Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:23:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Because it's basically Slavic Mexico.
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 9:45:27 PM EDT
[#2]
Multiple generations of defective DNA crosses that never learned to handle their moonshine is my guess.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:03:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Russianism is just another example of how rampant corruption, hardship, and privation can twist an entire culture for generations.  It's common in Latin America, too.  Parts of Asia, too.  There's a reason why the civilized world is called "first world", and everything else is not.
View Quote
As was said earlier, it's really the standard the world over for most of history. The Enlightenment and the freakish nature of the new world discovery, the scientific revolution, the industrial age  and colonists being pissed off not getting their due as Englishmen made for a unique and freakish advancement for human kind. And our fortune. Before cultural communism.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:23:52 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
What exactly is it about the Russian psyche and style of leadership that leads to them consistently and repeatedly refusing to "play nice" on the world stage?

When the USSR collapsed, Russia had their chance to fully shed themselves of communism by joining in the world market. They were handed that leaf and refused to take it, instead choosing to continue to bolster their economy by large-scale arms trades and shady alliances with the gangsters of the world.

They're a country full of highly intelligent people who would dominate the world stage - and avoid a lot of other trouble - if they would stop acting like your uncle who shows up drunk to every family gathering.
View Quote
They have national PTSD and short man complex from being fucked over by everyone and betrayed by their supposed allies for the past few hundred years. Most recently the US.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:27:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

They have national PTSD and short man complex from being fucked over by everyone and betrayed by their supposed allies for the past few hundred years. Most recently the US.
View Quote
Most recently?  Ah, no.  Maybe the ChiComs, but we weren’t really allies with Russia.  Stood down the Cold War, but they were way too prickly to be considered allies
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:40:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Most recently?  Ah, no.  Maybe the ChiComs, but we weren’t really allies with Russia.  Stood down the Cold War, but they were way too prickly to be considered allies
View Quote
Well the US was happily fucking with them throughout the 90's and beyond. Certainly not allies, but at the same time they basically were officially offered an "In" into the "system of the world". And then elements of US govt kept on keepin on like it was the cold war in a great many ways. Basically the game ended and instead of a handshake and a "good game", the winners sent over a bunch of dudes went over and kicked the shit out of them. Not exactly something that engenders "good feelings". Prior to that, their "allies" in China fucked em, prior to that the Germans etc.

If you want to understand Russia, look into the psychology of mass shooters, just on a national scale.

I mean it is what it is, but the OP asked "why", so there you go.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 10:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

You know some of those slapping Russians are fun to watch

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IIKElkQxJ8U
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:15:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote
Drinking Vodka In A Soviet Apartment...What Could Go Wrong?!

Belarusians are as fucked up as the Russians, especially after a few drinks. They seemed jolly enough until the vodka kicked in, then Victor became the stereotypical morose, angry Slavic drunk. He flipped a switch, so to speak, and then the conversation got dark & angry.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:29:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's operated on the principals of coercive governing since forever. When the USSR collapsed, the people who assumed control of the new government were all of the same people running shit in the old government. The old bureaucracy just went into full on thuggery. They controlled the black markets. They  sold off national assets. assumed all offices of authority and pretty much became a kleptocracy of the select few. There were plenty of political assassinations between competing factions of the old insitutions vying for control over the new Russian Federation. Allainces and cartels/ cabals were formed.  And how you got a KGB agent as leader.
View Quote
Copy/paste for pretty much every former SSR State. The poorest ones are run by tin pot dictators, the rest by oligarchs.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:31:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
mix of viking blood and mongol blood

they have that aggressive gene from the vikings and that submissive gene from being conquered by the mongols

creates a passive aggressive culture

passive aggressive people are the worst
View Quote
What?

So because they were conquered their genes were manipulated to make them bitches?

Care to share where your ancestors are from?  lmao
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:32:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Because they show up drunk to everything....
View Quote
They are the dysfunctional brother
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:35:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Statistically they come out a point or two below the United States in IQ. And we have some low-q groups.

Poster from California who admires the Russians and complains about beta males - get off fb and move to the south or Texas or Idaho and report back in six months, you’re welcome.
View Quote
I live in Utah now, but I've been stationed in South Carolina and central Texas.  I just leave my location as California cuz it amuses me to see comments people make assuming I'm still living behind the iron curtain.

As others have said, Russians are no different from the rest of the world, except being white they land higher on a certain bell curve than most places (that don't manipulate the shit out of their test results like China).
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:37:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You young ARFCOMMERS need to read - then RE-READ - this post.

Heavymetal762 is right on the money here.

We fucked up BIGTIME in supporting the Chinese over the Russians. We should have welcomed them with open arms. They share many more values with us than the Chinese, whose culture is so remarkably different than our own to be nearly alien.
View Quote
Dems couldn't let us be friends with a white nation that doesn't abase itself before the alter of multiculturalism.  "get work or die" and the Russians weren't into the woke thing
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:44:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

this.  Things that we take for granted like quality control, Western morality, etc. were mythical to the Soviet people in 1991, if remembered at all.
View Quote
That is stupid.

Dictators ruled every inch of the planet for most of human history.  The west was able to outgrow that system relatively quickly (and is only now going back because of a certain tribe of globalist bankers and media owners)

South Korea isn't under a dictator and has had a rapid rise in quality of life.  As has Taiwan, Hong Kong.  I would say Japan, but I don't want to include an actor that could be said to be acting under duress (couple nukes and then having (former) enemies permanently stationed on your islands doesn't seem like a fair shake).

From what I read, the nations in SE Asia are also experiencing this, albeit to a smaller extent, likely due to several factors:  Islam (in certain parts), communism (domestic or Chinese wanting to keep their neighbors weak/divided), and just straight up lower-IQ.  oh and lady-boys, don't forget ladyboys
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:51:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Actually, the "cold warriors" here in the US continued fighting the war after the fall, and that meant Russia never had a chance on the world market. We threw insane amounts of business and investments at China instead (look where that got us) while freezing out eastern europe. We had a chance to create an ally, but the military-industrial complex still needed the enemy. Russia needed to survive, and they did what they had to.

Just look at how hard it is to get people to seriously think of China as an enemy, while we treat a country with an economy slightly smaller than that of Texas as the boogeyman.
View Quote
China and Russia are both our adversaries. Like it or not.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:53:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
In the wake of the Soviet collapse, money flooded in from the West to buy up Russian assets dirt cheap.  People sold their shares of the factory for pennies.  Thus rose the Russian oligarchs (whose money really belongs to someone else).

Russia still is f*cked up and it's the mindset created from years of living under communism.
View Quote
Any takers to guess who?
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:54:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If he is dumb enough to look at demographics and recent history, and conclude that Russia has a better demographic future than we do, he should stay in CA with the rest of his kind.

That also goes for the people that keep seeing Putin as someone who means what he says and delivers on his promises, despite decades of... not doing that at all. Putin gets by on bluffing and PR, but is almost completely ineffectual at getting things done.
View Quote
I don't like Putin, but you try to deal with problems in this day and age and see how good of a job you can do.

Last time white people tried to deal with demographic/cultural displacement the way it should be dealt with, the US invaded Kosovo.  That does limit the options somewhat.  Add to that the rabid foaming at the mouth hatred the Dems (and neo-con boomers) have for the big bad Russian boogeyman, and you see why they may be hesitant to deal Islam within their borders the way it SHOULD be dealt with.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:55:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You are so politically blind that you missed what actually happened. American businesses had an opportunity to support a country that had just thrown off communism in order to support an actual communist country (China). What do you think would have happened with Europe without a Marshall Plan? Without support, a power vacuum existed which was filled by opportunists. Even the old-style communists tried to stage a coup. We're actually lucky Russia ended up as good as it has, since we failed to deal with the mess we made when we won the cold war.
View Quote
Yup... The US pretty much owns what modern day Russia has become due to breathtaking ineptitude during the Clinton years.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:56:50 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

The Soviet Union was organized crime...
View Quote
Correct. That's why it kept operating the way it did it after the fall of "communism". Its because they really weren't "communist" the whole thing can be thought of how the Italian mob worked at least at a basic level.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:57:05 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Yea, they like to overlook the demographic time bomb Russia is experiencing. They are naturalizing muslims at a rapid rate to offset their dying population.

The idiots the think Russia is “fighting islam” seem to ignore Putin’s speech stating that the Russian Orthodox has more in common with Islam than any other religions and that the Russians have entire military units that are manned with muslims.

Russia has figured out that duping retards on the American Right is as easy (if not easier) than duping the Left ever was.
View Quote
Well that's unacceptable, I'll agree.

But the Russian birthrate is similar to Europe's.  It's only a matter of time I suppose.  Sad
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:57:17 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Go to YouTube and search for Russian car crash videos.

Get back to us on your intelligent people idea.
View Quote
A Russian guy I worked with would comment on those videos.
He said most of Russia did not drive prior to the break up.
We have had 70 or 80 years to practice and make rules to make it safe and manageable.
Russia, not so much.

He also would note how many cops were drunk in those videos too.
He spoke Russian, I don't.
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:57:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

Overall, one thing GD can’t deny is that Slavs aren’t pussified like the west is these days.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Overall, one thing GD can’t deny is that Slavs aren’t pussified like the west is these days.
Which was my original point

Quoted:
lol

They are worse, just don't have the cultural heights to fall from that make it as visible as here in the civilized world.

And since the Russian military still functions on the basis of conscript boy-pussy exploitation, I'll continue thinking of them as pussies.
ok boomer
Link Posted: 1/5/2020 11:59:07 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
The mess we made? You truly are , we don't owe anyone shit after we win a war. War means exactly that, the negotiating is over. Europe can go back to being non stop war fare, like they've enjoyed since the very first Greek city states up until the end of their empires. It's not our job, or responsibility to keep them at peace, or prosperous.  We have this thing called sovereignty, they can decide what they want for themselves, especially since they've failed to live up to their responsibilities. They're sovereign enough to vote against us at the UN, then they can certainly be sovereign enough to deal with their own problems. The smart European countries will continue to enjoy our security, the dumb ones can live with the results of being dumb.

American business couldn't just move into Russia after the cold war for the exact reason I told you in my first post, the Russians didn't give up their BS, but there are plenty of American companies in Russia, over 3000 like Boeing and McDonalds.
There would probably be many more if Russia could actually be trusted. I'm not politically blind, you're just ignorant and have the nerve to get ass hurt when I tried to help you out.  One day you'll grow up and figure out that the world is a giant competition, and then things will start making sense, like Russia continually wanting to be a regional power, and why we can never let that happen.
View Quote
LOL... The other guy was right. Get a clue how diplomacy actually works.

Oh wait. Guess which one came first?

Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:00:44 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I knew a handful of Russians in college.  I doubt they represented the average Russian, the average Russian did not study at UT.  The women they sent were probably all going into diplomatic roles - all but one was hotter than fuck.  That all said, I don’t think any had any hints of Judeo/Christian morals.  They grew up in a Country were the Government was God - but the Government was an oppressive God to be avoided not worshiped.  As such they had absolutely no moral qualms with breaking laws - only cost/benefit analysis.  The women would whore themselves to get whatever they wanted - and fully understood that they would continue to whore themselves throughout their career - either be being the concubines of the ruling class - or honey pots.  The men just intended to live under as much outside the system as possible - or in it if it was profitable.
View Quote
You sure you aren't talking about the democrat party?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:08:09 AM EDT
[#25]
I've know some crazy Russians in my day. One was a PT monster in the Navy and passed BUDS. Haven't heard from him since a week before he graduated. He called me from the line during his mp5 quals and poof, he was gone. Another one was a crazy bro'd out ruskie who asked everyone he met to buy a Benz, with provided funds, and then immediately sign it over to a corporation for export to saudi, China and India. The profit for the buyers was typically $500-1000. Anywho...

The Machine - Bert Kreischer: THE MACHINE
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:23:20 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Well the US was happily fucking with them throughout the 90's and beyond. Certainly not allies, but at the same time they basically were officially offered an "In" into the "system of the world". And then elements of US govt kept on keepin on like it was the cold war in a great many ways. Basically the game ended and instead of a handshake and a "good game", the winners sent over a bunch of dudes went over and kicked the shit out of them. Not exactly something that engenders "good feelings". Prior to that, their "allies" in China fucked em, prior to that the Germans etc.

If you want to understand Russia, look into the psychology of mass shooters, just on a national scale.

View Quote
How.  I’ll admit, I was young during the 90s, but I’ve never seen anything that would count as “fucking with them” or “kicking the shit out of them”.  Saw some investment and working together, some areas of competition, and lots of Russian screaming when the former Soviet Bloc started joining NATO.  Give me examples, I never heard any.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:33:55 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

https://acesflyinghigh.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/f-35b-yak-141-comparison.jpg?w=900
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
The mess we made? You truly are , we don't owe anyone shit after we win a war. War means exactly that, the negotiating is over. Europe can go back to being non stop war fare, like they've enjoyed since the very first Greek city states up until the end of their empires. It's not our job, or responsibility to keep them at peace, or prosperous.  We have this thing called sovereignty, they can decide what they want for themselves, especially since they've failed to live up to their responsibilities. They're sovereign enough to vote against us at the UN, then they can certainly be sovereign enough to deal with their own problems. The smart European countries will continue to enjoy our security, the dumb ones can live with the results of being dumb.

American business couldn't just move into Russia after the cold war for the exact reason I told you in my first post, the Russians didn't give up their BS, but there are plenty of American companies in Russia, over 3000 like Boeing and McDonalds.
There would probably be many more if Russia could actually be trusted. I'm not politically blind, you're just ignorant and have the nerve to get ass hurt when I tried to help you out.  One day you'll grow up and figure out that the world is a giant competition, and then things will start making sense, like Russia continually wanting to be a regional power, and why we can never let that happen.

https://acesflyinghigh.files.wordpress.com/2015/07/f-35b-yak-141-comparison.jpg?w=900
The Harrier ?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 12:36:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
And a long-cultivated sense of inferiority turned to over-superiority.

When one of the worst insults in your culture is "uncultured", and the Mayors of Moscow keep or loose their job based on rumors about their relationship with the Bolshoi...there's a ton of complicated things going on.

I have some Russian-born friends (a Soviet-era fighter pilot brought here post USSR breakup by the US government and his wife).  You sit down and talk with them...and things get complicated quickly.  Medicine, psychology, government, news, driving in his neighborhood...complicated.  Great people.  But knowing them helped me understand that Russia is not a simple place to understand.  Good food.  Nice people.  Fun guns.  Wouldn't really want to live there.  Maybe vacation if we get on better terms.  Bit cold in the winter.  And complicated.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
900 years of paranoia, starvation, poverty and hopelessness.
And a long-cultivated sense of inferiority turned to over-superiority.

When one of the worst insults in your culture is "uncultured", and the Mayors of Moscow keep or loose their job based on rumors about their relationship with the Bolshoi...there's a ton of complicated things going on.

I have some Russian-born friends (a Soviet-era fighter pilot brought here post USSR breakup by the US government and his wife).  You sit down and talk with them...and things get complicated quickly.  Medicine, psychology, government, news, driving in his neighborhood...complicated.  Great people.  But knowing them helped me understand that Russia is not a simple place to understand.  Good food.  Nice people.  Fun guns.  Wouldn't really want to live there.  Maybe vacation if we get on better terms.  Bit cold in the winter.  And complicated.
Yes, an institutionalized inferiority complex, along with a system of government that is defined by envy and discontent.    Always seeking to tear down anyone who seems to know or may know a better way.  They would rather pull you down into the hole that they are in than perhaps ask you to help them get up to where you are.  Because that might be construed as weakness.  A prison mentality.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 2:14:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Yes, an institutionalized inferiority complex, along with a system of government that is defined by envy and discontent.    Always seeking to tear down anyone who seems to know or may know a better way.  They would rather pull you down into the hole that they are in than perhaps ask you to help them get up to where you are.  Because that might be construed as weakness.  A prison mentality.
View Quote
I believe that.

It's called human nature.

Before Christianity, Capitalism, and English Common Law, it was the norm in the west too.  No doubt some individuals in different civilizations across the planet have experimented with better methods, but they never were able to make long lasting or systemic changes before that.  Closest might have been the Roman Republic but that was inevitably corrupted by politicians and it was so blatantly corrupt that the people backed a populist dictator.  I mean who else could break that kinda system (and inevitably, the empire became just as corrupt and decadent)
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 2:17:43 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
What exactly is it about the Russian psyche and style of leadership that leads to them consistently and repeatedly refusing to "play nice" on the world stage?

When the USSR collapsed, Russia had their chance to fully shed themselves of communism by joining in the world market. They were handed that leaf and refused to take it, instead choosing to continue to bolster their economy by large-scale arms trades and shady alliances with the gangsters of the world.

They're a country full of highly intelligent people who would dominate the world stage - and avoid a lot of other trouble - if they would stop acting like your uncle who shows up drunk to every family gathering.
View Quote
I'll be there next week for a couple of weeks. I'll ask and report back.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 2:30:31 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
lol

They are worse, just don't have the cultural heights to fall from that make it as visible as here in the civilized world.

And since the Russian military still functions on the basis of conscript boy-pussy exploitation, I'll continue thinking of them as pussies.
View Quote
Lol right back at ya.  Life is harder in Eastern Europe. Much harder. Nobody gives two shits about your feelings. Parents don’t coddle their children like Westerners do here. That’s where the pussification starts.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 2:38:09 AM EDT
[#32]
Because a foreign government successfully accomplished a communist populist coup.

“Normal”
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 2:56:00 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
How.  I’ll admit, I was young during the 90s, but I’ve never seen anything that would count as “fucking with them” or “kicking the shit out of them”.  Saw some investment and working together, some areas of competition, and lots of Russian screaming when the former Soviet Bloc started joining NATO.  Give me examples, I never heard any.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You will just get derp out of that account.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:08:31 AM EDT
[#34]
I always liked that their vodka came in bottles that look to be around 12 ounces. Much like a beer because that's more or less how they drink it.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:19:14 AM EDT
[#35]
Why should they? They have been around for 800 years and we were an election away from disaster.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 7:26:16 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
900 years of paranoia, starvation, poverty and hopelessness.
View Quote
This.  Their issues did not start with the commies.  At this point it's practically instinctual for anyone over the age of 3.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 7:54:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I knew a handful of Russians in college.  I doubt they represented the average Russian, the average Russian did not study at UT.  The women they sent were probably all going into diplomatic roles - all but one was hotter than fuck. That all said, I don’t think any had any hints of Judeo/Christian morals.  They grew up in a Country were the Government was God - but the Government was an oppressive God to be avoided not worshiped.  As such they had absolutely no moral qualms with breaking laws - only cost/benefit analysis. The women would whore themselves to get whatever they wanted - and fully understood that they would continue to whore themselves throughout their career - either be being the concubines of the ruling class - or honey pots.  The men just intended to live under as much outside the system as possible - or in it if it was profitable.
View Quote
I have heard that part in bold too.  It does not surprise me.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yep those are totally comparable, and the F-35 was totally the first plane we had that could do that.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Why should they? They have been around for 800 years and we were an election away from disaster.
View Quote
Sometimes I think things in GD might someday get boring, then something this stupid comes up and I know it will remain great for years to come. I am amazed people can believe such nonsense while still having the ability to type in sentences.

Russia is only a few decades old, maybe a bit over 100 years if you see the current regime as just an extension of the USSR.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:21:38 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

View Quote
lol
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 8:24:55 AM EDT
[#41]
I once saw an arfcommer describe Russia as a bunch of alcoholic mongols pretending to be a first world nation.  Seems accurate enough.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:19:58 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Actually, the "cold warriors" here in the US continued fighting the war after the fall, and that meant Russia never had a chance on the world market. We threw insane amounts of business and investments at China instead (look where that got us) while freezing out eastern europe. We had a chance to create an ally, but the military-industrial complex still needed the enemy. Russia needed to survive, and they did what they had to.

Just look at how hard it is to get people to seriously think of China as an enemy, while we treat a country with an economy slightly smaller than that of Texas as the boogeyman.
View Quote
***COUGH*** McStain ***COUGH***

Can't have the facts about the POW's from VN being sent there with his help get out.. Family rep & fortune & all .............
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:25:02 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

This guy disagrees with you.  

View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:41:13 AM EDT
[#44]
LOL....That was great!

Least we not forget.

Link Posted: 1/6/2020 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Yea, they like to overlook the demographic time bomb Russia is experiencing. They are naturalizing muslims at a rapid rate to offset their dying population.

The idiots the think Russia is "fighting islam" seem to ignore Putin's speech stating that the Russian Orthodox has more in common with Islam than any other religions and that the Russians have entire military units that are manned with muslims.

Russia has figured out that duping retards on the American Right is as easy (if not easier) than duping the Left ever was.
View Quote
Do you think Islam in Russia is the same as Islam everywhere else?  Or is it being turned into state religion also?
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 10:46:12 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

View Quote
Well, that whole Soviet block joining NATO part is a key one. In fact assurances were given early on that this wouldn't happen since this was a major fear of the Soviets, who had been invaded multiple times in the past few hundred years and saw NATO as boogeyman #1. Of course the US changed their mind when it was convenient and NATO more or less grew to the Russian Borders.

Otherwise, the entire breakup of the USSR had some rather serious help from the "brown cloud boys" over in Langley. Most of those parts that broke off were basically the educated and industrialized regions, plus a few oil producing ones, so that fucked them pretty darn hard. The whole national self determination line is cute, but most of those regions were basically Russian for hundreds of years, but it was easy enough for the CIA to promote nationalism, promote certain charismatic leaders etc. Net result is you have a crippled Russia that won't be a threat for a decade or two, but a russia that ultimately knows the score and will want to get even.

Economically, the west basically fire-sale bought anything of value and exported it for massive profit, or appropriated it. With internal "assistance" of course, but at the end of the day it was never a good deal for the Russians, think pennies on the dollar.

The reason you never "heard" any of this, or saw any of this is that our fine media had a lovely hand in hand narrative that they pushed, just like today. International news in the US has always basically been propaganda of one sort or another.

Now mind you, I say all this generally hating the Russians. They were/are pigfuckers, and to various extents their "cold warriors" were doing shady shit too. So its not like I have any love lost over there, but OP asked why they are the way they are. I think the US did have an opportunity to change that historical narrative, but it was much easier to just fuck them over Versailles style (well at least it wasn't that bad) and then kick that can down the road, which is where we are today.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 1:24:54 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Sometimes I think things in GD might someday get boring, then something this stupid comes up and I know it will remain great for years to come. I am amazed people can believe such nonsense while still having the ability to type in sentences.

Russia is only a few decades old, maybe a bit over 100 years if you see the current regime as just an extension of the USSR.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nope.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 3:46:03 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Well, that whole Soviet block joining NATO part is a key one. In fact assurances were given early on that this wouldn't happen since this was a major fear of the Soviets, who had been invaded multiple times in the past few hundred years and saw NATO as boogeyman #1. Of course the US changed their mind when it was convenient and NATO more or less grew to the Russian Borders.

Otherwise, the entire breakup of the USSR had some rather serious help from the "brown cloud boys" over in Langley. Most of those parts that broke off were basically the educated and industrialized regions, plus a few oil producing ones, so that fucked them pretty darn hard. The whole national self determination line is cute, but most of those regions were basically Russian for hundreds of years, but it was easy enough for the CIA to promote nationalism, promote certain charismatic leaders etc. Net result is you have a crippled Russia that won't be a threat for a decade or two, but a russia that ultimately knows the score and will want to get even.

Economically, the west basically fire-sale bought anything of value and exported it for massive profit, or appropriated it. With internal "assistance" of course, but at the end of the day it was never a good deal for the Russians, think pennies on the dollar.

The reason you never "heard" any of this, or saw any of this is that our fine media had a lovely hand in hand narrative that they pushed, just like today. International news in the US has always basically been propaganda of one sort or another.

Now mind you, I say all this generally hating the Russians. They were/are pigfuckers, and to various extents their "cold warriors" were doing shady shit too. So its not like I have any love lost over there, but OP asked why they are the way they are. I think the US did have an opportunity to change that historical narrative, but it was much easier to just fuck them over Versailles style (well at least it wasn't that bad) and then kick that can down the road, which is where we are today.
View Quote
@marksman121 was right.  Your basic argument is “Russia had a right to tell the former Soviet Bloc what to do forever, and hold on to anything the Russian Empire conquered regardless of what the locals wanted.”  Guess what - it appears the locals all on their lonesome generally hate the Russians and would prefer not to be enslaved to their whims.  No secret CIA plot necessary - they keep voting to keep the Russians out.  Maybe getting slaughtered by ethnic Russians for being minorities and treated like dirt for generations has something to do with it - and telling them to stay in the long-dead Russian empire would be a disgrace.  Russia lost production regions?  The locals paid in blood and terror while what is now Russia benefitted - sometimes payback’s a bitch.  You watch too much RT and need to read some Robert Conquest to see why the old Soviet Bloc hates the NeoSovs. I couldn’t have less pity if that’s why Russia’s mad - they got what they deserved good and hard.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 5:01:56 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

@marksman121 was right.  Your basic argument is “Russia had a right to tell the former Soviet Bloc what to do forever, and hold on to anything the Russian Empire conquered regardless of what the locals wanted.”  Guess what - it appears the locals all on their lonesome generally hate the Russians and would prefer not to be enslaved to their whims.  No secret CIA plot necessary - they keep voting to keep the Russians out.  Maybe getting slaughtered by ethnic Russians for being minorities and treated like dirt for generations has something to do with it - and telling them to stay in the long-dead Russian empire would be a disgrace.  Russia lost production regions?  The locals paid in blood and terror while what is now Russia benefitted - sometimes payback’s a bitch.  You watch too much RT and need to read some Robert Conquest to see why the old Soviet Bloc hates the NeoSovs. I couldn’t have less pity if that’s why Russia’s mad - they got what they deserved good and hard.
View Quote
Not really my argument. The east bloc certainly happily and rightly told the Russians to eat shit. I'm talking about Belarus, Ukraine, and to lesser extents Kazakhstan, Georgia etc. And while yes they had ethnic minorities that were mistreated historically, especially the stans, Belarus had been part of Russia for a long fucking time same for most of Ukraine. Or are Texans not Americans? Maybe Texans are a minority are under the oppressive yoke of Washington in your little world or maybe Californians too? And yes, there were discontented have not's in Belarus and Ukraine just like anywhere else on the planet, and just like anywhere else they are very easy to incite and exploit.

At the end of the day, ol Bush 1 mainly wanted to make sure the nukes were safe and sound, and that Russia was weakened. So they went out and made deals with the former republics to make sure that happened.

And yes payback was a bitch. Which is why whats left of modern russia doesn't really play nice with the US.
Link Posted: 1/6/2020 5:03:47 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

View Quote
They put the Gog in "Magog"...

Seriously.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top