Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 6
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:34:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I actually accused the second cop of being the guy who wrote me the other ticket in the same spot the week before. I had to go pull the first ticket out of the drawer and it wasn't him. Cops are a lot more polite when you give them shit since they got those tummy cameras.

Now that I know their hiding spot I cut through a bunch of residential side streets instead of using the main road, lol. That's good police work

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta meet the ticket quota.
Last two tickets I got were from the cars with the regular "Speed Trap, New York" markings in color. I would assume they are all reflective anyway.  

Locally I believe the speed traps are referred to as "penguin snares"
I actually accused the second cop of being the guy who wrote me the other ticket in the same spot the week before. I had to go pull the first ticket out of the drawer and it wasn't him. Cops are a lot more polite when you give them shit since they got those tummy cameras.

Now that I know their hiding spot I cut through a bunch of residential side streets instead of using the main road, lol. That's good police work

So you accused the wrong cop of writing you an earlier ticket and he was polite while you made this accusation into his tummy camera?  So he has video of you accusing him (wrongly) of writing you a different ticket earlier and just smiled and let you go on?  So video of you mis identifying the officer and admitting that you got a ticket in the same place a week earlier?  Can attorneys tell them selves to be quiet?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:34:49 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Same reason they need hidden icons despite showing up in every cop thread.

Because LOLsec and Pursesec
View Quote
It was non LEO members who complained and got them hidden.

I could give a shit if you know I'm a cop.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:35:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Any vehicle that is tasked with traffic enforcement and performing roadside stops should be clearly marked with department name on all four sides, have roof top warning lights and chevron striping on the rear.

I cant wait for the ARFCops to argue why any of the above isn't a good idea.
View Quote

Any vehicle that is driving on a public roadway should fully obey all traffic laws.

I can't wait for the ARFTards to argue why any of the above isn't a good idea.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:35:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Those ghost graphics reflect a ton of light at night.
View Quote

Yes they do. The reflective materials also come in a variety of colors. You can have nighttime and daytime visibility.  We do a lot of graphics for regional departments, I haven't seen a lot of the ghosted images catching on here yet.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:36:19 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Revenue
View Quote

It's explained on his front fender.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:38:23 AM EDT
[#6]
I was at a 5K the other day and they had unmarked Nissan Altimas with full-hidden lights inside. I would never guess it was the 5.0 aside from on very hard to notice thing (which I will never mention to anyone).
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:38:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

No argument from me. We had both marked and unmarked cars in our traffic unit. I preferred the marked car and saw no difference in how easy it was to write violations.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Any vehicle that is tasked with traffic enforcement and performing roadside stops should be clearly marked with department name on all four sides, have roof top warning lights and chevron striping on the rear.
I cant wait for the ARFCops to argue why any of the above isn't a good idea.

No argument from me. We had both marked and unmarked cars in our traffic unit. I preferred the marked car and saw no difference in how easy it was to write violations.

It's a two edged sword.   Have a lot of unmarked cars?   People complain there's no visible presence.  Have none?  You give up the deterrent effect of it.  

At least on the highway, the unmarked is good for getting the very high rate of speed paces, and in town people blazing through school zones.  

It would be stupid to take the hard stance that an unmarked car has no legitimate role at all in traffic enforcement.  
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:39:49 AM EDT
[#8]
I guess on the other end of the spectrum there are the British cop cars.

They have those crazy razzle-dazzle day-glo paint jobs that induce seizures.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:40:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:40:54 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

FPNI Again!

Fuck crime deterrence. It's all about redistributing your wealth.

BTW: How much cash you got on you today, civilian? Any donations for orphanages we don't know about? Our tac team wants new Wilson Combats all around and the city budget won't allow it. Care to make a donation?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Revenue

FPNI Again!

Fuck crime deterrence. It's all about redistributing your wealth.

BTW: How much cash you got on you today, civilian? Any donations for orphanages we don't know about? Our tac team wants new Wilson Combats all around and the city budget won't allow it. Care to make a donation?

Every now and then someone posts something truly, truly stupid.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:41:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I don't know if the image shows up, but I tried to post a picture of one of those above. It's a silver car with "Police" in silver lettering, it does look cool, actually the black on black cars look kind of cool too  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A local department has one in all white with the the badging that can only been seen when the light hits it right.  They use it to sit along the 4 lane road through town that goes from 45 to 25 in the span of a like 1/2 mile.
I don't know if the image shows up, but I tried to post a picture of one of those above. It's a silver car with "Police" in silver lettering, it does look cool, actually the black on black cars look kind of cool too  

Yeah, I see it now.  It looks like that.  Pretty cool looking.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:43:44 AM EDT
[#13]
We currently don't have any stealthy vehicles - all normal marked patrol cars.

Recently I dealt with a very verbal (pissed off) resident complaining about all the speeders on his street.  Him, "They're going 60 mph!  ALL day!"  

We post officers there in marked cars.  He complains, "Well they all slow down when they see your marked car!  That does no good!!  Bring out a traffic/unmarked car!!"

I explain we don't have any unmarked vehicles (small department 30 ofc).  He isn't having any of it.

Conclusion - I went there in an old forfeited red Chevrolet with a LIDAR for the hell of it and documented speeds in a vehicle that TOTALLY didn't look like a police vehicle - and had no emergency equipment.  Top speed was 41 in 25...and that was of around 150 vehicles during a couple hours of sitting, drinking coffee and zapping oncoming vehicles.  Avg speed?  29 in 25...

CSB.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:43:51 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Why even waste the money on putting "Police" on the side of what is obviously an unmarked speed trap car if you can't read it?
View Quote

So that it isn't "unmarked".

Does NYS have laws against unmarked cars pulling over motorists?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:44:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Does NYS have laws against unmarked cars pulling over motorists?
View Quote

No.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:44:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:45:19 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Frankly all police vehicles should be clearly marked.  None of this bullshit stealth operators.  
View Quote

I assume you mean police vehicles that are doing V&T enforcement?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:47:27 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Why even waste the money on putting "Police" on the side of what is obviously an unmarked speed trap car if you can't read it?
View Quote

I don't know about New York, but some states have minimum required markings for vehicles that do traffic enforcement. For example, in Michigan, police cars were required to have a minimum marking on the passenger side. The agency I worked for used to run all black "slick-top" cars with the Michigan Sheriff's Association emblem/badge on the passenger door as their "traffic" cars. Now all of the Tahoes and Interceptor Utilities are fully marked, though some still run with only grill and dash lights instead of a full lightbar. The cars are now all black, so they don't stand out quite as much as the older two-tone black and whites.

Stealth lettering may allow the agency to follow the letter of the law while skirting its spirit.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:47:42 AM EDT
[#19]
We call them "Ghost Cars" down here...

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:48:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
We currently don't have any stealthy vehicles - all normal marked patrol cars.

Recently I dealt with a very verbal (pissed off) resident complaining about all the speeders on his street.  Him, "They're going 60 mph!  ALL day!"  

We post officers there in marked cars.  He complains, "Well they all slow down when they see your marked car!  That does no good!!  Bring out a traffic/unmarked car!!"

I explain we don't have any unmarked vehicles (small department 30 ofc).  He isn't having any of it.

Conclusion - I went there in an old forfeited red Chevrolet with a LIDAR for the hell of it and documented speeds in a vehicle that TOTALLY didn't look like a police vehicle - and had no emergency equipment.  Top speed was 41 in 25...and that was of around 150 vehicles during a couple hours of sitting, drinking coffee and zapping oncoming vehicles.  Avg speed?  29 in 25...

CSB.
View Quote

Buddie's ex-wife called city hall complaining about all the speeders going down their street.
She called again the next week , saying nothing was being done.
Next day I was drinking a beer with buddy in his garage.

Wife pulls up bitching because she got a ticket for speeding down the street.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:49:02 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A local department has one in all white with the the badging that can only been seen when the light hits it right.  They use it to sit along the 4 lane road through town that goes from 45 to 25 in the span of a like 1/2 mile.

That's all it is, we have black on black and they look pretty freakin' slick. Also, the lettering is highly reflective.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:49:10 AM EDT
[#22]
I see this one, or others from this department, from time to time.  The lettering is virtually invisible if you're more than a few degrees away from perpendicular.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:50:31 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:52:36 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I edited my post some. I don't disagree that some departments have them. Just everyone on here acts like they are universal.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
I always laugh at all of you who say "quotas" and things like that.  Some departments might have them, but I've never heard of them around here.  I believe my current ticket book was issued to me in June 2015 and it still has quite a few left in it.  They come with 20 in them.  Only tickets we every really write are from traffic crashes.  Other departments I worked for I wrote speeding and other tickets, but we also had the time to work traffic there
There are large agencies in NY that absolposlutely have quotas.    

You'd be working 11-7 in Plattsburgh for the rest of your career with that kind of attitude in NY, mister

I edited my post some. I don't disagree that some departments have them. Just everyone on here acts like they are universal.

I believe some departments do without any reserve... when i drive through my neighborhood and pass 3 different guys trying to hide with a radar gun out their window.. pretty obvious
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:53:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:53:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
gotta write those 30 tickets a month
View Quote

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:55:33 AM EDT
[#27]
State Troopers in the Little Rock area used to have Camaros with "state trooper" in small letters on the passenger door only.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:55:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:56:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Here's an old(er) school HPD traffic car. Well marked, and in that special HPD blue that could be spotted from a mile+ away...

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:57:16 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Revenue
View Quote

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:57:42 AM EDT
[#31]

C'mon, the bumper grill is a dead give away then again I give Impalas, Chargers Tahoes, etc an extra look. Blacked out windows, low profile tires and black wheels screams COP. Look for the antennas on the trunk for final verification.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:58:54 AM EDT
[#32]
Part revenue, sure.

Part of it also is the principal that it's more important to see how people act when they don't think the police are around.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 10:59:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Here's the deal as I understand it down here at least, as explained in the last inservice. There's been some changes in laws that effect how police run traffic enforcement on certain highways, specifically divided highways, interstates, fed dot roads. It basically says marked units have to do traffic enforcement have to be marked, so this is a stealthy work around. I think there's exceptions for unmarked cars that see violations while going from a to b, as well as the anti drug units, but regular traffic/ speed enforcement has to have their cars marked.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
It's something like 28 actually. How you fail to make that if you are actually sober escapes me. It's still illegal but whatever, New York is New York  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
gotta write those 30 tickets a month

It's something like 28 actually. How you fail to make that if you are actually sober escapes me. It's still illegal but whatever, New York is New York  

It was 20 a month when I was assigned to regular patrol (didn't have to be all moving violations), 125 traffic violations a month when I was in traffic.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:00:51 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Here's an old(er) school HPD traffic car. Well marked, and in that special HPD blue that could be spotted from a mile+ away...
http://i.imgur.com/U9Nqkmx.jpg
View Quote

Mark it out, people will still pass cops 30+ psl.

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:01:46 AM EDT
[#36]
Unmarked traffic cars are not legal in Ga., slicktops are restricted by law, but many agencies are ignoring the law as it has no penalty. Have to have 4 inch lettering on three sides to be legal. As for me, I like a plainly marked car. That ghost lettering is really visible at night though. Marietta has ghost stripes on the back of their black and whites.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:02:01 AM EDT
[#37]
Ga. law says contrasting letters . I see this all the time . Policing is a for profit operation in many departments
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:03:16 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

C'mon, the bumper grill is a dead give away then again I give Impalas, Chargers Tahoes, etc an extra look. Blacked out windows, low profile tires and black wheels screams COP. Look for the antennas on the trunk for final verification.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

If you're behind them, just look at the plate.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:03:52 AM EDT
[#39]
I love ghost lettering.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:04:54 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
I love ghost lettering.
View Quote

It sounds like a way to be unmarked while you put on your innocent face and pretend you're not.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:06:06 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr167/rx79gez8gundam/txdps_85_ssp_side_view.jpg

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i.imgur.com/U9Nqkmx.jpg

http://i480.photobucket.com/albums/rr167/rx79gez8gundam/txdps_85_ssp_side_view.jpg

Back in the day, I loved those old DPS Mustangs.  Should have bought one cheap when they were auctioned off years ago.  

Of course, as a Texan, I'm required to have an irrational love of Fox bodies...in accordance with prophesy.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:07:35 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
Yeah I saw a black on black over the weekend. Looks cool, not sure why you wouldn't just have it unmarked.  

Doesn't matter to me, the only time I get speed tickets is driving home tired and not paying attention. I wouldn't intentionally speed past a suspiciously odd looking Ford suv in the parking lot of a closed funeral home at a 11pm even if it didn't have reflective marking
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's all it is, we have black on black and they look pretty freakin' slick. Also, the lettering is highly reflective.
Yeah I saw a black on black over the weekend. Looks cool, not sure why you wouldn't just have it unmarked.  

Doesn't matter to me, the only time I get speed tickets is driving home tired and not paying attention. I wouldn't intentionally speed past a suspiciously odd looking Ford suv in the parking lot of a closed funeral home at a 11pm even if it didn't have reflective marking

Obviously it varies state to state but generally, almost all of your patrol cars are going to be marked.

As for the usual suspects crying "revenue generation", a slick top does more to avoid detection than ghost lettering considering that if I'm running radar I'm most likely facing toward you or away from you making my cruisers markings a moot point.

Also, the profile of a police cruiser isn't really all that hard to detect. I see a car parked conspicuously just off the road or in a parking lot I'm probably just going to slow down anyway.

I can also assure you guys that at my department at least, the primary reason givin for why we went with black on black was because its "badass".
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:07:58 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So you accused the wrong cop of writing you an earlier ticket and he was polite while you made this accusation into his tummy camera?  So he has video of you accusing him (wrongly) of writing you a different ticket earlier and just smiled and let you go on?  So video of you mis identifying the officer and admitting that you got a ticket in the same place a week earlier?  Can attorneys tell them selves to be quiet?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Gotta meet the ticket quota.
Last two tickets I got were from the cars with the regular "Speed Trap, New York" markings in color. I would assume they are all reflective anyway.  

Locally I believe the speed traps are referred to as "penguin snares"

Lulz.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#44]
What I want to know is why Police are stuck in 1940's technology?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:09:01 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

It sounds like a way to be unmarked while you put on your innocent face and pretend you're not.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I love ghost lettering.

Meh.....

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:10:27 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
View Quote

Such as?
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:13:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Such as?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Such as?

He's going to say radar.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:14:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
You need unmarked cars for some stuff. Even I'm not that cuckoo But patrol cars that do traffic enforcement with uniformed officers in them? Put a sticker on the side  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Frankly all police vehicles should be clearly marked.  None of this bullshit stealth operators.  

lol, no

yes.  
You need unmarked cars for some stuff. Even I'm not that cuckoo But patrol cars that do traffic enforcement with uniformed officers in them? Put a sticker on the side  

This, in my agency unmarked cars have to call for backup to pull someone over, and our marked units are obvious as hell.
Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:14:21 AM EDT
[#49]
Unmarked slick top cars should not be working "traffic squad".  

Dangerous as shit.  

Link Posted: 4/26/2016 11:15:50 AM EDT
[#50]
Maybe they don't want people to know they are cops due to embarrassment?  
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top