Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:21:51 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:22:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Baby Back pork ribs
Seared/browned on a cast iron dutch oven bottom
Rub added
Beer and chicken stock to cover the bottom of the pan.
Covered; oven for 2 hours at 275
Rest
Take out to the Weber; indirect smokey heat for a few minutes with sauce

Done.

Never saw this method anywhere; just curious.  Not sure this is original, just wondering if anyone does it this way!
View Quote

Or you could just no fuck up cooking ribs the way everyone else does it......
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:23:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Man you guys would cringe if you saw me cook ribs... 36 hours in a sous vide with a dry rub at 145 and then seared.  This gives me legit fall off the bone ribs while staying very moist.

I’m sorry.

-Mike
View Quote

But you don't get that smoke flavor. I'm not against Sous Vide as a matter of fact I sous vide brisket for 40 hours cool in ice water bath then smoke to 160 degrees.  Just seems like a lot of trouble for ribs
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ribs are not supposed to fall off the bone.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Man you guys would cringe if you saw me cook ribs... 36 hours in a sous vide with a dry rub at 145 and then seared.  This gives me legit fall off the bone ribs while staying very moist.

I’m sorry.

-Mike

Ribs are not supposed to fall off the bone.

I hear this all of the time, but fuck that my family and I (and most people I know) like them that way.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:26:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
"Fall off the bone" ribs are over cooked ribs.  I love me some sous vide, but pork back or spare ribs is not the application for that style of cooking IMO.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry.

-Mike
"Fall off the bone" ribs are over cooked ribs.  I love me some sous vide, but pork back or spare ribs is not the application for that style of cooking IMO.

WRONG
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:27:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Baby Back pork ribs
Rub added
Rest

Done.

Never saw this method anywhere; just curious.  Not sure this is original, just wondering if anyone does it this way!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:32:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:36:55 PM EDT
[#9]
KISS......keep is simple stupid....

1. remove membrane
2. add rub as desired
3. refrigerate overnight
4. smoke at 250 or so till done.
5. enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:38:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you like eating over cooked, textureless mush, more power to you man, I ain't hatin'.

But I despise the "fall off the bone" rib.  Most times to get this result, it takes pre-cooking, like boiling, sous vide or overly long, low and slow cooking in high moisture environments, like using the Texas cheat/braising them in a sauce to get that result.  All of those except end up being mushy and flavorless, as the long cook process and high moisture/braising draws the natural pork goodness of the meat out.

A properly cooked rib should have a little bite and tear to it, like a properly cooked steak.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry.

-Mike

WRONG
If you like eating over cooked, textureless mush, more power to you man, I ain't hatin'.

But I despise the "fall off the bone" rib.  Most times to get this result, it takes pre-cooking, like boiling, sous vide or overly long, low and slow cooking in high moisture environments, like using the Texas cheat/braising them in a sauce to get that result.  All of those except end up being mushy and flavorless, as the long cook process and high moisture/braising draws the natural pork goodness of the meat out.

A properly cooked rib should have a little bite and tear to it, like a properly cooked steak.

According to who?
I get them fall off the bone using the 2-2-1 method (for baby backs) at a slightly higher smoking temp, they are not mush or flavorless.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Baby Back pork ribs
Rub added
Rest

Done.

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:41:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

According to who?
I get them fall off the bone using the 2-2-1 method (for baby backs) at a slightly higher smoking temp, they are not mush or flavorless.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry.

-Mike

WRONG

According to who?

According to every BBQ competition ever. According to every good BBQ restaurant ever.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:44:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Rub.
Low heat.
Smoke.
Proffitt.
View Quote

This.  I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub and smoke at 250 until done.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:46:23 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

WRONG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry.

-Mike

WRONG

No, you and your family just prefer to eat overcooked ribs. I'll be the first to admit that I like my burgers overcooked, but I won't try to argue that the way I like them is the "proper" way, it's just how I prefer them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
3/2/1 or choke yourself
View Quote

Might be a bit extreme but with 3/2/1 anyone can make fantastic ribs
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#16]
The OP should be banned for cooking ribs that way. The fuck is wrong with you, OP?
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:47:56 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:52:04 PM EDT
[#18]
7 Hrs at 250.  Wrapped and rested in cooler for :45.  Always tender juicy and fall of bone.  Maybe your bb ribs aren’t meaty enough.  

Attachment Attached File

6 racks in there.  20 lbs.  heat sink filled with water.  Gone when finished.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#19]
it's an interesting idea to try to add flavor by searing, but i don't think the juice is worth the squeeze.  pork rib meat is a bunch of small increments, and searing is going to stress meat fibers and dry everything out.  i don't think you're going to get enough from a shallow braise to replace what you lose.

i could be wrong--smoking is not my area--but IMO if you're going to smoke, then trust the smoke.  don't try to tart it up with other stuff.  sometimes more is just more.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:53:31 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

According to every BBQ competition ever. According to every good BBQ restaurant ever.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry.

-Mike

WRONG

According to who?

Even they admit they cook different for competition. In your opinion.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:54:15 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

No, you and your family just prefer to eat overcooked ribs. I'll be the first to admit that I like my burgers overcooked, but I won't try to argue that the way I like them is the "proper" way, it's just how I prefer them.
View Quote

See this is my point, there is no proper way. The proper way is the way you like them. It is the same with all of the if it over room temp it's over cooked steak crowd. If you like it that way more power to you but that doesn't make it right (or wrong) I like my steak somewhere between medium and medium rare which is the "proper way" for me.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:55:58 PM EDT
[#22]
Any variation of 3.2.1. Works great in my Weber kettle. Bark, and fall off the bone.

ETA: When I say "fall off the bone" I mean well retracted meat and easy to pull. Not overcooked and soupy.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:56:08 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sorry.

-Mike

WRONG

According to who?

Lots of what differs in comp cooking is trimming and presentation.

I’m from Kansas City originally, so BBQ is close to my heart. Lots of places disagree on BBQ - it’s why we have styles - but one thing pretty much universal among BBQ regions is that fall-off-the-bone ribs are less desirable.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 7:56:37 PM EDT
[#24]
Look up the snake method of setting up your charcoal.   That is what I used until I got my slow and sear for my kettle.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:00:06 PM EDT
[#25]
You’re doing it wrong if they’re dry.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:00:18 PM EDT
[#26]
Liberal coat of John Henry’s pecan rub.

4 hours in the smoker with pecan wood. Put a sauce pan with water in the smoker to keep the ribs from drying out.

Remove from smoker, drown in bbq sauce, firm up on the grill.

Serve up hot with cornbread and black eye peas
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:00:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:01:53 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Baby Back pork ribs
Rub added
Rest

Done.

View Quote

Good God - remind me to never accept an invitation for ribs at your place!!!

Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:03:03 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Baby Back pork ribs
Rub added
Rest

Done.

View Quote

Good god man you need to come to bbq country. Those poor pigs died for you to eat.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:05:07 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

You over cooked them.  The 3-2-1 method at 275 will most certainly over cook them.

2-1-1 at about 250 will probably produce better results for baby backs and add another hour for spare ribs.

The best is 220-230 for six or so hours with no wrapping.
View Quote

Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:07:44 PM EDT
[#31]
That's a ton of work.

Coat with mustard.
Rub on spices.
Put water pan in smoker.
Smoke at 225 for 6 hours.

No wrapping BS.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:08:46 PM EDT
[#32]
3-2-1 method makes the meat fall off the bone when I do this. Traeger grill at 225. Falling off the bone is not correct. How can I modify this method to correct this?
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:10:44 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
You may might possibly could be wanna reflect on why that is.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Baby Back pork ribs
Rub added
Rest

Done.

You may might possibly could be wanna reflect on why that is.

Interestingly enough, that may very well be why I posted this.

Since I've only been here since 1999 I guess I just haven't quite been around long enough.

So a guy posts fabulous looking ribs without a word on how he did them.  Tell me how to get there thanks.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:13:12 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I hear this all of the time, but fuck that my family and I (and most people I know) like them that way.
View Quote

You and your family are UnAmerican and wrong.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:14:24 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
3-2-1 method makes the meat fall off the bone when I do this. Traeger grill at 225. Falling off the bone is not correct. How can I modify this method to correct this?
View Quote

Get rid of the “2” part
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:15:27 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:16:41 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Look up the snake method of setting up your charcoal.   That is what I used until I got my slow and sear for my kettle.
View Quote

I've done the snake.  I have a Slow n Sear.

Both cool.  My results are a bit dry either way.  Even 3-2-1.

Maybe true smoked ribs are dryer than I like them.

Grew up with German style, simmered in Sauerkraut.  Maybe that's the problem.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:17:20 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

See this is my point, there is no proper way. The proper way is the way you like them. It is the same with all of the if it over room temp it's over cooked steak crowd. If you like it that way more power to you but that doesn't make it right (or wrong) I like my steak somewhere between medium and medium rare which is the "proper way" for me.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No, the proper way is always the proper way. If you prefer it different that's fine, but the way you prefer it has no bearing on what's proper.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:18:07 PM EDT
[#39]
With nothing more than salt pepper and hardwood smoke and time you should be able to make delicious, unctuous, moist, tender, flavorful ribs. It really requires nothing more than a modest investment in equipment, some patience, and some basic skills.

You start adding foil, pressure cookers, boiling, frying pans, ovens, and all other manner of fuckery and you are just ruining your ribs.

My only advice, is ditch the babybacks, and get some spares.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:20:41 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

I like Filipinas.

No room on the patio for dedicated smoker.  Got a great 22in Weber Kettle.

Tell me how to get a result that isn't dry.
View Quote

Just did 3 racks of BB Ribs on the BGE today.  Did them using the 2/1.5/1.5 @ 225.  (3/2/1 is NOT for BB Ribs IMHO.)

Are you using indirect heat on your Kettle?  Direct heat will dry them out.   See that you do this.  

3/2/1 is too long for BB Ribs.  That extra hour is really going to dry them out especially @ 275.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:20:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

No, the proper way is always the proper way. If you prefer it different that's fine, but the way you prefer it has no bearing on what's proper.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Once again WHO decides what proper. Proper is what each individual likes.

ETA: As long as the preparation method is such that the finished product is safe to eat.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

This.  I use Bad Byron's Butt Rub and smoke at 250 until done.
View Quote

+1 on BBB Rub.  It's all I use.  I do, however, add copious amount of Cayenne pepper to it.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:26:47 PM EDT
[#43]
Its almost like taste and texture are individual preference or something.

Weird.
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:29:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Meat takes up smoke at lower temperatures.

By searing and browning you're basically defeating the purpose.

Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:29:49 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe some squeeze butter ala johnny trigg method when you wrap.  
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:33:10 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:34:30 PM EDT
[#47]
Some of y’all got some fucked up ways of cooking ribs.

Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:37:52 PM EDT
[#48]
Baby backs done 2-2-1 (3-2-1 for St Louis Style) Johnny Trigg method.
They come out perfect and not dry at all every time - and they taste great (as Tony would say...)!
If yours are too dry then you are cooking them too long after the wrap.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:40:12 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Baby Back pork ribs
Rub added
Rest

Done.

View Quote

Because....
Link Posted: 7/9/2020 8:47:02 PM EDT
[#50]
In this thread we discover closet commies
Page / 4
Top Top