Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/20/2024 5:01:23 PM EDT
1" of ice in a small cove?!  I'm going out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:03:05 PM EDT
[#1]
To be clear, the cove that always freezes first had 1" of ice yesterday.

Today, there's already a water rescue going out on the scanner in said cove.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:03:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:03:21 PM EDT
[#3]
I asked that very question of my father in law.  He stated "we're not crazy, just desperate"   That man was too cheap to even buy an ice house. He'd be sitting on a 5 gallon bucket in a snowsuit in -20 temps.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
There have been so many winters where I see guys setup with camping chairs and tents feet from where the ice ends.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:10:00 PM EDT
[#5]
1/4 mile from Lake Winnebago in WI.  If I could fish for beef, I'd be in, but if you fish and all you can get is fish, no thanks.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:12:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There have been so many winters where I see guys setup with camping chairs and tents feet from where the ice ends.
View Quote

That way you can have one like through the ice, and a regular bait caster going off the end of the ice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:15:43 PM EDT
[#7]
I've got some fish sticks in my freezer.  That's as close to that frozen water shit as I want to get.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:24:42 PM EDT
[#8]
Only been doing it for a couple years. Still pretty cautious.  I do see people pushing the limits a lot, and occasionally someone falls in.  Not worth the risk for some perch to me at least
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:28:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#10]

Would go out on the ice as soon as it was thick enough to walk on.
Restrict the mouth of the river.
Chop ice
Lower the fish trap in
Roll out fish trap full of fish with help from the village.
Do this multiple times till the village had enough fish
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:32:55 PM EDT
[#11]
I drove a Volkswagen golf into about 7" of ice. I was nervous af
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:42:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Saturday the local radio station solicits ice reports from the public lakes from the fishermen.

I've been at the city park when guys have had to slosh out through the water 6-10' before stepping up to the ice.

Fishing was good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:44:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Conditions change so fast, I'm not setting foot on anything less than 6" of good ice.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:45:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I asked that very question of my father in law.  He stated "we're not crazy, just desperate"   That man was too cheap to even buy an ice house. He'd be sitting on a 5 gallon bucket in a snowsuit in -20 temps.
View Quote

That's exactly how I picture ice fishing. You have to be downright desperate for entertainment, to even consider it.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:48:19 PM EDT
[#15]
I always picture the guys from Grumpy Old Men when I think of ice fishing.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:48:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Not crazy.  Alcoholics.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:51:38 PM EDT
[#17]
The fishing is often good near inlets, where the ice isnt as predictable.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:54:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The fishing is often good near inlets, where the ice isnt as predictable.
View Quote
River ice can be very unpredictable.

People are out ice fishing until the ice damn near goes out.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
1/4 mile from Lake Winnebago in WI.  If I could fish for beef, I'd be in, but if you fish and all you can get is fish, no thanks.
View Quote

Damn, I’d do anything to have the walleye fishing you’ve got up there
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:06:38 PM EDT
[#20]
You have to drive a couple miles out onto Lake Huron to get to the best fishing, bonus points if in a whiteout!
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:25:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:31:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Damn, I’d do anything to have the walleye fishing you’ve got up there
View Quote

WIBill has trains too.
Choo choo!
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:39:20 PM EDT
[#23]
Only redeeming quality of ice fishing is not having to buy ice on the way to the lake.

Everything else is a negative.

Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:51:56 PM EDT
[#24]
The cold weather and warm booze make'm crazy
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:52:31 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
1" of ice in a small cove?!  I'm going out.
View Quote
they are drunk???
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#26]
I went with a friend for the first time.  Ice was a little over 2 ft thick.  
  Talked my brother and a friend to go with me the next day for their first time.  

I pulled up to the boat ramp and stopped.  We were talking and the said now what.  I said well from here look out there and see where there are holes and that might give us a heads up where to go.
 Ok, then what.  

I dropped the clutch and took off out on the ice in the 69 Bronco.  Brother in the back trying to climb over the seat , my buddy considering jumping out. Lol.   I told them calm down it's ok,.
   Before long there were people parked near us and ice is popping,  making noise.  
   All was good.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 7:55:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I pulled up to the boat ramp and stopped.  We were talking and the said now what.  I said well from here look out there and see where there are holes and that might give us a heads up where to go.
 Ok, then what.  

I dropped the clutch and took off out on the ice in the 69 Bronco.  Brother in the back trying to climb over the seat , my buddy considering jumping out. Lol.   I told them calm down it's ok,.
   All was good.
View Quote
We drive right next to open water and thin ice with snogos and vehicles.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:01:19 PM EDT
[#28]
The guys that fish one the great lakes are the crazy ones.  If the ice isn't locked in by the shoreline a wind change can pull it off shore, and you're fucked.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok, then what.  

All was good.

I don't think I want to cast off the ice into open water.  
    I only drive on it with about 18" .  Probably more than thick enough.  But I'm not near as experienced as you folks are.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 8:26:18 PM EDT
[#30]
Im an avid bass fisherman, I mean to the point of being OCD but Ive never understood ice fishing. More power to you though, tight lines and good catches!
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#31]
I work with a couple guys that are crazy for ice fishing. They each have the same fancy fish finder doodad. Like $3k for the damn things.

I may go with them at some point but I ain’t going until the ice is like a foot thick.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:21:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Dive team went out searching for the guy and found nothing.  They assumed he self extricated and left.  All of his shit was still on the ice.  Don't know if there was a car in the lot or not.

The story is full of fuck.  I bet they find a body once the ice melts.

Regardless, there was 1.5" of ice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:26:59 PM EDT
[#33]
I love to fish but have always been afraid to go out on the ice.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:37:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

That's exactly how I picture ice fishing. You have to be downright desperate for entertainment, to even consider it.

View Quote
There's different kinds of ice fishing.

They way we did it in when I was a kid in Maine: We had a lake front cabin, drill holes in the ice with a gas powered auger, place Tip-ups with live bait in holes (7 holes/Tip-ups per license IIRC). Ride snowmobile back to cabin, sit by the wood stove with a pair of binoculars. When a flag pops jump on the sled, pull the fish, bait the Tip-up, go back to the wood stove.

(We usually waited for at least a foot of ice before hitting the lake as a rule)
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:41:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Went once when i was in Michigan. Hired a guide because I grew up in FL and had no idea what to do. Caught this about 5 minutes after we started fishing. Would love to go again.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:43:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Dive team went out searching for the guy and found nothing.  They assumed he self extricated and left.  All of his shit was still on the ice.  Don't know if there was a car in the lot or not.

View Quote

At least you're still with us.  Here's neat self-rescue video:

Ice Safety - How To Perform A Self Rescue
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:46:33 PM EDT
[#37]
Ice fishing is a symptom of a bad marriage.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:46:49 PM EDT
[#38]
Lake of the Woods. About 18 miles out.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:46:51 PM EDT
[#39]
We have been duck hunting out of the boat (open water obviously) and had guys ice fishing a couple hundred yards behind us
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:49:26 PM EDT
[#40]
Canadian Ice Fishing Crazy Canucks Insane Fisherman
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:51:23 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

View Quote

Not enough!
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:52:55 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm closer to a half mile from bago, I've never quite understood it either. I've seen guys literally standing on plywood over thin ice to fish, I love fish but it ain't worth dying for. I do need the ice to thicken up to get the RZR out tho
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 12:59:07 PM EDT
[#43]
This is Grand Traverse Bay right in downtown Traverse City, Michigan. It doesn't always freeze, but when it does, a whole city of shanties appears almost overnight. Ice was about 4" thick. 80-100 feet deep just a little ways out from the ramp.

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:01:36 PM EDT
[#44]
I don't get it. It's not like the fish migrate. The same fish will be in the same water come spring time. Then you can take a boat wherever you want.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:04:26 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I don't get it. It's not like the fish migrate. The same fish will be in the same water come spring time. Then you can take a boat wherever you want.
View Quote
Some places up north have a short boating season followed by 9 months of winter
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:12:53 PM EDT
[#46]
If you are driving on ice drive slow. Lots of people think they are safer if they giver shit and get across as fast as possible, don’t do that. I value my truck and hate trouble so I wait for about 20” before I start driving on it. I saw an old drunk guy drop the front end of his new F150 in the ice and it sucked.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:17:45 PM EDT
[#47]
I love ice fishing, when you are on the fish it's absolutely crazy.  Whack em & stack em.
Perfect to get you out of the house in mid winter.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 1:47:11 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Im an avid bass fisherman, I mean to the point of being OCD but Ive never understood ice fishing. More power to you though, tight lines and good catches!
View Quote

When I'd ice fish I had a fishcam. It was a hoot to watch the bass try to swallow the camera.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:22:04 PM EDT
[#49]
I went kokanee fishing and it was shallow water maybe 6-8 ft at deepest.  
  Snagging fish with big treble hooks.  
You lay down to look in the hole to see fish swimming by.   They were hard to see.
 Some tricks were to peel a potato in thin slices for a white floor to see them better. Some used egg shells for the same effect.  
  With a 20 fish limit it was a good start to smoke and can them.

Other fishing was done by having a fish finder in the hole. It would give you an idea the depth they were at.
  But now you needed to find what they would eat which wasn't always easy to do.
   But with a fish finder you could get a beeper from it when there were fish in the area .
  Otherwise you could drink beer and visit other folks and swap fish stories.  Till you heard your beeper.  
  It can be alot of fun .
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#50]
Always fun when the ice goes off like a cannon and you see a crack go running under your feet.

Been on the river with a foot of water with a pick-up. Was slow going.

People here have caught hundreds of pike here.
Also set under ice nets to catch lush and whitefish.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top