Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Posted: 6/15/2016 9:18:38 PM EDT
I've got a 16 year old who just got her license and another turning 15 in October who will be getting her learning permit...so I decided I needed an econobox with a manual transmission so they could get confident with driving a stick.

We test drove a Corolla and a Civic, and liked the Civic a little better.  Of course, neither the Toyota nor the Honda dealers had a manual transmission in stock, only the CVTs.

So at Honda I ask them to order the car I wanted in the color my daughter liked best.  Salesman wanders off and then the manager comes over, tries to sell me on the CVT as it gets better mileage.  I explain my goals again, emphasizing the desire for a clutch pedal.

Then he tries to sell me a used Civic with a manual transmission he has on the lot.  No thanks.

Manager wanders off, comes back with two cars they've located in a twelve state search.  Manual transmissions, but wrong color.

I finally said, "Can I just order the car I want?"

He answered, "We can try, but if we can't do you want one of these other two?"

My answer was a big grin and, "Why couldn't you do it?  I have complete confidence in you!"

He laughed, and they finally ordered the car I had been trying to buy for past half hour.

What is the big friggin' deal about ordering?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:20:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I've got a 16 year old who just got her license and another turning 15 in October who will be getting her learning permit...so I decided I needed an econobox with a manual transmission so they could get confident with driving a stick.

We test drove a Corolla and a Civic, and liked the Civic a little better.  Of course, neither the Toyota nor the Honda dealers had a manual transmission in stock, only the CVTs.

So at Honda I ask them to order the car I wanted in the color my daughter liked best.  Salesman wanders off and then the manager comes over, tries to sell me on the CVT as it gets better mileage.  I explain my goals again, emphasizing the desire for a clutch pedal.

Then he tries to sell me a used Civic with a manual transmission he has on the lot.  No thanks.

Manager wanders off, comes back with two cars they've located in a twelve state search.  Manual transmissions, but wrong color.

My answer was a big grin and, "Why couldn't you do it?  I have complete confidence in you!"

He laughed, and they finally ordered the car I had been trying to buy for past half hour.

View Quote

It isn't money right now, even if they make more profit off you later.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:21:39 PM EDT
[#2]
They want to turn over their existing inventory.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:22:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Just like gun shops.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:22:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I found a Honda dealer willing to find the manual transmission Accord I wanted . I took going to about 5 dealerships . My favorite of the experience was a dealer sales idiot who told me a manual transmission was not available in white cars . What a stupid fuck
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
because they already have units on the lot they don't want to get stuck with at the end of the season.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:23:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Laziness
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:24:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Short answer
they pay for the cars on the lot
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:25:25 PM EDT
[#8]
I have been having this problem since 2007.  I asked my local Honda dealership to perform a trade with a dealership that they traded with in Texas to get me a replacement 6MT Accord after I totaled mine, and they flat out refused to do it.  

In 2013, I wanted a BMW 135i and the BMW dealership flat out refused to order me one while trying to sell me a 128i that they had on the lot.  I told the sales associate that he missed sales 101 in that you NEVER down-sell a customer who wants a higher model because it insults the customer and wastes their time.

Again in 2013, I tried to get my local Mitsubishi dealership to order me the EVO MR.  Instead, they tried to sell me a Scion FR-S.  I had to explain to the sales associate that I wanted AWD with a flappy paddle gear box, not a RWD Civic.  As a result, I ended up with a VW GTI because they had a few on the lot with a DSG but no Golf Rs with a DSG, at least not until now (ETA:  That Golf R did NOT exist in 2013). Recently, they claimed that they would order me a new Golf R with a DSG if I really wanted one, but, I'm on the fence about dealing with them again.

OTOH, I can order a Ford or Subaru but I personally know the owners of those dealerships.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:26:28 PM EDT
[#9]
If you leave without signing for a new car they have they may "lose a sale" I work at one and I hate seeing the crap they pull.. (I'm not sales)
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#10]
I had a similar problem looking for a Chevy Colorado truck.................multiple dealerships wanted me to take what was on the lot, and even told me that there was an 8-12 week wait for them.............went to a local dealership, salesman told me to give him a day, and he called me 24 hours later and said he had what I wanted and would trade one of this for it..............now I drive it
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:29:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I imagine there is some fraction of customers who have them order cars with weird, unsalable option combos and then they back out.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:33:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Try autotrader to find what you are looking for.    Truecar is another option.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:34:52 PM EDT
[#13]
my dealer was happy to take my order for a 2015 Mustang GT
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:35:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I went to over a dozen Honda dealers in SoCal, and NONE of them would let me order my Pilot the way I wanted. Every dealer came back with the same line that Honda corporate doesn't allow it; apparently, they build whatever the fuck they want, and divvy it up amongst the dealers however they like.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

I imagine there is some fraction of customers who have them order cars with weird, unsalable option combos and then they back out.
View Quote
That was how I ended up with my first 6MT Accord.  It was ordered and the person lost his job before it came in.  I knew the sales associate, and AFTER he sold the car to me, he told me that the dealership kept that poor guy's deposit and he was going to look like a hero for moving the car.  I didn't care because I paid $2k less than I would have paid for any other V6 Automatic Accord on the lot with the same options.  Well, minus the manual transmission.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:38:33 PM EDT
[#16]

did you pay extra for the TrueCoat™ ??
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:38:34 PM EDT
[#17]

In TX-OK-LA-AR-MS, Gulf States Toyota is the distributor and pretty much dictates what the dealers get.  You can order, but it's a hassle.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I wish I could buy a car from Honda.com and have it delivered it to my driveway just like pretty much every other mobile commodity in the universe.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:40:54 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

A deposit should take care of that. In high school a buddy of mine ordered an 02 Silverado regular cab 4x4 with the 5.3 Vortec, manual transmission, a 6.5' bed and 4:10 gears. He had to put down either 2500 or 3500, I don't remember. Nobody stocked what he wanted and he knew exactly what he wanted.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:41:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I had a similar problem looking for a Chevy Colorado truck.................multiple dealerships wanted me to take what was on the lot, and even told me that there was an 8-12 week wait for them.............went to a local dealership, salesman told me to give him a day, and he called me 24 hours later and said he had what I wanted and would trade one of this for it..............now I drive it
View Quote

Yup dealer swaps, we get them often and from as far away as vt ma. But just ordering does take awhile.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:43:28 PM EDT
[#21]
No problem ordering my Challenger. I wanted a Blue RT Super Trac pack and a 6sp manual, nothing else. No stripes, no BS, just a Blue RT STP with a manual. had it in 6 weeks, window sticker states "Specifically made for USNPJS"
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:43:49 PM EDT
[#22]
Of course they wanted you to sell you a Civic now, but they did do a search to try to accommodate you, you have to give them that.

Look at the month, it's June.
Most manufacturers have finished their MY2016 build out and the dealers are left sourcing what you are looking for (colour choice) from existing stock at other dealers in your AO.
That leaves you with a choice of what they can locate for you and it is standard practice to offer the customer 3 colour choices.
If you insist on a certain colour that cannot be found that means you move to a factory order, and that will no doubt be a 2017MY and you will have to wait for it.

If you are haggling on the price of a factory ordered unicorn you will be wasting your time, you pay what the dealer is offering the car to you for (especially Honda) and will be bound to purchase the car with a sizeable non-refundable deposit.
The reason for this is that the dealer does not want to be stuck with a flaming pink Civic with a stick that they will have a very difficult time selling if you decide to eat your deposit and back out.

Unicorns aint cheap.

I go through this regularly with Corvette and Camaro buyers, not so much with Cruze or Sonic folks.

I suggest being more flexible with colour choice and most people are (86%) if they are getting everything else they want on the car.

Hell, most folks cannot tell you what colour the car is if they are blindfolded and plopped in the drivers seat and the blindfold is removed..

LOL
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:47:18 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Just like gun shops.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just like gun shops.

Meh. From the gun shop perspective, special orders are no big deal assuming they're paid in full up front. It's money made with no additional investment, and the majority of the guns on the shelf aren't losing value.

For car dealers, customers aren't paying up front, and car dealers have to worry about shit like hitting manufacturer set goals and leftover inventory losing value when the next model year comes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:47:31 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:48:11 PM EDT
[#25]
15 year old learning how to drive a standard and you're looking at brand new cars?

Get an older cheap car and thank yourself later.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:48:32 PM EDT
[#26]
I know what I want and if you fuck me around, I will go to a dealership that doesn't.

I live in Indiana but will go to CA if I have to.

Car dealership (owners) are scum.

TC
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:48:40 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:49:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Salesmen fucking lie.

I was trying to buy a silver 2013 Accord EXL/Nav in 2013. And the dealers sales guy kept giving me the runaround as to why he couldn't get it. After 3 BS conversations, I looked online and there was one at another dealer not 25 miles away. I was like "Do you want to sell me a car or not? I'll go buy it elsewhere if you want to play games." They had the car I wanted the next business day.

I was paying cash.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:49:18 PM EDT
[#29]
They have money tied up in that inventory, so that's what they would prefer to move.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:49:22 PM EDT
[#30]
why would you do this

arent you getting charged MSRP?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:49:31 PM EDT
[#31]
Not sure.

Spoke to about 5 to order an f350 for me. Got told they couldn't get me what I wanted.

Found 5 trucks used with what I wanted so far, for 15k less and only 20k miles on the odometer.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Of course they wanted you to sell you a Civic now, but they did do a search to try to accommodate you, you have to give them that.

Most manufacturers have finished their MY2016 build out and the dealers are left sourcing what you are looking for (colour choice) from existing stock at other dealers in your AO.
That leaves you with a choice of what they can locate for you and it is standard practice to offer the customer 3 colour choices.
If you insist on a certain colour that cannot be found that means you move to a factory order, and that will no doubt be a 2017MY and you will have to wait for it.

If you are haggling on the price of a factory ordered unicorn you will be wasting your time, you pay what the dealer is offering the car to you for (especially Honda) and will be bound to purchase the car with a sizeable non-refundable deposit.
The reason for this is that the dealer does not want to be stuck with a flaming pink Civic with a stick that they will have a very difficult time selling if you decide to eat your deposit and back out.

Unicorns aint cheap.

I go through this regularly with Corvette and Camaro buyers, not so much with Cruze or Sonic folks.

I suggest being more flexible with colour choice and most people are (86%) if they are getting everything else they want on the car.

Hell, most folks cannot tell you what colour the car is if they are blindfolded and plopped in the drivers seat and the blindfold is removed..

LOL
View Quote

true
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:51:21 PM EDT
[#33]
Why can't you do jap delivery like I did with European delivery?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:51:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

View Quote

Normally foreign manufactures don't take orders, they build it and you take it, they have a set number of a certain model with a certain option package.  Even if the car is built in the states, they don't take orders.

I remember back before I went into the service, I worked at a car dealership for a summer and we got what they sent us, period, no way to change what you got.  Chevy, Dodge, Ford, sure you can order a car, Honda, Toyota, BMW, etc, no way no how, each production run is programed to maximize profits

I would be very surprised if he is actually "Ordering" you a car, what he is going to do is a search 50 state and Canada wide to see if he can find what you want and trade one of his and have yours ship to him, so be very prepared to wait a really long time for it to show up, if it ever shows up!

Did you give him a deposit?
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:52:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Have you tried the fit? 16.5k (iirc) with the manual before negotiating, assloads of room for a car that size, much less blind spots than a civic or other sedan, much easier to park.

I bought the LX fit with the CVT for a grand less than the msrp, and they had to order it. Took 3 weeks to deliver.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:53:47 PM EDT
[#36]
I don't settle, I get exactly what I want or I go to someone who will get me what I want.  Dealers are a dime a dozen.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:56:35 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

Unicorns aint cheap.

LOL
View Quote

Gem green and tan King Ranch edition F350, FX4 package would not be hard to sell.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:57:21 PM EDT
[#38]
I ordered my 2015 Tacoma and waited almost 2 months for it. They were trying to put me in one they already had either new or pre owned. But I held my ground and frankly said they could either order me what I want or I'll find another dealer who will. Put $500 down then and had them call me when my truck was ready for delivery.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:57:49 PM EDT
[#39]
A sale today is better than one 2 months down the road
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
In TX-OK-LA-AR-MS, Gulf States Toyota is the distributor and pretty much dictates what the dealers get.  You can order, but it's a hassle.
View Quote

Not at the Fred Haas in Spring we surprisingly had an easy experience.  Don McGill did the ole "let me talk to my manager"
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:01:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I went to over a dozen Honda dealers in SoCal, and NONE of them would let me order my Pilot the way I wanted. Every dealer came back with the same line that Honda corporate doesn't allow it; apparently, they build whatever the fuck they want, and divvy it up amongst the dealers however they like.

View Quote

Honda limits their build lists to specific "macro" models - LX/EX/SE/Touring, etc. Production volumes are adjusted carefully to match demand, with little over-production, hence, dealers get whatever they are allocated from the factory build, based on their sales volume, "Wish List", and anticipated sales forward - no provision for customization. It's their business model, and is what it is.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:02:41 PM EDT
[#42]
My brother is a service manager for a small ford dealer. Think 3 techs, the owner is the only saleman, small town of 1500. I tried to get him to order me one 3 times over 2 years and he wouldn't even quote me a price.

His reason?

"Well, yeah we could order one but, ya know there is going to be some extra paperwork and we would have to order it, they wont sent it for 6 weeks............and we would have to order it........"

Apparently "we would have to order it" is a reason to not order it.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:04:24 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

I ordered my Tacoma, and waited till it came off the assembly line 5 months later in Texas. It was hassle free, and  I was only in the dealership about 45 minutes.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:05:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

Gem green and tan King Ranch edition F350, FX4 package would not be hard to sell.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unicorns aint cheap.

LOL

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:07:16 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View Quote

We love our new Pilot!

The only complaint my wife had was that it didn't have a CD player in it.

Only because none of the other comparable vehicles have one either, except the Nissan Pathfinder, did she decide that not having one was okay.

BigDozer66
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:09:17 PM EDT
[#46]
Can't renege on a deal once you take delivery.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:10:28 PM EDT
[#47]
Japanese and European car manufacturers don't like to do "special orders" and most dealerships won't touch special order deals.
I have only seen one fleet sales office in a Japanese car dealership, and even then they would not deal in one and twos, they were only interested in selling "fleet" sales.

Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:12:51 PM EDT
[#48]
They want to close the deal today, not a few weeks from now.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:17:19 PM EDT
[#49]
I've never had a problem ordering cars.  3 BMWs, 1 Ford, and 1 Dodge over 13 years.  Never once received any pushback from salespeople.  Easy money for them, just a few minutes typing on a keyboard.
Link Posted: 6/15/2016 10:18:14 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote

That was my experience.  I wanted a specific Toyota and they had lots of trouble getting it in.  Delay after delay.  Finally got it, but heaven forbid I wanted the car within the next 2 months.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top