Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:00:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In this thread, Evangelists get triggered by social media Groupthink.
View Quote
Madmike:  You were saying............................
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:03:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

In any group of people you get some ego maniac assholes with extremely high opinions of themselves.  That being said all of the polling I've seen seems to suggest on average atheists are more educated than highly religious people.  See the pew global website for polls.  

If someone is more educated than someone else they may or may not be more intelligent...
View Quote
Lots of folks become indoctrinated to liberalism with "more education", thus the claim that liberals are smarter. Chicken or egg?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:04:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
OP, atheists sure do have a monopoly on claiming intellectual superiority:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BXLqDGL1FSg
View Quote
I love that video for two reasons.

A.) Today's banana is practically a man made fruit modified into its current form by years of selected cultivation. It is very little like its natural predecessors at all.

B.) Explain to me a coconut.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:05:25 PM EDT
[#4]
A sense of superiority is useful in being able to breezily dismiss other opinions or perspectives that threaten one's own.

That's generally true; atheists have no claim of exclusivity on that one, but many of them do find it useful.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:05:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Atheists are exactly the same as Theists. Both are dumb as fuck.

Agnostics - the empirically driven master race.
View Quote
Sometimes the ability to say "I don't know" is the greatest wisdom of all.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:08:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Good for Huxley ay?

Yeah, I mean its not like we should use the definition of agnosticism from the guy that coined the term in the 1st damn place.

Lets just roll with madmike66's idea of what it is, you know, just because.

Bless your heart for trying.
View Quote
It existed before Huxley.  He popularized the term, but the philosophy existed well before it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:09:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:10:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Because they are apes.
View Quote
Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape!
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:11:05 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Why does the OP care?
View Quote
Because he's trolling. You can't troll without bait.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:11:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Atheists are smart because you have to be smart to not get sucked into the religion delusion.  Free thinking requires intelligence and if you worship a magic sky fairy you are not intelligent enough to be a free thinker.  

Also intelligent atheists can rock a bitchin fedora.

I rest my case.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:11:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Madmike:  You were saying............................
View Quote
If you aren't triggered by the OP's examples, it doesn't apply to you does it?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:14:08 PM EDT
[#12]
there are multiple types of intelligence. they may feel that they excel at logical intelligence, but fail miserably the others.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:19:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
there are multiple types of intelligence. they may feel that they excel at logical intelligence, but fail miserably the others.
View Quote
No there isn't.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:19:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Heres a tip that has served me well. Any time that someone needs to announce that they are the smartest guy in the room, they arent.  

Any time someones argument is rooted in them being the smartest person in the room, they arent.

Specific to this, the imbecile who claimed a 150 iq and speculated it was higher than "any theist", doesnt have a 150 iq and is incredibly naive.

The scary smartest people i know were never the ones that told me how smart they are.  Sometimes it took a while for me to figure out how smart they were, but to a person, none ever felt the need to tell me anything about their intelligence.
View Quote
Please don't throw all-inclusive generalities and expect traction.

Gotta generally agree.  (I also hate the "Well, I have a PhD" argument where the fact of the PhD itself is expected to settle the matter rather than facts.)  But (here's a counterexample to kill the sweeping "all cases" stuff)  ... autism.  Some autists have no intellectual disability but something very different.  Yet the social awkwardness could indeed induce one to make that statement from the idea it would be useful in some way.  Naive, sure.  But generally autists operate not instinctively (somatic markers) in social situations but within a constructed analytic framework long internalized.  Is the result of that IQ statement as intended?  Probably not.  Does learning occur and behavior change?  Sure.  But the statement was made, and it might actually be true.

Fringe case, statistically speaking?  Absolutely.   But it exists.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:19:48 PM EDT
[#15]
I have been a member of Mensa since 1985, when I was at 98.5 percentile.  In 2005 I retook the test and am at the 99th percentile.

I am a Christian.  I am willing to scan in proof of my IQ, if the Atheist here are willing to do the same.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:19:58 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If you aren't triggered by the OP's examples, it doesn't apply to you does it?
View Quote
My point  is triggering goes both ways.........always does in theses Atheist versus God threads.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:22:19 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I have been a member of Mensa since 1985, when I was at 98.5 percentile.  In 2005 I retook the test and am at the 99th percentile.

I am a Christian.  I am willing to scan in proof of my IQ, if the Atheist here are willing to do the same.
View Quote
The one man I know who is in the Triple 9 Society is a Biblical/Historical Scholar and Christian.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:22:20 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I'm way smarter than jesus. 
View Quote
Peter may have been dumber than a sack of rocks but had great faith; Paul was the scholar.  Jesus didn't seem to care about SAT scores any more than he did about height or hair color.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:29:39 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:30:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Notice how all these highly intelligent atheist feel the constant NEED to belittle anyone of faith. 

Proves they are insecure in some way. If your smarter and you know better you would just carry on and ignore those who believe in fairy tales. 

Its like they have to keep reminding themselves that they are better. 
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:32:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Atheists are exactly the same as Theists. Both are dumb as fuck.

Agnostics - the empirically driven master race.
View Quote
Agnostics are largely pussy Atheists.

You either believe or you don't. You just call yourself an Agnostic? You don't know whether you believe or not? Bull.

You either believe (Theist) or you don't (Atheist). Claims to knowledge are a separate question (Gnostic/Agnostic).

* granted, it can get complicated in that one can be a hard-Agnostic (claiming it's absolutely unknowable, I know it's unknowable).
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:33:44 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Not to mention, much of the science they love to blather on about it conceptual/hypothesis/a stab in the dark at this point.

They will tell you beyond a shadow of a doubt that God did not create the universe. That it didn't just pop into existence because some sky daddy made it so.

Then.....you turn around and ask them how the universe was created and their best answer is the big bang......AKA it just popped into existence for no reason. Seems legit.

What is time? What is consciousness? How did the universe begin? It HAS to have a beginning....and there had to be something here before it.....where does the universe exist? How did the universe come into existence, and from what/where?

These are the questions that will make you really question everything if you really think about it. And the truth is, the theist answer is just as valid as the atheist answer at this point.
View Quote
The Singularity existed before the Big Bang.

You can look up the good objective evidence we have for your questions.

The theist answer is not just as valid as the answer that has good objective evidence for it.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:35:50 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

You either believe or you don't. You just call yourself an Agnostic? You don't know whether you believe or not? Bull.

You either believe (Theist) or you don't (Atheist). Claims to knowledge are a separate question (Gnostic/Agnostic).
View Quote
How are claims to knowledge a separate question?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:36:57 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Notice how all these highly intelligent atheist feel the constant NEED to belittle anyone of faith. 

Proves they are insecure in some way. If your smarter and you know better you would just carry on and ignore those who believe in fairy tales. 

Its like they have to keep reminding themselves that they are better. 
View Quote
Beliefs matter. Beliefs inform actions.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:37:36 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

The theist answer is not just as valid as the answer that has good objective evidence for it.
View Quote
No, now that is a theory and has not been proven.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:39:25 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

How are claims to knowledge a separate question?
View Quote
It's a separate question from, "Do you believe in a God/Gods or not?". The only answer to that question is "I do", "I don't". "I don't know" doesn't really answer the question. Does the person not know whether they believe or not? If they're really saying "I don't have proof there is or isn't a God/Gods", well duh, still doesn't answer the question. The question is "Do you believe or not?"
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:39:53 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

That's a nice false dichotomy you've got going on there. Mind if I borrow it?

You either have sex with dudes, or you have sex with goats. Claiming anything else just means you are a pussy.

So which is it? Are you a dirty goat fucker, or a peter puffer?  

Claiming to know something, without proof; is the absolute height of stupidity.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:41:49 PM EDT
[#28]
If the first arrow points to a modern ape(chimp) then it is just wrong.

No one with any understsnding of evolution will say that we evolved from modern apes/chimps/monkeys.

Both humans and chimps/apes evolved from a common ancestor species before our species branched off and evolved in a divergent manner.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:41:50 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
No, now that is a theory and has not been proven.
View Quote
A scientific theory is the highest thing in science. Nothing is proven in science.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:42:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

A scientific theory is the highest thing in science. Nothing is proven in science.
View Quote
E = MC squared is proven.

Also, isn't light proven to be the time mechanism for the universe?

How about we are a zero net sum energy universe?

All energy created at its inception (the Big Bang) remains unchanged all these years?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:43:02 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Sometimes the ability to say "I don't know" is the greatest wisdom of all.
View Quote

Ayup.

"do not pretend conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable."
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:43:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

That's a nice false dichotomy you've got going on there. Mind if I borrow it?

You either have sex with dudes, or you have sex with goats. Claiming anything else just means you are a pussy.

So which is it? Are you a dirty goat fucker, or a peter puffer?  

Claiming to know something, without proof; is the absolute height of stupidity.
View Quote
The question is "Do you believe or not?" There's only two real answers there.

There's no claim to knowledge in the question. People believe things and lack belief in things without having proof.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:46:04 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
E = MC squared is proven.

Also, isn't light proven to be the time mechanism for the universe?
View Quote
That's a law, laws are just descriptive. Maybe light is just an illusion caused by aliens poking your brain in a jar.

The law of gravity just says things fall at this rate. The theory of gravity is that mass attracts. Gravity isn't proven. Maybe gravity is just an illusion.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:47:02 PM EDT
[#34]
This isn't an "atheist vs religious " issue, it's an asshole issue.

If you constantly have to bring up how smart you think you are, chances are pretty good you aren't. Just an insecure dumbass.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:47:14 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Why the lock Chief?
View Quote
COC number 7, tha last sentence.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:48:31 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Ayup.

"do not pretend conclusions are certain that are not demonstrated or demonstrable."
View Quote
The question is "Do you believe?"

You don't know whether you believe or not?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote
So you're top 1% (ish).

So are millions of other Americans. Mensa isn't very exclusive compared to some of the other "high IQ" clubs. Top 2% is the requirement, if memory serves me right? 130 IQ. BFD. So nearly 7 million Americans qualify.

I'm sure there are a number of us here that could easily test into Mensa (yes, me included), but why? What do you do? Sit around talking about the peasants that you won't let in? I'd rather spend my time with people who distinguish themselves for who they are as a person and what they've accomplished than what brain gifts they were given at birth.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
So you're top 1% (ish).

So are millions of other Americans. Mensa isn't very exclusive compared to some of the other "high IQ" clubs. Top 2% is the requirement, if memory serves me right? 130 IQ. BFD. So nearly 7 million Americans qualify.

I'm sure there are a number of us here that could easily test into Mensa (yes, me included), but why? What do you do? Sit around talking about the peasants that you won't let in? I'd rather spend my time with people who distinguish themselves for who they are as a person and what they've accomplished than what brain gifts they were given at birth.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So you're top 1% (ish).

Yeah, the whole IQ thing is weird. Ben Carson is very intelligent. Ask him to consider objectively, critically thinking about his religious beliefs (and grain pyramids, anything those beliefs touch, etc.) though ............
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
COC number 7, tha last sentence.
View Quote
Why is that Chief?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:56:25 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
There is literally zero "hard evidence" of this. There are some things out in the universe that scientists point to and say "see! evidence of the big bang!" like background microwave radiation....

But, it's just as likely that background radiation is a result of God creating the universe as it is being a result of the big bang propagating out of a singularity. I see all this "evidence" we have about our universe along the same lines as comets being "evidence" that a bad harvest is coming, like we thought thousands of years ago.

There is absolutely zero "hard evidence" of the big bang. There are just things that scientists claim are evidence, but really have no clue.

ETA; Dark matter is another great example. We see things we can't explain, and then blame it on "dark matter." Matter that just so happens to explain perfectly what they can't explain.....but it can't be seen or deteceted. How convenient! It's almost like their belief of dark matter is......faith based?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:59:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

That's a law, laws are just descriptive. Maybe light is just an illusion caused by aliens poking your brain in a jar.

The law of gravity just says things fall at this rate. The theory of gravity is that mass attracts. Gravity isn't proven. Maybe gravity is just an illusion.
View Quote
But science brought us an understanding and came up with ways to prove those laws.

Gravity is a remaining huge mystery..........we simply do not know how it works, only that it does.

I guess I am having a hard understanding what the basis of your sarcastic answers about whether science has proven certain laws is attempting to accomplish???

Isn't science a method of proving or disproving what we believe to be true in our physical universe?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:02:23 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

It's just more about faith. I *choose* to believe in God.

The way I see it, I can either choose to believe in God where there is zero hard evidence......or I can choose to believe everything just popped into existence one day just because, and that we eventually evolved from single cell organisms floating around in a primordial soup. The idea that our reality came into existence for no reason, out of nothing, seems just as unbelievable to me.

It's just faith based. I'm a theist obviously, but you won't catch me trying to *prove* God exists. Because you can't.
View Quote
You don't choose whether you believe something or not. You're either convinced of it/believe it has good evidence/reasons or you're not.

Also, the Singularity isn't nothing.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:04:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Progressivism/"Tolerance"-ism/evangelical atheism are buttons that stultifyingly mediocre people pin to their shirts and constantly try to show off to the "rubes" they pretend to despise.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Atheist are like: "You are silly for believing what is written in a book by a bunch of dead men. . . things you have never seen and can't prove for yourself. Just to prove you wrong . . . here is a science book full of stuff written by a bunch of dead men that I have never seen and can't prove myself"
View Quote
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:06:19 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

You don't choose whether you believe something or not. You're either convinced of it/believe it has good evidence/reasons or you're not.

Also, the Singularity isn't nothing.
View Quote
Faith is a strong belief in something. I strongly believe God created the universe, despite being a HUGE space/physics junky.

And yes, the singularity (again, something we have zero evidence of, which breaks the laws of physics as we know them....hurr durr) is an infinitely dense/hot point. Something that science says can't exist.....

A lot like God?
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:08:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Atheist are like: "You are silly for believing what is written in a book by a bunch of dead men. . . things you have never seen and can't prove for yourself. Just to prove you wrong . . . here is a science book full of stuff written by a bunch of dead men that I have never seen and can't prove myself"
View Quote
You can't prove anything in science.

You can always ask questions about science and you won't get a run around ("You just gotta have faith!, "mysterious ways!", etc.).
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:09:04 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

* granted, it can get complicated in that one can be a hard-Agnostic (claiming it's absolutely unknowable, I know it's unknowable).
View Quote
There's one more: apatheist such as myself.  Apatheism

"One version considers the question of the existence or nonexistence of deities to be fundamentally irrelevant in every way that matters. This position should not be understood as a skeptical position in a manner similar to that of, for example, atheists or agnostics who question the existence of the gods or whether we can know about the gods.

The existence of gods is not put aside for moral or epistemic reasons – for democratic or existential reasons, it is deemed unnecessary. This is a universalization of the fundamental democratic principle that there are no first- and second-class humans and that among other species or beings (including hypothetical gods or aliens elsewhere in the universe), human beings also are not second class. In this version the existence of the gods is thus not one of the so-called grand questions in life."
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:10:14 PM EDT
[#48]
No, no, subby is getting the causality reversed.  Atheists aren't smart because they're atheist.  Atheists are atheist because they're smart.  
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 1:15:21 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

It's a separate question from, "Do you believe in a God/Gods or not?". The only answer to that question is "I do", "I don't". "I don't know" doesn't really answer the question. Does the person not know whether they believe or not? If they're really saying "I don't have proof there is or isn't a God/Gods", well duh, still doesn't answer the question. The question is "Do you believe or not?"
View Quote
But it isn't separate from the question "Is God Real?" Which is the question at the most simple conception possible, and the more important question. Obviously you can frame the question and different ways. I don't know is a perfectly suitable response, especially to questions which no certainty can be presently obtained.
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top