Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Posted: 10/10/2021 7:56:35 PM EDT
Joel Osteen to return $4.4M pandemic loan.
https://nypost.com/2021/10/10/joel-osteens-lakewood-church-to-repay-4-4m-in-ppp-loans/

So a few things about Osteen.

1. Returning a loan isn't really doing much since you were supposed to pay it back in the first place. (that's why it's called a loan.) But the media is reading this as some sort of admission of wrongdoing.

2. Small thinkers like to point out separation of church and state but the PPP loans were for organizations who employ people regardless of their mission. He employee 350 people at his church. (I bet some of them aren't even Christians. Just really good at organizing events.) The loans were granted to support employees, not to set up a national religion.

3. He doesn't take a salary from his church for his religious activities. Folks wonder how he can be worth $50, well, he sold 100 million copies of one of his books and he has 13 other best sellers. He gets paid 100-200k per speaking engagement and can easily do three a day because of his private jet. Why on earth shouldn't he be worth that much? And his jet is nice, I'm sure, but there is a good business purpose for it. If it costs 10k a day to fly and he can eek out 3 instead of 2 speaking engagements over flying coach, then it's paid for itself.

4. During the floods they had that goofy notion that he's supposed to turn his church into a hotel. It holds 16,800 spectators. As if it's stocked with bedding, food, and toiletries for people to sleep there. They just have concrete floors and uncomfortable stadium seats. I believe they tried this with the New Orleans Superdome during Katrina with terrible results. Yeah I wouldn't want to do that to my church either. If he had opened his church up to people the media would be all over about how it isn't a shelter and the terrible conditions. He made the right choice.

5. How on earth can anyone think he's skimming from his church when he has a perfectly lucrative side business and probably views his church as a loss leader to sell his books and speaking engagements? This is different from Jim and Tammy Baker. They actually did take money directly from the plate.

6. And there are lots of motivational speakers who refer to God and religion as a base for what they do. Is he just suffering from McDonald's syndrome where he happens to be the biggest target?

No I'm not a follower. Never read his book, never attended his events. I don't even know what he sounds like. Just tired of media BS and think he hasn't gotten a fair deal.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:58:01 PM EDT
[#1]
FJO
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:58:24 PM EDT
[#2]
He preys on weak people.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:58:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Read Jude's letter. It's the 2nd to last book of the Bible. Right before Revelation.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:59:25 PM EDT
[#4]
He doesn't bother me at all.

I never listen to him.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 7:59:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Scam artist
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
He preys on weak people.
View Quote

Yup. I dated a woman who just went all in for JO. She was a certified slut and he made her feel better about herself. Her self-esteem was 0. JO preys on people like that.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:00:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Prosperity gospel and such.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:00:31 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Joel Osteen to return $4.4M pandemic loan.
https://nypost.com/2021/10/10/joel-osteens-lakewood-church-to-repay-4-4m-in-ppp-loans/

So a few things about Osteen.

1. Returning a loan isn't really doing much since you were supposed to pay it back in the first place. (that's why it's called a loan.) But the media is reading this as some sort of admission of wrongdoing.

2. Small thinkers like to point out separation of church and state but the PPP loans were for organizations who employ people regardless of their mission. He employee 350 people at his church. (I bet some of them aren't even Christians. Just really good at organizing events.) The loans were granted to support employees, not to set up a national religion.

3. He doesn't take a salary from his church for his religious activities. Folks wonder how he can be worth $50, well, he sold 100 million copies of one of his books and he has 13 other best sellers. He gets paid 100-200k per speaking engagement and can easily do three a day because of his private jet. Why on earth shouldn't he be worth that much? And his jet is nice, I'm sure, but there is a good business purpose for it. If it costs 10k a day to fly and he can eek out 3 instead of 2 speaking engagements over flying coach, then it's paid for itself.

4. During the floods they had that goofy notion that he's supposed to turn his church into a hotel. It holds 16,800 spectators. As if it's stocked with bedding, food, and toiletries for people to sleep there. They just have concrete floors and uncomfortable stadium seats. I believe they tried this with the New Orleans Superdome during Katrina with terrible results. Yeah I wouldn't want to do that to my church either. If he had opened his church up to people the media would be all over about how it isn't a shelter and the terrible conditions. He made the right choice.

5. How on earth can anyone think he's skimming from his church when he has a perfectly lucrative side business and probably views his church as a loss leader to sell his books and speaking engagements? This is different from Jim and Tammy Baker. They actually did take money directly from the plate.

6. And there are lots of motivational speakers who refer to God and religion as a base for what they do. Is he just suffering from McDonald's syndrome where he happens to be the biggest target?

No I'm not a follower. Never read his book, never attended his events. I don't even know what he sounds like. Just tired of media BS and think he hasn't gotten a fair deal.

View Quote

I'm an atheist and he still disgusts me with his false witness, just like all televangelist hucksters.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:00:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Con man
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:00:54 PM EDT
[#10]
Osteen is a motivational speaker and has several best selling self help books.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:00:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Creepiest motherfucker on Earth. Like he makes the Taran Tactical guy look like Ryan Gosling.

I wish I had his charisma though. Dupes eating out of the palm of his manicured hand. Lambs to the slaughter.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:01:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Joel Osteen is an insufferable cunt.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#13]
Joel Osteen is a short Tony Robbins
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:02:25 PM EDT
[#14]
If he came back tomorrow,
There's something I want to know.
Would Jesus wear a Rolex watch
On his TV show?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:02:47 PM EDT
[#15]
If the arm wavers are dumb enough to fork over their cash to him then he must be doing something right.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:03:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I remember my elderly Grandma back in the 1980's, gushing over Jim Baker and Tammy Faye....

Google tells you how that ended.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:03:52 PM EDT
[#17]
He makes money off of gullible people.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:03:57 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm with OP.  I don't watch him or any televangelists, but don't understand the hate.  Our culture is in tatters.  Osteen is the least of our problems, if he's a problem at all.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:04:17 PM EDT
[#19]
OP, what on God's earth would make you post this?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:04:57 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
He preys on weak people.
View Quote
This. He preaches something that simply isn't in the Bible. Literally a wolf in sheep's clothing.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:05:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm with OP.  I don't watch him or any televangelists, but don't understand the hate.  Our culture is in tatters.  Osteen is the least of our problems, if he's a problem at all.
View Quote

Agree. I respect people’s right to be fools.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:05:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Anyone that uses God or religion to prey on people is the worst kind of person. I know people say "there are no stupid questions," but they are dead wrong.

Thread is bad and OP should feel bad.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:05:31 PM EDT
[#23]
People like him that pervert the gospel for personal gain are likely going to hell. If Jesus was around today, do you think he’d be doing $100k speaking engagements, writing bestsellers, and jetting around the world on a private jet? Obviously not.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:05:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

I don't hate him. I watch in open mouthed amazement that someone that odd can have thousands, maybe millions of gullible people sending him money.

If anything, it's player hate. His pimp hand is STRONG.

Also he looks like a cartoon.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:06:08 PM EDT
[#25]
You serious, Clark?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:06:15 PM EDT
[#26]
He probably has lunch with Wayne Lapierre to discuss techniques and strategies
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:06:29 PM EDT
[#27]
I don’t know a lot about him but if he’s bringing people to Jesus I can’t complain too much.

His reasons for doing it are between him and God.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:06:34 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote
Is this where you continue to dig a hole when people reply but you keep moving the goal posts?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:06:38 PM EDT
[#29]
People hate him because he's made a fortune from his "evangelism" work.  

His home.  

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:07:31 PM EDT
[#30]
I don't listen to JO nor have I read his books.  Everyone hates a rich Christian.  Even though he may not be one, but who am I to judge.  

He can do his thing and I will do mine.....as in mind my own affairs with God.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:07:49 PM EDT
[#31]
He's a false witness.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:07:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I don't know a lot about him but if he's bringing people to Jesus I can't complain too much.

View Quote
He's not "bringing people to Jesus," he's bringing them to him. This mindset is a very dangerous one to have.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:10:10 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
He's not "bringing people to Jesus," he's bringing them to him. This mindset is a very dangerous one to have.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don't know a lot about him but if he's bringing people to Jesus I can't complain too much.

Like I said, I don’t know much about him, if that’s not what he’s doing then I’d definitely have a problem with it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:13:16 PM EDT
[#34]
I was with you until Number 4.

People wee out in the street with no shelter.

It might have kade little business sense to use his facilities, but it's supposed to be a Church, not a business.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:13:37 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
People hate him because he's made a fortune from his "evangelism" work.  

His home.  
https://investormint.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/03/joel-osteen-mansion.png
View Quote

C’mon, what about that doesn’t just embody everything Christ taught?
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:14:37 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Prosperity gospel and such.
View Quote

This is my main concern.
Prosperity gospel is a scam IMHO. But if the followers feel like they’re getting what they want from it, who am I to judge?

He’s selling a product, and if the consumers are satisfied, so be it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#37]
I don't hate him,  I just think he's a phony SOB.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:15:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:15:35 PM EDT
[#39]
Attachment Attached File

Their beliefs page say all things that I agree with and are orthodox. His teachings about best life now and all that though is contrary to so many things in the Bible it’s not even funny.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:15:39 PM EDT
[#40]
If he wasn't a preacher, he'd be a used car salesman
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:16:19 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
If he wasn't a preacher, he'd be a used car salesman
View Quote
This is the best post in the thread.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:18:15 PM EDT
[#42]
He's on after the leftists on ABC I watch Sunday morning to see what enemy is doing, it's really disgusting so many people buy into it.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:18:28 PM EDT
[#43]
If you are a Bible-believing Christian, you know that Osteen is leading people to Hell.

Ready proof: Osteen published a book called Your Best Life Now. If you believe the Bible, you know that there is someone who wants this to be your best life, and it ain't God.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:19:39 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
There was some member here that was a preacher in Florida IIRC.  He said he was friends with JO and posted some photos of them together.  The thread was very creepy.
View Quote

Was that the same guy who was really, really into supervising and mentoring the young teenage girls?

http://www.sheriff-okaloosa.org/wp-content/pdfs/newsreleases/2014/Nov.%2014%20-%20Church%20Chaplain%20Charged%20with%20Lewd%20and%20Lascivious%20Battery.pdf

https://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/sops/flyer.jsf?personId=101541
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:20:13 PM EDT
[#45]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:20:21 PM EDT
[#46]
He goes jogging with his dick root out.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:20:59 PM EDT
[#47]
Personally don't care if someone makes a living off motivational speaking. I do care he claims religion to get a tax break.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:21:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:21:32 PM EDT
[#49]
I want to prosper and wish to be blessed with a large collection of class 3 firearms.

Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:23:04 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:
There was some member here that was a preacher in Florida IIRC.  He said he was friends with JO and posted some photos of them together.  The thread was very creepy.

Was that the same guy who was really, really into supervising and mentoring the young teenage girls?

http://www.sheriff-okaloosa.org/wp-content/pdfs/newsreleases/2014/Nov.%2014%20-%20Church%20Chaplain%20Charged%20with%20Lewd%20and%20Lascivious%20Battery.pdf

https://offender.fdle.state.fl.us/offender/sops/flyer.jsf?personId=101541

Attachment Attached File
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top