Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 4
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:01:53 PM EDT
[#1]
When I was a kid and ask for Lego for a Christmas/birthday gift I'd get Loc-blocks from my parents.

I didn't get real Lego sets (the space ones from the late 70s early 80s) until I started buying them myself with money I made working yards and such as a young teen.

The license agreements the do now must cost a ton of cash.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:01:54 PM EDT
[#2]
If you think Legos cost a lot go look and see what models cost these days, I dam near had a stroke.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:16:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LEGO's molds are very costly..... I had some cheaper copycats from a Chineses manufacturer, their tolerance is so high that you almost cannot have a consistent assembly across blocks. I heard they are able to narrow the tolerance, but then the price would be similar to or even higher than LEGO brand because of the smaller scale in production.
View Quote

Welcome, fellow Lego enthusiast
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well even in that condition it's worth several hundred now so
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
In 1984 this was worth $22.13 with someone's discount at Sears.  Still wrapped in it's original plastic.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/33324/Lego_6382-2498955.jpg

Even at the discount today that would be $62.44 in today's money.  I still have the receipt for it and several other Lego toys.

Well even in that condition it's worth several hundred now so

Really?  I’ll be honest, my kids never got into Legos so I have no idea.  I happened to find this while cleaning out my mom’s house.  No idea why she had it.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:23:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I see Legos as one of the few truly high quality toys out there these days.  Yes they are freaking expensive, but they last virtually forever, and bricks will connect to other bricks indefinitely.  My daughter plays with my kits from the late 1980s, and when I was a kid, I played with kits that my Uncles owned in the 60s.  I can’t afford most of the big sets, but man, I would kill to build that giant Millennium Falcon.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:29:42 PM EDT
[#6]
Don't know don't care. I grabbed everything half off in 2012-2014. Now I'm sitting on ~$37k worth of sets.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Molds are fucking expensive and wear out.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:35:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
If you think Legos cost a lot go look and see what models cost these days, I dam near had a stroke.
View Quote

Jeez, yeah. Jumped on Sprue Bros to check out the latest offerings and was blown away.

Bidenflation hitting everything.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:38:48 PM EDT
[#9]
You guys hate everything.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:42:36 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I fucking love Lego.

Just built the Ferrari Daytona to go with my Porsche, Bugatti and Lambo, and I have to repair my Colosseum after moving to Ohio. It got wrecked. I’m likewise afraid to open the box with my UCS Millennium Falcon to see how that fared.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:45:33 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
In 1984 this was worth $22.13 with someone's discount at Sears.  Still wrapped in it's original plastic.

Even at the discount today that would be $62.44 in today's money.  I still have the receipt for it and several other Lego toys.
View Quote

Brickset says that's worth about $600.  The crease in the package might take it down a little.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:45:35 PM EDT
[#12]
For the price of a few LEGO kits you can get a good 3D printer and make anything your heart desires.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:48:27 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Because our dumb AF millennial generation is having nostalgia and loves china so they pay the prices.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My kid loves building LEGO.....I've bought her quite a few sets over the last few years.  Holy crap!!! Why are they so expensive?

Are they tailored more towards collectors now than the kids that actually like to play with them?  A small little "camper RV" kit that fits in a little 10" x 8" box is something like $60.  If you want a fighter jet kit...that will be $80.  

How much labor and material do they have in one of those $80 kits of plastic blocks...maybe $5?  

Sure...make those crazy massive collectors kits big money.....but for those small kids that little kids actually like to play with (and not just buy and resell like the adults are doing)....why are they so pricey?

Because our dumb AF millennial generation is having nostalgia and loves china so they pay the prices.

Calls my generation “dumb as fuck”, yet completely misses the mark. As already stated, they’ve always been expensive, until recently haven’t been made in China, and people have always paid the high price.

I have the Titanic sitting in the living room waiting to be built. It’ll be a good bonding experience with my daughter, who loves everything Titanic.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:53:37 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Don't know don't care. I grabbed everything half off in 2012-2014. Now I'm sitting on ~$37k worth of sets.
View Quote

Be careful though, not every set even at half off is a good buy.  On the other hand, some even at MSRP are a steal.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 7:54:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Calls my generation “dumb as fuck”, yet completely misses the mark. As already stated, they’ve always been expensive, until recently haven’t been made in China, and people have always paid the high price.

I have the Titanic sitting in the living room waiting to be built. It’ll be a good bonding experience with my daughter, who loves everything Titanic.
View Quote

That's got to be an incredible build.  You guys should have a great time.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:02:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

I fucking love Lego.

Just built the Ferrari Daytona to go with my Porsche, Bugatti and Lambo, and I have to repair my Colosseum after moving to Ohio. It got wrecked. I'm likewise afraid to open the box with my UCS Millennium Falcon to see how that fared.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fucking love Lego.

Just built the Ferrari Daytona to go with my Porsche, Bugatti and Lambo, and I have to repair my Colosseum after moving to Ohio. It got wrecked. I'm likewise afraid to open the box with my UCS Millennium Falcon to see how that fared.
Hey me too. Just got the new Galaxy Explorer.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:08:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Our family has a giant continuously growing footlocker of lego passed from kid to kid since the mid 1970's.

My additions to it as a child were the space sets.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:11:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Danmark has a bunch of F-35s coming, they don't come cheap.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:13:41 PM EDT
[#19]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I fucking love Lego.

Hey me too. Just got the new Galaxy Explorer.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/106019/953D75F5-54D7-41EF-B41D-F9517A2F0FEF_jpe-2499143.JPG

Me too. My daughter loves it. It was an interesting build and a cool retro ship.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:17:23 PM EDT
[#20]
When I was raising my son I loved buying those simple Lego models for him. Cars, truck, planes, boats, etc... They were $8 then $10 and then he grew out of them. They were awesome simple models for a youg boy and I encourged it. The ex kept all the legos in storage containers and they are fun to snap together to make things back in the day. He is 28 now. My coworker who is 28 today and about to get married likes modeling. His Bride to be loves the Titanic movie. This guy bought the Titanic 10,000 piece plus lego model for over $800 on Amazon cause they go for over $900; for his fiance and him to do together. He was telling me last week how bummed he was. Not a Lego logo anywhere. A chinese knockoff he paid top dollar for.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:20:44 PM EDT
[#21]
LEGOs were always my favorite growing up, I still have a bunch like the Black Seas Barracuda, Caribbean Clipper, pirates, castle, and space sets from the 80s.

Even as a huge Star Wars fan, I never bought any of the cross branded sets but a Millennium Falcon UCS.

My brother bought me an Enzo years ago and I’ve just recently picked up a Raptor and Optimus Prime. Optimus Prime is maybe cooler than the G1 Transformer…
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:24:30 PM EDT
[#22]
As a counterpoint, the Legoland Park is quite reasonable, as theme parks go. All the sets in the various stores are street prices. With our pass holder discount it is actually cheaper to buy sets at the park than at other retailers.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 8:41:29 PM EDT
[#23]
I invested in two Lego Death Star IIs #10143 NIB still in its original shipping box only opened to verify the correct set. Got them for $500 in 2015(?) and they go on eBay for over $1,500 opened box.

I also have two Star Destroyers #10030 but those have not popped in price like other kits
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:50:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Brickset says that's worth about $600.  The crease in the package might take it down a little.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Holy crap, I’m digging out all my old Legos.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:57:18 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

They’re all expensive. There was recently a price increase as well; not across the board but many sets went up in price by a good amount.

ETA some Jurassic World sets are as much as $0.17-0.18 per piece

ETA: an example of price increases, the UCS AT-AT went from $799 to $849 a few weeks ago.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
LEGO has always been expensive. They’ve pretty much been selling sets for ten cents a piece since the mid 2000’s, as far as I remember.

Licensed products like Jurassic Park or Star Wars generally carry a premium.

Then why is Lego City sub-theme expensive?

https://www.kindpng.com/picc/m/153-1537675_lego-city-2020-sets-hd-png-download.png

They’re all expensive. There was recently a price increase as well; not across the board but many sets went up in price by a good amount.

ETA some Jurassic World sets are as much as $0.17-0.18 per piece

ETA: an example of price increases, the UCS AT-AT went from $799 to $849 a few weeks ago.

Their product line pricing is not isolated to themes with licenses.  Those costs are supposedly spread throughout their entire product line.  I.E. They pay for Marvel and Star Wars licenses or have market sharing with those companies, but the cost is recouped in increased pricing in the City line.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 10:57:59 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#27]
All the speculating on Lego sets can be a bit frustrating as a parent.
My daughter discovered Lego and fell in love with the Elves line. Which they promptly discontinued. Once we found out we were able to snatch up a few sets before prices got crazy but we are now priced out of that market.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

That about sums them up perfectly.
View Quote

Dumb AF millennials?

Right, why would anyone want to buy their children a high quality toy that encourages them to use their minds to build something.......either following directions to assemble the end product, or to use their own imagination and build whatever comes to mind?

And i have to laugh at calling people dumb and then asserting that the Legos that we buy come from China, when they don’t.

Some of you guys, I swear.
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:21:05 PM EDT
[#29]
In the seventies it was cheap.
Kid's stuff back then.

Where the fuck is my SaturnV launch tower????
Link Posted: 8/22/2022 11:35:48 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
When I was raising my son I loved buying those simple Lego models for him. Cars, truck, planes, boats, etc... They were $8 then $10 and then he grew out of them. They were awesome simple models for a youg boy and I encourged it. The ex kept all the legos in storage containers and they are fun to snap together to make things back in the day. He is 28 now. My coworker who is 28 today and about to get married likes modeling. His Bride to be loves the Titanic movie. This guy bought the Titanic 10,000 piece plus lego model for over $800 on Amazon cause they go for over $900; for his fiance and him to do together. He was telling me last week how bummed he was. Not a Lego logo anywhere. A chinese knockoff he paid top dollar for.
View Quote

Tell him to contact Amazon then return it.  They don't take to LEGO knockoffs very well if it's advertised as genuine LEGO.  Store will get their butt kicked.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:01:50 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Tell him to contact Amazon then return it.  They don't take to LEGO knockoffs very well if it's advertised as genuine LEGO.  Store will get their butt kicked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just looked on Amazon.  There's actually a ton of 1-Star reviews indicating a lot of people were duped into knockoff Titanics.  The problem is Amazon doesn't police the 3rd party, and then if they do the 3rd party can just generate a new store.  People need to consider only purchasing from Amazon.com when it's an item that costs this much.  Just because you're on Amazon doesn't mean it's Amazon.  Doesn't make it alright but does counter a lot of potential issues as a consumer.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:08:28 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Sorting is super time intensive though... so depending on how much your time (and aggravation) is worth to you, it might make more sense to buy presorted parts on BrickLink.   Not every seller will ship you parts in separate bags, so you may want to do some research.
View Quote

You can DIY build a sifting classifier to sort out lego bricks, makes life easier.

DIY Cheap Lego Pre Sorter. Separates Lego Into 6 Basic Size Categories! Lego Color Sorter Next!
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:48:09 AM EDT
[#33]
The only set with a missing piece in recent years has been the UCS Falcon. It was one of the first ones delivered to our local Lego store too so I was some what of a celebrity wheeling it to the car . When the missing piece arrived it was accompanied by a nice hand written apology and some discounts on some other Star Wars sets. Luckily it didn’t stop the build because we pulled the piece from the bulk bin but it was a nice gesture anyways.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:49:49 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Just looked on Amazon.  There's actually a ton of 1-Star reviews indicating a lot of people were duped into knockoff Titanics.  The problem is Amazon doesn't police the 3rd party, and then if they do the 3rd party can just generate a new store.  People need to consider only purchasing from Amazon.com when it's an item that costs this much.  Just because you're on Amazon doesn't mean it's Amazon.  Doesn't make it alright but does counter a lot of potential issues as a consumer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Actually, LEGO is gated on Amazon and it's very difficult to sell,  even 3rd party.   I'm guessing it was an already established seller that either dropped shipped and hoped to not get caught, or a store went out in a blaze of glory....lol
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:58:14 AM EDT
[#35]
My Dad brought two LEGO sets back from Germany when he was stationed there in 1978 for Christmas. I was 8 years old and had broken my leg at school playing street hockey. We played pretty rough back in those days against bigger kids. They were huge boxes with like thousands of pieces. Every time he had to deploy to Europe he would always bring back the latest set back for me. I recall him saying they were pricey but well worth it. I wish I kept all those old sets because they were NOT made in Chyna back then. I handed them down to my cousins and they handed them down as well. I guess it’s a good thing that the current generation and future ones will still be playing with antique LEGO, lol.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 12:59:21 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We don't have kids, but we do have Lego. A sampling of our stuff. We just put in the shelves so they aren't really dressed yet.
https://i.imgur.com/Rfd4FH5.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/DWIXuI5.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/0Vpfi98.jpeg
The Corsair is COBI, not Lego.
https://i.imgur.com/QVI99gf.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/gZRhjBr.jpeg
https://i.imgur.com/uI0XMxf.jpeg
The buildings are my wife's.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File

Impressive! I am jelly!
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:10:20 AM EDT
[#37]
Lego is the one toy that you don't skimp on. Kids that play with Lego has better special awareness and a few other key factors in decision making.

Plus they are cool and get used a ton. We get sets for my daughter at Christmas and birthday times. She plays for HOURS with them.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 1:29:19 AM EDT
[#38]

Here's some more.

Attachment Attached File

The Gone with the Wind poster is going to be moved and replaced with something a little more appropriate for the rocket garden.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 3:33:29 AM EDT
[#39]
FF to 1:50.
Explains why Lego’s are so expensive.

3 Lego Moments | Robot Chicken | Adult Swim
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 4:32:47 AM EDT
[#40]
I can't even imagine how much I've spent on Lego sets for the kids over the years...
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 5:45:55 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
LEGO has always been expensive. They’ve pretty much been selling sets for ten cents a piece since the mid 2000’s, as far as I remember.

Licensed products like Jurassic Park or Star Wars generally carry a premium.
View Quote

I remember having to save a little over a hundred bucks when I was a kid to be able to buy certain sets.  They did have little bargain-priced sets in little bags or boxes, but any of the cooler or larger sets costs decent money, sometimes a lot of money, relative to what a kid could afford.  The aforementioned set would be around $200 today when adjusted for inflation.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Lots of IP and tooling to make plastic pieces.

Same reason PMAGs are so expensive
View Quote

But I'm assuming that they paid for the tooling years and years ago....except for the custom parts, the little blocks are the same design and shape today as the ones they were knocking out 30+ years ago....right?

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:33:31 AM EDT
[#43]
So what are the current sleeper sets to buy and hold unopened ?
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:36:35 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

But I'm assuming that they paid for the tooling years and years ago....except for the custom parts, the little blocks are the same design and shape today as the ones they were knocking out 30+ years ago....right?

View Quote

Lego kits nowadays have a LOT of custom parts.

Link Posted: 8/23/2022 8:58:47 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
So what are the current sleeper sets to buy and hold unopened ?
View Quote

IME, vehicles.

Speed Champions, City cars and trucks. They tend to be less expensive, and smaller format boxes make storing them easy. Once a model is discontinued, it’s not unheard of to sell for double or triple the original MSRP.

Ninjago sets do well too. Ninjago is a long-running theme with a network TV animated series as it’s primary marketing thrust.

Galaxy Explorer still has two years or more before retiring but it’ll be a big one. All of the retro sets for that matter, the castle, etc.

The Medieval Blacksmith (Ideas Theme) is likely facing retirement soon. That one will probably be a great seller on the secondary market.

Others can chime in.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:08:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Lego kits nowadays have a LOT of custom parts.

View Quote
I dislike that, it largely runs contrary to the idea of creativity.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:33:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Tooling is an ongoing expense. LEGO molds need replacement around 7-10 years of constant use.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:36:08 AM EDT
[#48]
They're engineered to surprisingly high standards, plus they've come to be a of collectors item.

Try basically any Lego competitor. They're garbage and the bricks come apart for no reason.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:46:12 AM EDT
[#49]
You can’t even imagine the quality assurance that goes into Lego manufacturing. I’ve seen writeups by outstanding engineers that flat out state they don’t understand how Lego can do it for the price they do. The dimensional tolerances are absurdly tight, and they maintain it over millions upon millions of parts every hour of every day.
Link Posted: 8/23/2022 9:51:35 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Lots of IP and tooling to make plastic pieces.

Same reason PMAGs are so expensive

Wrong.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top