's Royal Hussars still wear the bearskin cover. Enlisted wear skins taken from the Canadian black bear, officers from Canadian brown bears.

The tradition goes back to Waterloo. The 1st Foot Guards of Wellington's army fought against the French Imperial Guard, who wore bearskin caps. They whooped their asses, and as a tribute, incorporated the bearskin into the dress uniform. It started with the Coldstream and Grenadier Guards, I believe, and then migrated to the other regiments.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Synthetic now but those used to be real bear fur.

You have a citation for that?

Denmark experimented with synthetic as early as the late 50s, but concluded it wouldn't work. Currently  the black bears used for the skin are sourced from Poland.

I believe Britain tried some synthetics in the 2000s, but my understanding was that it similarly went nowhere, and actual bear skin is still used.  I believe the British army gets their raw bear skins from Canada.

Coldstream Guards,
Honourable Artillery Company, and King's Royal Hussars still wear the bearskin cover. Enlisted wear skins taken from the Canadian black bear, officers from Canadian brown bears.

The tradition goes back to Waterloo. The 1st Foot Guards of Wellington's army fought against the French Imperial Guard, who wore bearskin caps. They whooped their asses, and as a tribute, incorporated the bearskin into the dress uniform. It started with the Coldstream and Grenadier Guards, I believe, and then migrated to the other regiments.

IIRC the 1st Foot Guards became the Grenadier Guards after Waterloo.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:55:46 PM EDT
[#13]
On a motorcycle you "Drive where you are looking". Maybe they are hoping the enemy will "Shoot where they are looking" and hit the hats instead of their bodies.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:56:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:58:03 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:59:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#17]
You need to study the history of the British army especially the Napoleonic wars.

There is a lot of symbolism involved.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

And fur coats would look feminine...
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
"Why Does The British Army Have Giant Fur Helmets?"

Well....... because........ fur gloves and fur socks would just be retarded

And fur coats would look feminine...
Orly?

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 4:17:16 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 4:24:40 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I own a fur coat.  
View Quote
You and your homies back in school?

Which one are you?

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 4:37:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, it gets taken down at sunset and put back up at sunrise.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Not all UK military dress like that though.

Here's my brother (60 years old with 43 years service) in his dress uniform raising the flag to half staff a couple of mornings ago.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/105044/sunrise-2519800.jpg

Didn't he lower it to half staff?

No, it gets taken down at sunset and put back up at sunrise.

And it would typically be raised to full staff then slowly lowered to half staff.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 5:01:29 PM EDT
[#22]
I think the Crimean War was the last time the Brits wore Bearskins in combat.  At least by infantry.  Scarlet jackets were last used in the field during the First Boer War.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 5:08:48 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Synthetic now but those used to be real bear fur.

You have a citation for that?

Denmark experimented with synthetic as early as the late 50s, but concluded it wouldn't work. Currently  the black bears used for the skin are sourced from Poland.

I believe Britain tried some synthetics in the 2000s, but my understanding was that it similarly went nowhere, and actual bear skin is still used.  I believe the British army gets their raw bear skins from Canada.

Coldstream Guards,

Correct
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 5:30:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Good video of them doffing and donning the hats here. Starting at 7:50. Never saw the part with them laying their rifles down before.

You can see some of them wrestling with getting the hat back on. I presume it has to fit tight, since the chinstrap isn’t used.

Question I have is, how long would it would have stayed on back in the day if you had to run or do any basic bayonet movements, even with a chinstrap. Looks like a PITA.

Charles III proclaimed king in historic ceremony - BBC News
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 5:57:11 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
It keeps your attention away from the world class sh!tty rifles they've been fielding since WWII. They went from the best battle rifle of the war, the SMLE. To all those stupid bullpups. When HK 'fixed' them they threw away everything but the sheet metal receiver and replaced everything else.A
Wonder if the palace guards could have every defended the Queen/King from anything except obnoxious American tourists.
OOO, cool hats man.
View Quote

No love for the FAL through the majority of that time period?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 5:57:39 PM EDT
[#26]
India-Pakistan Border Ceremony | BBC Studios
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:11:19 PM EDT
[#27]
There was a time in History, when all the Tier 1 soldiers wore tall hats.  

Those are a Tribute to that time.    Plus, they store extra mags and grenades up there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#28]
I think a mid 19th Century document expresses it best: "In order to present a more tremendous appearance."
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:34:42 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
It keeps your attention away from the world class sh!tty rifles they've been fielding since WWII. They went from the best battle rifle of the war, the SMLE. To all those stupid bullpups. When HK 'fixed' them they threw away everything but the sheet metal receiver and replaced everything else.A
Wonder if the palace guards could have every defended the Queen/King from anything except obnoxious American tourists.
OOO, cool hats man.

L1A1... '54 -'94
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:37:22 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Of all the interesting traditions and uniforms around the world, one of my favorites are the French foreign legion pioneers/sappers  Their dress uniform has a leather apron and an axe, and I believe a beard is required.
View Quote

Definitely unique.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:38:20 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Not to be overly pedantic, but all the bears in Europe are brown bears, and the brown bear range just barely (lol) enters Poland. You sure they aren’t imported from Russia or Canada or the US?
View Quote

Well, that's a first for you.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:49:14 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/18486/4F1551C7-E7DB-4FA5-B7DD-16E92C54CCB6-2522143.jpg
May I present, the Drum Major for the United States Marine Corps band.
View Quote

Fake mil.  

Military bands since the decline of cadence marching into battle serve zero purpose and should have been disBanded decades ago.  

When I worked a HQ Exec position I had to review all our Air Force Band decorations,  Imagine all the worthless shit you need to write in a medal narrative for a band member and then make it sound extra gay.  That's the Air Force Band.  It's not even high school marching band level these days.  More comparable to a woke garage band you'd hire on the cheap for a high school party.  My boss at the time thought they were a joke -- his words.  

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:51:17 PM EDT
[#33]

A couple of those dudes are chicks.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:55:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Well, that's a first for you.
View Quote

Thanks bro.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:55:30 PM EDT
[#35]
MEAT HELMUTS IN RANGOON

The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:57:01 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Fake mil.  

Military bands since the decline of cadence marching into battle serve zero purpose and should have been disBanded decades ago.  

When I worked a HQ Exec position I had to review all our Air Force Band decorations,  Imagine all the worthless shit you need to write in a medal narrative for a band member and then make it sound extra gay.  That's the Air Force Band.  It's not even high school marching band level these days.  More comparable to a woke garage band you'd hire on the cheap for a high school party.  My boss at the time thought they were a joke -- his words.  

View Quote

The USMC Band is in fact “fake mil,” but they are all very accomplished pro musicians.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:05:06 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Because they kicked Napoleon’s ass and stole the Frenchies hat style.
View Quote

This is my understanding too. Post-Waterloo the Guards we’re authorized to wear them. In the earlier Revolutionary War (against ‘Murcia) they had mitre caps (think pope type hat).
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:06:11 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:16:43 PM EDT
[#39]
British Grenadiers wore bearskins during the American Revolution. Was mainly for " intimidation". Reenactors on the Battle Road near Concord:Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:46:49 PM EDT
[#40]
BTW: One of the poll options was supposed to be "Okay Boomer Thread Is Okay Boomer," but I forgot before I hit "submit."

So feel free to add that choice in your comments.

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 7:48:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:01:02 PM EDT
[#42]
A fun book for anybody looking into all of the pre-WW1 British Army weirdness that still informs it today is "Mr. Kipling's Army." https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Kiplings-Army-All-Queens/dp/0393304442

It starts off noting that during most of the Victorian period there was not a single person who was actually in charge of the entire British Army as a whole, and the Army and Royal Navy basically pretended the other didn't exist. And then it gets weirder from there.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:01:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

If by "3rd World morons" you mean the French, then yes.  
View Quote
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:03:29 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

The USMC Band is in fact “fake mil,” but they are all very accomplished pro musicians.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Fake mil.  

And the other USMC Bands not at 8th and I have to go through Parris Island like everybody else. Then, of course, there's the combat history of the 28th Infantry's band.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
When I was looking for pictures in my arfcomMedia library for the lanyards, I found this image (where I added the Brazzers logo).

Enjoy  

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/1715/68492.JPG
View Quote

Is that his step dad?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#46]
I think it's a euro thing.  Have you seen some the weird shit the royals put on their heads on special occasions?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 8:19:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I bet those things in the summer time are absolutely brutal
View Quote

The advantage they have in the UK is the summer is mild there, low to mid 70s as a high even in July and August, barring a heatwave.
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
From a vid I watched about the coronation ceremony of...well...you know.

What's up with these ginormous fur covered helmets anyway?

Like, what's the deal?

Was there some war, two or three hundred years ago, in which the British Army found it somehow advantageous to wear helmets that were, like, 8 feet tall?

I mean, really?

I don't get it.

Discuss the shit.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/49274/BigHelmets2-2521816.jpg
View Quote

There's a fascinating series on Youtube about this very unit called "Guarding the Queen" and they go over their uniform in detail.  I recommend watching it if you have the time.

Guarding The Queen Episode 1

Link Posted: 9/11/2022 10:04:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Never mind.
Link Posted: 9/12/2022 6:45:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 3
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top