BCM
User Panel

Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Quoting my uncle the first time he visited the US: "Why do you drink your beer ice cold? You can't taste anything!"

I don't know anyone who drinks warm beer though - just not ice cold as is the norm in the US.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm still stuck on the warm beer thing.

Quoting my uncle the first time he visited the US: "Why do you drink your beer ice cold? You can't taste anything!"

I don't know anyone who drinks warm beer though - just not ice cold as is the norm in the US.

Some brewer in some hipster place in Denver once told me the Brits drank some ales at room temperature. I have had several beers in London, never came across it myself. But, maybe that's a thing.

And "Ice Cold" is not the norm outside of places trying to find an angle to sell cheap beer. But, that's a lot of places.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Being from a Swiss-German family this is something I've wondered my entire life and I've never heard a satisfactory answer.

Give an enginnering task to Germans and they will usually come up with something that uses at least twice as many parts as say a similar thing created by an American or even a British firm.

We could talk about what the French would whip up to do the job but thats a whole other conversation.

During WW2 the German military pursued more complex weapons systems on the grounds that in a war of attrition they knew that they could never keep up with British, Russian and American industrial might. So they had a philosophy that one their weapons should be able to beat 3 of theirs.

At least I was told this. For all I know that is just one among millions of WW2 myths. That said it's been a long time since that war and it looks like the germans are still making lots of complicated things.
View Quote

A desire for effectiveness doesn't make it complicated, and complicated doesn't make it effective.

A cultural love of sophistication and a need to demonstrate one's ability to engineer a complicated device is what makes it complicated.

Mike
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#3]
My avatar approves.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If that's true, ... well, sounds like they don't have a concept for "it only needs to be good enough to do the job with a safety factor, not more. Not less. ps, some poor sap will have to fix it in the field with no special tools."

How very ... rudimentary, and unsophisticated of them.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad worked for a Berlin-based German company & he claimed they couldn’t understand “American thinking” which was “too rudimentary & unsophisticated.”

Not an answer, I realize, but I suspect cultural differences factor in.

For example—when the infamous Luger pistol had reliability issues with dirt & ammo—a better holster was offered, rather than “A1” version.

If that's true, ... well, sounds like they don't have a concept for "it only needs to be good enough to do the job with a safety factor, not more. Not less. ps, some poor sap will have to fix it in the field with no special tools."

True—but they gave my dad the most awesome, bitchinest West German precision tools—most of which I still have & some are used for reloading.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 1:49:17 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Some brewer in some hipster place in Denver once told me the Brits drank some ales at room temperature. I have had several beers in London, never came across it myself. But, maybe that's a thing.

And "Ice Cold" is not the norm outside of places trying to find an angle to sell cheap beer. But, that's a lot of places.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The "warm beer" thing is a myth.  It's not that they drink warm beer; it's just not refrigerated.  They have beer cellars that keep the beer naturally at a temperature in the thirties or forties (Fahrenheit) and therefore it doesn't need refrigeration.  No, it's not "ice cold," it's more like "fridge cold", but that's a far cry from "warm."
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 1:59:59 PM EDT
[#6]
I worked closely with Germans and Swiss Germans for many years.  Great guys.  There are upsides and downsides to the perfection mentality.
Much of what is designed is designed to live in a German style ecosystem, in which the only people maintaining the system or product will be highly competent, consistently trained, and properly equipped.  When all that is in place, you can build great things, and have them stay great for extended periods.  Outside of that ecosystem, results vary wildly.

One of the amusing things we had going when working together was their discontent for me getting into lots of "Do it by your own" projects on my house and vehicles.  Some of them would give small things a try, but for the most part, they liked to have the "meister" working on their cars and houses.  One had a kid that was in the midst of a multi year training/apprenticeship program to become a house painter, which was a common way to get into a trade as people prefer to pay a highly skilled person to do excellent work, and plan for that when deciding to have work done.  When he found out that most of our house painters start out by painting customers houses while a guy yells at them some, he was horrified.

Link Posted: 7/31/2023 3:09:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

LOL! Truth! I had an acquaintance once upon a time who did that. His toolbox looked like a Craftsmen wrench set designed by Salvador Dali of Melting Clocks fame. He had meticulously heated and shaped wrenches to all sorts of bizarre angles to fit into the V-12's many nooks and crannies.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I don’t want to hear shit about a German car until you’ve worked on a V12 Jaguar

LOL! Truth! I had an acquaintance once upon a time who did that. His toolbox looked like a Craftsmen wrench set designed by Salvador Dali of Melting Clocks fame. He had meticulously heated and shaped wrenches to all sorts of bizarre angles to fit into the V-12's many nooks and crannies.

I would like to see that. Closest thing I’ve heard of to something like that is the Cartier Crash wristwatch.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 3:29:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

True—but they gave my dad the most awesome, bitchinest West German precision tools—most of which I still have & some are used for reloading.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
My dad worked for a Berlin-based German company & he claimed they couldn’t understand “American thinking” which was “too rudimentary & unsophisticated.”

Not an answer, I realize, but I suspect cultural differences factor in.

For example—when the infamous Luger pistol had reliability issues with dirt & ammo—a better holster was offered, rather than “A1” version.

Yes, and I was impressed with the BMW e30 chassis car I got to do some work on too.

Mercedes, heck no, it was as if rube goldberg and lovecraft got together and had a child. And they were first cousins.

Seems it's either amazing, or "nuke it from orbit."
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 3:52:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The "warm beer" thing is a myth.  It's not that they drink warm beer; it's just not refrigerated.  They have beer cellars that keep the beer naturally at a temperature in the thirties or forties (Fahrenheit) and therefore it doesn't need refrigeration.  No, it's not "ice cold," it's more like "fridge cold", but that's a far cry from "warm."
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, this hipster dude in Denver was serving warm ass beer. Easily in the 70 degree Fahrenheit range. Tried to convince me it was a traditional style.  Again, though, have downed my shares of pints in London. Never saw it there. Just telling the story.

This thread is the first where I've heard anyone suggest Germans did anything similar.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 3:59:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 4:23:10 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I have a buddy in SOCOM (Delta), we all know PMAGs work very well but some of those Delta boys put so many rounds and do so much training with their HK416s that the PMAGs started cracking, many opted to go to the steel "high-reliability" HK416 magazines.

Sure they cost almost $100 each and weigh what 6 PMAGs weigh, but damn those things are absolute tanks, the finishing on them alone I better that most Ruger or S&W auto slides I have come across. The build quality on them is soooooo perfect and beautiful and unnecessary for a magazine that myself would feel bad even shooting those mags or letting them drop on the floor. Their HK416s were one of the very few guns that would not break down, the metallurgy on those rifles is top notch, they are heavy for a reason.

I may be biased because I've only leased and owner Bimmers, VWs, and Audis since I was a teen but optics, anything involving stamping and metals and mechanical components (like engines), and the Germans do some freaky, beautiful things with them.

As far as Jap cars, well they can stick to their TVs and electronics, of course any underpowered engine that is 8-10 years behind the rest will be reliable.
View Quote

Lol.  I shot with some Marines using the issue HK 416 “Maritime” stainless mags and none of them worked reliably because they were steel.  After one deployment they all had bent and deformed feed lips. I had to point that out to them on closer examination.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 4:27:20 PM EDT
[#12]
It eez not broken, zerefore more features are necessarily vequired.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:15:22 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 8:39:04 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I worked closely with Germans and Swiss Germans for many years.  Great guys.  There are upsides and downsides to the perfection mentality.
Much of what is designed is designed to live in a German style ecosystem, in which the only people maintaining the system or product will be highly competent, consistently trained, and properly equipped.  When all that is in place, you can build great things, and have them stay great for extended periods.  Outside of that ecosystem, results vary wildly.
View Quote

Excellent observation. It's very hard for them to understand that when they export that equipment to a third-world country like - let's face it, the US - the equipment will be subjected to a level of mishandling, mis-installation, neglect, incompetent operation, and abuse that would be unthinkable inside their ecosystem.,
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:31:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I continue to be amazed by GD's wisdom in telling me exactly all the traits I have even though most have not met Germans and gotten to know them well enough, much less know ENOUGH of them to draw conclusions about the entire country's population.

Allow me to tell you EXACTLY how every single American is:
  • Americans are loud
  • Americans are obnoxious
  • Americans are fat and lazy
  • Americans are cowboys
  • etc.
Don't try to persuade me otherwise - I have met an American and he met all these stereotypes so it's true about all Americans!
View Quote

So....what are your thoughts on Texans?
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 9:35:41 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Excellent observation. It's very hard for them to understand that when they export that equipment to a third-world country like - let's face it, the US - the equipment will be subjected to a level of mishandling, mis-installation, neglect, incompetent operation, and abuse that would be unthinkable inside their ecosystem.,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So only partially German adjacent, but the guys at the Glock HQ outside of Vienna definitely felt that way about Smyrna, GA facility.
Link Posted: 7/31/2023 10:29:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The German beer is so superior, it isn't funny.

German beer tastes very good, so it doesn't matter if it's very cold or not.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 9:09:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I raise you the 911 cup holder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqGK43jMDxY
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Motor Trend or another car magazine looked into this years ago.  They compared ash trays.  The US made ones were 1-3 parts. A stamped part and maybe a handled that was screwed on. The one of a Mercedes?  23 parts....

I raise you the 911 cup holder:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqGK43jMDxY

Then there’s the cup holder in my W212 Mercedes. It’s just a plastic insert, because “if you wouldn’t put a steering wheel on a coffee table, why would you put a drink holder in your car?”

Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:37:34 PM EDT
[#19]
They don't drink warm beer in Germany; they just don't drink it close to freezing, more like 4 to 7 °C (41 - 45 °F).
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 8:55:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In other words, hire russian engineers?
Page / 5
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top