Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Posted: 10/9/2020 9:28:29 AM EDT
It's 2020, why in this day and age ,do people still use checks at the checkout? I audibly groan every time I see someone pull the checkbook out and take forever to fill it out at the register. Now granted it always seems to be "folks of a certain age" but I can't wait until checks go the way of the cassette tape and pay phone. Using plastic is quick and seems so much safer. Like someone said in another thread, you lose a credit card, it's one phone call to reverse the charges. The ONLY reason I keep checks around is to mail funds, even then, I try to use Paypal first.

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:29:16 AM EDT
[#1]
I do but for expensive items to keep a paper track.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:29:38 AM EDT
[#2]
Just another reason to dislike boomers.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:30:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Do you even go grocery shopping on first of the month SSA benefits in the bank account, Bro? Old people, ugh!
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Old people.

They can't get with the times.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:31:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I always use the self checkouts.  Therefore getting stuck behind one of these people is never a problem.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:33:51 AM EDT
[#6]
I do it because I know it annoys the impatient children.
Real answer: its just another tool in the tool box.
GD is full of Ageism. The banhammer needs to come down before a lawsuit.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:33:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Cash is king.
Checks are better than plastic.
The government wants you to hate cash and love plastic.
They prefer to track your income and outgo, and plastic is the best way to do it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:34:10 AM EDT
[#8]
My mother in law still uses checks.  .  She will get irritated when she comes to visit us and the local stores won't let her write a check for over the amount so she can get cash back.  She's used to doing this in the really small town she lives.  There are a couple of family run stores there that do this for her and she thinks it's the norm anywhere else.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:35:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
It's 2020, why in this day and age ,do people still use checks at the checkout? I audibly groan every time I see someone pull the checkbook out and take forever to fill it out at the register. Now granted it always seems to be "folks of a certain age" but I can't wait until checks go the way of the cassette tape and pay phone. Using plastic is quick and seems so much safer. Like someone said in another thread, you lose a credit card, it's one phone call to reverse the charges. The ONLY reason I keep checks around is to mail funds, even then, I try to use Paypal first.

View Quote

LOL, that's why you have the butler and cook do all your shopping.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#10]
I use them for mailed funds/to keep a paper trail for bills and such.  Also helps me be more cognizant of what's going on in my bank account, and I notice really quick when a bill unexpectedly jumps, so I can dispute it.

But I never pay by check if I am physically at the retailer.  That's asinine.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:35:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Boomers
They think they’re gonna somehow stop the “cashless society” by writing checks—which isn’t cash.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:36:50 AM EDT
[#12]
Probably write two checks a year, it's always for large stuff.

Wrote one yesterday for 47K
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:37:35 AM EDT
[#13]
Haven’t written a check in decades... until I started building my house.  But at the grocery store?  Hell no!

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:38:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Because I refuse to pay a $5 fee per transaction to give the city my money for garbage and sewer every month.  They get their money more quickly online but want to charge the customer for it.  Nope!
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:38:33 AM EDT
[#15]
Some people only take checks. My geo-tech engineer for example.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:39:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I stopped using checkouts at the checkout ages ago.

Been paying with loose change for awhile now.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:39:38 AM EDT
[#17]
Because checks are more secure than debit cards at checkouts. I write them at the store, as do a lot of others in my AO. Sure, most of the time they're converted to electronic payment right then, but I don't have to worry about debit card skimmers. It also gives me a better accountability of how funds are spent.

Both of my sons got debit cards when they started college, and both had their cards skimmed / hacked several times within a few months of getting them. I also have adult friends that occasionally get unauthorized charges on debit cards.

Of course, cash is king, as long as you don't mind carrying it around.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:42:32 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Weak rant.  You forgot the people who count out exact change out of a pocketbook.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#19]
Infrequent check use:
Check to pay school fee for kids.
Check for a couple of bills.
Check to get cash (I dont use ATM)

Cash for:
Picking up take out.
Drink/ gum at gas station.
May use at restaurant if I dont want to wait on card.

Card:
Groceries
Gas
Some bills
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:44:23 AM EDT
[#20]
OP are you of those people that buy a soda for 1.99 and whip out your cc card ?
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:44:58 AM EDT
[#21]
My Father still does. He has no(never) CC or Debit cards. Just cash & a checkbook. His truck payment is auto deduct monthly, everything else gets purchased w/ cash. He is old school, God Bless him...
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:46:40 AM EDT
[#22]
Checks? Daaaym. Haven`t seen those since late -80`s.

How checks works these days? Do you load money into them via internetbank or how? How long battery lasts? I have no idea ...
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#23]
Checks are good for setting up ACH and extremely large transactions.

Even that can be accomplished with a letter from your bank or a cashier's check, which most businesses require.

There is literally nothing that a check does that Debit Card cannot do barring extremely large transactions such as a vehicle or home.

Everytime you write a check for your Werther's Originals, a young kid joins ANTIFA.  If you want to keep ANTIFA running please keep spending 5 minutes bitching about expired coupons, followed up with a 10 minute story that doesn't go anywhere and ending with writing not one but two checks because you got the date wrong.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#24]
The trick is to prefill the check, so that all you have to do at the register is fill in the amount and sign.  Doesn't really take all that long.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:49:46 AM EDT
[#25]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I always use the self checkouts.  Therefore getting stuck behind one of these people is never a problem.
View Quote

Same here. Local Costco put in self checkouts 2 months ago. It is great. Havent had to deal with dumbasses.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:52:21 AM EDT
[#27]
As a small business owner I'd MUCH rather get checks than credit cards. No fees with checks.

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:53:18 AM EDT
[#28]
We Need a Dress Code at the Airport - Sebastian Maniscalco
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:54:20 AM EDT
[#29]
I write checks for things that I can take off my taxes, it's an easy way for me to keep track. I have the check pretty well filled out so all I have to do is write in the amount and hand it to the cashier.

What chaps my ass is the people who pull out their plastic for small purchases and the fucking card doesn't work and they have to swipe the card fifteen times while the cashier tries to figure out why the card reader won't accept the card.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Cash is king.
Checks are better than plastic.
The government wants you to hate cash and love plastic.
They prefer to track your income and outgo, and plastic is the best way to do it.
View Quote

I want people to hate cash and use plastic.   Checks cannot die soon enough.  (but they won't because reasons)
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:55:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
As a small business owner I'd MUCH rather get checks than credit cards. No fees with checks.

View Quote

This.  But.  I can usually get paid a LOT faster with CC.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:56:54 AM EDT
[#32]
I still, on occasion run into small businesses that refuse to take debit cards (they don't was to lose 2% or whatever in fees)...seems to me, they are losing more business by not taking cards. I rarely carry cash, but there's always a checkbook stuck away, somewhere in the truck. I also use online banking that will actually mail out a check from the bank for scheduled payments, but that doesn't really count.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 9:57:31 AM EDT
[#33]
I always pay by check, also have 20 items in the 12 items or less line, use coupons, argue with the cashier about my coupons, make sure one item has the bar code scratched out and chastise the bagger for bagging my groceries wrong.
Not.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:04:18 AM EDT
[#34]
More and more places are charging CC surcharges.  

If a client pays me $1,000 via CC, I have to cough up $10-$40 in fees, depending on the card they use.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:04:22 AM EDT
[#35]
My bank acct has been hit twice(once at Christmas time) in three years from using debit card, CC also hit last year school shopping. Nobody has ever gone into my pocket & robbed my cash.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:05:02 AM EDT
[#36]
I use them to pay my water bill and the IRS. Water bill does a charge for cards., IRS why not?

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:05:43 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Do you own a business? If you did, you'd understand.
Check for $1000 - you get $1000
CC charge for $1000- you get $960-985

I talked to some business owners that paid $32,000 in credit card fees last year.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#38]
I write several checks a year so I definitely think they still have their place.

It's typically only for when an electronic payment method has some sort of fee though.

ETA: For example I just wrote a check a few days ago for my range fee. They wanted $5 fee to use a CC. No thanks. I'll spend the 45 seconds to write the check. Town/state payments are usually the same way.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:09:51 AM EDT
[#39]
ATMs had been around for 25 years but my parents never used one. When I told my Mom I was going to run down to the bank and get some cash one Sunday, she told me you can't get cash on Sundays.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:10:02 AM EDT
[#40]
Patience grasshopper.   My 99 year old mother still pays all her own bills, sometimes by check.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:10:13 AM EDT
[#41]
I do grocery runs for a local citizen support organization (a state-regulated non-profit). We always pay with a check. Makes audits a whole lot easier.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:11:25 AM EDT
[#42]
Why do people give a damn about what or how other people do things?
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:11:40 AM EDT
[#43]
I love it when I’m selling something and the reply is “Ill give you XXX amount of cash TODAY”. I’m like WTF else are you going to pay with, I’m not taking a check for it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:12:09 AM EDT
[#44]
A lot of my business vendors won't accept a credit card for my monthly statement and those few that will want to charge me a fee. Why the hell would I want to pay an extra $600.00 to pay a single bill?  I still get hundreds of thousands of dollars per month in checks from all of the major insurance companies for repairs to customer cars. Yep, multi million and billion dollar companies still writing and accepting checks.  Still have some employees who don't want direct deposit.

Damn, some of you punters really can't be this stupid, can you???

Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:13:12 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Because I refuse to pay a $5 fee per transaction to give the city my money for garbage and sewer every month.  They get their money more quickly online but want to charge the customer for it.  Nope!
View Quote

Same. Mail in to avoid the processing fees but also for water here.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:13:19 AM EDT
[#46]
I do it all the time because I know it annoys people like you.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:13:36 AM EDT
[#47]
I still write checks for a few things. Example, I refuse to pay extra for property taxes by using my credit card because of the fee that is imposed so they get the check via snail mail.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:17:24 AM EDT
[#48]
I use a credit card for most things but still prefer checks for others.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:18:22 AM EDT
[#49]
It happened to me yesterday.  Got behind a check woman. Didn’t get out her checkbook until the total was rung up.  I wanted to smack her. Groan.
Link Posted: 10/9/2020 10:18:40 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I talked to some business owners that paid $32,000 in credit card fees last year.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Funny you mentioned $32,000 in credit card fees. The exact amount I paid last year and I'm a small business where only a small portion of anything is paid with a C/C. Usually just a customer paying their insurance deductible for auto repairs. Of course, GD is filled with people who claim they can retire comfortably on 2-3 thousand dollars per month. Explains a lot of comments in this thread...lol.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top